Teachers being moved
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rumors

Hattiesburg, MS

#1 May 13, 2013
Rumor has it that some half dozen teachers and a principal are being moved because of low test scores. Has anyone heard this rumor? Why would contracts not be renewed, instead of just moving the problem from school to school.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#2 May 13, 2013
I wouldnt doubt it, We lost an awesome Principle because she was able to raise test scores. It's about the right time of year for these changes to go into effect.

“John 3:16”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#3 May 13, 2013
curious

Hattiesburg, MS

#4 May 13, 2013
what principal?

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#5 May 13, 2013
The_SCOOP wrote:
Well it is a dumb practice then Scoop. If you try out for cheerleader and can't cut a flip, you don't make it. Do you see any folks in wheel chairs playing football - no. The reason being is called "qualified" - if you are an inferior teacher then don't renew your contract. We need to get tough on our standards. You can move your old worn out chair around all day, but at the end of the day, it is still an old worn out chair. This is just another way of being a good business manager - cut the loss, and a teacher that has to be moved around is a loss. I certainly hope we are smarter than doing something like this, but we will find out soon.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#6 May 13, 2013
I see no sense in keeping teachers that are a problem instead of a help. If you keep moving teachers to different schools because of their lack of ability, if I were the Principal and had to take these people I would throw an Oklahoma Hobo Fit. just does not make any GOOD management sense.

Location hidden

#7 May 13, 2013
just -woderin wrote:
I see no sense in keeping teachers that are a problem instead of a help. If you keep moving teachers to different schools because of their lack of ability, if I were the Principal and had to take these people I would throw an Oklahoma Hobo Fit. just does not make any GOOD management sense.
I would leave them right where they are on a one year probation period, scores better improve or you are gone. Do not subject another school and another group of kids to a bad education. What ever that Hobo Fit is, some parents need to learn how to throw those if their child gets a dud teacher. Hopefully this is only a rumor, time will tell.

“John 3:16”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#8 May 31, 2013
Yet how do we really know that its the teacher and not the student?

Location hidden

#9 May 31, 2013
The_SCOOP wrote:
Yet how do we really know that its the teacher and not the student?
A general population of students would be the same in all the schools - the teacher makes the difference. You can look at a bell curve and you have the below average - average - above average, how well they are taught is how well they score on the test.
Pat

Valdosta, GA

#10 May 31, 2013
cipsaw wrote:
<quoted text>
A general population of students would be the same in all the schools - the teacher makes the difference. You can look at a bell curve and you have the below average - average - above average, how well they are taught is how well they score on the test.
You dont have a clue and the more you type the more you prove it! Do you think the quality of student is the same in agricola as in benndale? Roughly the quality of student is directly proportional to the value of the home they live in.

Oh and if you were the school "business manager" you would run off all the poor teachers. Who would you hire in their place? You cant leave the class without a teacher while you look for a Bill Gates to teach. Maybe you could hire all the best teachers from Ocean Springs? No thats not possible because you dont want to pay more in taxes than you did in 1990. Now what do you do "business manager" with 80 pct of the teachers you need to fill all the holes? Lets just turn them loss on recess until you can find some great teachers to take a 30 pct pay cut with a 100 pct increase in commute time. Please enlighten us with your words of wisdom from your dank dwelling of utopia!

Location hidden

#11 May 31, 2013
Wow, what a strange scenario you just dreamed up. Why would this happen here in Lucedale? I do not remember a big demand or bidding war for local teachers. I think many of them are happy to have a job and would be willing to keep it, if they were capable of doing what the administration asked. That is a lot of the problem everywhere today, the attitude of we can't do it instead of let's fix it. Just my opinion.

Location hidden

#13 Jun 1, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
You dont have a clue and the more you type the more you prove it! Do you think the quality of student is the same in agricola as in benndale? Roughly the quality of student is directly proportional to the value of the home they live in.
Oh and if you were the school "business manager" you would run off all the poor teachers. Who would you hire in their place? You cant leave the class without a teacher while you look for a Bill Gates to teach. Maybe you could hire all the best teachers from Ocean Springs? No thats not possible because you dont want to pay more in taxes than you did in 1990. Now what do you do "business manager" with 80 pct of the teachers you need to fill all the holes? Lets just turn them loss on recess until you can find some great teachers to take a 30 pct pay cut with a 100 pct increase in commute time. Please enlighten us with your words of wisdom from your dank dwelling of utopia!
Let's just move everyone from Benndale to Agricola so they will be smarter. Apparently you are an unhappy GC teacher - I still say compared to the general population teachers do not make a bad salary and it is their choice. Kids in each area of this county are all the same IQ wise - I do have a little clue about this - you need to do a little reading on the bell curve. If a teacher is not doing a good job, we should let them go period and hire someone who can - Maybe we have hired someone from Benndale now does this sound crazy or what -

Location hidden

#14 Jun 1, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
The more I think of your post, I certainly hope you are not a teacher. You apparently look down your nose at people who are less fortunate than you. I would not want my child in a class where their learning ability was based on their house size. I just happen to know an Agricola child that lives in the poorest of circumstances, but makes all "A's" in school. If anyone is teaching for any reason other than to have a real positive impact on children, they should not be there.. It never has been a high paying job, but has great benefits especially if you are a mom. In one breath we have teachers on here saying they only teach because they want to help kids and then the next breath is a gripe - well which is it. Shame on you if a child from Benndale reads or hears about your post.
gc school supporter

Hattiesburg, MS

#15 Jun 1, 2013
Pat please do not waste your time responding to or even worrying about the negative things people say about teachers and schools on here. They know nothing about education today. Even if they have had kids come through the system, they still do not understand. Only someone who teaches understands. Read it, breath in, breath out, and move on.

Location hidden

#16 Jun 1, 2013
gc school supporter wrote:
Pat please do not waste your time responding to or even worrying about the negative things people say about teachers and schools on here. They know nothing about education today. Even if they have had kids come through the system, they still do not understand. Only someone who teaches understands. Read it, breath in, breath out, and move on.
I think you just explained some of the schools problems. "Only someone who teaches understands. Read it, breath in, breath out, and move on." This is probably how you would, or do handle your class room, which is scarier than anything I have read on this page!!! True colors are showing.
granny

Hattiesburg, MS

#18 Jun 1, 2013
move some of them out the door

Location hidden

#19 Jun 1, 2013
just -woderin wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you just explained some of the schools problems. "Only someone who teaches understands. Read it, breath in, breath out, and move on." This is probably how you would, or do handle your class room, which is scarier than anything I have read on this page!!! True colors are showing.
I think you are so right - too bad we don't know which school these folks teach at.

Location hidden

#20 Jun 1, 2013
I hope someone with this kind of attitude is not teaching in a school, but if they are it would seem to explain a lot of things.

Location hidden

#21 Jun 1, 2013
granny wrote:
move some of them out the door
You know Granny - that is what is done in private jobs. If you can't cut it, you are gone.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#22 Jun 2, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
How arrogant and completely ignorant of you to compare students of a different community and judge them based on the families financial status. You are completely wrong in the statement that " The quality of a student is dfirectly proportinal to the value of the home they live in. I have seen students that come from a rented section 8 home rise and attend college and advance into awesome careers. Also, It is the job of a teacher to make sure that the student receives quality education regardless of race , Financial status, anything. A good teacher can have a major impact on a student that gets no help from home. If you are a teacher you should be terminated for making a public post such as that. Entirely too many teachers have gotten comfortable in the fact that chances are they won't be terminated and are there for the benefits. Helping your child at home does give them an advantage in the ever changing school system. I understand that teachers hands are tied with the new common core curriculum but with help from dedicated teachers and updated technology, The test scores at every school in George County should raise. To all of you teachers that have attitudes such as Pat's and the poster that told Pat to read and move on,Take that attitude and go teach in Ocean Springs or somewhere because I personally don't want my child learning anything that you think you may have to teach.To the dedicated teachers that do apply themselves to even uder privilaged children, Thank you very much for the hard work and dedication, Please continue to be a helpfull product in an unorganized, Disfunctional system.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucedale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Couple expecting baby murdered (Jan '08) Sat Juju 20
New on Facebook~Lucedale For Sale and Wanted (Jun '11) Nov '17 Jane 33
Nephew Missing (Mar '13) Oct '17 the_truth_will_co... 185
looking for old friends (Aug '16) Oct '17 his messenger 8
News Child found dead on Lucedale highway Sep '17 soso 3
News William Darden, Idice Darden face meth-related ... (Jun '11) Jul '17 Kaleigh Darden 144
Murder (Apr '17) Jul '17 Gennann3958 2

Lucedale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lucedale Mortgages