2-year-old mauled and killed by dog

2-year-old mauled and killed by dog

There are 70 comments on the WOAI story from Mar 26, 2009, titled 2-year-old mauled and killed by dog. In it, WOAI reports that:

When Luling PD officers arrived at the home in the 900 block of Hackberry, they found the child's body with a female pit bull dog next to him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOAI.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
I Richie Huston

United States

#1 Mar 28, 2009
I am so sad to read about this horrible death of an innocent child. The city of Luling Tx can and must act quickly to ban this kind of potentially dangerous dog in the city. I know many people believe they are harmless...however how many lives must be lost before you ...ACT...Do it for this one child who lost his life... this type of animal is most often kept to protect CRIMINALS...Peace LULING
Tx you are always in my prayers.
PLEASE HELP

San Antonio, TX

#2 Mar 31, 2009
I very much agree on the comment above about these dogs we must stop them now!!!!!!!!! What are we waiting for, everyone always thinks no this wont ever happen to me or my child, but Im pretty sure the family that is in sorrow right now thought the same way we did. we can never take a chance, its eather these dangerous dogs or our children.
Mother of three

San Antonio, TX

#3 Apr 1, 2009
What happened to this baby was horrible but the person at falt is the mother. She was asleep and had been all morning while her 2 year old child wandered around unfeed and unchanged since that night...Yes pits can be dangerous so can any other breed of dog that could have been any agressive animal tied in the backyard and that poor child still would have been hurt because his lazy mother was more worried about sleeping rather than taking care of here baby...How in the world goes hours with out checking on a two year old???
Outraged

Canonsburg, PA

#4 Apr 1, 2009
I blame the mother for this tragic death! Tired or not there was the life of an innocent 2 year old here! The mother is 100% blame here.
MKS

Jarrell, TX

#5 Apr 1, 2009
In response to the "mother of 3". You are making some harsh accusations against Tyson's mother. do you know her? Were you there? I know the family, and she and Tyson were asleep late that morning. He was not wandering around, unchanged, and hungry while his lazy mother slept. He got out of bed without waking his mom, and went outside. the mother's only fault was that she forgot to lock the deadbolt on the house. To accuse this mother of being lazy and neglecting her child, was unfair, unless you know exactly what happened.
mother of three

Kyle, TX

#6 Apr 2, 2009
I have great insight in to how she was raising her children..why has CPS been called numerous times on her. I know of a few times when Tyson was wandering outside alone while she slept and friends would take him and wake MELISSA and she would laugh it off as if it were cute. I have a toddler and no matter how late they stayed up the night before which is rare for them to be up after 9..they are still up and going by 7:30 the next morning. But you might be right maybe she was getting up every now and then to check on him,,or maybe not..The autopsy report will tell the truth in weather it had been minutes or HOURS since she had last checked on him...
mother of three

Kyle, TX

#7 Apr 2, 2009
I am the sister of mother of three.There is enough blame to go around. Starting with me, I saw that this woman was a terribly neglectful to her children and in the pit of my stomach felt a strong urge to report her to cps.A choice I will regret for the rest of my life.Tyson was a beautiful boy, with a smile that could melt any heart.I hope justice is served.This woman has three children by three diffrent men,two of the fathers are brothers, she is pregnant again with another mans child.Melissas mother had no room for her in her home,(I was told).she has lived at four diffrent homes with numerous families in a short time.
MKS

Jarrell, TX

#8 Apr 3, 2009
To the mother of 3 and her sister... I stand corrected, and you have my apology. I see that you know Melissa... I thought you were a bystander passing judgement. I think I have been wanting to defend Melissa.. because of her current state of grief, and I guess, trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. I have known Melissa and her family since she was 10 years old, and I know the troubled life and bad choices she has made for years. I have felt, for years, that Melissa needed intervention.. therapy, perhaps medication. I was unaware that CPS had been called, or that Tyson had a history of being outside unsupervised. I am a teacher, and mother of a 22 year old daughter, who is almost finished with college. I was overprotective with her, and am appalled at parents lack of care for their children. I was hoping that Melissa had somehow turned her life around, but, yes.. upon finding out she is currently pregnant, proved me wrong.
I hope she gets the help she needs.. and by no means, should she keep this baby she is pregnant with. He needs to be placed for adoption. You see, my daughter was adopted when she was 3 days old, and her birthmom was Melissa's mother. melissa was 2 at the time, and her mom knew that her next child deserved a better life, and I have been blessed to be that child's mother. You are right.. Melissa's mom has 4 daughters living at home, and I know it is difficult for her to take in Melissa and Valerie. I am trying to help them out as I can.. and am continuing to pray for some healthy intervention in Melissa's life.
Concerned

Austin, TX

#9 Apr 3, 2009
To the so called 'friends' and family members of Melissa....PLEASE STOP THIS!

This is not what she needs.
Be responsible and do not act on these hateful forums.
Angrier Mother - TX

Austin, TX

#10 Apr 3, 2009
MKS wrote:
To the mother of 3 and her sister... I stand corrected, and you have my apology. I see that you know Melissa... I thought you were a bystander passing judgement. I think I have been wanting to defend Melissa.. because of her current state of grief, and I guess, trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. I have known Melissa and her family since she was 10 years old, and I know the troubled life and bad choices she has made for years. I have felt, for years, that Melissa needed intervention.. therapy, perhaps medication. I was unaware that CPS had been called, or that Tyson had a history of being outside unsupervised. I am a teacher, and mother of a 22 year old daughter, who is almost finished with college. I was overprotective with her, and am appalled at parents lack of care for their children. I was hoping that Melissa had somehow turned her life around, but, yes.. upon finding out she is currently pregnant, proved me wrong.
I hope she gets the help she needs.. and by no means, should she keep this baby she is pregnant with. He needs to be placed for adoption. You see, my daughter was adopted when she was 3 days old, and her birthmom was Melissa's mother. melissa was 2 at the time, and her mom knew that her next child deserved a better life, and I have been blessed to be that child's mother. You are right.. Melissa's mom has 4 daughters living at home, and I know it is difficult for her to take in Melissa and Valerie. I am trying to help them out as I can.. and am continuing to pray for some healthy intervention in Melissa's life.
Really?
Lorry would not appreciate you on this forum.
Enough said.
mks

United States

#11 Apr 4, 2009
You are right. I have never blogged before, and, originally I did so to defend Melissa. I love Lorry and her family and did not mean to be negative at all towards Melissa. Thank you for correcting me and putting me in my place.
mother of three

Kyle, TX

#12 Apr 4, 2009
mks I really don't think you or I have anything to apoligize for.. Angrier just posted that she thought Mellisa should be charged with neglect on another topic. Someone should be held responsible for what happened..But justice will come God is in control of this not anyone else.
But in my opinion she should be charged with neglegent homocide.
mks

United States

#13 Apr 4, 2009
Mother of Three.. Thank you for your comment. This is such a difficult issue and it had been on my mind and in my heart all week. I feel anger, love, and sadness.. all at once, it seems. Things usually roll off of me fairly quickly, but this event isn't. I don't know..part of me feels like Melissa is going to suffer enough, just living with herself. That, perhaps is punishment enough. Perhaps taxpaper money should be used to help Melissa and make sure her daughter is safe, instead of on prison for her. I would love to see Melissa get on the right path with her life.
Your are right about God being in control. All we as humans can do is process our thoughts and feelings.
Opinions are likeTx

Broadview Heights, OH

#14 Apr 6, 2009
No matter your thoughts and opinions....
If you know this family personally. You should not be posting their "dirty laundry" for all the world to see in such a public forum. I don't know Melissa but would love to give another mother the benefit of the doubt that she loved her child. That girl just like everyone else has her own judgement day to face -
Maybe she didn't have the best upbringing, maybe she hasn't made the wisest choices in life (I don't know the family personally just gathering info from people's post who do know her). But the guilt she must be living with at this point and for the rest of her life is enough. Her beautiful little baby is gone.
The woulda/shoulda/coulda of reporting her for neglect, not leaving the dog chained in the backyard while kids were home are pointless now. It doesn't bring him back.
RIP baby Tyson!!
Mother of three

