Will Lubbock Ever Be Smoke-Free?

Will Lubbock Ever Be Smoke-Free?

Posted in the Lubbock Forum

West Texan

United States

#1 May 22, 2014
Based upon an article in the AJ by reporter, Ellysa Gonzalez, there are rays of hope that Lubbock will soon be smoke-free, thanks to the efforts of the West Texas Smoke-Free Coalition. Lubbock went through this debate more than a decade ago and it was no contest in the common sense, smoke-free side winning. However, although the self-destructive, rednecks in City Hall and among Lubbock’s general population, lost the contest with less than 40% of the vote in the referendum, they still finagled ways to keep the vestiges of this filthy, noxious habit in practice in many businesses.

As a lung-cancer survivor who never smoked, my Mayo clinic biopsy pointed directly to second-hand smoke as the culprit. Lubbock’s no-so-bright mayor said that they would not address the issue of e-cigarette smoking in public unless it “became a problem.” Obviously he has never heard of the “blunt,” where dope smokers disguise their joints by placing them in hollowed-out cigars. We are dealing with the worst kind of narcotic addict in smokers. They will do anything to throw their weight around with no consideration to others who must breathe their poisoned air. The mayor is a heart-surgery survivor, and I’d wager that smoking was part of the problem with his ticker. Rush Limbaugh used to be an outspoken advocate of “smoker’s rights,” but since he became stone deaf, he may have changed his mind. Besides lung cancer, deafness, cataracts, and macular degeneration, sudden blindness is a malady that can be attributed to the dozens of carcinogens in tobacco and tobacco smoke.

Kudos to those members of the Coalition who, according to the article by Gonzalez, Matthew Harris and Kelsey Bernstein, who work for a smoke-free Lubbock; and a rap on the knuckles to the misguided, misinformed advocates of smoking in public, such as City Councilwoman, Karen Gibson, the passive, acquiescent mayor, and Councilman, Jim Gerlt who said it was not fair to pass such an ordinance unless businessmen were unanimously in favor of it. That makes as much sense as not having a leash law unless all dog owners are in favor of it, or not having liability insurance unless all drivers are in favor of it.
Smoke Free Lubbock

Lubbock, TX

#2 May 23, 2014
Your story is touching, and I commend you for standing up for what you believe in.

People like you standing up for us nonsmokers give our community hope. Don't back down, and let everyone know what you've survived. There are thousands of others in Lubbock right now that are suffering from 2nd hand smoke and your story can help to protect them where they work.

Don't be afraid to tell the City Council how you feel, you can be sure that the smokers are going to make their voices heard.
You are crazy

Lubbock, TX

#3 May 27, 2014
Your post is pure fallacy.
If you don't want the smoke then don't go in.
Pretty easy solution.
Crazy

Lubbock, TX

#4 May 27, 2014
You are crazy wrote:
Your post is pure fallacy.
If you don't want the smoke then don't go in.
Pretty easy solution.
How is this a solution for the waiters/waitresses/bartenders? Your solution is "pure fallacy"...
Not everyone had life handed to them on a silver platter like you and some have suffered working in second hand smoke for years. Why do you insist on our early graves?
Really

Lubbock, TX

#5 May 28, 2014
Crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
How is this a solution for the waiters/waitresses/bartenders? Your solution is "pure fallacy"...
Not everyone had life handed to them on a silver platter like you and some have suffered working in second hand smoke for years. Why do you insist on our early graves?
Go work somewhere else.

Done.
I will smoke dammit

Hyattsville, MD

#6 May 29, 2014
cough cough!!! I will smoke my cigars anywhere I darn well please!!! You want to ban smoking in public!!!! Ban women from smelling like French hookers!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lubbock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
beware of driver spreading std (Aug '15) Apr 18 Durrr 3
News With Trump cuts proposal, future of Lubbock com... Apr 16 xray45 1
fit tax facts Apr 15 zack 1
Appraised Value up 10% Apr 13 zack 1
Trump Demonstrates Leadership - Makes Me Proud ... Apr 7 Steve 1
Review: I Love Kickboxing (Feb '16) Apr 6 Mcantu70 16
Customer Service @ Social Security Is Non-existant Apr 6 Steve 1

Lubbock Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance