Should Paula Deen have lost her show?

Created by Sportsman101 on Jun 21, 2013

120 votes

Click on an option to vote

No

Yes

I'm not sure

“John 3:16”

Since: Sep 09

George County, MS. USA

#1 Jun 21, 2013
The celebrity chef posted three short apology videos on YouTube amid allegations she used racial slurs in the past, but the network says it won't renew her contract.
Fed up

Hattiesburg, MS

#2 Jun 21, 2013
Only if Bill Maher loses his. Whoopi Goldberg defended Maher for referring to Sarah Palin's son as Retarded, saying that it was okay because that word used to be "in common usage". I am still waiting on her to come out and defend Deen........but all I hear are crickets!
#liberalismisamentaldisorder

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#3 Jun 21, 2013
Fed up wrote:
Only if Bill Maher loses his. Whoopi Goldberg defended Maher for referring to Sarah Palin's son as Retarded, saying that it was okay because that word used to be "in common usage". I am still waiting on her to come out and defend Deen........but all I hear are crickets!
#liberalismisamentaldisorder
She is just the wrong color and I bet you that not one public figure or anyone she represents will back her. She will spend millions to fight law suits too.

“John 3:16”

Since: Sep 09

George County, MS. USA

#4 Jun 22, 2013
Maher Slams Paula Deen Outrage: Why Do People Always Have To Go Away For Saying A Bad Word?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/maher-slams-paula-...

Bill Maher emerged as a rare media defender of celebrity chef Paula Deen, saying that she made a racially insensitive comment in private and that shouldn’t warrant her being fired and sent away from her show. Maher noted that the comment wasn’t made in public.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#5 Jun 22, 2013
The_SCOOP wrote:
Maher Slams Paula Deen Outrage: Why Do People Always Have To Go Away For Saying A Bad Word?
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/maher-slams-paula-...
Bill Maher emerged as a rare media defender of celebrity chef Paula Deen, saying that she made a racially insensitive comment in private and that shouldn’t warrant her being fired and sent away from her show. Maher noted that the comment wasn’t made in public.
He is the last person I would want to defend me. He makes fun of mentally disabled children. I do think what is said in private should not cost you a job.
SouthernBelle68

Picayune, MS

#6 Jun 24, 2013
Even though so many turn a blind eye to it, Racism IS ALIVE today, more than it has ever been. Big deal, Ms Paula said a 'bad word'. If you could put MLK or Jesse Jackson under oath as to whether they have said the words "cracker, honkey, or whitey"... What do you think they would say? If they said that they haven't, we all know better. But if they admit to it, would you treat them in the same manner that you are treating Ms Paula Deen?? I don't think so. Because "Racism" in America today is a double-standard. Its okay for the black community to say the N word or any other words they wish to. But oh no, a white person can't disgrace another race. But the black's can. Why?? There is NOT a person on God's green earth that has never said a racial slur...... Get over it, get past it. Let the past stay there. But if the black community wants to stay stirred up about the N word, go turn on a music channel and you will hear black musicians singing it all day long...... If it is a word that is NOT to be used, then don't use it at all...... Thank you, have a good day.
WhistleBerries commented 14 minutes ago
I believe the Food Network made a bad decision, in a knee-jerk reaction to inappropriate language in a rush to be politically correct.
I have been in the presence of Black people who, upon having a Black friend pass by, said, "Hey, wassup @&##%."
Apparently, it is OK for Black people to use the term, but not other people. This type of thing has been happening for a very long time.
I think a formal reprimand, with a requirement to do an on-air apology would have been a better response by Food Network. It is not too late for them to act in a more positie way.
However, the fact that Food Network management is so narrow minded, and uncreative, disinclines me to be a viewer. The only way I can respond is by not watching Food Network. I urge others to do the same, until Ms. Dean gets reinstated, with an appropriate, business-like, sanction.
This whole matter is a result of alleged inappropriate actions by Paula Deen's brother. He is the one who deserves some closer attention.
However, one must not forget that all of this could be "trumped up" by the employee in an effort to try to score a big settlement... eh? Often times, innocent people are skewered by the "he said, she said," type of controversy, such as this one.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#7 Jun 24, 2013
She will not get her job back, everyone is dropping her. Two of the largest sponsors have told Food Network not to run their ads on her show. Smithfield has dropped her today, everyone that she represents will follow too. Her empire will decline for sure.

“John 3:16”

Since: Sep 09

George County, MS. USA

#8 Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, its the sponsors who have the pull. They have to go after them before any impact or result can e made.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#9 Jun 26, 2013
I think that her interview on the Today show will only hurt her more - when you say "I is what I is" that will not help her. I admire her for saying it and being honest, but to stay in the public spot light these days, you have to kiss up. Hopefully she is well enough off that she can retire and just sit around and grin.

“John 3:16”

Since: Sep 09

George County, MS. USA

#10 Jun 26, 2013
Since when is not showing up on the today show like ignoring a warrant?

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#11 Jun 26, 2013
The_SCOOP wrote:
Since when is not showing up on the today show like ignoring a warrant?
I don't know what you are referring to, but she was on the Today show this morning.
JustSaying

Pattison, MS

#12 Jun 28, 2013
witch hunt

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#13 Jun 28, 2013
JustSaying wrote:
witch hunt
It is amazing that someone can lose it all over saying a word - she could have done many things illegal and still have remained a celebrity, but her day is over now and the same for her sons.
Underthebluesky

Petal, MS

#14 Jun 29, 2013
Fed up wrote:
Only if Bill Maher loses his. Whoopi Goldberg defended Maher for referring to Sarah Palin's son as Retarded, saying that it was okay because that word used to be "in common usage". I am still waiting on her to come out and defend Deen........but all I hear are crickets!
#liberalismisamentaldisorder
Whoopi did defend her on the view Wednesday morning.
Whyyoucare

Petal, MS

#15 Jun 29, 2013
Racism is a fact of life. It has been around since the beginning. Our country was founded by racists. Look what happened to the native Americans! Our people don't exist. At least most other cultures still have their homeland.

“John 3:16”

Since: Sep 09

George County, MS. USA

#16 Jun 29, 2013
cipsaw wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what you are referring to, but she was on the Today show this morning.
She was supposed to be on it earlier but didn't make it. So they made that an issue.

“John 3:16”

Since: Sep 09

George County, MS. USA

#17 Jun 29, 2013
KasKy

Mobile, AL

#18 Jun 29, 2013
Why do they allow black people to say it in rap songs without any retribution?

“John 3:16”

Since: Sep 09

George County, MS. USA

#19 Jul 13, 2013
http://now.msn.com/paula-deen-to-get-rally-co...

'Black People for Paula' begs forgiveness for Deen's dirty deeds

In the eyes of many Americans, Paula Deen's admitted use of a racial slur is unforgivable. But in the eyes of African-American members of a group known as Black People for Paula, the lady should be forgiven.

The members have even organized a rally set for Aug. 16 outside the "Good Morning America" studio, in hopes of making it on air. According to a screed on the coalition's website, "The Black community has forgiven Paula, it's time for us all to open our hearts and give this good woman a second chance."

BPFP boasts that 100 supporters will be gathering for the tarnished chef.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucedale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Incest family in George County 10 hr mentul_autocrat 35
Verified Incest In Lucedale 11 hr Lil Deb 2
Wreck in Agricola Sep 17 Smalltownusa 1
Robert Tomlin arrested in the city of Lucedale (Oct '13) Sep 13 RKing 37
AnyBody Else Notice The NFL Players in Town (Jul '12) Sep 8 Granny1950 30
Old Wal Mart Building Sep 6 mentul_autocrat 1
hwy 613 Sep 5 Faith 1
•••
•••
•••

Lucedale Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Lucedale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Lucedale News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lucedale
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••