Loss of inmate labor has George Co, L...

Loss of inmate labor has George Co, Lucedale leaders panicked

There are 15 comments on the WLOX-TV Biloxi story from Apr 25, 2013, titled Loss of inmate labor has George Co, Lucedale leaders panicked. In it, WLOX-TV Biloxi reports that:

George County and Lucedale City leaders are scrambling to put a halt to the Correction Department's plan to shut down the Community Work Center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLOX-TV Biloxi.

I SHOULD KNOW

Hattiesburg, MS

#1 Apr 26, 2013
This is a horrible idea. The CWC inmates are some of the very few who actually contribute back to the community as part of their sentence. Just what does MDOC plan to do with these inmates? Transfer them to another facility, where they will soak up taxpayer money while contributing nothing? Rediculous.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#2 Apr 26, 2013
If I had my way, prisoners would live In tents and work like dogs every day. Grow their own food and help the community. They need chains on their feet too.
Free labor or not

Pearl, MS

#3 Apr 26, 2013
Im sure the state has a budget just like counties and cities. My question is this, when these inmates come out to work they are given sack lunches each and every day rhat they leave the CWC'S that tax payers have already paid for yet I know that each beat of the county and the city buy lunches every day for these inmates who have already had lunches fixes for them. Now this may sound trivial but I also know that the inmates are not being fed lunch specials from area business but getting to order WHAT they like, even county employees are ordering lunches . Now these monthly bills for these inmate lunches total any where from 2 thousand to 3500 a month! Now if you figure those numbers times 5 Beats and the city at the TAX PAYERS expense just how much is it really benefitting the TAX PAYERS for inmate and employee lunches? Why can't the city and county line up a deal to pick up inmates from the state prison in Leakesville and let them eat the lunches that are prepared for them in their sack lunches that tax payers have already paid for ? Figure 2 thousand a month x 12 months x 5 beats x city inmates numbers might just astonish you.

Location hidden

#4 Apr 26, 2013
Free labor or not wrote:
Im sure the state has a budget just like counties and cities. My question is this, when these inmates come out to work they are given sack lunches each and every day rhat they leave the CWC'S that tax payers have already paid for yet I know that each beat of the county and the city buy lunches every day for these inmates who have already had lunches fixes for them. Now this may sound trivial but I also know that the inmates are not being fed lunch specials from area business but getting to order WHAT they like, even county employees are ordering lunches . Now these monthly bills for these inmate lunches total any where from 2 thousand to 3500 a month! Now if you figure those numbers times 5 Beats and the city at the TAX PAYERS expense just how much is it really benefitting the TAX PAYERS for inmate and employee lunches? Why can't the city and county line up a deal to pick up inmates from the state prison in Leakesville and let them eat the lunches that are prepared for them in their sack lunches that tax payers have already paid for ? Figure 2 thousand a month x 12 months x 5 beats x city inmates numbers might just astonish you.
Those lunch figures do stink. I think the criminals in Greene County are too violent to let out. That is a medium security prison, I don't think that would be safe.
correct

Pearl, MS

#5 Apr 26, 2013
The county and the city will try to figure out a way to charge us more taxes in the end ether way. And I'm sure the schools and places. That need it will not see any of it.
Tuffy

Jackson, MS

#6 Apr 27, 2013
cipsaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Those lunch figures do stink. I think the criminals in Greene County are too violent to let out. That is a medium security prison, I don't think that would be safe.
Actually SMCI in Leakesville has all types of custody. Minimum, Medium, and Max. The town of Leakesville and Green Co picks up inmates daily for projects and work details but they DON'T by them lunchs at local businesses they let them eat their lunches proaired by the prison. SMCI even has its own Fire Dept staffed by inmates that even help respond to fires in town. Anyway the George Co board of Supervisors COULD pick up inmates at the Leakesville prison for the same work crews that they had. But they sure as heck shouldnt be feeding them at the citizens expense when they have lunches prepaired for them from the prison!! Talk about ridiculous !!!!! And why would county workers need their lunc paid for them? Now you talk about a waste of tax payers money!
Gulf

Sioux City, IA

#7 Apr 27, 2013
If these people are low-risk offenders why not just GIVE THEM A JOB WORKING FOR THE CITY. You know, an honest paycheck so they don't have to sell drugs or do crime to make a living.

If they're low-risk why not give them a chance. Gotta be hella cheaper than giving them free internet & HBO & free dental & medical in prison.
Gulf

Sioux City, IA

#8 Apr 27, 2013
Tuffy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually SMCI in Leakesville has all types of custody. Minimum, Medium, and Max. The town of Leakesville and Green Co picks up inmates daily for projects and work details but they DON'T by them lunchs at local businesses they let them eat their lunches proaired by the prison. SMCI even has its own Fire Dept staffed by inmates that even help respond to fires in town. Anyway the George Co board of Supervisors COULD pick up inmates at the Leakesville prison for the same work crews that they had. But they sure as heck shouldnt be feeding them at the citizens expense when they have lunches prepaired for them from the prison!! Talk about ridiculous !!!!! And why would county workers need their lunc paid for them? Now you talk about a waste of tax payers money!
Because if the goldbrickers @ city hall in Lucedale can pass some of their payroll off onto the state then they can "reduce expenses" & pocket the difference & pad their salary instead of hiring somebody in Lucedale who doesn't have a job.

Location hidden

#9 Apr 27, 2013
Gulf wrote:
If these people are low-risk offenders why not just GIVE THEM A JOB WORKING FOR THE CITY. You know, an honest paycheck so they don't have to sell drugs or do crime to make a living.
If they're low-risk why not give them a chance. Gotta be hella cheaper than giving them free internet & HBO & free dental & medical in prison.
That is a good idea - just let them live at home and work for minimum wage or less to pay off their debt - if they violate the rules send their behind to prison for a full term. We hire people just to watch them work.
Gulf

Sioux City, IA

#10 Apr 27, 2013
cipsaw wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a good idea - just let them live at home and work for minimum wage or less to pay off their debt - if they violate the rules send their behind to prison for a full term. We hire people just to watch them work.
The politicians in this state & region have gotten used to using free labor from convicts to plug budget holes. The city council/mayors of towns like Lucedale/Wiggins/Leakesville, even down here on the coast do this sh*t. They get the state to basically pick up the tab of their public works & maintenance depts. They can then claim to voters they "cut expenses" which really means they shifted the cost to somebody else, in this case the state or the feds, whomever picks up the tab for the convicts.

Nothing in this life is free, somebody always pay. Unless we wanna go 3rd world & start doing slave labor & shit like that but personally I couldn't tolerate that. I'd prefer federal New Deal type employment projects. The problem is that in places like Lucedale -- how do you keep these people employed? There really isn't much of any work up there. Most of the people in that city are either retired or work on the coast or in Mobile. If you live up there you're pretty much stuck working for min. wage in Lucedale. That or farming, there really isn't much of anything else besides crime & govt employment.

Location hidden

#11 Apr 27, 2013
There is work, if people want it - it is too easy to sit on your behind and collect a government check. We do have to change- If you were 50 years or younger, I would give you 12 months to find a way to take care of yourself and welfare would be gone. This is not an issue just for Lucedale, it is every where. How can people have any self esteem knowing that some other person is paying for their food day after day.
Gulf

Sioux City, IA

#12 Apr 28, 2013
cipsaw wrote:
There is work, if people want it - it is too easy to sit on your behind and collect a government check. We do have to change- If you were 50 years or younger, I would give you 12 months to find a way to take care of yourself and welfare would be gone. This is not an issue just for Lucedale, it is every where. How can people have any self esteem knowing that some other person is paying for their food day after day.
Call me a cynical a$$hole but does it really matter any more? I mean do you even have an idea what the govt is doing? They're printing up about a trillion dollars a year. What they do is -- the central bank(Fed) prints money & then "buys" US Treasury bonds from the Treasury Dept. In other words they print money & move money around to make it look like it was earned honestly, when it obviously wasn't.

And back in 08 I had to quit a job in Biloxi because gas went up to 4 dollars a gallon. The pay for was less than 7 dollars an hour @ the time(was a second job, did it for spare cash) & I only worked there one day a week but the price of gas went so high it quite literally wasn't even worth going into work for. I would have been "paying to work" -- meaning paying more eating dinner/getting to & from work than from working.

That's the issue. Everything has gone up in cost. If wages would rise & gas prices drop more people would "work" an honest job but too honest its just not worth doing.

Location hidden

#13 Apr 29, 2013
Well "Gulf"it matters to me - I would have very low self esteem living off of someone else. Pride is a very important asset to have in my opinion.
Gulf

Sioux City, IA

#14 Apr 30, 2013
cipsaw wrote:
Well "Gulf"it matters to me - I would have very low self esteem living off of someone else. Pride is a very important asset to have in my opinion.
I understand what you're saying in theory but I just don't understand the logic.

Everybody knows the govt is lying thru its teeth about inflation & unemployment(both are much much higher than what they are putting on) so I just don't understand what the point is.

The govt is giving free welfare to illegal aliens. I hate to sound like a cynical bastard who's "given up" but I think its time to get real. If you don't take advantage of the programs your entitled too -- you're just being a sucker & the money's going to somebody else who doesn't necessarily deserve it.

As for "working" for your money -- chances are you probably work for the govt in one way or the other. Ingalls is a massive employment project courtesy of the Defense Dept.

All the people who "work" there work for the govt though they want to make believe they work for a private company. Same if you work in health care. There aren't too many industries left that pay a living wage that aren't somehow connected to govt employment of some kind.

You're really spinning your wheels. But if you want to make believe your money is worth the same now as it was 30 years ago go ahead man.

I hate to sound terrible but I really don't think there will be much of any value to the dollar, period in another decade or 2. The Federal Reserve is gonna be printing buko bucks of monopoly money.

Where's the money going to come from to pay for the Baby Boomers' retirement? LOL, from those kids making 9 bucks an hour @ Walmart?

Yea that's not gonna happen my friend. There will be no one left to tax, they're gonna print the money up and/or borrow it & never repay it.

Buy gold & silver & hold long. There really isn't anything else you can do. But good luck to you either way.

Location hidden

#15 Apr 30, 2013
Gulf" I don't care as the old saying goes "if everyone else jumps off the cliff" - I have to feel good about me. I have never worked for the government, but if someone is working - good for them. I think welfare will go out the window in a few more years and those on it will be left sucking their thumb. I have worked all my life, lived within my means and so far life is good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucedale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cyber stalking, harassment or threat. Feb 20 Too_Funny 28
Leonard Double Dumb Cuckold Feb 20 Too_Funny 2
18 Million Dollar School Bond (Jun '12) Jan '17 Fragilepkg 24
Black teeth Jan '17 Too_Funny 27
Election Nov '16 trump 1
Kim Dailey (May '15) Nov '16 Too_Funny 47
Public showers Sep '16 Lindy 1

Lucedale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance