Looking to move to Nacogdoches
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
angel

Maple Grove, MN

#107 Apr 3, 2013
I see there are some drama queens..lol NAC is not a bad place to live I lived there my whole life and as far as jobs if u get off your lazy ass then u more then likely will fiNd a job.
Nac not so nice

Houston, TX

#108 Jul 9, 2013
Nacogdoches is okay to live but really I would not move here again if I had the choice. The wages are low, there is no growth here due to the towns government keeping property taxes high. Businesses go to Lufkin instead. I read above that the Nacogdoches schools principals spank children. I haven't heard that but could be true. There are tons of gang members in schools here. Lots of people on welfare and Medicaid. Doctors do not get reimbursed anything here because it is considered a rural no pay area, so doctors are careful of who they see. The North end of town is good with good schools, but you can rarely find homes in that area. Most people transfer their children into those schools if they can afford to do so, but there is a long waiting list. No one wants to send their children to Nacogdoches ISD. There really is nothing to do here at all. A few lakes, but that's about it. For shopping you have to go to Lufkin or 1 hour to Tyler or even further away. I've been here 5 years and it seems it is not improving at all, in fact more businesses are closing. The mall has 4 stores and a yoga place. The gyms are not clean because lets face it, they don't have to be. They get business because that is all that is available. There are a few good churches. Some people are friendly, but even at churches you have to make a LOT of effort to get people to speak to you. Most people here are involved in their own little clique and do not reach out to newcomers. SFA is a nice college, but most students are locals. It is a "white collar" town, but there just isn't enough to keep a family here. If you are looking for small towns, I would look somewhere else where there is more to offer.
Nac newbie

Nacogdoches, TX

#109 Aug 24, 2013
I'm new to Nacogdoches and really like it. Much better than where I came from (so far anyway).
outsider

Bellingham, WA

#110 Aug 25, 2013
"I read above that the Nacogdoches schools principals spank children. I haven't heard that but could be true" Children are not "spanked" by elementary school principals. FACT: While I was living in Nacogdoches, an public elementary school student was beaten with a cricket type paddle by the principal. This bat was decorated with lights that the principal kept plugged in hanging on the wall and labeled "the enforcer". The intention was to intimidate and manipulate the elementary school children to behave in a particular way. The principal struck the seven year old boy with this weapon multiple times. The child was so severely injured he required emergency medical treatment at the hospital, later that evening when, his mother, who was not told of the beating, discovered his injuries while bathing him that night. The seven year olds crime? He had in his possession an electronic device that apparently belonged to another school. Even an adult alleged thief is not "beaten" when caught, but given due process under the law. The principal is a large, tall and overweight adult male. Supposed to set an example for the teachers and students he oversees. Tragic really. This same adult male and his wife later adopted vulnerable 3 year old twin girls who were victims of the Haitian earthquake, instant siblings for their single digit biological son and daughter. Apparently school administrators in Texas public schools have the authority to use corporal punishment. This same "authority" is not granted to Texas parents who could be prosecuted for alleged child abuse if they hit their own child in the same way as the principal. Perhaps in time Texas will reconsider its current position. Sick enough that they tried to rewrite the school textbooks, redacting any facts that disagree with the current religious/political spin. It takes all kinds and if you are likeminded, you'll love Nacogdoches
arrona

Houston, TX

#111 Feb 15, 2016
Nacogdoches is a great quiet safe place to live... and it's so pretty with all the pine trees.
jennifer

United States

#112 Apr 1, 2016
So I see many people like Nac and many people hate Nac. I also see some of the post over 6 years old; is there any new information on Nac? I currently live in Dallas and I really want to move back to the country. I know a few people stated the crime rate is high. That's every area now. I just moved to another apartment within the same complex and with the first 72 hours cars were stolen, downstairs neighbors apartment was broken into (during the day) 2 people killed, and many wild animals running around. Seems like a bad area??? Well, I live in the better neighborhood, North Dallas, and this is a daily thing. Just society now day :( kind of sad considering I was once a country girl who moved to a large city at 14. Now that I am in my 30's and have 2 small children of my own, I would love to find a small city we all can call home. Would this town be a fit for us?
Live_between_luf kin-Nac

Lufkin, TX

#113 May 1, 2016
jennifer wrote:
So I see many people like Nac and many people hate Nac. I also see some of the post over 6 years old; is there any new information on Nac? I currently live in Dallas and I really want to move back to the country. I know a few people stated the crime rate is high. That's every area now. I just moved to another apartment within the same complex and with the first 72 hours cars were stolen, downstairs neighbors apartment was broken into (during the day) 2 people killed, and many wild animals running around. Seems like a bad area??? Well, I live in the better neighborhood, North Dallas, and this is a daily thing. Just society now day :( kind of sad considering I was once a country girl who moved to a large city at 14. Now that I am in my 30's and have 2 small children of my own, I would love to find a small city we all can call home. Would this town be a fit for us?
It's changed tremendously since this post started, Nac isn't bad if you want a college town, Lufkins great if you want to raise school age children with an emphasis on academics, but proudly athletics rule. It's not bad, Lufkin sends a lot of athletes on scholarship to colleges. Crime is as expected in towns this size and struggling between rural and big city growing pains. Lufkin and Nac are quick 20 minute drive and offer vast difference in atmospheres. Lufkin has more of a big city feel, large highways and freeways leading into Lufkin give it the metropolitan aspect. Nacogdoches, with its smaller roadways and older architecture makes for that smaller town atmosphere, unique to most college towns. Nacogdoches has a newly built water park, lakes, and has vast trails throughout town for walking, running, biking, or just admiring the beauty of Nacogdoches, which in full spring blossoms is speculalar. Lufkin has a real treasure with our zoo. We have a museum of natural history, forestry and one of the finest golf courses available in Texas. Like most towns, both have negatives, but the positive make both places soecial, both towns provide a healthy counterculture to each other. Nacogdoches is more for the college or retiree age, employment is more challenging in Nac.
Lufkin is perfect for raising a family. I've lived in both towns since 1988.
Getsomeperspecti ve

United States

#114 Jul 15, 2016
diqhead wrote:
Fantastic post Gone4good. Thank you for taking the time to post all of that. All of it, every word of it is 100% accurate.
It's always good to trust someone who's username is "diqhead"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lufkin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
David Mettlen? Aug 10 Concerned 1
corner of six st. and ave F (Feb '15) Jul 23 mr nobody 4
Louie gohmert Jul 19 anon 2
News Numerous Deep East Texas Jack-in-the-Box restau... Jun '17 mr nobody 2
newks Jun '17 mr nobody 2
Sheila Ann Morton missing (Aug '14) Jun '17 Still concerned 12
News 10/18 BOWMAN: The settlement of Cuthand (Oct '09) May '17 Anonymous 5

Lufkin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance