Racers say deaths in desert race were...

Racers say deaths in desert race were preventable

There are 12 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from Aug 17, 2010, titled Racers say deaths in desert race were preventable. In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

Offroad drivers say lax crowd control and a lack of common sense by spectators played a major role in the death this weekend of eight people at off-road race in the Lucerne Valley.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

Cjs

Orange, CA

#1 Aug 18, 2010
On this one you really have to question the stupidity of the spectators not the driver. It was an accident and for them to throw rocks at the driver? In any case my condolences go out to the families of the ones that were lost or hurt.

Since: Dec 09

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Aug 18, 2010
"Offroad drivers say lax crowd control and a lack of common sense by spectators played a major role in the death this weekend of eight people at off-road race in the Lucerne Valley."

Shocking.......
Ironfeather

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Aug 18, 2010
So how exactly to you enforce the rules at events like these? I've seen people being asked to move away to only move back to their previous spot 5 minutes later. And fences? How many miles of fences are you going to need? People do not follow rules or barriers, I've seen it countless times.
racing fan

Pasadena, CA

#4 Aug 18, 2010
Ironfeather wrote:
So how exactly to you enforce the rules at events like these? I've seen people being asked to move away to only move back to their previous spot 5 minutes later. And fences? How many miles of fences are you going to need? People do not follow rules or barriers, I've seen it countless times.
I have seen the same thing. Some people don't have any sense.
King of SGV

Buena Park, CA

#5 Aug 18, 2010
Can't blame the driver on this one...
unknown racer

Dana Point, CA

#6 Aug 18, 2010
I went through this exact spot minutes before the accident. I have raced in mexico as well as in the states. The crowd was extremely close like they are at many of the races in mexico I have participated in. However I wish the news media and our society would stop with the knee jerk reactions to unfortunate accidents such as this one. Everyone needs to stop the finger pointing and we all need to work together to make our sport safe for all involved. I have one last thing to add to all of the individuals in the news media that think that this is a sport of little or now skill . I challenge you to approach us members of the offroad community and ask us for a better understanding of the sport instead of getting your information from unknowing sources.
jack

West Covina, CA

#7 Aug 18, 2010
Just like 1987 when a large storm was coming in with a swell from the south , a restaurant in Redondo Beach,I believe was the Blue Moon,
the waves started slaming at the windows and people wre cheering and ordering drinks and saying is that all you got , Then all h--- broke loose,broken glass,funiture and people flyn around lots of damage .
just have to reconize DANGER by all,responsibility falls on everyone.hope all recover
Law Abiding Citizen

Covina, CA

#8 Aug 18, 2010
This is just like anything else. people get injured by something that they are warned not to do and then want to blame the outcome on others.
I saw the interview with the guys mom, he had pushed his 3 year old daughter and another boy out of the way to only lose his. She said she wanted to speak to the driver because as much hurt as she had for losing her son she could only imagine that the driver's hurt was 8 times worse. She wanted to let him know that as the mother of one of the lost lives she know it was an accident and not his fault.
Of course the guy shouldn't have been standing that close, especially with children so young. However, when the adrenaline is pumping you tend to get excited and everyone got closer. Unfortunately you cannot fence off the entire 200 or 500 miles of open desert so protect the fans. And even if a fence was up I'm sure at the speed it looked like he was going he would have taken that fence down, and possibly it could have landed on more people and killed more than just the 8 that were taken.
It was an unfortunate incident and for myself I have never been and can guarantee I will never go to one of these events. I think to myself how can someone put their life and others at risk to sit that close and watch trucks go by so fast. But then again I am a "What If" type of person. And of course things I do or like I'm sure people would say the same.
Again, my sympathy goes out to everyone involved but it was just an accident.
Amigo

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Aug 18, 2010
Stand by for the lawsuits!!!! This is all the spectators fault..I can only imagine how bad that driver feels...
I was there really there

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Aug 18, 2010
My family has been desert racing since 1975. My family's car was waiting to start the race Saturday night, I was waiting to take times as I always do, when I was asked by race officials to help and if we had any paramedics in our group, which we did. Myself, my friend, and paramedic friend were on the scene within 20 minutes at approx 8pm, and returned to camp at 4am. I was asked to get names,ages, phone numbers for the deceased and injured, while my friend and paramedic friend started giving care to the injured. Yes, I saw everything first hand. There were other off duty fire personnel that were helping also. The truck was on it lid only 2 feet off the course, yes, just 2 feet. The area stuck with alcohol! It is also interesting to note that some of the injured had raced vehicles in the past and attended driver's meeting, where they go over all the rules including staying 125 feet off the course, but now, of course, no one seems to remember the rules. Also, this truck was at least the 20th car to go past the rock pile that night, you would have thought after the first vehicle came by, the crowd would have backed up. Also, did you notice in the videos, every other person had a silver can, what do you think that was? There were witnesses that told me that they saw people shot gunning bears all day. This was a very unfortunate accident, but if there someone to blame, it is the spectators!!!!!! But probably what will happen is the promotor will be destroyed, as the sick society is sue crazy, and everything is always someone elses fault. It is time people stand up and take the blame for their own actions!!!!!!!!!!

Since: Dec 09

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Aug 19, 2010
I was there really there wrote:
My family has been desert racing since 1975. My family's car was waiting to start the race Saturday night, I was waiting to take times as I always do, when I was asked by race officials to help and if we had any paramedics in our group, which we did. Myself, my friend, and paramedic friend were on the scene within 20 minutes at approx 8pm, and returned to camp at 4am. I was asked to get names,ages, phone numbers for the deceased and injured, while my friend and paramedic friend started giving care to the injured. Yes, I saw everything first hand. There were other off duty fire personnel that were helping also. The truck was on it lid only 2 feet off the course, yes, just 2 feet. The area stuck with alcohol! It is also interesting to note that some of the injured had raced vehicles in the past and attended driver's meeting, where they go over all the rules including staying 125 feet off the course, but now, of course, no one seems to remember the rules. Also, this truck was at least the 20th car to go past the rock pile that night, you would have thought after the first vehicle came by, the crowd would have backed up. Also, did you notice in the videos, every other person had a silver can, what do you think that was? There were witnesses that told me that they saw people shot gunning bears all day. This was a very unfortunate accident, but if there someone to blame, it is the spectators!!!!!! But probably what will happen is the promotor will be destroyed, as the sick society is sue crazy, and everything is always someone elses fault. It is time people stand up and take the blame for their own actions!!!!!!!!!!
Well put. Thanks for sharing your story.
goober files

United States

#12 Aug 19, 2010
Goobber has alot of kin folk lining the track with no common sence even bringing their offspring too and then blaming the driver, That's really stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucerne Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tweaker in Big Bear City is a car burglar Sun Looking for tweaker 1
News Code enforcement using new citation and collect... (Feb '10) Sep 4 Himyo ownho hebut... 24
News Vagos motorcycle club targeted in Southern Cali... (Mar '06) Aug 29 Hagatha May 4,853
Hookups Aug '17 Applevalleygentleman 1
News Downed Plane Found in Big Bear City Jul '17 Anonymous 1
Exterior Painting Cost Jul '17 Sportsdad43 1
Sara Stockman Apr '17 SARA STOCKMAN 1

Lucerne Valley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lucerne Valley Mortgages