School Bond Issue
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ironman

Tchula, MS

#1 May 15, 2013
The GC school bond issue meeting was held on Monday, May 13, 2013. The meeting was open to the public. However, attendance was very low. Even though a great amount of people in the community have voiced their displeasure concerning the school bond issue, they didnít take the time to attend the meeting. The following information was presented:

1. The bond would be for $7 million ($3 million interest free +$4 million to repay with interest)
2. Asking for 2.68 mills @$127,000 each (approx.$440,000 payment for the 1st year, then goes down each year)
3. Payments made will be just like a home mortgage over a 20 year period (high interest/lowest principle payment on 1st payment, lowest interest/highest principle payment on last payment) Homeowners already understand this concept.
4. High estimate of 4% interest rate on the $4 million to repay with interest (donít know exact % amount until bonds are sold)
5. If GC keeps the current rates on the books (existing), it will cost much less than creating a new $ amount loan later (meaning, much higher taxes later for mandatory improvements)
6. Using facts and a high estimate of 4% interest rate, the total repayment of $7 million ($3 million interest free +$4 million with interest) over a 20 year period would be around $8.5 -$8.8 million-a good deal for those who understand loans
7. 3 major needs for which the $ would be used: TECHNOLOGY (GCSD is far behind other school districts/so out of date, Greene Co. donated their old computers to usÖtheir old ones were better than our newest ones!); EXPANSION (ex. GCHS was built for approx. 700 students; GCHS now enrolls approx. 1,200); SAFETY (no need for an explanation)
8. Anyone against the bond is welcome to come to any school and a principal(s) will show the needs of the school (some donít realize the actual needs)
9. GC Times rep. stated approx. 300 people read about the bond issue while 1,700 read about cutest baby (priorities of George Countians?)
10. GCSD annual budget from government does not generate any $ for new projects, except 16th section land (a passed bond would)
11. The last school bond was passed 20 years ago; it is common practice for a community to keep an existing amount on the books in order to keep rates low (most communities have education as a top priority)
12. GCSD will be at risk of being non-accredited in the near future if the bond fails, which would have a very negative affect on our kids, grandkids, etc.

My opinion: I will be voting YES because my little ones WILL receive a great education (somewhere). Iíd like for it to be in GC. Also, I consider myself very good at managing money (itís certainly paid off for me). I pay much more in property taxes than the average George CountianÖoddly the same reason some are voting NO. Keeping existing bond rates is very financially responsible, compared to allowing the rates to expire and later creating a new loan with new rates that would be much higher. And, that would happen if this bond doesnít pass during this time sensitive vote (that should clear up negativity on the timing of the vote).

Now, discuss the facts and/or criticize my opinions. Respectfully agree to disagree or be an internet tough guy. God Bless George County and OUR future. Iím out!

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#2 May 15, 2013
Thank you Ironman, I will still vote "No", but I will be all for giving the schools that 440,000 first year payment and every payment each year. Our schools will actually end up with between 8 million and 8.5 million doing it that way. It is common practice at our house not to borrow money. I know nothing about those mortgage rates because we saved money for a house. That has paid off for us. I just don't fall for the school scare tactics, I have heard them a hundred times. You have done a great job giving us a report and I am thankful we all have the right to vote and speak our mind.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#3 May 15, 2013
Ironman wrote:
The GC school bond issue meeting was held on Monday, May 13, 2013. The meeting was open to the public. However, attendance was very low. Even though a great amount of people in the community have voiced their displeasure concerning the school bond issue, they didnít take the time to attend the meeting. The following information was presented:
1. The bond would be for $7 million ($3 million interest free +$4 million to repay with interest)
2. Asking for 2.68 mills @$127,000 each (approx.$440,000 payment for the 1st year, then goes down each year)
3. Payments made will be just like a home mortgage over a 20 year period (high interest/lowest principle payment on 1st payment, lowest interest/highest principle payment on last payment) Homeowners already understand this concept.
4. High estimate of 4% interest rate on the $4 million to repay with interest (donít know exact % amount until bonds are sold)
5. If GC keeps the current rates on the books (existing), it will cost much less than creating a new $ amount loan later (meaning, much higher taxes later for mandatory improvements)
6. Using facts and a high estimate of 4% interest rate, the total repayment of $7 million ($3 million interest free +$4 million with interest) over a 20 year period would be around $8.5 -$8.8 million-a good deal for those who understand loans
7. 3 major needs for which the $ would be used: TECHNOLOGY (GCSD is far behind other school districts/so out of date, Greene Co. donated their old computers to usÖtheir old ones were better than our newest ones!); EXPANSION (ex. GCHS was built for approx. 700 students; GCHS now enrolls approx. 1,200); SAFETY (no need for an explanation)
8. Anyone against the bond is welcome to come to any school and a principal(s) will show the needs of the school (some donít realize the actual needs)
9. GC Times rep. stated approx. 300 people read about the bond issue while 1,700 read about cutest baby (priorities of George Countians?)
10. GCSD annual budget from government does not generate any $ for new projects, except 16th section land (a passed bond would)
11. The last school bond was passed 20 years ago; it is common practice for a community to keep an existing amount on the books in order to keep rates low (most communities have education as a top priority)
12. GCSD will be at risk of being non-accredited in the near future if the bond fails, which would have a very negative affect on our kids, grandkids, etc.
My opinion: I will be voting YES because my little ones WILL receive a great education (somewhere). Iíd like for it to be in GC. Also, I consider myself very good at managing money (itís certainly paid off for me). I pay much more in property taxes than the average George CountianÖoddly the same reason some are voting NO. Keeping existing bond rates is very financially responsible, compared to allowing the rates to expire and later creating a new loan with new rates that would be much higher. And, that would happen if this bond doesnít pass during this time sensitive vote (that should clear up negativity on the timing of the vote).
Now, discuss the facts and/or criticize my opinions. Respectfully agree to disagree or be an internet tough guy. God Bless George County and OUR future. Iím out!
Excellent article, Not sold on it, How does Gerorge county times know what was read and what wasn't?
Ironman

Hattiesburg, MS

#4 May 15, 2013
mentul_autocrat wrote:
<quoted text> Excellent article, Not sold on it, How does Gerorge county times know what was read and what wasn't?
I believe she was talking about online viewing??? I questioned that at first, also. Kind of like Super Bowl ratings, I guess. I still don't understand how ABC or ESPN know what households have their tv sets on their channel during certain sporting events.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#5 May 15, 2013
Ironman wrote:
<quoted text>I believe she was talking about online viewing??? I questioned that at first, also. Kind of like Super Bowl ratings, I guess. I still don't understand how ABC or ESPN know what households have their tv sets on their channel during certain sporting events.
I have wondered about that tv stuff myself. After reading the latest article in the paper today about lowering the grading levels but raising the standards that is a total wash out. I am going to give you a D but make it two levels harder to attain it, that one makes no sense to me. If we start off two levels harder in kindergarten, do we keep it two levels harder all thru school, or do we lower the level at some other point - this one is a mind boggler. You did do an excellent article.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#6 May 15, 2013
I see a list of needs and intentions, my question is not so much what they want to spend this money on, but what have they been spending their money on, if all of what you have mentioned has become an obsolete Learning Establishment. Then on top of that, this money is supposed to be increasing the ability for students to become better students, but in today's Gorge County Times it seems the administration wants to lower the grade level to 60% to pass, did they mention that at the meeting? My problem is I just do not believe that all of the problems with the present School System is going to be cured by present administration, no matter how much money you throw at them. I will vote NO. Sorry just can't justify spending $7,000,000.00 to drop passing grades to 60%
Ironman

Hattiesburg, MS

#7 May 15, 2013
just -woderin wrote:
I see a list of needs and intentions, my question is not so much what they want to spend this money on, but what have they been spending their money on, if all of what you have mentioned has become an obsolete Learning Establishment. Then on top of that, this money is supposed to be increasing the ability for students to become better students, but in today's Gorge County Times it seems the administration wants to lower the grade level to 60% to pass, did they mention that at the meeting? My problem is I just do not believe that all of the problems with the present School System is going to be cured by present administration, no matter how much money you throw at them. I will vote NO. Sorry just can't justify spending $7,000,000.00 to drop passing grades to 60%
Things aren't changed just for change. Actual data was used to support grade scales and their correlation to student success. That topic was mentioned at the board meeting, ALSO OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. The proposed change will be exactly the same scale used by certain successful nearby schools, including Biloxi High.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#8 May 15, 2013
What kind of data would be acceptable to justify the expecting of less from our children than they did 20 or 30 years ago, when all that they preach is the need for a great education in today's world??? I would think it would be a much more accredited school district if the teachers worked harder to bring the average of their students up. Speaking of data, I can show data that would show that a polished turd is more pleasing to the eye, but it is still just a turd. Data is only as good as the results you are trying to achieve by giving that data.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#9 May 15, 2013
Ironman wrote:
<quoted text>Things aren't changed just for change. Actual data was used to support grade scales and their correlation to student success. That topic was mentioned at the board meeting, ALSO OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. The proposed change will be exactly the same scale used by certain successful nearby schools, including Biloxi High.
Ironman just sit down and think about this grading change - try to explain it to someone, you can't because it is not logical. If little Johnny cannot pass 8th grade, we are going to fix it so he can make a passing grade if he scores 60 or above, but we are going to make the course harder for him to pass - is that logical thinking? Data can be made to fit the situation in many cases. Little Johnny needs a GED and get a job.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10 May 15, 2013
cipsaw wrote:
<quoted text>
I have wondered about that tv stuff myself. After reading the latest article in the paper today about lowering the grading levels but raising the standards that is a total wash out. I am going to give you a D but make it two levels harder to attain it, that one makes no sense to me. If we start off two levels harder in kindergarten, do we keep it two levels harder all thru school, or do we lower the level at some other point - this one is a mind boggler. You did do an excellent article.
I was told by a board member that hey had to laower the grading scales to keep up with students from Alabama and other States in the Scholorship dept. I not only dis agree with this, I still hold my children to the older grading scale. I do understand that the implementation of common core has made it a bit more difficult for children to adjust at first, I know my children are capable and they are grounded for any grade lower than a B on a progress report or report card.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#11 May 15, 2013
Ironman wrote:
<quoted text>I believe she was talking about online viewing??? I questioned that at first, also. Kind of like Super Bowl ratings, I guess. I still don't understand how ABC or ESPN know what households have their tv sets on their channel during certain sporting events.
O.K., I can understand that, The old neilson ratings used to be used to determine what was being watched, Using volunteer participants. I believe the new smart t.v.'s and the " analog boxes" play a role now.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#12 May 15, 2013
George County students were able to raise academic scores last year without the proposed upgrades. I stand stead fast in the process of education begins at home.
Ironman

Hattiesburg, MS

#13 May 15, 2013
just -woderin wrote:
What kind of data would be acceptable to justify the expecting of less from our children than they did 20 or 30 years ago, when all that they preach is the need for a great education in today's world??? I would think it would be a much more accredited school district if the teachers worked harder to bring the average of their students up. Speaking of data, I can show data that would show that a polished turd is more pleasing to the eye, but it is still just a turd. Data is only as good as the results you are trying to achieve by giving that data.
You should voice your questions and opinions at a school board meeting. They are...wait for it...open to the public. Seriously, they could answer those questions if you'd just show up.
Ironman

Hattiesburg, MS

#14 May 15, 2013
cipsaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironman just sit down and think about this grading change - try to explain it to someone, you can't because it is not logical. If little Johnny cannot pass 8th grade, we are going to fix it so he can make a passing grade if he scores 60 or above, but we are going to make the course harder for him to pass - is that logical thinking? Data can be made to fit the situation in many cases. Little Johnny needs a GED and get a job.
Gotta question MDE on that one. Maybe, even up to the federal level. Sometimes, hands are tied at the local level

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#15 May 15, 2013
What it truley boils down to is American's are falling more and more under the grip of the Federal Government, Which is exactly what the Federal Government wants. Common Core, Healthy eating, Taking tests online, I am the modern doomsday screamer, Screaming , Be prepared Americans, The time is near.
Ironman

Hattiesburg, MS

#16 May 15, 2013
mentul_autocrat wrote:
What it truley boils down to is American's are falling more and more under the grip of the Federal Government, Which is exactly what the Federal Government wants. Common Core, Healthy eating, Taking tests online, I am the modern doomsday screamer, Screaming , Be prepared Americans, The time is near.
Gotta agree with you on that one. There are few fed programs good for all.
Fed up

Petal, MS

#17 May 15, 2013
I'm just a dumb old home-schooled kid, but we had to make an 80 to pass a test. I think a 60 is pretty low.

And if the GCT is referring to the number of views as reported by facebook, that isn't very accurate. Facebook decides what posts to show, unless you pay them money. I am an admin on a business page, and we will have one post reach 15 people, and the next one will reach 100+. It all depends on Facebook's mood I guess.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#18 May 15, 2013
Fed up wrote:
I'm just a dumb old home-schooled kid, but we had to make an 80 to pass a test. I think a 60 is pretty low.
And if the GCT is referring to the number of views as reported by facebook, that isn't very accurate. Facebook decides what posts to show, unless you pay them money. I am an admin on a business page, and we will have one post reach 15 people, and the next one will reach 100+. It all depends on Facebook's mood I guess.
I certainly hope they rethink this one. The last thing we need is for MS to look worse. I don't know our school board folks, but I hope this one will just not calculate.
Just saying

Hattiesburg, MS

#19 May 15, 2013
We had a meeting at rocky creek school with Lori sellers about this common core teaching. Her answer to all our questions was to HOLD YOUR CHILD BACK if their not an A or B student, even tho they've implemented the common core and skipping 2 yrs of school. Like she said in the paper "kindergarten is now second grade" she told us when your 5 yr old enters kindergarten they should be able to write a complete sentence punctuation and all. And their doing all this to increase graduation right now were at 70% and we should be at 80% because we have 16 and 17 yr olds in ninth grade. Does this not contradict itself!!!

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20 May 15, 2013
Just saying wrote:
We had a meeting at rocky creek school with Lori sellers about this common core teaching. Her answer to all our questions was to HOLD YOUR CHILD BACK if their not an A or B student, even tho they've implemented the common core and skipping 2 yrs of school. Like she said in the paper "kindergarten is now second grade" she told us when your 5 yr old enters kindergarten they should be able to write a complete sentence punctuation and all. And their doing all this to increase graduation right now were at 70% and we should be at 80% because we have 16 and 17

yr olds in ninth grade. Does this not contradict itself!!!
This is some strange stuff. More than 50% of the kids entering kindergarten will not even be able to count to 10. I don't know where she came up with a 70% graduation rate - the average in the state is 61% and last thing I saw GC was lower than that. Sounds like kids just won't be smart enough to go to school lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucedale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone Know Good Paid or Free Dating Sites? (Aug '12) Mar '18 zan 7
Fishing below the Wilkerson Ferry (Aug '11) Mar '18 Brandon0852 6
church Mar '18 freebird 4
News Will Waveland cops have to pay to take home the... Jan '18 Waveland Citizen 1
Poll George County Sheriff candidates (Mar '15) Jan '18 TheTruth 16
Scoop (May '14) Dec '17 nawuhuh 6
Firing of warden (May '14) Dec '17 get_down_tonight 8

Lucedale Jobs

Personal Finance

Lucedale Mortgages