Huntington-My street is so bad......

Posted in the Lufkin Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#1 Jan 16, 2013
Just to add a update on the street situation. And yes, I understand we have had the most continued days of rain we have had in years. That's why it's so important to not make statements you can't back up, people will start doubting what you tell them.
I was over to Dean's, I made the mistake of turning onto Walnut Street, the section by Main that was redone by the zipper. Well let me just say, I don't believe the work will last for the "cold patch" to turn it into that smooth as glass street we are being promised. Looks like Wilson addition was actually saved from having worse streets by not having the reconditioning done. I wonder how First and Abbott are fairing with all the rain? Anyone have a "my street is worse" story?

Huntsville, TX

#2 Jan 17, 2013
I can't think of any Huntington street that is in good condition. It is true, some are 'better' than others, but they are all bad. It's pretty bad when you have to weave all over a road to avoid the worst of the pot holes in them.

Location hidden

#3 Jan 17, 2013
I wonder how much damage citizens are dealing with on their cars by trying to navigate the streets. I know of several whose front ends have been damaged and had to be repaired lately.

Since: May 12

Huntington, TX

#4 Jan 17, 2013
If you go to Dean's from 69 and take a right and go back to main, just that little piece is PATHETIC. A few employees, a few shovels and even just a little asphalt to fill the holes would save alot of vehicle repair. I bet if Bruce and Betsy got them a shovel a piece and got out there they could show the rest of them how its done huh? It's almost embarrassing.
Diddly Squat

Lufkin, TX

#5 Jan 18, 2013
I can remember when Main was dirt.

Location hidden

#6 Jan 18, 2013
I have heard the stories and can imagine how it is better now with half dirt streets. Well I guess it's better for those with the half that's asphalt. Road repair is not a one size fits all kind of job, if you don't patch them correctly, you are wasting your time and our money. It seems the pile of asphalt that's left could be serving a purpose instead of just piled up at the sewer plant waiting on Spring weather to get here. Can anyone tell me why the City Hall is wanting to do the "Home" grant again? That's a matching grant of $80,000 of City funds that could be buying asphalt for the streets. Yes it's nice to be helping those living in substandard housing when you have surplus but to direct city funds towards something besides our City's infrastructure just doesn't make any sense, not at this time. Especially with the legal fees we may have headed our way.

Lufkin, TX

#7 Jan 18, 2013
maybe one needs to look a little deeper at how those "home" grants are done. For instance, WHO actually builds the homes? If the grant is for $80,000 and the city is matching with $80,000 that is $160,000 total (yes I know my math) BUT how much is actually going to be spent on the houses??? And, how do they show this? And how do we know FOR SURE that is the amount being used on the houses and that no one is getting kick-backs?? No, I am not accusing.... I am just saying that this is something that is done everywhere and huntington would not be the first to do it IF they do it. I would like to see what the council says about these possibilities...

Location hidden

#8 Jan 19, 2013
I have been told that the "home" grants are one of the things that's well supervised by the government. The bidding system has strict requirements, etc. Does this reassure me- not in the least since I have not received any information on the 2005 "Home" grant program showing how it was handled. It seems that information has been destroyed or filed away in never never land. I had asked what contractors bid on the projects and who actually received the bid and built the houses. Does anyone know about who was the contractor?

Lufkin, TX

#9 Jan 19, 2013
Of course the paper work is in never never land, you might find something in it that isn't 'quite right' if you were able to see it! Asking about the contractors is an excellent idea... I will have to ask around also.

Location hidden

#10 Jan 19, 2013
Instead of the City supplying the information, I was referred to their grant writers to dig the information up.
The grant writers should not the ones furnishing this information especially when BG just commented she would pull the information if the Council wanted to see what they did in 2005 before they undertake this new "Home" grant proposal. Does that make any sense as to why she's unable to supply me with that same information?

Lufkin, TX

#11 Jan 19, 2013
Sounds to me like she is just trying to keep you from getting the information for as long as possible. Maybe you should make that council meeting and see what is brought up there... could be interesting

Location hidden

#12 Jan 20, 2013
I hope everyone makes the meeting because right now investing any money anywhere else but on the streets or on the sewer plant just doesn't make any sense to me. I want to hear why the "home project" should be considered when there seems to be more pressing problems facing the City.
Diddly Squat

Lufkin, TX

#14 Feb 26, 2013
ratznest wrote:
If you go to Dean's from 69 and take a right and go back to main, just that little piece is PATHETIC. A few employees, a few shovels and even just a little asphalt to fill the holes would save alot of vehicle repair. I bet if Bruce and Betsy got them a shovel a piece and got out there they could show the rest of them how its done huh? It's almost embarrassing.
I drove that route Sunday after getting supper at Sonic and notice the pothole has been filled.

