12-Year-Old Wrecks, Two Dead

Full story: WXIA Atlanta

By RUSS BYNUM Associated Press Writer SAVANNAH, Ga. -- A 12-year-old girl driving her father's pickup truck lost control near the end of her parents' dirt driveway in Long County and overturned into a ditch, ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Oct 22, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wes sheridan

Lubbock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 5, 2007
 

Judged:

2

1

im a good friend to both stephanie merrit and shawnee mcgowan and i would just like to say rest in peace. we love and miss you,
love
wes sheridan
concerned

Savannah, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 12, 2007
 

Judged:

2

1

1

wes sheridan wrote:
im a good friend to both stephanie merrit and shawnee mcgowan and i would just like to say rest in peace. we love and miss you,
love
wes sheridan
what about Ani? She died too! Noone seems to be concerned about her!
kcl

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 12, 2007
 

Judged:

2

1

1

concerned wrote:
<quoted text>what about Ani? She died too! Noone seems to be concerned about her!
Why is a 12 yr old driving in the first place????? Hellooooooooo
A friend

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 14, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

Of a mother of 3 children, I would never let them drive that young. Not even to take out the trash. What kind of parent does that?? Yes I know it's a big deal when your child wants to drive. But that is when you have to be the parent and put your foot down. I am I have to agree with kcl, who in their right mind lets a 12 yr old drive in the 1st place. Well I guess those parents have to live with that choice for the rest of their lives.
DCC

Calhoun, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 14, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Now I do understand they are on a farm and that it is common for young children under 16 to drive equipment and other vehicles but I feel as if 12 is too young without supervision and especially for that vehicle.

I honestly do feel as if an adult was sitting in that passenger seat the tragedy could have been avoided. I do not believe any fingers should be pointed at the parents because if they felt like their daughter couldnt handle it they wouldnt let her run the errands. Even licensed teen drivers get into accidents everyday. You do grow up fast on a farm/rural areas.

Fact of the matter is not only the life of one child was lost but two were. Meaning there are two families mourning right now. My prayers are with them.

Its all about prevention right now so I hope other parents set a few restrictions with their kids whether its being in the vehicle with them or waiting until their child gets alittle older.
concerned

Savannah, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 15, 2007
 

Judged:

1

DCC wrote:
Now I do understand they are on a farm and that it is common for young children under 16 to drive equipment and other vehicles but I feel as if 12 is too young without supervision and especially for that vehicle.
I honestly do feel as if an adult was sitting in that passenger seat the tragedy could have been avoided. I do not believe any fingers should be pointed at the parents because if they felt like their daughter couldnt handle it they wouldnt let her run the errands. Even licensed teen drivers get into accidents everyday. You do grow up fast on a farm/rural areas.
Fact of the matter is not only the life of one child was lost but two were. Meaning there are two families mourning right now. My prayers are with them.
Its all about prevention right now so I hope other parents set a few restrictions with their kids whether its being in the vehicle with them or waiting until their child gets alittle older.
why wouldn't you point fingers at the parents. The so called adult was the babysitter. If she wanted to let her daughter the 12 yr old drive that is her choice, but to let 4 other children get into the truck with the 12 yr old is pure neglect and extreme irresponisibility.
Katie arnott

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 19, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

concerned wrote:
<quoted text>why wouldn't you point fingers at the parents. The so called adult was the babysitter. If she wanted to let her daughter the 12 yr old drive that is her choice, but to let 4 other children get into the truck with the 12 yr old is pure neglect and extreme irresponisibility.
alice mcgowan is a very good person as and aunt she is good
Aunya McGuire

Brunswick, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 6, 2008
 
Shawnee was a friend of mine, we weren't super close, but she was a great girl, and she will always have a place in my heart. i still pray over her family and the people that were close to her. We love you shawnee.
Macy Smith

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 9, 2008
 

Judged:

2

Shawnee was the best friend i've ever had , and we have both driven around our property's and we quite good , if she was a bad driver Alice and Mr.Shawn would have never let her driven . but she was good and on march 30 it was just a bad day for shawnee and she loved to have fun and i think it got to her and she wasnt thinking . so lay off of everybody .
Kirstie Agbay

Jesup, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 29, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Shawnee was a great person. Her parents are great people. Do not bash on them for something they cant fix now. Pray for them because to this day they are still in mourning.
jamie moody

Rincon, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 24, 2010
 

Judged:

3

1

1

this has been sometime but i hope these people with the negative comments come back to this page one day. you bunch of IDIOTS dont have a clue about what your commenting on. they were and are good parents. if it had been an accident on a four wheeler or something else no one would be saying anything. dont judge people that you dont know. and this happen on a dirt driveway/road. keep your damn comments to yourself you shallow minded critics. may you face the judgment you place upon others!
John Doe

Mound, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 24, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Its still hard to believe that an adult would let a 12 yr old drive a truck with other kids in it.
zach owens

Dothan, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Aug 9, 2010
 

Judged:

4

2

2

A friend wrote:
Of a mother of 3 children, I would never let them drive that young. Not even to take out the trash. What kind of parent does that?? Yes I know it's a big deal when your child wants to drive. But that is when you have to be the parent and put your foot down. I am I have to agree with kcl, who in their right mind lets a 12 yr old drive in the 1st place. Well I guess those parents have to live with that choice for the rest of their lives.
first of all dont act all innocent and say youve never let your kid drive around the yard u stupid b*tch!!!!!!! it was an accident!!! it couldve happened to anyone. so dont judge mrs alice and mr shawn for bad parenting cause it takes a bad parent to know a bad parent!!!!
Jane Doe

Jesup, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 24, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

Of all the horrible comments left, I pray this never happens to your child. This family is amazing. And still mourn Shawnee's Death. Think before you speak. And pray that your child will be kept safe. Spend the time you are spending on bad mouthing this family- on raising your own children.
Carlee

Savannah, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
May 12, 2011
 
Ummmm....... i dont know who yall are but im sure yall didnt know har parents so i wouldnt say nothing they would do anything to redo that day so shut up and stop tryin tell them how to raise there kids when i bet you cant raise yours!!!!!!!!!!
curious

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
May 12, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Are there going to be any charges pressed against the adult that let the child drive? Im sure that it was an accident and the family is suffering but whoever gave that child the keys to that vehicle has these deaths on their hands and should be held responsible... Farm or no farm, there are rules about driving for a reason, and breaking the law is still breaking the law...
Just sayin

Albany, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jun 5, 2011
 
curious wrote:
Are there going to be any charges pressed against the adult that let the child drive? Im sure that it was an accident and the family is suffering but whoever gave that child the keys to that vehicle has these deaths on their hands and should be held responsible... Farm or no farm, there are rules about driving for a reason, and breaking the law is still breaking the law...
If there was I sure it has been done. You all need to leave this family alone. Times have changed and people have become more and more ignorant. This accident happened several years ago. And I would like to know how old you all were the very first time you ever drove your daddy's truck around the yard??
anon

Savannah, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 5, 2011
 

Judged:

1

wasnt on the yard though was it

“ Rock ~n~Roll, and "Food"”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jun 5, 2011
 
sorry to hear about this. Can't believe this post still circulating after all these years. It's nice to have a reminder what young kids can do and remembering the loved lost ones. Lets not cause harmful memories to resurface for the family of the lost. The adult I'm sure who may have let the 12 year old drive did not intend on anyone getting hurt, and yes she did not think strait and was negligence in her decision to allow a child that young drive. Besides just allowing to kid to drive could there have been another reason why she did let that kid drive?
Angie

Springfield, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jun 6, 2011
 
anon wrote:
wasnt on the yard though was it
NO it was not in the yard, in fact if you read this article, it says "lost control near the end of her parents' dirt driveway". This is untrue, the kids did go down the driveway to take the trash cans to the end of the driveway, BUT they also took a right onto the main dirt road. This is where the accident was, it was not on the property, it was down a good ways from where they lived on the MAIN DIRT ROAD. They had no business driving that big ass Ford Dually truck on that main road. This is different than just riding around their property.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ludowici Discussions

Search the Ludowici Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 7 min Jemima 49,566
Men Wearing Thongs (Sep '08) Wed Drew 239
Review: InstaLoan Jul 19 chris leonard 1
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Jul 16 what 2,045
Ludowici Politics (Dec '11) Jul 15 Long County TRUTH 27
Woman snaps photo of ghostly figure at 4th of J... Jul 14 resident 1
Klingbeil/Farley murder suicide 2006 (Mar '11) Jun 25 Toni 10
•••
•••
•••
•••

Ludowici Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Ludowici People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Ludowici News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ludowici
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••