Text a driver? You could be held resp...

Text a driver? You could be held responsible. (at least in N.J.)

Posted in the Lucedale Forum

“John 3:16”

Since: Sep 09

George County, MS. USA

#1 Aug 29, 2013
Is this taking texting liability too far?

New Jersey appeals court says someone who texts a motorist can potentially be liable if the sender knew the recipient would view the text while driving.
TRENTON, N.J. A New Jersey court says a person who knowingly sends a text to a driver can share liability if the driver causes an accident.
Tuesday's ruling came in the case of a couple severely injured when their motorcycle was hit by a teenager who was texting while driving in 2009.
The injured couple settled their lawsuit against the driver for $500,000. They also sued his girlfriend, who sent him a text message.
The appeals court says someone who texts a motorist can potentially be liable if the sender knew the recipient would view the text while driving.
Nevertheless, the judges upheld a lower court ruling that dismissed the lawsuit against the girlfriend. The court says the couple didn't show evidence that the girl knew her boyfriend was driving or would look at her text.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucedale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tonya and Leonard Dunnam 5 hr Disgusted in Geor... 1
body found Mon Brad 6
I'm a girl with a cranking fetish. Can anyone r... Mon Jessie 6
Debate: Gay Marriage - Lucedale, MS (Jul '10) Mon Hmmmm 199
What kind of jobs do sexual offenders have afte... (Sep '09) Jun 26 Tyrion Lanister 663
Poll Should confederate symbols be removed and flag ... Jun 26 Sportsman101 5
Terry Thompson (Feb '10) Jun 24 Sarah 29
More from around the web

Lucedale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Lucedale Mortgages