Borough Lets Go Of Police Department

Apr 17, 2008 Read more: WGAL 14

In Dauphin County, Williamstown is dropping its police department. The borough council said the department was taking up about half of its budget, so it's letting Chief Ron Frederick and four part-time officers ... via WGAL

Read more
marissa

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Apr 21, 2008
grrreat!!! let the crime begin here in our little TOWN!!!
Lykens Mom

Vineland, NJ

#2 Apr 22, 2008
Yeah and don't count on the state police you can report a drug house over and over to them and they do nothing. Good luck we have the same problem in Lykens and Eville.
Shawn

Lititz, PA

#3 May 21, 2008
I AM SO GLAD TO SEE YOUR BOROUGH COUNCIL MADE A "VERY BAD ERROR" HOPEFULLY, ONE OF YOUR COUNCIL MEMBERS NEED A POLICE OFFICER IN THE FUTURE, AND THEY HAVE TO WAIT OVER AN HOUR FOR THE STATE POLICE TO SHOW UP! THEY TOO ARE UNDERSTAFFED..... THIS IS SO STUPID FOR YOU PEOPLE THAT ARE ELECTED OFFICALS TO DO THIS TO YOUR TAX PAYERS!!! I HOPE TO HELL NOTHING BAD HAPPENS IN YOUR TOWN, GOD BLESS THE GOOD PEOPLE IN WILLIAMSTOWN PA!!!! WRITING TO YOU FROM TAMAQUA PENNSYLVANIA
john doe

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Jun 16, 2008
Yes! But the boroughs ex- water company manger stole thousands of dollars on two occasions over the years. Wasnt fired till the second time. But not prosecuted or expected to pay it back. How much of williamstowns budget did he tap into.Maybe if williamstowns borough council wouldve pressed charges and recovered our money we would have a police force. makes you wonder who gave them the power to allow a criminal to walk away with taxpayers money like its theirs. makes you wonder who else got their hands in the cookie jar. was somebody afraid our police dept. was getting to close.
Wmstown Jane

Mechanicsburg, PA

#5 Jul 8, 2008
I just want to tell you that for years, the police force was on duty - or so we thought. they were never in town when you needed them. They were here there, and everywhere. The town is better off without them. The state police are in town more than they were ever before to offer their protection. If we wouldn't have such scum living in our town like up on Laurel Hill, etc., maybe all this "crime" wouldn't be an issue.
williamstown resident

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Jul 10, 2008
And we thought it was bad before? I honestly can't wait to move out of the borough. The water and sewer bills magically keep going up for "repairs"... more like to make up for the money that was stolen...We're expected to pay increased prices but see nothing from it and have nothing that a normal town has like safety and crime control. I see so much scum in the valley and it keeps moving in and we don't have the police force to help when it gets worse.
I understand

Mechanicsburg, PA

#7 Jul 21, 2008
I understand that everyone is pissed off about the lack of police in town. BUT... from a personal stand point of knowing what goes on in the boro, for years, we were paying for these police to be there, but yet, no one got pulled over and the drug crimes and whatnot continued to go on. They were never around when they were 'on the clock.' The boro tried to get a time clock for them to punch in and out, and instead they were offended by that. Just like with my job, I have to be here for 8 hours during the day. I can't just "say" I was there and never show up and expected to get paid... well, that is what Frederick and Booglio did. They never were around, but yet the boro continued to pay for them. Now with them gone, we have more police coverage from the State Police, which is excellent because THEY actually do something about this drug problem & whatnot. So don't BITCH if you don't know the story. You people talk about money wasted - well, when we had the cops in town, THAT was money wasted, and now that the boro is saving that money, people still aren't satisfied. If you don't f'in' like it, then move the hell away from here.
Dane

Hazleton, PA

#8 Aug 1, 2008
I think it a good idea to get rid of the police department now all the not so honest councilmen and women can conduct their dirty business without anyone watching over them. It was also a good idea since that was by far the best policeman the borough of Williamstown ever had. At least they were honest guys unlike past officers/Chiefs. Good job to the council of Williamstown keep up the good work.
Danny H

Hazleton, PA

#9 Aug 1, 2008
I understand, it appears you were arrested or about to be arrested at some point by one of the officers and from a personal standpoint of knowing what goes on in the borough for years……. How much money did you milk out of them and this is really how you know “personal” what goes on. Yes, the borough is saving money but isn’t the “borough’s” responsible to make sure the officers were at work when they were suppose to be??? Yes, again your right stop BITCHING if you don’t know the story. I see you do……….
I understand wrote:
I understand that everyone is pissed off about the lack of police in town. BUT... from a personal stand point of knowing what goes on in the boro, for years, we were paying for these police to be there, but yet, no one got pulled over and the drug crimes and whatnot continued to go on. They were never around when they were 'on the clock.' The boro tried to get a time clock for them to punch in and out, and instead they were offended by that. Just like with my job, I have to be here for 8 hours during the day. I can't just "say" I was there and never show up and expected to get paid... well, that is what Frederick and Booglio did. They never were around, but yet the boro continued to pay for them. Now with them gone, we have more police coverage from the State Police, which is excellent because THEY actually do something about this drug problem & whatnot. So don't BITCH if you don't know the story. You people talk about money wasted - well, when we had the cops in town, THAT was money wasted, and now that the boro is saving that money, people still aren't satisfied. If you don't f'in' like it, then move the hell away from here.
Vandalism

Mechanicsburg, PA

#10 Aug 20, 2008
I had two of my vehicles vandalized last night buy a bunch of, what is probably Section 8 hoodlums, that were brought in to rent the welfare apartments our former police chief rents out. Just another good reason to bring back a police force into town but I totally agree with you Danny H, we have to keep the cops out to cover up the dirty business that goes on in town. I'm so tired of paying taxes for no reason. I get home from working 8.5 hours and then a 1 hour drive each way and I see 2 blocks full of welfare scum lounging out talking about what they watched on Jerry Springer today. It makes me sick!!!! Something needs to be done about this crap. Our town is now referred to as the ahole of the county and I totally agree with the people who say that. We need to come together as a town and get rid of every single council member and replace them with people who we can trust with our money and the future of the town.
Blonde731

Harrisburg, PA

#11 Aug 28, 2008
i agree with you vandalism. and to even let these scums show their face on tv to talk about moving out of their apartments. now everyone will think that is what we all look like in the town. GROSS!
Katy Perry

Mechanicsburg, PA

#12 Aug 28, 2008
Excuse me ahole... but I happen to know what goes on at boro and everything else DANNY. I have never been arrested, nor am I about to. These people bitch that the police don't do anything in town, so then they get rid of them for not doing their job and save taxpayer money and now everyone is bitching again. It appears that you are from Palmerton, so please, go crawl in a hole you came from.
Danny H wrote:
I understand, it appears you were arrested or about to be arrested at some point by one of the officers and from a personal standpoint of knowing what goes on in the borough for years……. How much money did you milk out of them and this is really how you know “personal” what goes on. Yes, the borough is saving money but isn’t the “borough’s” responsible to make sure the officers were at work when they were suppose to be??? Yes, again your right stop BITCHING if you don’t know the story. I see you do……….
<quoted text>
M Galloway

Monroeville, AL

#13 Nov 4, 2008
I do not live anywhere near this but is seems like to me that instead of doing away with the police department they needed to restructure it. if the police were not doing their job then get different officers who are going to. A police department is a vital part of a community and if done right and follow the laws of the state can not only be great for the community but bring in enough revenue to support the department.
Regreting moving in town

Marcus Hook, PA

#14 Feb 17, 2014
Township is wasting money to employees that are not doing anything. Having one employee calling him so-called road supervisor is a joke. Paying the employee $14 to $15.00 an hour like I say is a joke. Township should privizate to save the funds. We could get rid of the town supervisor and the employees, sale all the equipments and hire two police officers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lykens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lykens Police Hiring procedures (Jan '08) Mar '15 sneakypete 8
witmer family please respond (Sep '14) Sep '14 girlie 1
News Police: Careless smoking caused fatal Lykens fire (Mar '14) Aug '14 silly rabbit 3
News 67 year old man faces charges for alleged relat... (Apr '14) Apr '14 softball fan 2
Whatever Happened To Big Boobs In John's Apartm... (Aug '08) Jan '14 Your Mother 20
News Couple charged with child abuse (Nov '06) Sep '13 Polly 6
The Large st Free Onl ine Dating Website! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Marian Reeser 1
More from around the web

Lykens People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]