AMR Ambulance Services a ripoff....

Posted in the Lucedale Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Jan 11

United States

#1 Jan 17, 2011
My father recently had to be transported from his home to George county hospital because of a medical condition he has.
The hospital wanted to admit him but he wanted to go to where his attending physician was located which is Mobile Infirmary because he was just discharged from there just 36 hours prior. The hospital arranged transport for him and when the ambulance arrived we were shocked to find out by an EMT that we had to pay $805.21 before they would transfer him. This had to be a cash transaction and they would not leave until they had their money. I told them we had to go get it and would be back in about 15 minutes to which their reply was that if we get a call before you get back we will leave and he would have to wait till they got back. We made it back and he was transported with an ambulance bill of $1610.42. AMR is the ambulance service…
It is 37 miles from Hospital to Hospital which calculates out to $43.51 per mile. I talked to another ambulance service who quoted a price of $400 for pickup and $10 per mile for a one-way transport. That equals out to $770.00 total bill and they do not ask for money up front. This ambulance service also has a membership card which you can purchase for $49 per family member and it knocks 40% off the price which would then be around $450 for the same trip that my father is having to pay $1610 for…This is a travesty and the supervisors are the one’s that has control over the ambulance service in George County.

I am going to talk to my supervisor and see what he is going to do about the outrageous cost and if he is not then I am going to put a big ad in the newspaper about AMR ripping people off….

Keep this in mind if you want to be transported to Mobile…Do not use AMR….

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#2 Jan 17, 2011
Who else is there to use?

Location hidden

#3 Jan 17, 2011
shoopie wrote:
Who else is there to use?
You need to talk with Mr Gardner at the hospital - does your dad have insurance? I bet they don't make all these dead beats that call them all the time pay.
Simple Solution

Pascagoula, MS

#4 Jan 17, 2011
Your Dad should have stayed at GC if they had the means to care for him. It was HIS DECISION to go to Mobile, therefore being under Medical Care he had to be taken by Ambulance. And being that George County is so small they only need one Ambulance Service. Seems to me that you want the best care for your Dad, but you feel you should not have to pay a lot for exceptional Medical Care. The EMTs caring for dear ol' Dad for those 31 miles have HIS LIFE IN THEIR HANDS, and have you ever considered the maintenance costs on an Ambulance? What about the cost of training those Medics? Next time Dad gets sick don't call 911, just put him in your car and take him to Mobile yourself. You may want to flash your high beams so you can drive fast like AMR!

Since: Jan 11

United States

#5 Jan 17, 2011
AMR doesn't have a monopoly at George County...

If the cost to transport is so expensive then why is Newmans over 50% cheaper to transport him to the same place....

All you do is tell them you want him transported by Newmans and they will deliver him...I don't care who carried him but now that I know that I have a choice you can bet that I won't be using AMR...

Location hidden

#6 Jan 17, 2011
Does Newmans have to come out of Mobile, if so, wouldn't that we slow in an emergency?

Since: Dec 10

Columbus, OH

#7 Jan 18, 2011
If the cost to transport is so expensive then why is Newmans over 50% cheaper to transport him to the same place....

Be careful!! You get what you pay for! Plus Newmans is not in George County, so how long are you willing to wait? What if GC Hospital needs the bed space?

Overall I don't think AMR deserves all the negative talk they are receiving. AMR responds to 911 emergencies as well as IFT (Inter Facility Transfer) hundreds of times per month, and only a very few times are they given a negative reveiw.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#8 Jan 18, 2011
Simple Solution wrote:
Your Dad should have stayed at GC if they had the means to care for him. It was HIS DECISION to go to Mobile, therefore being under Medical Care he had to be taken by Ambulance. And being that George County is so small they only need one Ambulance Service. Seems to me that you want the best care for your Dad, but you feel you should not have to pay a lot for exceptional Medical Care. The EMTs caring for dear ol' Dad for those 31 miles have HIS LIFE IN THEIR HANDS, and have you ever considered the maintenance costs on an Ambulance? What about the cost of training those Medics? Next time Dad gets sick don't call 911, just put him in your car and take him to Mobile yourself. You may want to flash your high beams so you can drive fast like AMR!
since you are so quick to defend, please justify over 40 dollars per mile transported. I personally think that is absurd since we are limited to that particular service. i am anxious to see your justification. Also, please justify the money up front.

Location hidden

#9 Jan 18, 2011
I can see the money up front if you do not have insurance, but that is a high price just to go to Mobile. Unless we are critical, we will go by car, I think our supervisors are going to have to get involved with the ambulance service. GC hospital should have their own, I do not like out sourcing. I don't think having to get an ambulance out of Mobile would be good.

Location hidden

#10 Jan 18, 2011
shoopie wrote:
I can see the money up front if you do not have insurance, but that is a high price just to go to Mobile. Unless we are critical, we will go by car, I think our supervisors are going to have to get involved with the ambulance service. GC hospital should have their own, I do not like out sourcing. I don't think having to get an ambulance out of Mobile would be good.
I don't see it in an emergency situation. Seems George county is monopolized in a lot of instances. Look at the garbage and tags.

Location hidden

#11 Jan 18, 2011
The man was transported to GC, but want to go to Mobile, after getting there - I bet insurance would not pay for two transports - many people will not pay for services rendered - I can kind of see that.

Location hidden

#12 Jan 18, 2011
He may have had a valid reason for the transport, they could have billed him, I seriously question the over 40 dollars a mile, that's my main thing. He may not have been in good enough shape to transport by personal vehicle, just being discharged 36 hours prior. Also hoiw did the bill jump from over 800 to over 1000 during a 40 minute ride if that long.

Location hidden

#13 Jan 18, 2011
That is excessive - let's break it down - 1 persons drives 20.00 an hour 2 hours 40.00 - I think two ride in the back let's say 80.00 - that is 120.00 for salaries and then if you added another 200.00 on for the vehicle that would be 320.00 - I don't know how much these people make, but I figure not over 20.00 an hour - seems to me that 800.00 is quite a profit. I understand the reason that we no longer have ambulances at our hospital is because people will not pay. You would be amazed at the up standing people that won't pay their bills.

Location hidden

#14 Jan 18, 2011
shoopie wrote:
That is excessive - let's break it down - 1 persons drives 20.00 an hour 2 hours 40.00 - I think two ride in the back let's say 80.00 - that is 120.00 for salaries and then if you added another 200.00 on for the vehicle that would be 320.00 - I don't know how much these people make, but I figure not over 20.00 an hour - seems to me that 800.00 is quite a profit. I understand the reason that we no longer have ambulances at our hospital is because people will not pay. You would be amazed at the up standing people that won't pay their bills.
i understand this, but often unpaid medical bills get government funding or are tax write off's. In any case, America's health care is a complete disaster and way out of control.

Location hidden

#15 Jan 18, 2011
Our hospital needs it's own ambulances, and they need to crack down on non-paying people, I would publish their name in the paper - I don't think it is fair for others to have to pay our bills, and when the government pays that is tax dollars. I don't think they will see you at the medical center if you owe them money. If we get Obama care it will only be worse, they will simply tell you where you are going to the hospital and who you will use, Old sick people will be in trouble.
just_wonderin

Richton, MS

#16 Jan 18, 2011
shoopie wrote:
Our hospital needs it's own ambulances, and they need to crack down on non-paying people, I would publish their name in the paper - I don't think it is fair for others to have to pay our bills, and when the government pays that is tax dollars. I don't think they will see you at the medical center if you owe them money. If we get Obama care it will only be worse, they will simply tell you where you are going to the hospital and who you will use, Old sick people will be in trouble.
I was wondering what particular section of the new health care bill makes you make that statement."they will simply tell you where you are going to the hospital and who you will use, Old sick people will be in trouble." just curious because I am still not sure what is even in the new health care law.

Location hidden

#17 Jan 18, 2011
I am not sure either - I just listen to talk shows, I know that I don't want it- from a financial stand point - we already have too many entitlements. I have a neighbor that never works doesn't want to and he will get insurance - I have always worked and paid very high premiums - I feel that people need some incentive to work. I have heard Obama reply to some questions, and I do know that we will not get as many diagnostic studies under Obama care, hip replacements in old age and things like that. I have heard these addressed.
Always concerned

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Mar 1, 2011
I am sure you were really not charged that much money.... Also realized that there us a huge difference in Mississippi rates and Alabama rates.... I think AMR is also in mobile and if u were to call them their rate would be cheaper too.... Not only that normally when a company gives u an upfront rate it pretty much stays around that number....but do not fault their policy.... Patients choice is patients choice and u should have to pay upfront.... It is not AMR or any other ambulance company's fault u do not want ur loved on in one particular place or the
Always concerned

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Mar 1, 2011
Other.... If George county could take care Of ur family memer then fine.... If not rest assure insurance will pay for them to get to a facility that can take care of them
Not-a-legal-eagl e

Columbus, OH

#20 Mar 1, 2011
It was NOT an emergerncy, and they wanted to ADMIT the PT. Can you people not read?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucedale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What kind of jobs do sexual offenders have afte... (Sep '09) Tue Darell smith 659
Ufo May 4 kottonmouth_king 2
bbw or cougar May 3 Granny1950 6
real haunted places (Oct '10) May 3 Haha 24
begging booboo Apr 27 Suck_it_up 9
Sheriff's involvement in residents' personal b... Apr 24 Sportsman101 3
Lake George Apr 24 sportsman101 6
More from around the web

Lucedale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]