A Wal-Mart in Manistee might return d...

A Wal-Mart in Manistee might return dollars to Manistee now...

There are 112 comments on the Ludington Daily News story from Jan 11, 2007, titled A Wal-Mart in Manistee might return dollars to Manistee now.... In it, Ludington Daily News reports that:

A Wal-Mart opening in Manistee might have positives for the county, but it could mean a loss of revenue for retail stores in Mason County, according to a report released by large-retail expert Rodney Runyan for ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ludington Daily News.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Mich

Benicarló, Spain

#147 Jan 14, 2009
LOST ALL IN MISSISSIPPI wrote:
well stocked in that department as well as plenty of food, water and wood.
The way I like to describe it is
a corrupt police state in a corrupt corporate world.
Don't think Obama is anywhere near as bad as the so called republican party. I don't think their has been a true republican politician for 100 years.
The best thing that could happen, in my opinion, is both parties be replaced by the Libertarians and the Green Party. Its time for the "republicrats" to go the way of the Wigs.
thats right there is no real difference between the two major parties,big gov´t and big brother etc..........infowars.com
Mich

Benicarló, Spain

#148 Jan 14, 2009
What are you doing in Spain, besides sucking up the sunshine.
live here with my spanish wife haven´t lived in michigan for 9 years now,but still vote thrid party..........

“Best Quilter in Alamogordo”

Since: Feb 08

Alamogordo

#150 Jan 14, 2009
First of all, I don't fight on topix, I debate. I stopped responding to you because you can't get your story straight. Then you followed me to another forum just to pick a fight, that is called stalking. You need to grow up.
I have been voiting third party since Andreson in 1980,thats been a long task with little results. I was hoping green party would get third party fed funding with Nader in 80 but we fell 400,000 votes short, better close than not at all.
Wife in Spain , nice
Hey mich , check out the comments from my walmart friend in Alamogordo under cruz.......
She starts a fight, runs away, then calls me a stalker.
stay warm
Eric

Grand Rapids, MI

#151 Jan 29, 2009
There is not enough population in the area for Meijer or Walmart to open up in Manistee. Manistee, is what no more than 25 miles to Ludington?
Big Bull

Manistee, MI

#152 Jan 29, 2009
I im form manistee. bern n rised. the town iz fine. all da stores downtown iz good to me to. da pleece not nice, but dey has da guns so I does like dey tells me.

LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

“it's just craic”

Since: Jan 09

Hudsonville, MI

#153 Jan 30, 2009
Is English your first language.
No grew up in south Louisiana.

English is my second language.
Freaky Deaky Polska

Washington, MI

#154 Feb 12, 2009
You must be from the avenues, or Parkdale. Choose your stink.
TonyT

Clarksville, IN

#155 Apr 22, 2009
The downtown of Manistee is still a vibrant place, you have icons like Snyders which have been part of the area for such a long time. These places are locally owned and operated, often times paying people much more than a place like Walmart tends to. When these locally owned businesses make a profit, the profit stays in Manistee instead of going to shareholders all over the planet. If you truly love your community, if you like activity going on downtown, (which also helps the tourist industry) keep walmart away.
Manistee Resident

Allegan, MI

#156 Apr 22, 2009
TonyT wrote:
The downtown of Manistee is still a vibrant place, you have icons like Snyders which have been part of the area for such a long time. These places are locally owned and operated, often times paying people much more than a place like Walmart tends to. When these locally owned businesses make a profit, the profit stays in Manistee instead of going to shareholders all over the planet. If you truly love your community, if you like activity going on downtown,(which also helps the tourist industry) keep walmart away.
Word has it that Meijer is planning to build in Filer Township. I know there has been discussion but do not know if it was finalized at this date.
Meijer or any other Big Box store will not take away any business from River Street and may well add to there dollars. There are hundreds of Manistee shoppers who go to Ludington to shop at Meijer and WalMart, why are we not opposed to adding dollars into Ludington's economy?
TonyT

Charlestown, IN

#157 Nov 5, 2010
Take a look at what happened to Sault sainte Marie when walmart was put it. It destroyed the downtown area. Box stores are terrible, they are like sea lampreys, sucking the blood from a community and sending back to Arkansas. At least with the small stores downtown, like Snyder, the money stays in the community. Seriously, box stores are bad news.
Harry Buttocks

Grand Rapids, MI

#158 Nov 7, 2010
Nobody in Manistee would look out of place in a Wal Mart. You might as well have one.
already know

United States

#159 Apr 30, 2012
I can remember our town before we had walmart. there was a bunch of smaller businesses and personal shops where you could go and get great service. once walmart moved into town everybody seem to have to close up shop they could not compete with walmarts pricing and once all the shops in small businesses were closed walmart pricing went up they do not offer any good living wages I stay clear of walmart every chance I get.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ludington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
joyce storey Dec 21 nuks67 1
Best Drug Rehab (Aug '12) Dec '16 ReginaWalker 9
News Commutation hearing set for today in '86 Charlo... (Jan '10) Nov '16 School teacher 5
Why are Mexicans hated so much ?? (May '12) Oct '16 Martin Boyce 22
Tom Rotta / Good for Ludington? (Mar '14) Oct '16 Gone with the Wind 22
Lloyd Conway Sep '16 Man 1
CPS-abuse of power in Eaton County (Nov '12) Jul '16 Innocent victims 8

Ludington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ludington Mortgages