concerned citizen in george county ms

Posted in the Lucedale Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
HELP George County MS

Jackson, MS

#1 Aug 8, 2007
It's a sad time for George County when the Board of Supervisors fail to support the Sheriff and still get re-elected. The issue over the School Resource Officer is only a small example of none support. You should have been at the Political Rally in Central.
Two of the Board members made comments that lacked proper judgement, and it seems got re-elected.
Wake up George County, these folks are not out for your best interest only thiers.
Out of a $16 million dollar county budget the Sheriff gets $850,000 to patrol 480 square miles, has to get $500,000 in Federal/State grant money to pay the salary and equipment, including vehicles, for 3 of the deputies.
Then when he approaches the Board to increase the hourly rate for newly hired deputies to $11.00 per hour he is shot down. Basically laughed at by our long standing board members. I believe he has only one out of five that really cares about the safety and security of the County as a whole. The other four only look out for themselves.
We George Countians can afford to pay a "Rookie" deputy $12.00 to $13.00 per hour then once certified through the Mississippi Law Enforcment Academy increase the pay to $14.00 per hour.
We need to do something quick, its getting old training then losing deputies to other agencies that offer better pay and benefits.
Call your Supervisor

Write your Supervisor
355 Cox St
Lucedale, MS 39452
Lets pressure the Board to support the Sheriff in his efforts to protect us.
john doe

United States

#2 Feb 8, 2009
speaking of the sheriff dept and the police dept we would not have the drugs in this county if we had cops that had balls to do something!!!! and why pay these assholes to sit at the bbq shack or sit off somewheres and talk and not doing there job....i didnt vote for these people to go into office and it looks like the people of george county dont want anything cleaned up in george co. or want anybody in office that will do a better job to clean up the drugs here i know i have talk to 2 of them on the police force and i know what they tell me there not allowed to do there job and also they will not go into the grove where all the dope is they was told to leave the trash alone in there... is that what we want in george county?? looks that way and so maybe we need our sheriff dept and police dept doing a better job besides running after people who ony pointed a finger at someone or looked at someone this is this stupid cops we have in george co and how do i know all the wrong these dept are doing cause i have worked for the FBI in jackson so i know whats goes on here so maybe they will read this and make up some shit on me for saying this seems like mr george co cant handle the truth!!!!
BEEN THERE DONE THAT

Jackson, MS

#3 Feb 8, 2009
LOOK MR. JOHN DOE, IF YOU WERE AN EMPLOYEE OF THE F.B.I., YOU WOULD HAVE BETTER GRAMMAR. BEING A JANITOR IN THE BUILDING DOESN'T QUALIFY.
EVERYONE KNOWS THERE IS A PROBLEM, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU REPORTED TO THE SHERIFFS OFFICE OR POLICE DEPARTMENT WHERE THE DOPE IS? THE POLICE CAN NOT VIOLATE EVERYONES RIGHTS TO GET DOPE. THEY ALSO HAVE TO ANSWER CALLS FOR SERVICE, HELLO "PUBLIC SERVANT". THE TRASH HAVE RIGHTS TOO. MAYBE YOU CAN WRITE TO THE CONGRESSMEN AND WOMEN AND SEE IF THEY WOULD ERASE THAT PART OF THE CONSTITUTION SO THE COPS CAN GET ALL THE BAD GUYS. SPEAKING OF HAVING BALLS, YOU STAND IN FRONT OF 50 OR 60 PEOPLE WHO WANT NOTHING MORE THAN TO KICK YOUR ASS FOR WEARING THE UNIFORM AND SEE IF YOU HAVE ANY BALLS. THE SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT DOES IT CONSTANTLY, ALL THE WHILE THEY ONLY MAKE $11.00 AN HOUR. PLEASE MAKE ANOTHER UNEDUCATED RANT ON HERE, I ENJOY THIS. PICKING ON THE RETARDED IS ALWAYS FUN!
BEEN THERE DONE THAT ALSO

Jackson, MS

#4 Feb 8, 2009
QUIT CRYING ABOUT THE COPS IN GEORGE COUNTY. UNTIL YOU'VE DONE IT YOURSELF. OF COURSE THERE IS A DRUG PROBLEM HERE. DO YOU THINK THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED IN A HALF HOUR WITH COMMERCIALS LIKE CSI. IT ISNT. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU MADE A TRAFFIC STOP AND LOOKED FOR DOPE? YOU THINK PEOPLE JUST HAND IT OVER AND ADMIT EVERYTHING, COPS KNOW WHERE THE DOPE IS BUT PEOPLE HAVE RIGHTS. PROBABLE CAUSE MR JOHN DOE YOU EVER HEARD OF IT, I ASSURE YOU THE DOPERS HAVE, THEY KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND THE LAW. DOPE IS ONLY A FRACTION OF WHAT COPS DO, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU GAVE CPR TO A DYING PERSON OF THE SAME SEX. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DEALT WITH A DRUNK WITH A GUN BEATING UP HIS FAMILY. BALLS ARE YOU KIDDING ME. WHERE'S YOUR APPLICATION TO BE A COP FOR $11.00 AN HOUR IN THIS COUNTY. PEOPLE WANT THE COPS TO SOLVE PROBLEMS THAT TOOK THESE PEOPLE YEARS TO CREATE. AND THEY WANT IT DONE IN HALF AN HOUR WITH COMMERCIALS. FEED US SOME MORE CRAP ABOUT YOUR F.B.I CONNECTIONS , YOU'D KNOW JUST HOW HARD IT IS FOR THEM. MAKING DECISIONS THAT AFFECT WHO THEIR DEALING WITH THEIR FAMILYS AND CHILDREN. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU HAD TO DEAL WITH A CHILD MOLESTER THAT WANTS TO REPORT BEING HARRASED. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID ANYTHING THAT EVEN ATTEMPTED TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE, GO PUT ON A UNIFORM AND FACE DOWN OVERWHELMING NUMBERS THAT HATE YOU WITH NO SUPPORT FROM THE PEOPLE IN CHARGE FOR $11.00 AN HOUR AND THEN STAND BY YOUR "COPS HAVE NO BALLS" CRAP, YOU GO CHASE DOWN A MAN WITH A GUN IN THE WOODS BY YOURSELF THAT SAYS HE AINT GOING BACK TO PRISON. YOU DEAL WITH A PUBLIC THAT DOESNT WANT YOU AND LIES TO YOU CONSTANTLY , THEY WANT THE LAW ENFORCED JUST NOT ON THEM. THE HARD TRUTH? YOU DONT KNOW THE HARD TRUTH! YOU TELL CHILDREN YOUR TAKING THEIR PARENTS AWAY FOR DOPE, SEE IF THE KIDS DONT HATE COPS, YOU GO THROUGH ALL THAT AND TAKE IT TO COURT AND SEE IT GET SHOT DOWN BY THE JUDGE BECAUSE OF WHO THE PERSON KNOWS OR HOW MUCH MONEY THEY HAVE AND SEE IF YOU STILL WANT TO DO THEIR JOB, YOU HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE TRUTH! THE TRUTH IS UGLY AND COMPLICATED, COPS ARE NOT PERFECT, NEITHER IS THE PUBLIC. IT'S AN ART TO BEING A GOOD COP. NOT ALL OF THEM ARE, BUT BEFORE YOU THROW THEM ALL IN THE SAME CATEGORY OF BEING BALLLESS GO BE ONE.
m442sk433w

White House, TN

#5 Feb 8, 2009
Well said Been There!

As for John Doe, why don't you do exactly what the original poster said and gripe to your elected officials? They're the ones who control what really happens! Vote them out of office! It all comes down to politics, and George County if full of it. The street cops want to clean things up, but they're constrained by the powers that be.

And John Doe, go ride with Lucedale PD's night shift next New Year's Eve and see if your butt ain't suckin' wind! It's easy to talk down about them when you are safe inside your home, but the story is much different when you're on the receiving end of gunfire!

It's civilian law enforcement, not a free-fire zone! Cops have to be concerned where every bullet goes, whether they can be sued for doing something, or not doing something, and all of this for people who called them for help and then scold them for showing up!
WTF

United States

#6 Feb 10, 2009
lol, good job! that comment about retarded people was great! my guess is "john doe" has ran into three people who really know how police work is ran. john doe, why can't a police officer stop for food or stop and speak to his or her partner? do you get a lunch break at your janitor job? do you not know that "human intelligence" is a great way to find out what is going on in the neighborhoods? you are one of the "retarded" people of this county that makes life difficult for everyone. the justice court judges of this county are a major problem. regardless of how much evidence that is put in front of them, they are blinded by friendship. i have seen judge cedric howell dimiss cases because the defendant is a friend, or he has known them for all his life! WTF does that have to do with justice? before you blame the police of this county, look at which court they have to bring the accused in front of. there is one particular sheriffs deputy that can not win a case in front of either justice court judge, they do NOT like him, so they won't even listen to the evidence put in front of them. i have sat in the courtroom and seen it first hand. that deputy, and a few others, works hard his entire shift (12 hours) looking for "bad guys". both of them closed minded judges were voted into office by people like you! the police of this county should be a little discouraged, i would. if i was a cop in the county, i would ask for a judicial review. hey "john doe", you should know that the FBI will investigate these jokes they call justice court judges! there is plenty of judges in federal prison for doing the wrong thing...
WTF

United States

#7 Feb 10, 2009
i forgot something... how about the MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER AND THE PART OWNER OF THE 4 MILE TRUCK STOP who were caught BUTT NAKED, HAVING SEX at the 4 mile truck stop right next to the building? never seen that one in the court room. thank you corrupt judges.. minimum fines and a little extra money silenced the police on that one.. these two should have to register as sex offenders for the rest of their lives, but they are friends of the judge.
The Judges Judge

United States

#8 Feb 10, 2009
It is already well known, but thank you for the information. We have been waiting for someone to be able to give direct information about these two Justice Court Judges. I will contact all the posting parties, and get more of the information that you are willing to give us.
m442sk433w

White House, TN

#9 Feb 10, 2009
To be fair, one has to understand that no formal knowledge of law is required to be a Justice Court judge; you just have to be the most popular candidate. A new J.C. judge takes a few basic classes, and that's it! It's up to him/her to study the law and case history. I would guess most rookie cops get more formal training in the law than the judges do. Even our municipal judge in Lucedale is at least a practicing attorney.(Although that opens a whole new can of worms!)

I've overheard many of the local cops talking about how every time they make a good case, it either gets shot down by judges and attorneys making back-room deals, or passed over, or continued into oblivion.

Not to mention when they arrest one of the "good ol' boys" they get "counseled" on why it's not a good idea to be so aggressive. After a while, the really good cops either go to more supportive agencies, or lose faith in the system and stop trying. Meanwhile, the ones who play the political game and put the "party line" ahead of public safety and justice continue to be groomed into leadership positions by their administration.

John Doe, you're right about people needing some balls! But it ain't the lowly patrol guys...it's the senior leaders and their superiors--i.e., the city aldermen and county supervisors.

Again, the original poster had it right. Until the voters in this county elect representatives with some backbone, nothing will change and the street cops will have to continue doing the best they can with the sad state of affairs they work in.
m442sk433w

White House, TN

#10 Feb 10, 2009
Oh, and you mention dope...Well, we all know there is a growing drug problem in Lucedale and George County. At least Sheriff Welford is willing to come out and publicly admit the county has a drug problem. The city of Lucedale can't even do that!

I recall several recent drug busts (whether by county or city authorities) that ranged from a dozen crackrocks to pounds of marijuana, within the city. Were any of those ever publicized? NO! Compare that to how many times the sheriff has reported (via the George County Times) when his deputies made felony busts in unincorporated areas of the county. The Mayor and City Hall refuse to allow such drug busts to be made public, because it might taint the perfect picture they have painted for non-residents who are considering moving here. So, in effect, our own leaders refuse to admit there is even a problem!

Now, there is one narcotics investigator for the entire county...one person for almost 500 square miles! One guy to do the surveillance, investigation, paperwork, the actual operation, and give court testimony. How effective can he possibly be by himself? He should be given credit that anything gets done!

The city has no narcotics officers. The only one they had left to go to a better paying, less stressful job in a neighboring area. Then, the two patrol cops who were pulling in a ton of drug arrests got "reassigned" to another shift because "they needed to be watched more carefully." In other words, they pissed off too many people in the drug-infested areas of the city, and they were getting too many [unfounded] complaints.

As it is, MBN already handles all of Lucedale's drug cases after the arrest. And again, one guy is responsible for handling all those cases, in addition to duties in several other counties in SE Mississippi. Can you say overloaded?

Every time you watch Dallas SWAT, or DEA, or COPS on TV, and they're kicking in the door on a drug den, you can forget that happening here. It takes time and manpower to obtain a search warrant, and the typical street cop faces an endless gauntlet of obstacles preventing him/her from getting this warrant. The boots on the ground know where the drugs are at and who's dealing them, but the endless red tape holds them back.
hahaha

United States

#11 Feb 13, 2009
question for the george county supervisors, with everything that happened for the last few months did ANY of you think, hey maybe we can increase the sheriffs department funding just a little. maybe so ALL of the patrol cars can get cameras in them. that would have prevented alot of the STUPID in the community. maybe they can increase funding so the sheriffs department can get a few more officers. this is not "MAYBERRY". the old ways of doing things do not work anymore. county supervisors you can not get a new truck every year and not be noticed. every one of you should be removed from office. young people of this county, run for county supervisor next election. GEORGE COUNTY LAW ENFORCEMENT, keep chugging along guys. you are all doing great, a little more funding could help you out immensely! with departments that have the same amount of land to cover, you have ALOT less support, but you keep your head above the waterline and you keep us safe. having more officers could help, but all of the county supervisors might need another new truck this year.
hahaha

United States

#12 Feb 13, 2009
WE NEED TO GET THE JUSTICE COURT JUDGES IMPEACHED! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! you judges think you can do anything you want to? and why can't that one deputy get a conviction? is it because he is actually working and getting the judges friends? is that the sheriffs deputy that gets all of the DUI's off the county roadways? i heard about that, didn't that deputy go to a school just for DUI arrests? if so, that is sad. another "MAYBERRY" action by the elected population of george county. again, young people of this county, you need to run for this position too. these old guys just don't get it.
Whatever

Pinola, MS

#13 Feb 13, 2009
Question: with the growing drug problem in the teen population, why will the school officials and their "police officers" not let the sherrif's dept investigate or take their drug dog on school property when there is a complaint? Do they condone drugs in the school? Are these officers at the school certified?
m442sk433w

United States

#14 Feb 13, 2009
Whatever, a couple answers: No, not all of the School Resource Officers have been through a state-certified training program. However, I would dare say that lack of official "certification" prevents them from doing their jobs. One of them was an excellent patrol cop in Lucedale before he took the SRO job; he made many a drug case from the Grove, and was listless in court.

On the issue of allowing PePe into the schools, do you really think the school leaders want more of their "star [insert sport here] players" brought up on drug charges?(Rhetorical question there, BTW.) Do you really think these spineless folks can take any more pounding by minority rights groups like NAACP when they make dozens of arrests and take away so many families' "meal tickets"? Please, the school board doesn't even have enough backbone to enforce their own cell-phone policy!
Whatever

Pinola, MS

#15 Feb 13, 2009
That is a sad sad situation. And to your reference it is also a sad situation. It would be so much better if the people on the blogs would realize that they are not csi, were not there, and have no clue who Deputy Sullivan is, much less they have never walked in his shoes. They are taking everything that is said and twisting it to meet their own needs. Such as the word self-inflicted. It can mean suicide or accidental. No one but the media has used the term suicide. The SO only used self-inflicted and said they were not sure if it was suicide or accident. George County should be glad they have a deputy like Sullivan. All he saw that morning was a kid getting out of his truck and thought he was trying to get home to his sick mom but he had to do his job and at least run his license. Looks to me like most of the county do not want decent officers.
Stevie

United States

#16 Feb 14, 2009
I have to agree with the earlier posts that mention the fact that George County officers make about 11.00 an hour; SMH. Damn. I have put myself through college and I make way more than that with an associates degree sitting on my ass everyday. I probably wouldn't even consider being an officer of the law in Lucedale if this is what the going pay rate is for rookies. Maybe if there was more money involved then a better effort/job will be made by the police. To those that think they are doing a shitty job or even those that think they do well, I think I wouldn't care about risking my life and safety for that kind of money. I also feel the same way about the pay scale for teachers.
I too am from Lucedale. Just so happens I am a black woman. I don't care who you are or what you do. Some people just don't like to see someone doing better than they are doing. I suggest that people stop worrying so much about everyone else, so he or she can take the time to focus on how to make his or her own life better. Excuses are like assholes.....everyone has one. Take ownership of one's life and focus on that instead of the lives of others.....it might take so much pressure off of life and it might just make you feel better too.
been there done that also

Jackson, MS

#17 Feb 16, 2009
wtf the police werent silenced with anything. extra money , not. screw you if you think deputies would take hush money. all that crap was done at justice court. besides none was offered they know better. and just who would they tell what happened ? what the judges did was technically legal, just very shady and reserved for friends with money. deputies bust their asses all the time to catch people. after that it out of their hands.
WTF

United States

#18 Feb 24, 2009
been there done that also wrote:
wtf the police werent silenced with anything. extra money , not. screw you if you think deputies would take hush money. all that crap was done at justice court. besides none was offered they know better. and just who would they tell what happened ? what the judges did was technically legal, just very shady and reserved for friends with money. deputies bust their asses all the time to catch people. after that it out of their hands.
YOU READ TOO MUCH INTO WHAT I WAS SAYING. THE JUDGE SILENCED THE POLICE. THESE TWO PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE TO REGISTER AS SEX OFFENDERS FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES, REGARDLESS OF WHO THEY KNOW OR HOW MUCH MONEY THEY HAVE.
WTF

United States

#19 Feb 24, 2009
Stevie wrote:
I have to agree with the earlier posts that mention the fact that George County officers make about 11.00 an hour; SMH. Damn. I have put myself through college and I make way more than that with an associates degree sitting on my ass everyday. I probably wouldn't even consider being an officer of the law in Lucedale if this is what the going pay rate is for rookies. Maybe if there was more money involved then a better effort/job will be made by the police. To those that think they are doing a shitty job or even those that think they do well, I think I wouldn't care about risking my life and safety for that kind of money. I also feel the same way about the pay scale for teachers.
I too am from Lucedale. Just so happens I am a black woman. I don't care who you are or what you do. Some people just don't like to see someone doing better than they are doing. I suggest that people stop worrying so much about everyone else, so he or she can take the time to focus on how to make his or her own life better. Excuses are like assholes.....everyone has one. Take ownership of one's life and focus on that instead of the lives of others.....it might take so much pressure off of life and it might just make you feel better too.
stevie, to alot of the officers it is not about the pay. it is about trying to make the world a little better one shift at a time. no one person can do everything, but these guys and gals work together pretty good.
m442sk433w

United States

#20 Feb 24, 2009
WTF, you're on the right track. A lot of the people in law enforcement in George County have left better paying jobs for the intangible rewards of helping others. They could be doing other things and making a lot more money, but they sacrifice in order to serve their fellow citizens.

Some of them struggle just to pay their bills, and others work second jobs to support their families. But most wouldn't have it any other way. It's one of those things that until you do it, you can't understand why they do it.

And what Been There Also said is true. The officers bust their butts day in, day out, to try to keep this a safe and orderly place. But once the arrest is made, it's out of their hands. As long as a judge doesn't do something that's outright illegal, they're in the clear. Sad but true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucedale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Leonard Double Dumb Cuckold 19 hr LUCIFER-SATAN 3
Cyber stalking, harassment or threat. Feb 20 Too_Funny 28
18 Million Dollar School Bond (Jun '12) Jan '17 Fragilepkg 24
Black teeth Jan '17 Too_Funny 27
Election Nov '16 trump 1
Kim Dailey (May '15) Nov '16 Too_Funny 47
Public showers Sep '16 Lindy 1

Lucedale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance