#1 Feb 14, 2014
You continually post all of these polls and items from the internet - I don't get it.
#2 Feb 15, 2014
Did you know?
1. President John F. Kennedy sent his press secretary to buy 1,200 Cuban cigars the night before he signed the embargo in Feb. 1962.
2. Estimates place the cost of the Cuban embargo to the US economy between $1.2 and $4.84 billion annually. A 2010 study by Texas A&M University calculated that 6,000 American jobs could be created by lifting the embargo.
3. There were an estimated total of 6,602 political detentions in Cuba in 2012, which is among the world's highest on a per capita basis.
4. The United States began exporting food to Cuba following a devastating hurricane in 2001 and is now the island's second-largest food supplier. Annual food sales to Cuba peaked at $710 million in 2008.
5. The US policy on Cuban migration is known as "wet foot/dry foot" because if a Cuban is interdicted at sea ("wet foot"), she will be returned to Cuba, but if she manages to reach land ("dry foot"), she will be permitted to stay in the United States.
The embargo harms the people of Cuba, not the government as intended. Cubans are denied access to technology, medicine, affordable food, and other goods that could be available to them if the United States lifted the embargo. A report by the American Association for World Health found that doctors in Cuba have access to less than 50% of the drugs on the world market, and that food shortages led to a 33% drop in caloric intake between 1989 and 1993. The report stated, "it is our expert medical opinion that the US embargo has caused a significant rise in suffering-and even deaths-in Cuba." Amnesty International reported in 2011 that "treatments for children and young people with bone cancer...[and] antiretroviral drugs used to treat children with HIV/AIDS" were not readily available with the embargo in place because "they were commercialized under US patents."
Add your comments below
|Cyber stalking, harassment or threat. (Feb '17)||5 hr||Sick of drama||32|
|Dumb Leonard||6 hr||Hang A Hick||23|
|Will Waveland cops have to pay to take home the...||Jun 15||Waveland Tax Payer||2|
|Constance (Jun '15)||Jun 8||Guest||8|
|George County deputy arrested for domestic viol... (Aug '15)||Jun 1||Gotta_ Wonder||2|
|Anyone Know Good Paid or Free Dating Sites? (Aug '12)||Mar '18||zan||7|
|Fishing below the Wilkerson Ferry (Aug '11)||Mar '18||Brandon0852||6|
Find what you want!
Search Lucedale Forum Now
Copyright © 2018 Topix LLC