Posted in the Lowville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Undercover Sister

Constableville, NY

#1 Mar 18, 2010
The below is from:

Economic Development and Planning Legislative Committee, Minutes, January 19, 2010, Attendees: Legislators Lucas, Wallace, Burke and Bush; County Manager Pendergast; Economic Development Director Virkler; County Attorney Graham; Recreational Trail
Coordinator Diehl; Senior Planners Beyer and Bullock.

"Virkler presented information on conceptual restructuring of economic development functions. Committee agreed that moving to some form of a
coordinated,“one stop shop” format would be beneficial."

Eric Virkler is planning to head up the County Department of Economic Development and the Lewis County IDA. The “one stop shop” will be located at the present County of Lewis Industrial Development agency offices.

This will combine the Economic Developer and the IDA Executive Director into one position with Eric Virkler being the head of the One Stop Center of Economic Development.
Eye

Constableville, NY

#2 Mar 19, 2010
Efficiency

Since: Oct 09

Syracuse, NY

#3 Mar 19, 2010
Someone is getting butcher in this consolidation. Does yeti like human meat?
apeman

Keeseville, NY

#4 Mar 19, 2010
yeti prefer possum. eat human only on mountain when nothing else there.
Marge

Syracuse, NY

#5 Mar 19, 2010
It looks like Eric, Lucas, Bush, Burke, and Wallace are taking the bull by the horns and tackling the "One Stop Shop" economic development proposal. This is a very positive move for the county. It has been a long lingering issue and now becoming reality.
spot

Glenfield, NY

#6 Mar 19, 2010
Good idea, but it is NOT the right person. Beauracrats now nothing about business.
skeptic

Keeseville, NY

#7 Mar 19, 2010
actually, bringing this under control of county government is a horrible idea.
IDA's were set up as a way for communities to pursue economic development without direct interference or influence by politics. IDA's are not part of county government. with economic development under the control of the county politicians like Lucas, just whose agenda do you think will get promoted, the public's or an individual politician's? the politician's of course.
I seriously doubt the legality of the move being planned. The IDA is formed by state law and is a state authority. I doubt the county can just toss it away.
Observer

Constableville, NY

#8 Mar 19, 2010
Over the last 5 years Lewis County Board of Legislators hired over five Economic Developers costing the taxpayers on half to a million dollars. What do they have to show for this. During this period the unemployment rate has risen, no jobs were created and no retention of jobs. We lost jobs.

During this past year Lewis County unemployment as hit a high of over 11%. Businesses has closed and the average salary has decrease. Why are our Legislator continue flushing the taxpayers hard earned money down the drain?

The present Economic Developer was hired with no economic development experience and being a job switcher. Our legislators have hired him at a salary between $65,000 and $ 75,000 plus benefits. Can some tell me why they hired an inexperience person for this job?

They want the inexperience Economic Developer overseeing both the Economic Development Department and the Industrial Development Agency out of the same offices. This is now being unsuccessfully accomplished in Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego and other counties in New York State.

One common and troubling form of insanity is, "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results," warned Albert Einstein. Our legislators don’t learn from their mistakes, and thrive on making the same mistakes over and over again. Our legislators are out of touch with reality.

Must the citizens of Lewis County wait for the next election to remove these legislators or can we impeach them on the grounds of INSANITY.
Eye

Constableville, NY

#9 Mar 20, 2010
Agree
Tailor

Cortland, NY

#10 Mar 20, 2010
Observer wrote:
Over the last 5 years Lewis County Board of Legislators hired over five Economic Developers costing the taxpayers on half to a million dollars. What do they have to show for this. During this period the unemployment rate has risen, no jobs were created and no retention of jobs. We lost jobs.
During this past year Lewis County unemployment as hit a high of over 11%. Businesses has closed and the average salary has decrease. Why are our Legislator continue flushing the taxpayers hard earned money down the drain?
The present Economic Developer was hired with no economic development experience and being a job switcher. Our legislators have hired him at a salary between $65,000 and $ 75,000 plus benefits. Can some tell me why they hired an inexperience person for this job?
They want the inexperience Economic Developer overseeing both the Economic Development Department and the Industrial Development Agency out of the same offices. This is now being unsuccessfully accomplished in Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego and other counties in New York State.
One common and troubling form of insanity is, "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results," warned Albert Einstein. Our legislators don’t learn from their mistakes, and thrive on making the same mistakes over and over again. Our legislators are out of touch with reality.
Must the citizens of Lewis County wait for the next election to remove these legislators or can we impeach them on the grounds of INSANITY.
This whole idea is the brain child of a couple of people who seek power to say nothing of over pay at the taxpayers expense. In the years Ned Cole has been in charge of the IDA he has helped businesses grow and thus hire more people. He is well respected by those in Empire State Development. Unfortunately he is not a politician and quietly goes about doing his job. The one proposed for his job. If Ned is forced out it will be a serious blow to Lewis County.
Interested

Constableville, NY

#11 Mar 21, 2010
Would Yeti like to be Economic Developer. Who should be Economic Developer. I respect your opinion.
apeman

Keeseville, NY

#12 Mar 21, 2010
yeti only develop blisters on feet from walking.yeti like Ned. where is doctor. yeti hungry.
Marge

Syracuse, NY

#13 Mar 22, 2010
The County of Lewis Planning and Economic Development Department has the responsibility in serving the diverse needs of the County residents by improving their economic environmental and quality of life. They are achieving this through projects, programs and studies that revitalize the county by providing expanded employment opportunities, and providing safer and healthier living environments.

The Lewis County area has felt the impact of our nation’s economic crisis, but our local economy is doing far better than many of our peer counties because of the foresight of Rick Lucas and the Board of Legislators in developing a Planning and Economic Development Department. In spite of the challenges, we are continuing to see signs of growth in our local economy.

It is not all Lowville that is getting all the development, This past year brought the Dollar General to Lyons Falls, Tops purchase of the P&C, commitment of the Tractor Supply Store, planning the Walking Trail, planning of the redevelopment of Ames Plaza and downtown Lowville, development of a new health center in Beaver Falls, commitment of a dollar store in Harrisville, expansion of Otis in Lyonsdale, new Bowling Lanes, Brunswick product line to AMF, An motel expansion, and much more. All of this and we all need thank to the Economic Developer and his staff.

This next year they are looking at infrastructure improvements. There will be the reconstruction of the downtown highway and sidewalks. The development of an improve water system in Glenfield.

For the future the County of Lewis Planning and Economic Development Department have completed a County-wide Comprehensive Plan; Water & Sewer studies for the Village and Town of Lowville, Town of Watson; Town of Diana and Village of Harrisville, They are also working on a County Water and Waste Water Plan and supporting DANC study to take over the county’s solid waste and transfer sites. They are still studying the redevelopment of the Lyons Falls Paper Mill. Agri-Tourism is extremely and the One Stop Economic Development Center which is expected to operational by the end of 2010.

In order for a bright economic future people can be negative. There are just two or three negative people on this blog. You can not pay any attention to these types of people. If you don’t believe it can happen, your attitude is "I believe nothing will happen. I am not listening to the Negative comments of two or three commenters on this blog. Just watch and they will rip these comments down. They can tolerate any forward progress.

Eric Virkler is a very knowledge, hard and sincere worker for the betterment of Lewis County. He, only one in years, is trying to turn the county around and head it in the right direction. He developing a future vision for the county that we can all support and follow. He is a leader.
anywho

Constableville, NY

#14 Mar 22, 2010
Marge....please read this post very slowly and repeatedly so that you my finally understand. I am a 40 year old full grown educated human being. I make up my own mind in my own way and in my own time. I do not come to topix expecting anything other then light reading with a sprinkle of entertainment. You do not represent me, my thoughts or my choice for county government. I do not agree with you or your opinions about mr Virkler. That is my right here in the good ole U S of A. and because I do not agree with you, this makes me neither ignorant, negative, or lacking a progressive view of the future for Lewis County. It is that I simply do not agree with you. If that has never happened to you in your life, I am sorry that this is such a shock, however, it will happen on occasion the more you get out in the world, the more people you will meet who are differnt from you. Its a good thing Marge trust me dont panic. Now you also have the right to get on the web and state your opinion. But let me tell you Your approach is not winning your little crusade any followers. speaking for my self only here, I have to say it is a turn off for someone to be so fanatical and hysterical, maybe you could try some medication for that. ALso to approach the people you are trying to influence by implying if you dont agree with me you are ignorant negative minority is a no no, bad for business. Just so you dont think that I am the only one...maybe you could take your head out of your a^^ for a moment and listen....with both ears to a few other people in places other then this forum. I am not the only one who feels this way marge. trust me there are more then a few of us.
Me again

Constableville, NY

#15 Mar 22, 2010
Eric Virkler, Economic Developer needs to be in charge of all the County's Economic Development. That is why the Legislators named him Director of Economic Development and are working on the development of the Economic One Stop Center. Then the IDA, Snowbelt Housing and the Cornell Extension Service will be all be under Eric Virkler.

The One Stop Shop is as important to our County,
as Health Care Reform is to our country.

This is not the time to be conservative. Eric Vikler, whom I know well, has accomplish much this past year ----
Marge wrote:
This past year brought the Dollar General to Lyons Falls, Tops purchase of the P&C, commitment of the Tractor Supply Store, planning the Walking Trail, planning of the redevelopment of Ames Plaza and downtown Lowville, development of a new health center in Beaver Falls, commitment of a dollar store in Harrisville, expansion of Otis in Lyonsdale, new Bowling Lanes, Brunswick product line to AMF, An motel expansion, and much more. All of this and we all need thank to the Economic Developer and his staff.

This next year they are looking at infrastructure improvements. There will be the reconstruction of the downtown highway and sidewalks. The development of an improve water system in Glenfield.

For the future the County of Lewis Planning and Economic Development Department have prepared by by completion a County-wide Comprehensive Plan; Water & Sewer studies for the Village and Town of Lowville, Town of Watson; Town of Diana and Village of Harrisville Water & Sewer study, They are also working on a County Water and Waste Water Plan and supporting DANC study to take over the county’s solid waste and transfer sites. They are still studying the redevelopment of the Lyons Falls Paper Mill. Agri-Tourism is extremely important to the future of Agriculture and the One Stop Economic Development Center which is expected to operational by the end of 2010.
Just review his record this past year. It speaks for itself. This is all I have to say. I will say no more.
Tailor

Cortland, NY

#16 Mar 22, 2010
anywho wrote:
Marge....please read this post very slowly and repeatedly so that you my finally understand. I am a 40 year old full grown educated human being. I make up my own mind in my own way and in my own time. I do not come to topix expecting anything other then light reading with a sprinkle of entertainment. You do not represent me, my thoughts or my choice for county government. I do not agree with you or your opinions about mr Virkler. That is my right here in the good ole U S of A. and because I do not agree with you, this makes me neither ignorant, negative, or lacking a progressive view of the future for Lewis County. It is that I simply do not agree with you. If that has never happened to you in your life, I am sorry that this is such a shock, however, it will happen on occasion the more you get out in the world, the more people you will meet who are differnt from you. Its a good thing Marge trust me dont panic. Now you also have the right to get on the web and state your opinion. But let me tell you Your approach is not winning your little crusade any followers. speaking for my self only here, I have to say it is a turn off for someone to be so fanatical and hysterical, maybe you could try some medication for that. ALso to approach the people you are trying to influence by implying if you dont agree with me you are ignorant negative minority is a no no, bad for business. Just so you dont think that I am the only one...maybe you could take your head out of your a^^ for a moment and listen....with both ears to a few other people in places other then this forum. I am not the only one who feels this way marge. trust me there are more then a few of us.
AMEN
Pepper

Constableville, NY

#17 Mar 22, 2010
Yes let's congratulate Eric Virkler on a fine job this past year. He is the only person in Lewis County working on making Lewis County a better place to work, play and live.
Here's a couple of ways to show our appreciation:
Let's have an Eric Virkler Day. Everyone gets the day off.
On Eric Virkler Day we could start it out with a parade in his honor. Mike Leviker could drive him on the parade route of Virkler St.(former State St.)In the newly named Village of Virklerville.
At the end of the parade route he could uncover a statue of him welcoming everyone.
Maybe Stewart's could name a new flavor of ice cream after him.
An let's exchange Lady Lewinda with a new bull in honor of Eric Virkler.
How's that for being positive?
Bull

Constableville, NY

#18 Mar 22, 2010
I am all for Eric Day, if I can get the day off. When is the date? I all for Eric the Bull.
Lady Lewinda

Constableville, NY

#19 Mar 22, 2010
Pepper wrote:
An let's exchange Lady Lewinda with a new bull in honor of Eric Virkler.
Lady Lewinda isn't a name for a bull. Vicious Virkler would be more like it.
Lady Lewinda

Constableville, NY

#20 Mar 22, 2010
I am upset. There is no need to exchange me or replace me at the Cheese Shop. Vicious Virkler should be located on the courthouse lawn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alan Miller (Nov '08) 10 hr yawn 41
Daniel R King (Jul '12) 14 hr Lowville bystander 113
Jobs coming in Utica with potential impact on L... 15 hr Thunder Thighed U... 46
Lowville man charged with second-degree assault Sat LMFAO 4
Crime warner cable Rate Hikes Sat Cousin Jim 4
music Sat Truth 4
get rid of the DA Sat WhoYouKnoWrite 1
Lowville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lowville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lowville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lowville

Personal Finance