sarah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2007

How bad is it? I've heard that Charlotte MI is a hotbed of racists, but I'd like to hear what Charlotte residents have to say about race relations there.
Guy

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2007

"I've heard that Charlotte MI is a hotbed of racists"???

Being a citizen of Charlotte I resent this statement. I find it ignorant, in fact. Charlotte is no more racist than any other city. I've witnessed more racism in Lansing than I ever have Charlotte.
sarah

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2007

I apologize if you feel that way. Like I said, it is what I heard, not how I feel, and I wanted to hear responses. My ignorance of the place is exactly why I'm asking instead of taking someone's comments as the truth. As someone who would like to invest in business there, this is a concern for me. I am a person of color, and if my family would not be treated well because of our race, than I would prefer to invest somewhere else. Just checking things out.
sarah

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2007

Furthermore, if people of color avoid Charlotte, then you wouldn't often see instances of racism. It is, after all, over 95% white according to the US census of 2000. Others have more tactfully said that it isn't easy to live in Charlotte unless you "belong there". I don't want to plunk down huge sums of money if I'm going to be frozen out by the local community.
Lisa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2007

I have lived in the suburbs of Charlotte my whole life,and while I don't think there are many families of color living here, I personally don't think the majority of the town is racist. I think we are pretty accepting, provided people are decent and working families, regardless of what color, you know?
Karen

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2007

Dear Sarah,
I have lived in chalotte for a few years now and although I personally have not witnessed rasicm but I do know that it is there. I am going to have my daughter write you also because she has went from the Lansing School District into the Charlotte School District and she can tell you more about the rasism she sees in the schools.Good luck
sarah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2007

Thank you Karen and Lisa. Karen, I look forward to your daughter's comments.
Shawna

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2007

I am a student at Charlotte, but I have also went to Lansing schools. There is racism in Charlotte. Many people that have lived here their whole life do not see it but its there. Though Charlotte is a wonderful place to live, its just that the people here do have racial slurs which are not "meant" to be hurtful but are. I dont not believe that the people here understand that what they are saying is wrong. I will tell you though this city is changing a lot and has a lot less and probably would be a nice place to start a buisness other than the ignorance of the small town.
peanuts

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2007

Judged:

As an African-American living in Charlotte, I'd say we got a lot of rascists here
Barb

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2007

Judged:

As a person who lives in Charlotte, I agree, we to an extent have racists here, but I also believe that it is not the town as whole. I do believe that as long as a person is a decent person and represents that in their daily life, that you will fit in fine with our town. I for one would welcome any person who has.
patrick

Camarillo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2007

FU
sarah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2007

Well, aside from Patrick's comment, I gather from the responses here that the white people in Charlotte think there is no racial problem, while those of color sit on the other side of the fence. That's enough for me. People can choose to be blind to another's hurt, but those who bear the brunt of the attacks will never forget it. I'll be taking my money elsewhere. Thanks for the responses.
Roger

East Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

Judged:

your stupid sarah, take your money and cram it up your ass.............. punk bitch
Jay

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

Sarah,

I am a white woman who grew up in Charlotte my whole life, and moved to Lansing where I met and married my husband, a black man. We currently live in Lansing. There is racism in Charlotte, however, it is not as bad as it used to be. The children tend to be more open, but Charlotte has always been a close knit town, and very rarely invite outsiders into their small knit community.

My husband and I visit my parents often, and occasionally we get the stares in the stores or people who used to talk to me in school, do not when I am with my husband. It is not necessarily the words that are spoken, but rather what is NOT said. However, now that people have gotten to know my husband they are becoming more open and accepting of him. There is still a little more hesitance in the community.

I probably would not have my sons who are bi-racial attend Charlotte. Just because most of the older people there who are white have assumptions and still have stereotypes of what happens in cities like LA and New York as well as what happened during the 60's and 70's. I would not want my children to have to deal with the typical stereotypes that still remains.
John

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

WOW is all I have to say. I have visited many cities in the United States. One thing I will say is that yes there is still some racist presents in Charlotte it is predomintely accepting. Especially when compared to a lot of other cities the same size as Charlotte. Having come from a town in the north where there was no black population to a town that in 2000 consisted of 55% white and 35% african american (this is true from the Census Bureau, other person needs to check their facts). Charlotte by many African American leaders has been known as the spear head of the south for it's tolerance and acceptance of many different races. In fact up until a 2002 Supreme court case Charlotte use to mix it's schools to make them equal. Since the case Charlotte has had to undo this and in turn there has beem a hugh increase in homogenous race schools. This though is not the city of Charlotte's fault. I really think that no matter where you live at you are going to find and face some form of racism. Charlotte is known as the banking capital of the south, and is second in the world only to New York city. For someone to not bring their business here would actually be completely irrational of them and down right dumb if I may be so frank. I find nothing wrong with inter-racial couples but you are right some people do stare. Unfortunetly not everyone in this world is accepting of mixed couples and it will be awhile before everyone is.
CDJ

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2010

John,

I think you are a little mistaken my friend, we are talking about Charlotte, MICHIGAN. Not Charlotte, NC, Have a great day.
robert blair

Kenmore, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

i was born and raise in charlotte in 1952 and we had a black family lived across from us they where the sweetist family any one could know if there was a death in your famile she was there to help you out she would cook food for you so you did not have to
then in the late 60 when i was in high school there was a black family who move to charlotte i am ashame to say this but the other students would treat the girl like she was below every one else
there where a few and i mean a few students who where nice to her including me
i have not live in charlotte for over 30 yrs
but charlotte was a nice town once
Dot

Manistee, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

Don't u just luv DUMB PEOPLE
stephanie j

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2010

I have lived in charlotte most of my life, i grew up there until i was about twelve. I really believe that you (Sarah) should never invest any of your money into that broke town. a couple of years ago it would not have been bad, but right now it is so small you wouldn't make any money. not to mention there are some people there that are racist, i have met them and they are very sad people. My boyfriend is also african american. I think that for everyone who is racist need to grow up and get a liife, it's the 21st century and white people will never be on top.
Lolli Popp

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

Whites have hated Blacks because they were jealous of their intelligence and work ethics. People have always tried to keep others down because they were afraid of losing their own positions in society or at the job. I am white by the way.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ludington Discussions

Search the Ludington Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
Mae McCrath Jul 4 Hmmm 1
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jun 30 TruthBeTold 5,481
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun 25 lulubell 302
Tom Rotta / Good for Ludington? Jun 22 Lud citizen 12
Ludington SUCKS (Jul '13) May '14 anna 6
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) May '14 Ned Tugent 114
•••
•••
•••
•••

Ludington Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Ludington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••