Kyle, TX

#15 Apr 8, 2009
your right (opinions are like T)
the only reason I am speaking out is because it upsets me to see people defending Melissa because they have no idea who or how she was. This baby desreves justice and that is through his mother. I usderstand she is hurting way more than any of us could ever understand but at the same time being a mother of three I would never sleep till noon no matter what. My children eat breakfast at 8 snack at 10 eat lunch by 11:30 or 12 that is three feeding by noon this baby had not been checked on since 6:30 that morning does that bother no one but me??? That totally suprises me..and another thing that bothers me is why didn't she pick her baby up I can't imagine that I would hav eleft my baby laying on the ground next to the dog that just killed him. That shows what kind of mom she was or acctualy how little of a mom she was.
Opinions are likeTx

Broadview Heights, OH

#16 Apr 9, 2009
Someone does have to give justice to baby Tyson. That is for law enforcement to decide and then perhaps our court systems don't ya think? Not Tysons "friends" of the family.
TysonsMom

Austin, TX

#17 Apr 30, 2009
I love my baby very much. I love all my kids. I do not know where the mother of 3 is getting her information. CPS has not been called on me several times and Tyson never had a history of wondering off. He was a real momma's boy and would cry if I even was out of sight. My Tyson was the most important part of my life. No one will ever know how much he means to me. She clearly does not personally know me. Anyone who does, knows how protective I am over my children. I left my husband of 3 years in November08 because of abuse and his drug addiction and the ongoing fighting in front of the kids. I came back to Texas in hopes of a fresh start. Closer to my 4 year old in Luling seemed just the right place to start. I did get back with my 4 year olds dad at his request. I really thought it could work this time. Tyson really loved being there with all the kids and new people wanting to love him. Valerie was right back at "home". A little over 2 months later, Michael came home from work and told me he wanted me out...no signs...no disagreements...just pack it up take your kids and go...tonight! Oh and heres 80 dollars.... Then the next day he moved in his crack addict ex-girlfriend back into the house. I was forced to make a decision that night on where I was to go. I have a very close Jr. High friend that lived nearby and called her. She was at work and gave me the keys to her home so I could get the kids to bed. When she came home from work she told me that she didn't want me to live anywhere else until I had my own place to go to. Well her mother moved in also that very night (with 2 of my friends minor sisters). I have met her before. Growing up I hardly ever saw her because she always left her kids alone to go out to the bars and go home with random men. I thought it was very nice of my friend to take all of us in her 2 bedroom house. I got a job that very next day at Loves for 7.00hr. Also paying child support to my 4 year old every paycheck. I went and applied for low income housing and was number 17 on the list. I still needed to come up with 1000 dollars by the time they called me with something available. I worked as much as my job would let me. Days, nights, both at the same time. Whenever someone called out they knew to call me. I was lucky to have my friend and her sisters willing to help me out with the kids while I worked these crazy shifts. My daughter's grandma would pick her up in the morning to take her to school and bring her back after school. My friend's mother was off at bars at nights and doing what she has always been known to do all hours of the night. She didn't even enroller her kids in school for weeks. I was grateful in a way because I sure needed the extra hands. When my friends mother would come home she would be loud and wake up sleeping kids...then she would pass out and I would wake up in the mornings to take care of my kids and my friends 2yr old. Well she wasn't very welcoming at all. She treated us like intruders. She would degrade my daughter and yell at her for simple 6 year old acts and yell at me for not doing what I'm told when I was told the way she told me to do it. She was a moocher with no job living off of my friend and I and complaining about her free ride. I told my friend I couldn't take it anymore and I didn't want to lose our friendship because her mom and I bump heads.
TysonsMom

Austin, TX

#18 Apr 30, 2009
I called my husband and wanted to know if I could come back to TN as a friend in need. He said no (later to find out her had a girl up there 4 months pregnant and didn't want me to know) so I called a coworker in tears not knowing what to do. She opened up her home to my children and me March 14. My mom came by and picked up my babies for spring break that next day to help me figure out what the next step was. I called the low income housing people that following Monday and was number 10 on the list. I continued to work my butt of and stay at my coworker's while I saved. My mom returned my babies the next Sunday, March 22. I was off Monday and Tuesday and was able to get Valerie back into the routine of going to school and spent time with my perfect son Tyson waiting for her to return. I was never aware that a pitt was in the backyard. Till this day I wish I had known. I knew of the other 2 dogs...puppies of gentler breeds. Wednesday I worked a morning shift 7-3. I never did a morning shift. I usually get off at 7am not go to work at 7am. I told my boss that day that this would be the only time because this was my time with Tyson he was taking. I made my hours of availability very clear on my application. He told me to come back at 10:30pm for some tests that had to be done before the big boss came in the next morning. I returned to take the tests after tucking in my babies. I left an hour later and returned "home". My friends and I had something to eat and watched some TV and went to bed. I woke the next morning to get Valerie ready for school. When she left I didn't lock the deadbolt. I don't know why. 2 Of my friendsí usually leave at 7:50am to go to work. Not that day because it started to rain. They did go into Tyson's room for a DVD and he was still sleeping. He always slept in late and he always let me know when he was awake if I wasn't yet. Not that morning. I got up and checked the room. The blanket on the bed was positioned in a way that led me to believe he was still under them sleeping. The front door was locked when I woke up.( I was told later that someone had came by 30mins before and said that the door was wide opened and the person who answered the door went to check on Tyson and he appeared to be in bed still ) When I went and pulled the covers back and found an empty bed I freaked out. I search the whole house and so was everyone at this point. One of my friends came out side with me and they found Tyson and told me to call 911. I didn't know what was wrong. They tried to keep me from seeing my baby. My friend had moved Tyson away from the pitt and covered him with a blanket. I wanted to see my baby!! I ran around the trailer and lifted the blanket and saw my worst nightmare right before my eyes!! I still can't believe it till this day. Why?? Why did this happen to my baby??? He was the happiest little bundle of joy anyone could ever ask for. He didn't suffer. He died by the first bite. But what I saw told me different. He was used as a chew toy. I am so mad at myself, at the dog, at God!!! He will never be replaced!! NEVER!!!! NO child could come close to being the son he was. He was PERFECT in everyway!! I failed him....I wasn't there when he needed me the most and I hate myself for it. I feel sad for all the people who never had a chance to be blessed with his presence. He was a gift from God himself and the devil took him from me!! I am so sorry that everyone has had to hear stories that are false. I hope that Tyson's life touched as many of you as possible. I don't blame any of you for the anger you feel towards me. He was 2 years 4 months and 4 days. What a short life! And people that cause destruction get to continue there live!!! My daughter is with me. We need each other in this time of sorrow. Only through the pain can we find healing...our 3rd musketeer is gone...and so is a very big part of us.
TysonsMom

Austin, TX

#19 Apr 30, 2009
I did have 3 babies by 3 daddiesÖI was abandoned by my daughters dad at age 16 when he knocked me up after the only time we ever had sex. He was 23. His brother and I had a relationship for 2 years when our son was made. He is a good father and loves his kids very much. My 3rd child was Tyson Jr. after my husband Ty Sr. I didnít know that made me a bad person to have children with two men I loved very much and take care of one without the other parent involved by his choice. I didnít abandon my daughter. I was all she had to depend on and still am.And no people...I'm not pregnant. Nor would I give up the baby if I was. I am a deserving mother. Despite what ya'll think. Just ask my daughter.

And MKS is no family of mine. Angrier Mother - TX hasn't even tried to get to know me. Only judge me.

God Bless all of you who have looked to the reality of this horrible tragedy and not just the here say and gossips of it all. Itís kind of a mockery when people take the focus off of what has happened. A baby has lost his life. My son is no longer here to bring joy in peoples lives. Don't take anytime for granted. You never know when or what your last words will be to the ones you love.

Opinions are likeTx-I just want to say thank you for not being like the rest of these people.
TysonsMom

Austin, TX

#20 Apr 30, 2009
We miss you Tyson dearly!! Youíre in our every breath!! "Hugs and Kisses and Angels on your pillow. Mommy loves you."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Luling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Reggie Majors Feb 5 Carol 3
great old house Jan '18 Munchkin 2
cece (Nov '12) Dec '17 Ivan 3
Police All over on 12-01-17 yesterday Dec '17 Falyn4016 1
Accident on I-10 East near Luling, TX 8-15-2010 Nov '17 litman420 1
Lockhart TX 1st Amendment Audit by CITIZEN Oct '17 policestatedotorg 1
Teacher Fowlkes (Mar '17) Sep '17 New in town 4

Luling Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance