First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#61 May 19, 2013
Maroon09 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard.
That is exactly what people said about going to the moon - or about air planes - or cars - computers - tvs. Most of us don't have the mind for these kind of dreams, but those that do will achieve it. There will be no newspapers, movie theatres, post offices, magazines and they say tv will be gone too, on down the road. Once we figure out gravity the possibilities are beyond our thoughts. I sure hope I can hang around to see some of that. Check out how many states already have on line schooling, it is here now - I know kids that are home schooled on line every school day. It will just take some time and fine tuning to fully implement it.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#62 May 19, 2013
Books, newspapers, and the post office just to name afew are already feeling the crunch from the internet. Do you think it is any more ridiculous than kids going to school for 12 years and only having a graduation level of 6.4 out of 10, when you put it in perspective something seems to be way more wrong than just buildings.
hmmmmmm

Lucedale, MS

#63 May 19, 2013
This would lead to less diplomas.... Self discipline isn't exactly a strong suit for teens. Ever try to go to school online?

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#64 May 19, 2013
just -woderin wrote:
Books, newspapers, and the post office just to name afew are already feeling the crunch from the internet. Do you think it is any more ridiculous than kids going to school for 12 years and only having a graduation level of 6.4 out of 10, when you put it in perspective something seems to be way more wrong than just buildings.
If you think Common Core, just think "Common Teacher" - if every child had the exact same teacher for a subject and only the very best that makes more sense. It can be an inter active program too, there can be teachers working on line for questions (probably from India lol) The system is too complicated and too expensive and is only getting worse. Depending on the State it is from 6,000 to 16,000 per student to run a school. We have counties in this State with a graduation rate of 95%, I wonder if we brought their administrators to this county would we see a difference.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#65 May 19, 2013
cipsaw wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think Common Core, just think "Common Teacher" - if every child had the exact same teacher for a subject and only the very best that makes more sense. It can be an inter active program too, there can be teachers working on line for questions (probably from India lol) The system is too complicated and too expensive and is only getting worse. Depending on the State it is from 6,000 to 16,000 per student to run a school. We have counties in this State with a graduation rate of 95%, I wonder if we brought their administrators to this county would we see a difference.
That is an interesting question, they need to take the administrators of schools that are suffering a little (that is as polite as I can put it) and have an exchange program for a couple of weeks out of the year.
Maroon09

Sumrall, MS

#66 May 20, 2013
cipsaw wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think Common Core, just think "Common Teacher" - if every child had the exact same teacher for a subject and only the very best that makes more sense. It can be an inter active program too, there can be teachers working on line for questions (probably from India lol) The system is too complicated and too expensive and is only getting worse. Depending on the State it is from 6,000 to 16,000 per student to run a school. We have counties in this State with a graduation rate of 95%, I wonder if we brought their administrators to this county would we see a difference.
Administration would not cause that much change. It would take the mind set of the community and parents. Look at Ocean Springs school district for example. The parents there do not support working shut downs or getting a GED, parents there have college degrees themselves and want their children to have one. If we had the same attitudes then we would have a higher graduation rate. We have parents that bring their kid to school at 2:00 so they can run errands in town. When some in our county stop putting down the schools, and instead backing them and the teachers then our drop out rate will go down drastically. And I am talking in general, not about the vote tomorrow.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#67 May 20, 2013
Maroon09 wrote:
<quoted text>
Administration would not cause that much change. It would take the mind set of the community and parents. Look at Ocean Springs school district for example. The parents there do not support working shut downs or getting a GED, parents there have college degrees themselves and want their children to have one. If we had the same attitudes then we would have a higher graduation rate. We have parents that bring their kid to school at 2:00 so they can run errands in town. When some in our county stop putting down the schools, and instead backing them and the teachers then our drop out rate will go down drastically. And I am talking in general, not about the vote tomorrow.
I know gobs of folks in this county that have college degrees, including my family. What is wrong with working a shut down, it is a job and I think they pay pretty good money. When my children were young, we never said "if you finish school" or "If you go to college", it was a given fact in our house that it was expected. However, if you are 17 years old and in the 8th grade, a GED is your best option in my opinion. I have always supported the teachers and the school, no mom or dad ever worked harder in the PTA than we did, we raised a large amount of money each year to buy our children's school much needed items. If I were having a conference, I would get out my big pad and write down a few things.

1.Can we make parents bring their kids to school and get interested?

2.What percentage of our students is this?

3.In what grade do we see the largest number of drops out?
4.Can we ID why they are dropping out?

5. What can we do differently?

Answer to 1. is not really, we would need some sort of inter active community program to reach out to these parents.

Answer to 4. Yes we can gather statistics and get a good grip on this one.

5. That is the big question - this one will take a lots of brain storming to figure out - but with good statistics and some intelligent people, it can be improved.

This is exactly what I would do, if I sat in the "big chair" in the administration building. Have a goal, get some people with proven leadership involved - figure out how to reach that goal and don't stop until it is reached.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#68 May 20, 2013
Maroon09 wrote:
<quoted text>
Administration would not cause that much change. It would take the mind set of the community and parents. Look at Ocean Springs school district for example. The parents there do not support working shut downs or getting a GED, parents there have college degrees themselves and want their children to have one. If we had the same attitudes then we would have a higher graduation rate. We have parents that bring their kid to school at 2:00 so they can run errands in town. When some in our county stop putting down the schools, and instead backing them and the teachers then our drop out rate will go down drastically. And I am talking in general, not about the vote tomorrow.
Look, I'm sorry but for you or any teachers to blame all of the citizens for your downfalls is bull crap. Take responsibility for problems in the school to start off with, teachers and the administration can get rid of problem children instead of complaining about them and if a legal problem pops up, I am sure the county will back the teachers and administration up. Crack the whip and get the school to become a place for learning instead of socializing. Make the rich parents hop just like you do the poor, treat all the same and get back to a learning institute instead of everything else. All of the bad results coming out of the school, can't be from buildings. Up north they had special school, small but efficient, to handle the big problem kids. That was there last chance, if they still kept acting up they were expelled, but if they got there act together they could be recommended for regular school again. I hope things work out, but I see a long way to travel with present attitudes.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#69 May 20, 2013
Thank you Woderin - We do need to crack the whip. Every child should be offered and encouraged to get an education, but when they and their parents become a problem to the rest of the community, then put them out of regular school. Buildings are not the problem, if so no one would have made it 50 years ago - that is just an excuse for not knowing what to do.
Maroon09

Sumrall, MS

#70 May 20, 2013
cipsaw wrote:
Thank you Woderin - We do need to crack the whip. Every child should be offered and encouraged to get an education, but when they and their parents become a problem to the rest of the community, then put them out of regular school. Buildings are not the problem, if so no one would have made it 50 years ago - that is just an excuse for not knowing what to do.
I never one time mentioned you. I never said you didn't have a college degree. So you and some others need to stop taking posts personally, normally when that happens people are feeling guilty about something. Shut downs do pay good money but for a short period of time, and what do people do when they get hurt working one, they use unemployment and get on disability (aka tax money). Why didn't you take your BIG PAD to the school board meeting and asked for yourself? You have no idea about the school system. There are laws that teachers and administrators have to follow, and if you think you could just do whatever then you would be fired. It is easy to judge from far away.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#71 May 20, 2013
Maroon09 wrote:
<quoted text>
I never one time mentioned you. I never said you didn't have a college degree. So you and some others need to stop taking posts personally, normally when that happens people are feeling guilty about something. Shut downs do pay good money but for a short period of time, and what do people do when they get hurt working one, they use unemployment and get on disability (aka tax money). Why didn't you take your BIG PAD to the school board meeting and asked for yourself? You have no idea about the school system. There are laws that teachers and administrators have to follow, and if you think you could just do whatever then you would be fired. It is easy to judge from far away.
I know about running a business and the school is a business -same rules should apply. I kind of take George County personally, because there are no better people on earth than right here. If you drive the garbage truck or if you are president of the bank you are a working person - everyone can't have big important jobs, whatever you think is important - if the bank president has a heart attack, he gets on disability too - it was started for the working man but has ended up being for the sorry man that does not want to work. There is nothing that will change my mind on this vote, I am voting against another special election and I think that is what many are upset about. It is using our money poorly, so why give them more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucedale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 Strikes and your "OUT!" 18 hr Suck_it_up 2
County supervisor beat four Larry Havard Mon Suck_it_up 5
help please!!! ( missing dog ) Mon Champ 1
I'm a girl with a cranking fetish. Can anyone r... Mar 29 Thedman627 3
Convict driving county truck Mar 29 Suck_it_up 9
Poll George County Sheriff candidates Mar 25 Suck_it_up 7
car dealer in town Mar 25 Theist 4
Lucedale Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lucedale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]