PowerBall, Wake up Mississippi

PowerBall, Wake up Mississippi

Posted in the Lucedale Forum

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#1 May 15, 2013
When Is Mississippi going to wake up and join the rest of the country and take advantage of LOTTERY GAMES? If they were involved with lotteries this education Bond may be an unnecessary discussion. When the state seems to be so strapped for money for education who do you have to beat over the head to WAKE THEM UP? What are our politicians waiting for, we've already proved we move a little slower down here but, Good Golly Miss molly, give me a break. How many people would not spend $2 to take a chance at over 366 million dollars, especially if you knew a large part of it was going into the education fund. Just my opinion.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#2 May 15, 2013
just -woderin wrote:
When Is Mississippi going to wake up and join the rest of the country and take advantage of LOTTERY GAMES? If they were involved with lotteries this education Bond may be an unnecessary discussion. When the state seems to be so strapped for money for education who do you have to beat over the head to WAKE THEM UP? What are our politicians waiting for, we've already proved we move a little slower down here but, Good Golly Miss molly, give me a break. How many people would not spend $2 to take a chance at over 366 million dollars, especially if you knew a large part of it was going into the education fund. Just my opinion.
Gambling is already legal - I have a problem with people spending their grocery money at the casino, but no one makes you buy a ticket.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#3 May 15, 2013
Yeah but, I wouldn't spend my grocery money I'd spend my beer money that I can't spend in George County, lol. Just one example:

Since its inception in October 1985, the Lottery has provided over $25 billion to students in California's public schools. Below are the educational institutions that receive Lottery funds along with fund distribution.
Educational Institution Percent of Overall Lottery Funds
Kindergarten - 12th Grade 76.71%
Community Colleges 16.22%
California State University System 4.30%
University of California 2.70%
Other Educational Entities .07%

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#4 May 16, 2013
just -woderin wrote:
Yeah but, I wouldn't spend my grocery money I'd spend my beer money that I can't spend in George County, lol. Just one example:
Since its inception in October 1985, the Lottery has provided over $25 billion to students in California's public schools. Below are the educational institutions that receive Lottery funds along with fund distribution.
Educational Institution Percent of Overall Lottery Funds
Kindergarten - 12th Grade 76.71%
Community Colleges 16.22%
California State University System 4.30%
University of California 2.70%
Other Educational Entities .07%
when the lottery system was first introduced in California, You could physically see the upgrades to the school systems, Yechnology, all of it, It spread like wildfire from there. I agree with you, This is just one was for the State to profit from a practice that is already taking place at convienient stores across the state, Only the winnings from those scrath offs are 100 dollars at the most and only benefit the company producing them.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#5 May 16, 2013
It just seems like a no brainer to me. Even if people do not like gambling, they should still realize what a great uplift of money this would be for education. I don't like string beans, but I don't care if they're put on the table and everybody around me eats them, their business.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#6 May 16, 2013
just -woderin wrote:
It just seems like a no brainer to me. Even if people do not like gambling, they should still realize what a great uplift of money this would be for education. I don't like string beans, but I don't care if they're put on the table and everybody around me eats them, their business.
It is a no brainer Sir, Thats what I don't understand, It seems there has been alot of " no brainer" activity in this county in the last couple of years.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#7 May 16, 2013
Excuse me, Not only county but State and Federal.
Bulletz

Picayune, MS

#8 May 20, 2013
"The "education" lottery provides scholarships for mediocre high school graduates; however, almost all of this money goes to upper-income families. The program requires all students to apply for federal aid and scholarship programs, so the poor and minorities are funded not by the lottery but by our federal taxes.

The highly touted Georgia lottery is just a bunch of hot political air. Over the first several years of the lottery, the population of the state increased by over 12%, but the college student population increased by only 1% and most kids loose their scholarships after one year. The big beneficiaries have been the college bureaucracies where salaries and payrolls have been pumped upwards with lottery money."

Also half of the money goes to the state treasury. Then the person loses about a third of their winnings to the IRS.

Then each school gets a certain amount, usually about less than $300,000. Schools would be better off if each person donated a dollar a month to their local schools.

Source(s):
http://www.publicgaming.com/index.php... …

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#9 May 20, 2013
Bulletz wrote:
"The "education" lottery provides scholarships for mediocre high school graduates; however, almost all of this money goes to upper-income families. The program requires all students to apply for federal aid and scholarship programs, so the poor and minorities are funded not by the lottery but by our federal taxes.
The highly touted Georgia lottery is just a bunch of hot political air. Over the first several years of the lottery, the population of the state increased by over 12%, but the college student population increased by only 1% and most kids loose their scholarships after one year. The big beneficiaries have been the college bureaucracies where salaries and payrolls have been pumped upwards with lottery money."
Also half of the money goes to the state treasury. Then the person loses about a third of their winnings to the IRS.
Then each school gets a certain amount, usually about less than $300,000. Schools would be better off if each person donated a dollar a month to their local schools.
Source(s):
http://www.publicgaming.com/index.php... …
Last year lottery sales in New York State totaled more than $7.8 billion, of which $2.6 billion went to education funding.
The $2.6 billion represented 12% of the total New York State spending on education.
The California State Lottery Act of 1984 was intended to provide more money to schools without imposing extra taxes. Accordingly, the Lottery was required to provide at least 34% of its revenues to public education, supplementing (not replacing) other funds provided by California.
There were many other examples of Large education contributions to states, bottom line, How much is Mississippi getting? How many times do they ask to raise taxes for education, granted it still depends on Politicians to give a fair share to education (that is a scary thought) but we would hope it would be done fairly compared to other states. I think it is just wasted revenue that the state of Mississippi could definitely use.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucedale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cyber stalking, harassment or threat. 1 min Too_Funny 25
18 Million Dollar School Bond (Jun '12) Jan 24 Fragilepkg 24
Black teeth Jan '17 Too_Funny 27
Election Nov '16 trump 1
Kim Dailey (May '15) Nov '16 Too_Funny 47
Public showers Sep '16 Lindy 1
Help us lay our friend to rest. Any donation ap... Sep '16 sickANDtired 2

Lucedale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lucedale Mortgages