Lufkin, TX

#15 Feb 26, 2013
Diddly Squat wrote:
<quoted text>
I drove that route Sunday after getting supper at Sonic and notice the pothole has been filled.
and that is the whole problem Diddly, they 'fill' the hole, but they don't repair and maintain it correctly. give it a week, and after the rain we had and traffic on it, well, it will be a pothole again soon.

Location hidden

#16 Feb 27, 2013
Maple Street back to 8th, today is your lucky day! The zipper will be in action with a demonstration showing just what great work it is capable of in reconditioning a street. I guess I understand why the salesman wants to do the demonstration rather than show off the results on the streets the City has done. This street work will be done with City supplies and our Zipper, so exactly what about this is "free"? And why are we so happy about this? I guess I missed the "free" part. And I thought it was too wet for road work? I remember now, it's the front end loader that's free........ya for free stuff!
I'm glad to hear Maple Street will reap the benefits.

Location hidden

#17 Apr 27, 2013
Update on street repairs, BM said they should be starting back up soon with Ave F being done first.
WHAT- you say what happened to Arkansas? Well the list was adjusted it seems, now Ave F, then the rest of Wilson Addition, then if anything is left Spruce will be repaired by Little Britches back to Middle School. I am sure Wilson Addition will appreciate these long needed repairs. Hopefully the asphalt will be available for the repairs, we can hope.

Location hidden

#18 May 7, 2013
Taken from The Lufkin daily News Opinions:
Huntington

My name is ****** and I am writing with a request for more to be done on our city road. I live at **** Franklin Street in Huntington. Every day at 3 o’clock the kids get out of school and use our road, the “shortcut road,” as a race track. We have had several animals ran over due to this. Our neighbors have children that cannot even get near the road for fear that they will get smashed when two cars come down the road at the same time, causing one to veer more into the ditch. We have complained with the city with zero help. Our neighbor took it upon himself to build a speed bump but it was removed the next day by the city who said there where complaints. Why yes, there’s going to be complaints when you make it where they can’t speed! They then put speed limit signs up. That was pointless. This morning alone a car flew by at around 50 mph while I was outside with my dog. It is careless of the city to not come out and put a speed bump or two on a very used road. They did it on E. Linn street when they were having the same problem in front of the elementary school, but they won’t now. As a Huntington resident I am appalled by their lack of care. I hope writing this letter will bring attention to the problem and that the city actually does something.

Not the usual complaint about potholes but it appears something needs done. Speed bumps may be annoying but they sure are a cheap way to get people to slow down.
Diddly Squat

Lufkin, TX

#19 May 7, 2013
1. Huntington will never have pothole free streets, and the county won't have either unless it is a state maintained road.
2. There isn't enough money available, even if every cent of tax money was used.
3. Any candidate that promises pothole free streets and roads will be lying.
I remember when Huntington Main street was mud in bad weather AND in the county roads were so bad that sometime cars and school buses could not get thru.

4. Children and pets shouldn't be in the street.

5. Speed bumps have been known to CAUSE wrecks.

6. Some of the modern cars will drag on speed bumps and could be damaged even when crossing slow.

7. In the city, when there are complaints such as above, police should establish a strong radar presence. Worse case, set up an unmarked vehicle with radar and a marked car down the road to stop and write tickets.

Location hidden

#20 May 7, 2013
7. In the city, when there are complaints such as above, police should establish a strong radar presence. Worse case, set up an unmarked vehicle with radar and a marked car down the road to stop and write tickets.

It seems my husband agrees with you about the speed bumps and the need for some police intervention taking place. It does seem to if a few tickets are written, things would change.
Bump

Lufkin, TX

#21 Jul 12, 2013
A suggestion to Marley:

http://gma.yahoo.com/pothole-robinhood-steals...

A man dubbed the "pothole Robin Hood" has been taking asphalt from the city of Jackson, Miss., and filling in potholes on city streets.

Ron Chane admits that he takes the asphalt and repairs potholes, and then signs the filled-in holes with the message "citizen fixed," he told ABC News.

"It's sort of like Robin Hood. Once we saw that people were appreciating what we did, we went out again and made a goal of fixing 100 potholes. We've actually filled 101 potholes, so our mission has been completed," Chane said.

Just think, if only 4 of you mal-contents would band together with each doing 25 holes a day, just think how great of benefit would come from a better use of that hot air.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lufkin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dead beat dad of a lifetime (Apr '09) 14 hr moonpie 42
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 20 hr Fart Grad 898
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Mon Any farts 738
Dental hyhienists Jun 27 John 2
Sheila Ann Morton missing (Aug '14) Jun 20 Jill 7
There is NO LAW in east Texas. (Jul '11) Jun 14 bystander 4
Review: Renfro Smoked Sausage May '15 cherylflan56 2
More from around the web

Lufkin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Lufkin Mortgages