Luling ISD- Accountability
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
concerned

Wharton, TX

#41 Aug 22, 2011
bystander wrote:
I have obsrved with astonishment at the "small town politics" that have "run amuck" in Luling Texas.
Having been involved in and around education my entire life, it is always easy to spot a hidden agenda by citizens who had a friend/relative terminated, their child didn't get to play sports, etc.
You folks have a fine man leading your distris hoct--as a matter of fact, he was counseled against even taking that job because Luling was ranked 9th from the bottom of ALL Texas schools!!!! Sounds like someone needed to come in and make changes.
God help the next superintendent who comes to town and wants to make changes to improve this school district. Let's hope that Mr. Conkle has a hobby by then.
9th from the bottom of what list? Data or citation?
better things to do

Austin, TX

#42 Aug 29, 2011
science teacher wrote:
Texas has a BIG problem with ex-coach administrators....Go to just about any district and compare the stadium/athletic facilities with the library. The community/board is also to blame.

Coaches don't teach academic subjects well and pressure other teachers to give passing grades to athletes.

The Luling Superintendant has been arrogant and vindictive and loose with district's money-fire him, the coaches, and concentrate on arts and sciences and learning.
Guess you haven't worked with the right coaches then mr. Wizard. Why should the teachers/coaches suffer because of something the supt did? And when was the last time the library brought in thousands of dollars in one night? Maybe that's why the "arts and sciences" aren't as nice. Just because a school has nice facilities doesn't mean they didn't fundraise for it. When's the last time you had a bake sale to buy new triple beam balances??? My guess is probably never, you just want someone to give you the money!
SAYAGAIN

San Antonio, TX

#43 Sep 1, 2011
better things to do wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess you haven't worked with the right coaches then mr. Wizard. Why should the teachers/coaches suffer because of something the supt did? And when was the last time the library brought in thousands of dollars in one night? Maybe that's why the "arts and sciences" aren't as nice. Just because a school has nice facilities doesn't mean they didn't fundraise for it. When's the last time you had a bake sale to buy new triple beam balances??? My guess is probably never, you just want someone to give you the money!
Spoken like a true jock. You hit the nail on the head about the money, "thousands of dollars", football brings in. But what you don't want to bring up id how that additional revenue has been spent. Like the coach who wanted to go to a conference in Las Vegas and the superintendent telling folks the coach would only get the same amount of money for the trip regardless of where he went-any difference in expenses would have to be borne by the coach. Why then, did two coaches take this trip? And why don't YOU check out ALL of the expense vouchers for this trip to see if what the Davis told the board was actually what transpired.

An educational institution should not be a profit making oranization within the community and it certainly should not be placed on a list of fund raisers as are local charities. By the way-look into what some of the fundraisers, done by and for the students, have been used for. The coaching staff dresses pretty well by tapping the kids' piggy banks. As far the grass being greener on the baseball field than the football field, maybe the idea is to reward a lesser sport who went further into playoffs than than another sport or two did with a larger water ration-or maybe the taxpayers' felt generous during the summer and begged the school board to water more at the baseball field than the football field out of spite.(The watering of the fields comment was made with tounge in cheek).
better things to do

Austin, TX

#44 Sep 2, 2011
SAYAGAIN wrote:
<quoted text>Spoken like a true jock. You hit the nail on the head about the money, "thousands of dollars", football brings in. But what you don't want to bring up id how that additional revenue has been spent. Like the coach who wanted to go to a conference in Las Vegas and the superintendent telling folks the coach would only get the same amount of money for the trip regardless of where he went-any difference in expenses would have to be borne by the coach. Why then, did two coaches take this trip? And why don't YOU check out ALL of the expense vouchers for this trip to see if what the Davis told the board was actually what transpired.

An educational institution should not be a profit making oranization within the community and it certainly should not be placed on a list of fund raisers as are local charities. By the way-look into what some of the fundraisers, done by and for the students, have been used for. The coaching staff dresses pretty well by tapping the kids' piggy banks. As far the grass being greener on the baseball field than the football field, maybe the idea is to reward a lesser sport who went further into playoffs than than another sport or two did with a larger water ration-or maybe the taxpayers' felt generous during the summer and begged the school board to water more at the baseball field than the football field out of spite.(The watering of the fields comment was made with tounge in cheek).
So you are saying that two coaches wouldn't go to a conference anywhere else?? As in the one in san Antonio they have BOTH previously gone to before? Seems you need to get your facts straight instead of listening to your jaded buddies...by the way, how much money do taxpayers pay for well water? And fundraising believe it or not goes straight back to the kids. There is such a thing as an athletic budget that is spent for coaches clothing(however petty a gripe that is).
jbc

United States

#45 Sep 3, 2011
better things to do wrote:
<quoted text>So you are saying that two coaches wouldn't go to a conference anywhere else?? As in the one in san Antonio they have BOTH previously gone to before? Seems you need to get your facts straight instead of listening to your jaded buddies...by the way, how much money do taxpayers pay for well water? And fundraising believe it or not goes straight back to the kids. There is such a thing as an athletic budget that is spent for coaches clothing(however petty a gripe that is).
Ask the AD what money he used pay for the Under Amor suites he got the football coaches last November. From AD mouth "I didn't use budget money for those I got them with fundraising money". The football coaches gave me a 110%". When the AD gave them to the football coaches he told them Merry Christmas. I was told this by a football coach. I always thought if you gave a gift for Christmas you paid for it unless of you OWN you own business. I don't believe the AD owns his own business.
SAYAGAIN

San Antonio, TX

#46 Sep 3, 2011
BETTER, seems jbc gave you a quoted fact. You got what you asked for, and you are going to conitinue getting what you ask for until you come up with some "facts" of your own, not just some off the wall crao for an excuse. As a matter-of-facts, I dare you to request the "facts" on the from the district business office-like most of us do.

And as far as me asking about where these two coaches went for a "conference", Las Vegas, give me a break. You think everyone but coaches are dumb butts and can't say the words "conference in Las Vegas" with a "tounge-in-cheek" question mark.
Quit weeing down our legs and try telling us it's raining outside.(Better get some rain on the football field-don't worry about the baseball field-and quit sending coaches to conferences in Las Vegas and put the money into the water bill so we all can enjoy it of Friday Nite Lights).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Luling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Sat Fartman 904
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jul 1 Farters 742
Looking for emily hurtado May '15 Rox 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Texas (Dis... (Oct '10) Apr '15 Brandy 50
looking fo my sister Feb '15 debbie 1
help me find my sister Feb '15 debbie 1
News Big Hops to open beer bar near downtown Jan '15 Leachmark707 1
More from around the web

Luling People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Luling Mortgages