Sheriff candidates to face off at forum

Sheriff candidates to face off at forum

There are 46 comments on the The State - South Carolina story from Oct 15, 2006, titled Sheriff candidates to face off at forum. In it, The State - South Carolina reports that:

Kershaw County Sheriff Steve McCaskill, up for re-election next month, is getting good marks from some voters for his handling of the search for a missing Lugoff girl a month ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The State - South Carolina.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Karen Truett

Newberry, SC

#1 Oct 17, 2006
Steve has done an excellent job as sheriff and will get my vote again in November.
Spunky

Camden, SC

#2 Oct 18, 2006
Karen Truett wrote:
Steve has done an excellent job as sheriff and will get my vote again in November.
I don't see how he will get your vote, if you reside outside of Kershaw County, you are unable to vote within the County. This is not a popularity contest, this is a position that should be voted on based on the best person for the job and I feel it is a time for change in Kershaw County. As a parent of Kershaw County children, I want someone who will protect my kids in schools from gang violence and not have to be afraid of every time I drop them off that something could happen to them while they are in the safety of the school. I feel like Sammie Tucker is that person for the job. As for the grant that was received for gang violence that keeps coming up - this was a "freebie" not a grant that had to be applied for. Gang violence in on the rise in Kershaw County, not on the decline. We need someone who is going to come in and proactively take a stand against gangs. It is my understanding that the incumbant has failed in the aspect of having a working relationship with other agencies. It is time for someone who will.
Lucy

Camden, SC

#3 Oct 18, 2006
I believe that the current Administration at the Sheriff's Dept has laid back for 12 years and let crime rise. The gang problem just didn't just start, it has been growing for years, but the sheriff's dept has denied the gangs problems. We should have been battling gangs years ago. He also says he is tough on drugs, making the biggest drug cases ever. Well, tell me if any of those drug busts resulted in convictions. NO. We a new Sheriff, one who is going to protect ALL citizens of Kershaw County. I will be voting for Sammie Tucker!
John

Camden, SC

#4 Oct 20, 2006
Spunky wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see how he will get your vote, if you reside outside of Kershaw County, you are unable to vote within the County. This is not a popularity contest, this is a position that should be voted on based on the best person for the job and I feel it is a time for change in Kershaw County. As a parent of Kershaw County children, I want someone who will protect my kids in schools from gang violence and not have to be afraid of every time I drop them off that something could happen to them while they are in the safety of the school. I feel like Sammie Tucker is that person for the job. As for the grant that was received for gang violence that keeps coming up - this was a "freebie" not a grant that had to be applied for. Gang violence in on the rise in Kershaw County, not on the decline. We need someone who is going to come in and proactively take a stand against gangs. It is my understanding that the incumbant has failed in the aspect of having a working relationship with other agencies. It is time for someone who will.
Sammie Tucker does not have the experience or the education to do a better job than Sheriff McCaskill. Tucker has not worked in law enforcement in over 8 years and then his experience was limited to Highway Patrol. He does not have the experience to run murder or drug investigations. It also a court record that Mr. Tucker has declared bankruptcy in his own business. He does not have the skills to handle a $3 million dollar budget.
John

Camden, SC

#5 Oct 20, 2006
Lucy wrote:
I believe that the current Administration at the Sheriff's Dept has laid back for 12 years and let crime rise. The gang problem just didn't just start, it has been growing for years, but the sheriff's dept has denied the gangs problems. We should have been battling gangs years ago. He also says he is tough on drugs, making the biggest drug cases ever. Well, tell me if any of those drug busts resulted in convictions. NO. We a new Sheriff, one who is going to protect ALL citizens of Kershaw County. I will be voting for Sammie Tucker!
If you compare where the Sheriff's department was 12 years ago and where it is now, you will see a significant change. There are more programs and more trained staff to handle the situations that arise in the county. Steve McCaskill works hard to protect all citizens. GAng prevention is a community matter as well as a lawenforcement issue. You cannot charge someone for being in a gang-they have to committ a crime. Also, it is not the Sheriff responsibility to convict criminals. They arrest them and give the case to the prosecutors. Attorneys handle convictions.
Donna

Columbia, SC

#6 Oct 24, 2006
Karen Truett wrote:
I agree. Sheriff McCaskill has done a wonderful job. He is dedicated to Kershaw county and to the people there. He is a proven leader. He is very intelligent and knows how to run the Sheriff's department. He will be recieving my vote in November also! Sammie Tucker needs to stick to his trucking business that he has seemed to run into the ground.
Donna

Columbia, SC

#7 Oct 24, 2006
Spunky wrote:
<quoted text>
Steve McCaskill is the man for the job. Sammie Tucker is not qualified. Ask him about his Chapter 11!
casey

United States

#8 Oct 24, 2006
Spunky wrote:
<quoted text>
well spunky- gang violence is on the rise across the nation. give me some facts about the freebie. sounds like you have first hand knoledge.
lets talk about the best person for the job.
Tuckers leadeship skills--
state trooper for 5 years, attended USC, what is attended, graduated the criminal justice acdy, class 2 officer only able to enforce traffic, lead a trucking company into chapter 11, as well as personal. his pay check is being garnished for tax liens. I do belive that he has one truck left that the repo man is looking for. this could go on and on and on. I think you ge the point.
Dianne

Ashburn, VA

#9 Oct 25, 2006
Spunky- Just wanted to let you know that after reading your comment about the Freebie I called the Kershaw County Sheriff's Office and spoke to the young lady that wrote the Gang Grant as you put it. It so happens that she would like to give you and open invitation to visit the office where she is willing to present the application that was submitted as proof to you that this grant was applied for and that the county did not have to match the fund. This grant was 100% funded, hope that you did not get your wires crossed, but from here on out I guess you would be better off to check into these matter before you put your foot in your mouth. And by the way this is true, as she urged my to drop by so that I would be speaking factually. Sometimes in this world we are so much better off to think before we speak, and do ill will to others
Donna

Columbia, SC

#10 Oct 27, 2006
Lucy wrote:
Lucy, You are crazy! Why is Sammie Tucker taking campaign contributions from felons? Answer that one for me. That is completely crazy. He is slick and will lie and cheat to get his way. He needs to be kicked off of county council for the things that he has done.
Melissa

United States

#11 Nov 1, 2006
The new paper work that shows who and where the $ for both campaigns is coming form is out. On that public information it shows that Sammie Tucker gave his own campaign $7,000. If this is true why wasn't this money turned over to the State for taxes or used to help pay people he owes or even help out his trucking company ? It is my understanding that Tucker is also telling his supporters he has not Filed Chapter 11, if you are a supporter of his or McCaskill please visit the court house and ask about the lean he has against him for taxes. We pay our taxes - he should too. I feel everyone should be informed on this matter. Also remember - the polls are open !!!
Bill

Lexington, SC

#12 Nov 1, 2006
casey wrote:
<quoted text>
well spunky- gang violence is on the rise across the nation. give me some facts about the freebie. sounds like you have first hand knoledge.
lets talk about the best person for the job.
Tuckers leadeship skills--
state trooper for 5 years, attended USC, what is attended, graduated the criminal justice acdy, class 2 officer only able to enforce traffic, lead a trucking company into chapter 11, as well as personal. his pay check is being garnished for tax liens. I do belive that he has one truck left that the repo man is looking for. this could go on and on and on. I think you ge the point.
well look at Steve McCaskills experience!
Bill

Lexington, SC

#13 Nov 1, 2006
Lucy wrote:
It is the County Prosecuter to convict those drug bust! how can the sheriff have anything to do with that! and Steve McCaskill will have my vote!!! He has done a whole lot more than Samie could ever do!!
James

Hilda, SC

#14 Nov 2, 2006
Lucy wrote:
Get your information accurate. Yes, there have been plenty of convictions. The problem lies at the solicitors office. If they don't bring the case to trial or negotiate a plea the arrest are worthless!
James

Hilda, SC

#15 Nov 2, 2006
I can't believe the new sheriff's office location has not come up. Sammie has made a big deal about it. Who cares where it is? It's not like deputies sit at the office waiting on a call to go to. Most of the time when I go by after hours there are no patrol cars there. Sammie sits on council, he should have opposed it if he didn't like it. He is telling people in Lugoff/Elgin he helped get it there and Camden further north he thinks it is a bad idea. Sounds like Sammie tells people what they want to hear. Want to see what a highway patrol turned sheriff can do for you, look at Lee Co. Thats a MESS!
Donna

Columbia, SC

#16 Nov 2, 2006
James wrote:
I can't believe the new sheriff's office location has not come up. Sammie has made a big deal about it. Who cares where it is? It's not like deputies sit at the office waiting on a call to go to. Most of the time when I go by after hours there are no patrol cars there. Sammie sits on council, he should have opposed it if he didn't like it. He is telling people in Lugoff/Elgin he helped get it there and Camden further north he thinks it is a bad idea. Sounds like Sammie tells people what they want to hear. Want to see what a highway patrol turned sheriff can do for you, look at Lee Co. Thats a MESS!
If Tucker disagrees with where the new Law Enforcement Center will be than why did he vote for the County to buy the land to build the Center there in the first place. He should have voted against it on the County Council. Sammie Tucker is one contradiction after another. I'll be so glad when Sheriff McCaskill is elected for another 4 years. Maybe this moron Tucker will realize that his 50 people that he has supporting him will not get him into office. Money does not win elections votes do!
Donna

Camden, SC

#17 Nov 2, 2006
Everyone needs to flood the state and chronicle with this information. Maybe they will print something about it. It needs to be published for voters to see.
John

Camden, SC

#18 Nov 2, 2006
The other thing that I cannot figure is how he expects to raise money at a golf tournament with the money prizes he is giving away. He had to borrow $7000 to pay for his campaign. What makes him think people want to play golf for that kind of cost. Where is this money coming from?
Charles

Columbia, SC

#19 Nov 3, 2006
When the Lugoff/Elgin Student was missing why wasn't there an Amber Alert? Her parents not wealthy enough? If it was your child wouldn't you want an Amber Alert? Time for change.
Charles

Columbia, SC

#20 Nov 3, 2006
Just wondering, what has McCaskill done for his own depties? Training? Resources? Equipment? Getting up to date technology for his Department? Latest and greatest crime fighting techniques and devices?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lugoff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
holy temple church of the lord jesus christ of ... (Mar '13) Fri Alonzo 536
new to elgin.. Aug 26 fun couple 1
News Resident runs throughout Aiken County for ALS a... Aug 25 Edgardo Dealez 10
News Photo shows black public safety officer helping... Aug 25 Of Course 35
The people are bullshit Aug 25 Effects of Racism 1
Why I Do not support Hillary Clinton Aug 24 Kron Calderon 1
Why I Support Trump Aug 24 The Jinn 34
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lugoff Mortgages