Tourism leaders determined to see com...

Tourism leaders determined to see commission succeed

There are 21 comments on the Harlan Daily Enterprise story from Apr 19, 2012, titled Tourism leaders determined to see commission succeed. In it, Harlan Daily Enterprise reports that:

Local Folks Local tourism leaders hoping to shed more light on their corners of the county are tackling their goals with the formation of a countywide commission that will pull together resources in an effort to move Harlan County up the tourism chain.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Harlan Daily Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LOL

Somerset, KY

#1 Apr 21, 2012
Here is a thought, let's put in something to attract people, and we won't need another commission! It is gonna take more than a commission to get folks to want to come see our trash on the side of the road! Let me see, Disney World or Harlan?
don

Tishomingo, MS

#2 Apr 21, 2012
I wish we could all work together as a community this includes especially mayors and magistrates and the people associated with magistrates. To make Cumberland a better place instead of being jealous over the hard work that a few people in the Tourism have done
to improve what little we have left. Thank you cumberland Tourism ....
Realist

London, KY

#3 May 18, 2012
Tourism determined. Where do they get their inspiration? Do they study the history of Dolly Parton? Walt Dizney? What keeps driving these nuts to force feed us what 85% of the county is against. We are not a tourist destination. Who goes to coal camps for vacation? So much money is going into the pockets of the families that have been controlling our county for decades. Look at the board members and their relations to these families. The newspaper is the tourism boards worst enemy. Every story is about how they can never agree on anything, and how much money has been wasted. Middlesboro, Ky is home to one of the most influential landmarks in our Country's history and it is not a tourist town. What makes you think Harlan county is? Is it because they make movies and write songs about us? Newsflash! These songs and shows depict how bad we are. Let's make up some T-shirts.
"I vacationed in Harlan, Ky. Now I appreciated where I live!"

“Hopping around Topix”

Since: Nov 08

On The Highway To Hell

#4 May 18, 2012
I`m kinda partial to a Bloody Harlan Co'T-Shirt, just wonder how many of the Tourists are ? or never leave Harlan alive,now I do like that song!!
LOL

Pella, IA

#6 May 18, 2012
You would promote it too if you collected that 3% restaurant tax and grant money so you could make 50 grand a year with a 12th grade education!
LOL

Pella, IA

#7 May 18, 2012
What person in their right mind would spend money to see Cumberland? It looks like hell, no place to go, wall to wall trash on the road sides, nothing to do except watch the grass grow. If a tourist showed up, he would be charged 20 bucks a gallon for gas to leave! LOL

“Hopping around Topix”

Since: Nov 08

On The Highway To Hell

#8 May 18, 2012
LOL wrote:
You would promote it too if you collected that 3% restaurant tax and grant money so you could make 50 grand a year with a 12th grade education!
You make it sound like one person is collecting and keeping that Tax money, If that`s true who is it? or give some initials or some thing cause i`d like to know that and i`m sure others would too!
Rob

Broken Arrow, OK

#9 May 18, 2012
Wabbit wrote:
<quoted text>You make it sound like one person is collecting and keeping that Tax money, If that`s true who is it? or give some initials or some thing cause i`d like to know that and i`m sure others would too!
Yeah wabbit i would like to know that too, but i have a feeling we wont see that, unless its an uneducated guess or just a name thrown out there.
sad people

United States

#10 May 18, 2012
don wrote:
I wish we could all work together as a community this includes especially mayors and magistrates and the people associated with magistrates. To make Cumberland a better place instead of being jealous over the hard work that a few people in the Tourism have done
to improve what little we have left. Thank you cumberland Tourism ....
come on don
where the hell have you been living.
you must be one of those crones on the board sucking up money in the name of tourism. what have you guys actually done. nothing except hold other businesses out.
show me one thing the chamber has done to make this place better.
how about an ordinance to make the people who own the buildings in town that are falling in to clean them up or tear them down at the owners expense. does anyone say hell yes
must be a mayor

United States

#11 May 18, 2012
I know who u r...
sad people wrote:
<quoted text>
come on don
where the hell have you been living.
you must be one of those crones on the board sucking up money in the name of tourism. what have you guys actually done. nothing except hold other businesses out.
show me one thing the chamber has done to make this place better.
how about an ordinance to make the people who own the buildings in town that are falling in to clean them up or tear them down at the owners expense. does anyone say hell yes
LOL

Pella, IA

#13 May 19, 2012
LOL wrote:
What person in their right mind would spend money to see Cumberland? It looks like hell, no place to go, wall to wall trash on the road sides, nothing to do except watch the grass grow. If a tourist showed up, he would be charged 20 bucks a gallon for gas to leave! LOL
It is all in the bank in the control of who? Did you hire them to watch over your money? Do they have any prior experience in promoting tourism? What is their education level? What progress have they made? How much do they have? What do they pay employees? Are they hired because of qualifications or what? Why have we been paying people for years to promote something that has never happened? Look around you!
LOL

Pella, IA

#14 May 19, 2012
Harlan and other areas have made big gains toward improvments with the 4 wheels and zip line. We still have the same old tired ideas that have dried the place up! We had a shot at a theme park,and other things over the tears, but we never had anyone who was capable of getting these things done. The people on the other end of the county work together insted of fighting, and they have people who can make decisions insted of nit picking to start trouble. We had tourism thrown in our laps by Loretta Lynn and didn't want it, so why are we still trying to promote it?
LOL

Pella, IA

#15 May 19, 2012
Sorry to the people of Harlan, you are getting things done, I didn't realize this was posted on your topix also. All that happens in the tri cities is fighting, arguing, and greed! There is some signs of life from Putney your way! May or may not be perfect, but at least you can see something that takes in a dollar insted of a total loss!
tired of the sh_t

Greenbrier, AR

#16 May 20, 2012
When you try to make a tourist attraction you plan it through. You plane the parking situation and the camping facilities. You don't run it through a small town and up a one lane holler road where it disrupts the lives of every citizen involved; where at 3:00 A.M. in the morning you have drunk idiots shifting their vehicles into neutral and holding the accelerator to the floor so that working people have to be awakened to that sh!t on a constant basis. the last time I called the city police and complained they said they have no jurisdiction in baileys Creek; my response "then why the hell are you up in here all the time" for some reason I got hung up on; unprofessional, minimum wage paid police, what do you expect. If the Board members had to put up with a bunch of drunk overbearing [email protected] every weekend they would not be so hot to promote it. Oh, and before some park suck says "if you don't like it move" [email protected] you; I was here before this curse came along and should not have to change my life for it. But I am as hateful to as many as I can and don't slow down for them. Hope other counties develop a better situation and this one dries up and blows away
Realist

London, KY

#18 May 21, 2012
When a negative comment is made regarding the problems with ATV tourism. The response is always "it's the locals, not the visitors." We have all witnessed the rude and disrespectfulness of the people who come into our town.
lol

Harlan, KY

#19 May 21, 2012
Why don't they try to get factories back in Harlan so people can have a damn job to go to this damn so called parks there all a bunch of money greeding well u know its great for others out of towners to come here and spend money because they live where the jobs are what do we have now low paying jobs lucky if we pay our bills and eat b/s with these damn parks we need good jobs
Realist

London, KY

#20 May 21, 2012
How many jobs (other than the dozen or so now) can tourism provide? Is there any new restruants open? the housing situation is a digrace in itself. There are lots of people around this county that cannot afford a home. In Evarts, these rental homes are no longer available. They are now rented for the "vacationer" That small inconsideration is just the tip of the iceberg as to the negative effects tourism has on Harlan County. Shouldn't the goal be for folks to visit our town and county for its beauty and not for what we can let them destroy? Spend some of this damn tourism investment money and clean up the place we live.
As for Evarts and the other towns of this county, we are rich in history with no long term traditions or festivals. The more we celebrate what we have TOGETHER, the more we can grow to appreciate what we have.
For Real

Harlan, KY

#21 May 21, 2012
The poke sallet festival is the second oldest in the entire state jackA$$
Whoa

London, KY

#22 May 21, 2012
For Real wrote:
The poke sallet festival is the second oldest in the entire state jackA$$
Yea and that festival sucks!!
For Real

Harlan, KY

#23 May 21, 2012
Dont go, and save your money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lynch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2017 tmmi bonus 1 hr sorry 15
Kelly Services Tmmk (Nov '11) 2 hr Advice 1,186
Drug dealers 3 hr Kim 1
Haddix Construction LLC (Sep '16) 4 hr Owner 12
K-mart 4 hr nada 13
people have to pretend you're a bad person 5 hr intelligent 13
Wyndamere 8 hr Leaving soon 20

Lynch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance