Sheriff: Lucedale man set dog on fire...

Sheriff: Lucedale man set dog on fire to 'help it go to heaven'

There are 12 comments on the The Mississippi Press story from May 23, 2013, titled Sheriff: Lucedale man set dog on fire to 'help it go to heaven'. In it, The Mississippi Press reports that:

A 20-year-old Lucedale man has been arrested after he set his family dog Socks on fire to "help it go to heaven," George County Sheriff Dean Howell said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Mississippi Press.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#1 May 23, 2013
What I have to say and what I think should be done is "R" rated - I will keep these nasty thoughts to myself.
time2growup

Poplarville, MS

#2 May 23, 2013
Yea..... he was on meth

“John 3:16”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#3 May 23, 2013
There is a little more but the main part you already know and see.

Dog set afire in George County dies of its injuries
Man arrested on animal cruelty charges, was wanted on two warrants

By MARGARET BAKER andJUSTIN MITCHELL — [email protected]
GEORGE COUNTY -- A Lucedale man arrested on a charge of animal cruelty Tuesday is accused of dousing his 5-year-old Chihuahua mix in a flammable liquid and setting it on fire, George County Sheriff Dean Howell said.
The dog, named "Socks," died of massive burns to the body Thursday at George County Animal Hospital.
Arrested on a charge of misdemeanor animal cruelty was Brandon Pierce, 20. Authorities, however, said they hope to upgrade the charge against Pierce to a felony charge of aggravated animal cruelty as early as today.
Deputies said the dog was on fire when they responded to a 911 call for help at the home on Greenwood Road, where Pierce lives with his family. The caller said Pierce was "going crazy on meth."

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/2013/05/23/4686253/s...

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#4 May 23, 2013
The_SCOOP wrote:
There is a little more but the main part you already know and see.
Dog set afire in George County dies of its injuries
Man arrested on animal cruelty charges, was wanted on two warrants
By MARGARET BAKER andJUSTIN MITCHELL — [email protected]
GEORGE COUNTY -- A Lucedale man arrested on a charge of animal cruelty Tuesday is accused of dousing his 5-year-old Chihuahua mix in a flammable liquid and setting it on fire, George County Sheriff Dean Howell said.
The dog, named "Socks," died of massive burns to the body Thursday at George County Animal Hospital.
Arrested on a charge of misdemeanor animal cruelty was Brandon Pierce, 20. Authorities, however, said they hope to upgrade the charge against Pierce to a felony charge of aggravated animal cruelty as early as today.
Deputies said the dog was on fire when they responded to a 911 call for help at the home on Greenwood Road, where Pierce lives with his family. The caller said Pierce was "going crazy on meth."
Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/2013/05/23/4686253/s...
Wonder what kind of charge using meth carries? I bet he gets sent away to a mental hospital - seems this could carry the same type charge as dog fighting.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#5 May 23, 2013
This is a sad excuse for a human being. I have animals and it may be sad to say, but if one of my dogs or this @#$#@# were standing in front of a speeding bus traveling down the road and I could only save one, I'd be playing in the yard with my dog tomorrow.

Location hidden

#6 May 24, 2013
Mississippi Farm Bureau opposes animal protection.

http://www.petanim.com/10554/jlbenton/animal-...

Mississippi is one of four states that do not charge felonies to animal abusers.
Mississippi has a problem with animal abuse. Many of the stories of abuse of pets make the news, but most don’t. Law enforcement officers and animal rescue groups know them all too well. Law officers also know that people who abuse animals are likely to abuse people and be involved in other crimes.
The Senate has approved a bill to make cruelty to dogs and cats a first-offense felony.

However, the House in the past has not been willing to address the issue. Even though it only applies to pets, dogs and cats, the powerful Mississippi Farm Bureau has opposed it. It died last year in the House Agriculture Committee, chaired by Rep. Greg Ward, D-Ripley. Ward should not block the bill.

Legislatures across the country are coming to the realization that animals are not just animals; they are loving, cuddly, and faithful creatures that deserve nothing but a reciprocated love and devotion.

It is extremely sad there are people in this world that could actually torture an animal that cannot defend itself.

There was this one dog, I remember, that was the sweetest dog you would ever meet, a pit bull mix in fact. The owner was an abuser; not a torturing kind of way, but he would kick or smack the dog when the poor thing would get in his way or do something wrong.

All that dog wanted was affection and you could tell by the way he looked at his owner. It broke my heart, but that is how dogs are. They love unconditionally, even if they are abused by the person that is supposed to love them unconditionally.

Animal cruelty should definitely be a felony in all 50 states, no questions asked.

Location hidden

#7 May 24, 2013
http://www.examiner.com/article/mississippi-s...

According to an article by the American Dog Owners Association, "The animal cruelty revisions long have been opposed by the Mississippi Farm Bureau Federation, with former leader David Waide going so far to say that “radicals” were pushing animal cruelty bills in hopes of turning people into vegetarians and curtailing livestock production during his farewell speech in December."

Location hidden

#8 May 24, 2013
I was told by Karl Smith that Socks had renal failure due to fourth degree burns thru the nerves and was in great pain. Decision was made to euthanize him but he died before they did. They did all they could.

Location hidden

#9 May 25, 2013
From what I've been informed, the insanity plea cannot be used because of the meth that caused temporarily delusion. Although I have no doubt his lawyer will try.
Just Me

Greeneville, TN

#10 May 30, 2013
I say forget felony charges, pour gas on that piece of trash and watch him burn.

Can you imagine the pain that dog felt? That guy doesn't deserve to live another day on this world.

Punishments need to start fitting the crimes.

Location hidden

#11 May 30, 2013
You know that will never happen and is barbaric under our constitution. Lets just stick to fines and imprisonment possibilities.

Location hidden

#12 May 30, 2013
I'm of the same opinion but I'm realistic enough to know what will actually be done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lucedale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The nurse accused of withholding a diabetic inm... Mon bummer1 3
New on Facebook~Lucedale For Sale and Wanted (Jun '11) Nov 3 Jane 33
Nephew Missing (Mar '13) Oct '17 the_truth_will_co... 185
looking for old friends (Aug '16) Oct '17 his messenger 8
News Couple expecting baby murdered (Jan '08) Sep '17 Know your facts 19
News Child found dead on Lucedale highway Sep '17 soso 3
News William Darden, Idice Darden face meth-related ... (Jun '11) Jul '17 Kaleigh Darden 144

Lucedale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lucedale Mortgages