Kopperl, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2012

Judged:

I really think the City should have ORA VFD sent back to their our territory. They have a station on 2109, that is their community to serve so why does the City of Huntington allow them to stay in our town and make it look trashy at the red light, fire trucks should be kept in a station. The people of the ORA community should have their department out there with them, if not that community should raise some cane and demand them to return to their community or shut them down and start over. I have many friends that live in the ORA community that stopped helping support that fire department when the people out their felt abandoned by them. You can go anywhere in the county and this is the only place another department invades on! They use our red light and confuse the community. We should NOT have to read the name on the truck to know who they are, we should be able to know our town our department. Yes ORA does come and help in Huntington, but they also help other areas like Zavalla. Take your trucks back where it belongs. You make our town look bad when people pass through on HWY 69.
Back when "Old Man Harper" didn't get the Mayor position is when they slowly invaded us. ORA is the community they choose and it's the name they carry so go stay in your own area and put then trucks in the station where they belong, not in your yard and in the weather. If you want in Huntington, join our fire department, you already live in our town.
Enough is enough, you have out welcomed yourselves!
Wondering

Kopperl, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2012

Judged:

It does look really odd to drive by and see a fire station and the very next block see fire trucks sitting outside in a yard. Wonder what people think about it when they pass threw our town?

Good point to bring up Logic.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2012

Judged:

Wonder what people think when they see the medical unit come to their house or one of their family or friends house? I bet they don't care what name is on the truck as long as someone is there to take care of them. It's a shame that all you have to be concerned about is trucks sitting on someone's personal property but not care about the service they are providing not only to the Ora Community but Huntington and Zavalla. Bet there are alot of people would disagree with you.
Wondering

Kopperl, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2012

Judged:

Mickey Deez wrote:
Wonder what people think when they see the medical unit come to their house or one of their family or friends house? I bet they don't care what name is on the truck as long as someone is there to take care of them. It's a shame that all you have to be concerned about is trucks sitting on someone's personal property but not care about the service they are providing not only to the Ora Community but Huntington and Zavalla. Bet there are alot of people would disagree with you.
Well the great thing about all of this is yes it is just my opinion, BUT I do believe Huntington has their own fire department and First responders. So ORA should come when Huntington Fire or First Responders need extra help. Just like Ora does for any other departmental territory. The ORA community needs them out there.

Think about this, because Ora's fire station is unused, insurance for the community is higher for the community, makes it harder for the community to pay such high amounts for home insurance. There are a lot of retired people in that area they cover so is it really fair for them, the Ora community, to have their fire department out there with them not here in the city limits.
Did you know if you live more than 5 miles from a fire station your insurance is higher, check the ISO rating.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2012

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Well the great thing about all of this is yes it is just my opinion, BUT I do believe Huntington has their own fire department and First responders. So ORA should come when Huntington Fire or First Responders need extra help. Just like Ora does for any other departmental territory. The ORA community needs them out there.
Think about this, because Ora's fire station is unused, insurance for the community is higher for the community, makes it harder for the community to pay such high amounts for home insurance. There are a lot of retired people in that area they cover so is it really fair for them, the Ora community, to have their fire department out there with them not here in the city limits.
Did you know if you live more than 5 miles from a fire station your insurance is higher, check the ISO rating.
It does cloud the picture and does appear inappropriate for Ora to "hang out" in Huntington like it does. It would appear the Ora volunteers who respond do live in Huntington and prefer using the fire trucks sitting right outside their door instead of driving to the Ora Fire Station and getting the trucks. One one hand they use the VFD's gas and not their own, saving them money but I guess this would be a subject that needs investigated by the Community it serves. I can't believe this arrangement is the best use of the VFD's money. Maybe that is why the Ora VFD is always asking for money? Who is over the decision for where the trucks are parked?
Wondering

Kopperl, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

inacar wrote:
<quoted text>
It does cloud the picture and does appear inappropriate for Ora to "hang out" in Huntington like it does. It would appear the Ora volunteers who respond do live in Huntington and prefer using the fire trucks sitting right outside their door instead of driving to the Ora Fire Station and getting the trucks. One one hand they use the VFD's gas and not their own, saving them money but I guess this would be a subject that needs investigated by the Community it serves. I can't believe this arrangement is the best use of the VFD's money. Maybe that is why the Ora VFD is always asking for money? Who is over the decision for where the trucks are parked?
I would guess the house where the trucks sit would be who is over where they the trucks sit. I agree it is wrong to use VFD money for fuel to get to the territory that is yours. If you VOLUNTEER with any department you should have to pay your own fuel to get to your fire station to get a truck. or maybe I could understand if member live in the territory and park 1 at the house but not out of their territory, that's just senseless.

If we are going to clean up our town we should address everything that bothers us for other to be able to address that as well.
Logic

Kopperl, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Judged:

Wondering and Inacar, your points make perfect sense to me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Logic wrote:
Wondering and Inacar, your points make perfect sense to me.
I guess we have plenty of things that have been allowed to get lax around here. Ordinances seem drummed up out of the air when someone rubs City Hall the wrong way and then that ordinance disappears just as quickly. Why are some properties cited and others left alone? Why isn't a system being used instead of just the hit and miss method of asking for compliance? And the biggest question, why doesn't the City comply with their own rules? Why are right of ways and sidewalks not maintained at the same level their ordinances require for homeowners? Why aren't local businesses asked to keep their properties maintained. There are several that went thru the whole summer and never mowed. Why is this ignored? I bet some of you know that answer don't you.
Logic

Huntington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Judged:

Mickey Deez wrote:
That's all you got out of what I wrote... This is our town we should depend on our Fire Department, our City Hall, our Police Department. We are a town/city, not just a community. The ORA community needs them out there, we have our own here. Just like the police department, if our police officers need help they call for back up, why should our fire department be any different. I did not say no one if glad they show up or what they do but we have our own, we shoud rely on Huntington, we live in the City and City Hall is supossed to supply fire coverage, we have the Huntington VFD, make them work for us, we should depend on them more. Ora should depend on Ora VFD. I would think that since them trucks carry water it makes them drive slower around all them curves on 2109, a regular vehicle can go faster to get to the ones in need. So drive the cars to the actual station and then get a truck. Just makes more sense. Do you think Huntington VFD would get away with sitting up in Lufkin... I think NOT, so why should we the citizans of Huntington allow it.

OK answer this IF you lived in the ORA community would you want them in the City limits of Huntington or Out at the station closer to you home? Put them shoes on and see how it would make you feel. I have family and some friends that live out their so yes it is a concern for the area as well as the way it looks for them to be in our town.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Logic, some on here just pick and pull pieces of what we say out and run with it, don't let them bother you. I think most of followed what you said.
The appearance of town reflects on us, and having fire vehicles setting around looks questionable by anyone driving through. It has the appearance of neglect.
Just Sayin

Lufkin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

I suspect a few lives have been saved and many injuries were less or healed quicker due to "First Responder" actions by the Ora VFD.

You know Bonnie has virtually no life of her own as she makes almost every page 24 hours a day.

Sadly, Huntington VFD first responders answer far fewer calls than they once did.
Huntington VFD still has good fire response though.

And I notice that Fuller Springs was once a real "Go Getter" sometimes have no or late response to pages. Likewise Moffitt.
Logic

Huntington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Just Sayin wrote:
I suspect a few lives have been saved and many injuries were less or healed quicker due to "First Responder" actions by the Ora VFD.
You know Bonnie has virtually no life of her own as she makes almost every page 24 hours a day.
Sadly, Huntington VFD first responders answer far fewer calls than they once did.
Huntington VFD still has good fire response though.
And I notice that Fuller Springs was once a real "Go Getter" sometimes have no or late response to pages. Likewise Moffitt.
I do believe I read in one of the other threads that Huntington VFD basicly has only 1 first responder right now able to run the calls, and she is a mother of young school age children and a wife. Bonnie does not have all that responsibility. If you listen to the scanner, Bonnie does not answer all the calls she gets specially if it is in the ORA area, I still think they "ORA" or maybe I should say "The Harper's" are trying to take over the Huntington area. I have heard Bonnie talk on the scanner and no one be called out yet so how does she know there is a call somewhere? I think she does it just to make Huntington look bad cause they are not going first. I think I have heard the phrase "call jumping". I have also heard Bonnie has a pet in the Huntington department that is her little snitch so she can get a jump on everything Huntington VFD tries. Oh and that makes me remember I went to the Dollar General and saw the box for toys and some jars on the counter for money for Huntington VFD to adopt families then I was in there yesterday and the box to turn in toys now has ORA VFD name on it... what happened there?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Logic wrote:
<quoted text>
I do believe I read in one of the other threads that Huntington VFD basicly has only 1 first responder right now able to run the calls, and she is a mother of young school age children and a wife. Bonnie does not have all that responsibility. If you listen to the scanner, Bonnie does not answer all the calls she gets specially if it is in the ORA area, I still think they "ORA" or maybe I should say "The Harper's" are trying to take over the Huntington area. I have heard Bonnie talk on the scanner and no one be called out yet so how does she know there is a call somewhere? I think she does it just to make Huntington look bad cause they are not going first. I think I have heard the phrase "call jumping". I have also heard Bonnie has a pet in the Huntington department that is her little snitch so she can get a jump on everything Huntington VFD tries. Oh and that makes me remember I went to the Dollar General and saw the box for toys and some jars on the counter for money for Huntington VFD to adopt families then I was in there yesterday and the box to turn in toys now has ORA VFD name on it... what happened there?
It would appear that there are lots of kids getting toys this year. I understand the Huntington VFD is collecting toys, Second Blessings is collecting toys, and I take from your information, Ora VFD is also doing Christmas toys for kids. I wonder if there are certain families applying for this help or is this open to one and all? It would seem there is no excuse not to donate this year. Just pick one and give.
MrClean

Huntington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

I agree with inacar children will be helped this christmas but if Huntington had their stuff up at the store first then ORA should not have went and taken it over. From the way I understand all different organizations that adopt children get different families so, Huntington has their own and ORA has their own; so that tells me that ORA just took away from the families that Huntington has. Sounds kinda sad for the families that just got cheated!
PISSED OFF

Granbury, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

ora needs to get the hell out of huntington

Lufkin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Maybe we need to stop and consider that ORA is the one with an ambulance. Don't you think it would be nice to have an ambulance in the city for emergencies instead of someone having to run out to ORA to get the ambulance and then get to your residence... Just asking. I don't know how these entities are funded, but I know it sure is nice to have them available when they are needed!!!
Diddly Squat

Lufkin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Didn't the Huntington VFD have one also until a member wrecked it shortly after it was obtained.
I can't remember who was driving.
MrClean

Huntington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

@Manuela first of all that ambulance says first responder on it that means they can not take someone in need to the hospital just to clear that up. Also maybe that first responder vehicle might maybe be ok to stay in the city limits since the only person you ever see drive it is Bonnie. But from what all I have gather from several opinions on here is really the fire trucks.
@Diddly I do not remember ever hearing of that with Huntington but does that matter, anyone can have a wreck even ORA and Lufkin both has wrecked some fire trucks. Anyone can have a wreck no one is exempt from them.
I really think by your response to most of the post about ORA that it is a very sore subject if talked badly about. I am beginning to think you are not the mayor but you are the head of Ora as in Mr Harper... Please correct me if I am wrong

Lufkin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Mr. Clean, you have a valid point with the first responder issue, however, when minutes can save lives wouldn't you want that first responder taking care of your loved one until transport can arrive? As far as the fire departments and their 'territory' why can't everyone just get along like adults? I don't know who or what started this 'feud' between these fire departments, but it is certainly not helping to have people bashing one or the other. Personally it would not matter to me who could come out to put out a fire, I would just want it out. I'm just glad that we have fire departments in our rural areas for that very reason.
MrClean

Huntington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Manuela wrote:
Mr. Clean, you have a valid point with the first responder issue, however, when minutes can save lives wouldn't you want that first responder taking care of your loved one until transport can arrive? As far as the fire departments and their 'territory' why can't everyone just get along like adults? I don't know who or what started this 'feud' between these fire departments, but it is certainly not helping to have people bashing one or the other. Personally it would not matter to me who could come out to put out a fire, I would just want it out. I'm just glad that we have fire departments in our rural areas for that very reason.
Ok so I think you know something that I do not know. What feud between the departments are you talking about? I figured that Huntington VFD was ok with them being here, if you ever see them all together on a scene you could not tell that there is a problem between them and listening to the scanner they sometimes thank the other department for helping, I have heard both department do this. So why don't you fill us in

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Lufkin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lufkin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••