Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins an...

Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term

There are 23479 comments on the El Paso Times story from Nov 2, 2010, titled Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Republican Gov. Rick Perry has defeated Democrat Bill White to win a third four-year term as Texas governor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

here you go

Nacogdoches, TX

#23485 Jul 9, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
NAFTA was Reagan's invention.
and his baby.
Then good for him. At least you didn't blame Bush.

The point of the question was that at the time (1990s) there was an opportunity to enrich an LDC, either Mexico or China. Why did all these companies choose the Communists over our neighbors to the south?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#23486 Jul 9, 2014
here you go wrote:
<quoted text>
Then good for him. At least you didn't blame Bush.
Don't have to.

More than enough problems that make Bush the worst president in the last 80 years.

Wipe your chin, HomoOne.
fubar

Corona, CA

#23488 Jul 10, 2014
here you go wrote:
<quoted text>
When Clinton was in office, NAFTA was passed about the same time the President granted China "most favored nation" trading status with the US. So, why did all these giant greedy corporations like Apple, GE, Wal-Mart and Dell (and many, many others) decide to set up shop in China and buy from China rather than Mexico? Surely the cost of transportation would have been a lot cheaper from Mexico, right?
Wages are cheaper in Mexico but they are virtual slave wages in China. When they moved those jobs to China a lot of the jobs paid less than twenty cents an hour and even less worker protections than in Mexico. Can you imagine how cheap wages are to make it worthwhile shipping stuff from China.
brad

Bolton, CT

#23489 Jul 10, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Both global and our American economy are an ever-evolving process. When all those often union, manufacturing jobs were shipped out and replaced with service and startup positions, wages were bound to lower....Corporate Greed is in high gear, as well.....Profit over employees or country is still popular....
You people love,love love to bash America,yet,never offer up any alternatives to our "evil" business practices.

Should we be following Chinas business model,or Indias,perhaps we should fashion ourselves in the image of El Salvador or North Korea?
here you go

Nacogdoches, TX

#23490 Jul 10, 2014
fubar wrote:
<quoted text>Wages are cheaper in Mexico but they are virtual slave wages in China. When they moved those jobs to China a lot of the jobs paid less than twenty cents an hour and even less worker protections than in Mexico. Can you imagine how cheap wages are to make it worthwhile shipping stuff from China.
I vaguely remember reading that people at the Apple factory were making either $12 or $21 per week (don't quite remember the order of the numbers). And then they sell that crap here for $500. They make it with slaves and sell it at a price as if US workers made it. I'll bet poor ole Sam Walton is turning in his grave. Remember Walmart's original slogan "Made in America"?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#23492 Jul 10, 2014
fubar wrote:
<quoted text>Wages are cheaper in Mexico but they are virtual slave wages in China. When they moved those jobs to China a lot of the jobs paid less than twenty cents an hour and even less worker protections than in Mexico. Can you imagine how cheap wages are to make it worthwhile shipping stuff from China.
Seems like something may be happening in China, as BBC announced their trade surplus shifting, combined with recent violent protests in Hong Kong....Add in today's reveal of continued cyber spying by China ...and our Secretary of State in Beijing.......alot happening there.....

Location hidden

#23493 Jul 10, 2014
brad wrote:
<quoted text>
You people love,love love to bash America,yet,never offer up any alternatives to our "evil" business practices.
Should we be following Chinas business model,or Indias,perhaps we should fashion ourselves in the image of El Salvador or North Korea?
Here's hope that you can find someone that thinks like you....good luck....
here you go

Nacogdoches, TX

#23494 Jul 10, 2014
brad wrote:
<quoted text>
We brought this on ourselves with the unions. There was a time when American workers were truly oppressed and the unions served a purpose. Then the unions gained tremendous power and started demanding very unreasonable wages and benefits from companies manufacturing in America. Paying someone the equivalent of $90,000 per year (in today's dollars) plus benefits to turn a screw for 20 years, then they get to retire with full pay and benefits for the rest of their lives. This drove up prices and drove down our standard of living. And foreign firms were able to take advantage, step in and provide cheaper goods and it's been downhill for us ever since.

My dad, with a 6th grade education and a GED made less than $20,000 per year in the 1970s. I remember he bought a new mid-sized Ford for $3,000. He was a non-union physical laborer in the south and made enough to buy 6 new cars a year! How much would someone have to make to buy 6 new cars a year now?$150,000?

The solution would be to do whatever it would take to lure these manufacturing jobs back to the US. Most people would hate what it would take. For example, eliminating all income taxes for manufacturing firms might help but that would make many people very angry.
Joyce

United States

#23495 Jul 10, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't have to.
More than enough problems that make Bush the worst president in the last 80 years.
Wipe your chin, HomoOne.
According to the Quinnipiac Poll Barack Hussein Obama WON that distinction!

