No

Yes

Maybe

Not sure

“John 3:16”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#1 Mar 8, 2013
http://news.msn.com/us/judge-towns-speeding-c...

An Ohio judge says Elmwood Place's automated speed-traffic cameras are "a scam" that cheats drivers out of $105 a pop.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#2 Mar 8, 2013
If they work correctly I suppose it ends up being a matter of cost. Cameras work 24 hours a day (no overtime, no complaining), a one time cost except for maintenance. They don't abuse their power, they won't taser you. They just get you for breaking the laws set forth by the state using them. Let's face it Big Brother is Watching and it's going to get worse.
Superiority complex

Lucedale, MS

#3 Mar 8, 2013
just -woderin wrote:
If they work correctly I suppose it ends up being a matter of cost. Cameras work 24 hours a day (no overtime, no complaining), a one time cost except for maintenance. They don't abuse their power, they won't taser you. They just get you for breaking the laws set forth by the state using them. Let's face it Big Brother is Watching and it's going to get worse.
Theoretically you would be correct. However, the companies that put these cameras up get a percentage of each violation that they catch and the municipality pays nothing to the company for allowing them to put them up (their payment is the percentage of the paid ticket). There have been many instances of companies offsetting their timing from the timing of the light to make more money. Food for thought.

Since: Jun 12

Lucedale

#4 Mar 8, 2013
Speeding and red light cameras are ridiculous. The camera cannot use judgement, in most cases it cannot even tell who was driving the vehicle. This lays an unfair burden of proof on the citizen rather than on the state. Im glad they are outlawed in MS and I hope it stays that way.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#5 Mar 9, 2013
I was unaware that these companies worked off of a commission installing these cameras. I wonder if all states operate that way? I do not think speeding cameras and red light cameras are ridiculous though, as johnomoran3 thinks. These cameras free up officers to solve other crimes instead of sitting up speed traps or setting at red lights waiting for someone that thinks they should be allowed to speed or not paying attention to what they are doing and run red lights. Judgement is not something you need for determining a person ran a red light or was speeding, either you did or you did not, seems pretty simple to me.
Superiority complex

Daphne, AL

#6 Mar 9, 2013
just -woderin wrote:
I was unaware that these companies worked off of a commission installing these cameras. I wonder if all states operate that way? I do not think speeding cameras and red light cameras are ridiculous though, as johnomoran3 thinks. These cameras free up officers to solve other crimes instead of sitting up speed traps or setting at red lights waiting for someone that thinks they should be allowed to speed or not paying attention to what they are doing and run red lights. Judgement is not something you need for determining a person ran a red light or was speeding, either you did or you did not, seems pretty simple to me.
The point is, if you didn't "do it" then you are still ticketed with traffic cameras that are offset so that companies reap more rewards for their offset. Administration of the cameras by the municipality would be the way to go instead of having a conflict of interest.
JustSaying

Meadville, MS

#7 Mar 11, 2013
I read once where someone conducted a test on how the cams worked. On a busy street the cam took a pic of the car behind the actual speeder. Just something to think about. And no, I do not remember the details nor do I remember what the position of the camera was.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucedale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mary Loper Case (May '12) Fri Wondering 41
Leonard Dunnam Jul 26 Pearly blacks 1
Arrons Jul 23 carmen 1
Lucedale Jul 22 just_do_it 2
black-panther-invasion Jul 13 just_do_it 1
Sonic Jul 8 Lnb 2
Building Permit (Jan '11) Jun '16 Ponderosa1969 10

Lucedale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance