No way NTS Tower could have been directly hit by tornado.

Posted in the Lubbock Forum

Observer

Cicero, IL

#1 Jun 12, 2012
In 1970, a violent, F-5 tornado hit Lubbock, Texas. Apparently, it seems that people claim that the building known today as the NTS Tower took a hit by that tornado. But what nobody seems to say is if the NTS Tower was either directly hit by the core of the tornado, or was merely sideswiped by the outer edge of the tornado's wind field. In my opinion, there is no way any high rise could possibly stand in a direct hit by an F-5 tornado; if directly hit by the tornado's core, a high rise building would topple right over like a tree going over in a downburst.
Just Over There

Davenport, IA

#2 Jun 14, 2012
There is documented evidence as to what you are saying. Tech students gathered data (damage to structures, estimated wind speeds at the sites). Wind speed at the top of the building was an estimated 200 miles per hour. And from what I can recall the wind speed at the lower part of the building was at 80 miles per hour approximately. Wind speed increases as height increases. If you dig deep enough, Tech's research on the storm and its effects can be found on the internet. There is also evidence that there was more than tornado.
Anonymous

Lubbock, TX

#3 Jun 27, 2012
the wind research team all will tell you that it,s wind speed was powerfull enough to twist the steel beams in the structure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lubbock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) May 20 Banfartos 708
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) May 19 Fartdog 843
News DPS Trooper Caught on Video Breaking Glass (Aug '07) May 19 stc 6
Judge orders records released to Lubbock busine... May 19 unknown 5
Zeon castillo and his ladylove May 19 OFTR fan 2
People who don't TIP??????? (Jun '10) May 18 informedPatron 88
Shallowater couple pays for concrete that never... May 17 Velinda 1
More from around the web

Lubbock People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]