Location hidden

#23496 Jul 10, 2014
here you go wrote:
<quoted text>
I vaguely remember reading that people at the Apple factory were making either $12 or $21 per week
$285 a month.

And Chinese were fighting to get the jobs because that is a high wage in China.

Location hidden

#23497 Jul 10, 2014
here you go wrote:
Remember Walmart's original slogan "Made in America"?
Tea Bag Mecca.

Location hidden

#23499 Jul 10, 2014
Joyce wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Quinnipiac Poll, Bush won it the last time it was run (with slightly higher numbers).

Smarter people conclude popularity polls run on on current president aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Tis why most people look at historic polls.

Location hidden

#23500 Jul 10, 2014
here you go wrote:
<quoted text>
We brought this on ourselves with the unions. There was a time when American workers were truly oppressed and the unions served a purpose.
You mean before there was a minimum wage and the work week was 60 hours?

And those damn unions demanded weekends off?

Horrible!

Location hidden

#23501 Jul 10, 2014
Joyce wrote:
<quoted text>
So, tell me what the importance of that is?
USA

Del Rio, TX

#23502 Jul 10, 2014
Perry is awesome

Location hidden

#23503 Jul 10, 2014
USA wrote:
Perry is awesome
Right.

Why he came in seventh in a eight man race.

Maybe if he practices, he can remember three things not on his cue cards next time.
geektechTX

Houston, TX

#23504 Jul 10, 2014
i am really hearing this i guess no one votes in Houston just for Dems ..Gov Rick Perry told Texas he is stepping down end of his term ..Greg Abbott will be new Governor of Texas ..he could be President of the USA in 2016 by landslide over this border issue and Mitt Romney his VP ..Texas is biggger than Mass ..

I am only 32 years old with 4 2. I.T firms , media tech company and Lawn & pool DBA's been in business with 2 firms for close to 15 years in december basically started my business in high school year after Google was founded in 1999 ..

I am GOP neighbood captain over Fort Bend County ..over 680,000 citzen of Fort Bend county ...i am an native houstonian but with small town roots ..i used to be independent voter and voted for hiltary clinton in primaries i didnt like Obama ..didnt vote for him in both elections, can't buy my votes if you be on Houston Media TV and radio ..just a few tweets and phone calls ..one of my friends ran for Mayor of Houston in 2008 againist parker ..yall have good day ..cant keep a good man down

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#23505 Jul 11, 2014
fubar wrote:
<quoted text>I never accused you of being a liberal. You are a fascist and racist(almost the same thing).
They are better than you because, generally, they don't hate peopole based on skin color, religion or sexual orientation. Your promotion of the Jewish (antiquated) laws of the OLD TESTAMENT and complete disregard for the teachings of Jesus, makes the case that you are a self hating Jew. My apologies for all Jews for lumping this piece of human excrement into your race.
By the way ,you obviously don't know what a communist is. Here's a hint, every time you run down to Wal-Mart you are supporting the communist government of China and helping kill American manufacturing jobs.
Yep, I can tell you are heavy Fed. You never did believe the bible is credible.
Your loss, probably.
You're obviously nuts, with this Jewish thing. I don't know much about Jewish bibles/books but, the Christian bible does not agree to gays and tribe-mixing. If your Jew book says the same, two same opinions are better than your one.

What makes you think Jews regard the words of Jesus with any respect, being they murdered Jesus?
Being that you have a Jewish Granny, you really can't talk.
brad

Bolton, CT

#23506 Jul 11, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Here's hope that you can find someone that thinks like you....good luck....
You're right,finding people who think like me is getting harder because they are the wealth creators,innovative entrepreneurs and creative thinkers,and,they're leaving in droves to more friendly business environments where they're not expected to support the people who think like you.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#23507 Jul 11, 2014
fubar wrote:
<quoted text>What is a welfare roach? You are funny in the way you like to make up names or repeat stuff you heard.Life must be hard for you, always having to hate everybody based on their race or where they are born. I can only imagine that it must be exhausting.
A welfare roach would primarily be the illegal alien invaders from every country, who are on the welfare program. They are not Americans, they are thieving foreigners, taking from tax-paying American citizens. They are coming here in huge numbers, like roaches in their packs.

Oh, you must be pro-immigrant children?
Why aren't you pro-American children?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lubbock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Vape 180 (Sep '13) Aug 7 Namrak 14
Obama released 242 from prison Aug 5 bettyB 1
Black Lives Matter - Aug 30 Aug 5 pauli 1
Un caring customer service at lab corp Aug 4 susan p 2
Nikki dee ray (Apr '15) Jul 27 RVAHanoverJamaBama 38
News Lubbock Scraps Holly Name at Two Sites (May '07) Jul '16 Jiminy Cricket 32
Drake Routier - Darlie Routier's son (Sep '09) Jul '16 SLYcrafts 517

Lubbock Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance