Huntington Economic Development Corporation

Posted in the Lufkin Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#1 Nov 12, 2012
The EDC was established in 1998, what you say? Never heard about it or noticed any Board operating in Huntington encouraging new businesses or improving job opportunities in the area. I guess you would be right. Sales tax refunds started in 1998 but for some reason the operating board wasn't started till 2007. Maybe you should see just where that money went. Here's a website to follow the money. Notice the money is gone but there are no projects noted most years.
This note from State Comptroller:
Huntington EDC files their annual reports with us and you can find information from these report here:
https://ourcpa.cpa.state.tx.us/edcr/EdcrSearc...

Our records indicate that the Huntington Type B Corporation has existed continuously since Oct. 1998.

I hope everyone takes notice on who takes credit for spending that money.
Madea

Joshua, TX

#2 Nov 12, 2012
Keen observation inacar. Guess the admin needs more of our money than we thought.

“Doing what's right....”

Since: Aug 12

Huntington, Texas

#3 Nov 12, 2012
inacar wrote:
The EDC was established in 1998, what you say? Never heard about it or noticed any Board operating in Huntington encouraging new businesses or improving job opportunities in the area. I guess you would be right. Sales tax refunds started in 1998 but for some reason the operating board wasn't started till 2007. Maybe you should see just where that money went. Here's a website to follow the money. Notice the money is gone but there are no projects noted most years.
This note from State Comptroller:
Huntington EDC files their annual reports with us and you can find information from these report here:
https://ourcpa.cpa.state.tx.us/edcr/EdcrSearc...
Our records indicate that the Huntington Type B Corporation has existed continuously since Oct. 1998.
I hope everyone takes notice on who takes credit for spending that money.
What projects are you looking for? None of the reports list actual 'projects'. It shows the total expenditures to show major categories. Your projects would be listed under one of those categeories. You seem to be trying to cause doubt with everything- and this website is not the best place to try that. Anyone can see that it is a basic reporting site- there aren't any 'projects' listed at all. Go look at the other cities that have reports online- use this same website you found. They all look relatively the same. Maybe we should go ask for mass quantaties of reports for all those cities? When looking over the city of McKinney's 2008 reports, there are some huge numbers going out for Direct Business Incentives. That sounds corrupt to me, maybe we should investigate? Or possibly that is something legit, and since we aren't familiar with these reports- we should get the financials to compare them?

Here is what the site shows that the primary objective is (of Huntington's EDB):
Tourism
Job Creation/Job Retention
Infrastructure Projects
Sports Facilities/Recreation

Go find out what projects have been completed or being worked on (and funded) by the EDB. They fall under those categories. This is information found in public record I'm sure, in the Huntington Herald, in the EDB minutes- or just ask a member to tell you what projects they know of.

Location hidden

#4 Nov 12, 2012
Madea wrote:
Keen observation inacar. Guess the admin needs more of our money than we thought.
I feel sure the City Council had no clue this much money had been running through the EDB and they have been signing off on it since 1998. They really need to pay attention to what they are responsible for at the City.

Location hidden

#5 Nov 13, 2012
inacar wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel sure the City Council had no clue this much money had been running through the EDB and they have been signing off on it since 1998. They really need to pay attention to what they are responsible for at the City.
So you know the answer to where the money went? So please fill me in on all the businesses that have been brought in to Huntington due to the efforts of the EDB since 1998. I know they take credit for the Nursing home and the dentist and we sure can't forget those bathrooms at the Park. Now what else have I missed?
And you are very right, I don't even try to figure out the accounting method used on those financial reports, the sales tax refund is x amount of dollars and x amount of dollars should be spent to encourage new businesses and increase job opportunities. It really isn't that difficult to figure out. And yes, I did review other towns about our same size and yes, there were questionable entries on many of them. Are you trying to say just because others make poor decisions, it's all right for you to do the same? I really don't follow that train of thought. And I think this site works very well for all these discussions. Of course if the City maintained their website, most of the questions would already be answered.

Lufkin, TX

#6 Nov 14, 2012
ActuallyInHuntington wrote:
<quoted text>
What projects are you looking for? None of the reports list actual 'projects'. It shows the total expenditures to show major categories. Your projects would be listed under one of those categeories. You seem to be trying to cause doubt with everything- and this website is not the best place to try that. Anyone can see that it is a basic reporting site- there aren't any 'projects' listed at all. Go look at the other cities that have reports online- use this same website you found. They all look relatively the same. Maybe we should go ask for mass quantaties of reports for all those cities? When looking over the city of McKinney's 2008 reports, there are some huge numbers going out for Direct Business Incentives. That sounds corrupt to me, maybe we should investigate? Or possibly that is something legit, and since we aren't familiar with these reports- we should get the financials to compare them?
Here is what the site shows that the primary objective is (of Huntington's EDB):
Tourism
Job Creation/Job Retention
Infrastructure Projects
Sports Facilities/Recreation
Go find out what projects have been completed or being worked on (and funded) by the EDB. They fall under those categories. This is information found in public record I'm sure, in the Huntington Herald, in the EDB minutes- or just ask a member to tell you what projects they know of.
Hey ActuallyinHuntington, you seeme to have considerable knowledge of the EDC and how it works. We appreciate your insight. Would you please tell us how the EDC has benefited Huntington? Please be specific. Tell us what projects have been completed and how the money has been spent. Thanks in advance.

I think INACAR and other here likes to question government and gov spending. They do spread doubt as you say. I think that is right thing to do .... Spread doubt, question judgement, ask questions, publicly challenge gov spending policies, ect. Please understand, it is the citiezn job to do what INACAR and others are doing. if you have information that will reduce doubt and "clear the air" please share it with us.

Location hidden

#7 Nov 14, 2012
Up Up and Away wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey ActuallyinHuntington, you seeme to have considerable knowledge of the EDC and how it works. We appreciate your insight. Would you please tell us how the EDC has benefited Huntington? Please be specific. Tell us what projects have been completed and how the money has been spent. Thanks in advance.
I think INACAR and other here likes to question government and gov spending. They do spread doubt as you say. I think that is right thing to do .... Spread doubt, question judgement, ask questions, publicly challenge gov spending policies, ect. Please understand, it is the citiezn job to do what INACAR and others are doing. if you have information that will reduce doubt and "clear the air" please share it with us.
Amazingly we can't get any information from "actually", she just doesn't have anything to say except we are wrong to question the decisions made. How childlike to never ask questions, just do what you are told. Those were the days when you could expect the best from those in city government. Sadly those days have long been gone. NOTHING is wrong with asking questions, what's wrong is the attitude of those NOT giving the answers. You can get their answers all you want but if those answers doesn't match the paperwork, why waste my time. Show me the proof, show me where the money was spent for new businesses and job creation. Show me the businesses!
Remember the EDB meeting today at 12:30 with a "Presentation" on the results from the City assessment. Every business owner, citizen, should make plans to be there and see how the City looks to others. City Council, and Mayor, you should be there.

Lufkin, TX

#8 Nov 14, 2012
inacar wrote:
<quoted text>
Amazingly we can't get any information from "actually", she just doesn't have anything to say except we are wrong to question the decisions made. How childlike to never ask questions, just do what you are told. Those were the days when you could expect the best from those in city government. Sadly those days have long been gone. NOTHING is wrong with asking questions, what's wrong is the attitude of those NOT giving the answers. You can get their answers all you want but if those answers doesn't match the paperwork, why waste my time. Show me the proof, show me where the money was spent for new businesses and job creation. Show me the businesses!
Remember the EDB meeting today at 12:30 with a "Presentation" on the results from the City assessment. Every business owner, citizen, should make plans to be there and see how the City looks to others. City Council, and Mayor, you should be there.
I think "Actually" is a board member of the EDC or works at City Hall. The postings shows he/she knows alot about the reports on the website about the EDC.

"Actually" are you a member of the EDC or a city employee?

Do you think my suspicions are true Inacar?

Location hidden

#9 Nov 14, 2012
Up Up and Away wrote:
<quoted text>
I think "Actually" is a board member of the EDC or works at City Hall. The postings shows he/she knows alot about the reports on the website about the EDC.
Yes, she is on the Economic Development Board.

Location hidden

#10 Nov 14, 2012
Great presentation today at the Economic Development meeting! Everyone should have been there. We had a mix up on meeting time but it all managed to work out great. Most of the presentation showed and reminded us of the work our Community needs to do.
I was pleased to see the Mayor and one of our Council Members present. The good news is that for those that missed the presentation, there will be a summary given at the Council meeting on November 27th @ 5PM. Also the complete work up and map is available at City Hall for anyone needing information on infrastructure within the City.

Lufkin, TX

#11 Nov 14, 2012
Did they reveal what they have done with all the money they have taken in so far?

Location hidden

#12 Nov 15, 2012
Up Up and Away wrote:
Did they reveal what they have done with all the money they have taken in so far?
No because Betsy was absent from the meeting.

Lufkin, TX

#13 Nov 15, 2012
inacar wrote:
<quoted text>No because Betsy was absent from the meeting.
I was hoping it could be explain where are the money was spent since the of the EDC in 1998

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#14 Nov 15, 2012
inacar wrote:
Great presentation today at the Economic Development meeting! Everyone should have been there. We had a mix up on meeting time but it all managed to work out great. Most of the presentation showed and reminded us of the work our Community needs to do.
I was pleased to see the Mayor and one of our Council Members present. The good news is that for those that missed the presentation, there will be a summary given at the Council meeting on November 27th @ 5PM. Also the complete work up and map is available at City Hall for anyone needing information on infrastructure within the City.
Manuela wrote:
Somehow, I think they feel that the attorney - that the citizens are paying for - must review almost all records requests. It seems we are paying the city attorney to call the attorney general's office in regards to most open records requests. Seems that the records manager at the city of huntington should be able to make those phone calls herself, thus avoiding high legal fees with the city attorney (who by the way is actually also working for the citizens of huntington).
Up Up and Away wrote:
<quoted text>
I know it can be a hassel for a city to have to respond to open records requests. However, when they start getting angry about getting records requests, there is something wrong. I sthere something a city wished to hide? Does the city not agree that it's decisions, money spending, etc should be scrutinized?

There is nothing for the city to hide. It is yours, incar and manuela's big lie to the public to get them to to believe something is going on. What the city should do is arrest all three of you for harassing them or suggesting others to harass be requesting records. It can go to trial so we can here the real evidence about what you three are doing. The evidince will prove Betsy and Bruce are not doing anything wrong but you three are. therefore, you will be sentenced to jail, the best place for you.

Paying for a city attorney is a necessity to respond to the open records requests. You three are trying to catch them in some violation of the public information. It is obvious you study the law so you can put them in jail.

Bruce and Betsy are a great team that has performed well for the City. Betsy is especially talented, god fearing, lady and you need to leave her alone.

It look like you , inaccar did the right thing. You went for a meeting instead of requesting records. You can ask Bruce or Betsy about anything and they will tell the truth. Now Bruce is a little high tempered, but he is the best city manager we can have.

Location hidden

#15 Nov 15, 2012
"Bruce and Betsy are a great team that has performed well for the City. Betsy is especially talented, god fearing, lady and you need to leave her alone.

It look like you , inaccar did the right thing. You went for a meeting instead of requesting records. You can ask Bruce or Betsy about anything and they will tell the truth. Now Bruce is a little high tempered, but he is the best city manager we can have. per Huntington Dog."

Thank you for this great insight especially the little g on God, that just about explains everything to me. And because I have been going to the meetings and listened to the different stories is why I have requested records. I think when I go to one meeting and then I go to another meeting I should be hearing the same information given in the reports. I have heard different versions, and so I need to see the written version also. And somewhere in the middle is the answer. The finances and expenditures shouldn't be this complicated. Even the Council and Citizens should be able to follow the money. And when it becomes complicated, you should ask yourself why?

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#16 Nov 18, 2012
Up Up and Away wrote:
Like Diddly Squat said, this is none of your business cause you don't live here. Whether they explained what they did with the money or not is not your business.

“Doing what's right....”

Since: Aug 12

Huntington, Texas

#17 Nov 18, 2012
Up Up and Away wrote:
<quoted text>
Why so much interest in who people are? I saw posts where you all were complaining about another poster asking you the name of a council member who was at a community event. You said them asking for the name was 'obsessive'? He was just trying to give credit to someone who did something good. Why don't you stick to facts instear of concerning youself with who is posting here? If the poster lives here, has an interest in the city, etc- then it doesn't really matter. It's someone's opinion & that's all. I personally don't have an issue with being involved in your community, keeping up with your tax dollars in your city, staying informed, exercising your rights, or whatever you justify this as. I disagree with the way it's been handled though. Mostly everything you post is negative, corrupt, conspiracy theories it seems. Even the times I see posts trying to say something nice about the city or events here, the thread becomes about how corrupt everyone is. The sarcastic undertone is in everything, which really doesn't help get anything done. It amazes me to read most of these posts. Where are the posts about the Geneological Society's newest project? Or how the Hisd Green Team replanted the entire flower bed at Centennial Park yesterday? I know there are a few topics on positive notes with under 20 comments, but very few. Try extending your commenting to the positive side of your town more often.

Lufkin, TX

#18 Nov 18, 2012
ActuallyInHuntington wrote:
<quoted text>
Why so much interest in who people are? I saw posts where you all were complaining about another poster asking you the name of a council member who was at a community event. You said them asking for the name was 'obsessive'? He was just trying to give credit to someone who did something good. Why don't you stick to facts instear of concerning youself with who is posting here? If the poster lives here, has an interest in the city, etc- then it doesn't really matter. It's someone's opinion & that's all. I personally don't have an issue with being involved in your community, keeping up with your tax dollars in your city, staying informed, exercising your rights, or whatever you justify this as. I disagree with the way it's been handled though. Mostly everything you post is negative, corrupt, conspiracy theories it seems. Even the times I see posts trying to say something nice about the city or events here, the thread becomes about how corrupt everyone is. The sarcastic undertone is in everything, which really doesn't help get anything done. It amazes me to read most of these posts. Where are the posts about the Geneological Society's newest project? Or how the Hisd Green Team replanted the entire flower bed at Centennial Park yesterday? I know there are a few topics on positive notes with under 20 comments, but very few. Try extending your commenting to the positive side of your town more often.
It is not so important who you are as a poster on this forum. You have every right to post here and I respect that. I have not spoken so much about corruption as I have supported those who have concerns about it. What I do support is using the law to make the city administrators act right. I want them to follow the law. I believe they don't sometimes out of pure ignorance of the law.

If you believe positive speech is needed here, they you be the positive speech person. I am not trying to be rude, but I think I am saying what I should be saying. I hope I have not offended you. It is not my intention.
Diddly squat

Lufkin, TX

#19 Nov 19, 2012
In his Thurs Nov 15 LDN article, the Mayor stated:
In 2007, the city of Huntington Citizens Advisory Board became the City of Huntington Economic Development Corporation.

Lufkin, TX

#20 Nov 19, 2012
Diddly squat wrote:
In his Thurs Nov 15 LDN article, the Mayor stated:
In 2007, the city of Huntington Citizens Advisory Board became the City of Huntington Economic Development Corporation.
Sir, are you aware an advisory board has no authority? They cannot authorize the expenditure of funds. But it appears the no board existed while only an advisory board existed for the Huntington EDC. If this is true, was there any money spent, any actions took, etc.?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lufkin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is their a motocross track close to nack. 1 hr Txstrocker 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 4 hr Freddy Flatus 742
ZAVALLA Mayor DAVIS RESIGNS **** What Now??? ... Nov 21 Diddly Squat 5
does any one know james michael gardiner Nov 17 concerned 1
what happened to Blank & CO. (Mar '09) Nov 13 Richard 4
Restaurant Report - Lufkin - 10/10/13 (Oct '13) Nov 12 cherylflan56 12
Jim LoStracco, Nac family law slime ball, will ... (Jun '11) Nov 9 NacMom 16
Lufkin Dating
Find my Match

Lufkin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lufkin News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lufkin

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:46 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:46PM
Arian Foster Injury Update and Fantasy Football Impact
Bleacher Report 3:48 PM
Dallas Cowboys vs. New York Giants: Live Score, Highlights and Analysis
Bleacher Report 3:53 PM
'Good Andy' Beats Texans, Don't Count on Playoff Run
Bleacher Report 4:00 PM
Dallas Cowboys vs. New York Giants: Live New York Score and Analysis
Bleacher Report 4:36 PM
When Will Jadeveon Clowney Break Out of His Rookie Slump?