Separate snowmobile crashes kill 3 in...

Separate snowmobile crashes kill 3 in northern NY

There are 74 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 23, 2009, titled Separate snowmobile crashes kill 3 in northern NY. In it, Newsday reports that:

Three people are dead from separate snowmobile accidents that occurred in New York 's North Country during a 7-hour span over the weekend.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
liner

Bronx, NY

#1 Feb 23, 2009
Two of the three occurred on a road. What does that say?
R Andretti

El Paso, TX

#2 Feb 23, 2009
It is unfortunate that this happened, but it is part of life. I think sledders need to be a little more careful, but sometimes you really can't control what happens. I believe that when it's your time, it's your time...as hard as it is to agree when two of the men killed had barely gotten to live. I definitely feel for their families, and keep them in my prayers.

As for what that "says" that two of the accidents were on a road, again, it happens. If they had both occurred in a field or in someone's backyard, would that say something too?

The important part here is that three people were killed in snowmobile accidents, and we need to remember their families in our thoughts and prayers. It is a terrible thing.
liner

Bronx, NY

#3 Feb 23, 2009
R Andretti: What you say is all true, however my point was these things generally don't belong on a road, although I have no idea if them being on a road contributed to the accident in this case.
Podd Talin

Port Washington, NY

#4 Feb 23, 2009
Was I involved?
Timmy O Toole

Elizabeth, NJ

#5 Feb 23, 2009
How the hell to you get "ejected" from a sled?

That means he must have been INSIDE the sled.

Are newsday reporters getting dumber or louder?
skeptic

United States

#6 Feb 23, 2009
let's face...it's yahooism. It's sad for the families, but getting killed on a snowmobile isn't just a "part of life". in each case bad behavior, speed, seems to be a factor from what has been reported. these unfortunate fellows that were killed could have killed or seriously injured someone else. our county keeps promoting this wild west mentality and costing the taxpayers a bundle with the pressure on law enforcement.

“I am a glowworm.”

Since: Feb 09

Lowville, NY

#7 Feb 23, 2009
They may not belong on a road, but there are some parts of the trails that do cross roads or require going along the road for a short distance. Perhaps it would be best to remain neutral on the matter without all the facts?
rip jake

Rome, NY

#8 Feb 23, 2009
two of them - I'm pretty sure - were on roads that are closed to traffic in the winter and serve as snowmobile trails. Please do check your facts.
Lewis County Rider

Farmingdale, NY

#9 Feb 23, 2009
all i can say is this is the reason i stay off of tug hill on the weekends...

“Kneel before Zod”

Since: Apr 07

NY

#10 Feb 23, 2009
R Andretti wrote:
They may not belong on a road, but there are some parts of the trails that do cross roads or require going along the road for a short distance. Perhaps it would be best to remain neutral on the matter without all the facts?
Also, sleds are driven on roads when there is snow on the roads. They don't drive for long distances without snow. This leads me to believe if they were on roads, and not just crossing a road, the road was snow packed. If this is true, a sled is safer that a car on a snow packed road.

But like you said, wait for the facts.
liner

Bronx, NY

#11 Feb 23, 2009
R Andretti wrote:
They may not belong on a road, but there are some parts of the trails that do cross roads or require going along the road for a short distance. Perhaps it would be best to remain neutral on the matter without all the facts?
Point taken.
Haywood Jablowme

Rome, NY

#12 Feb 23, 2009
And we die young. Should've known better. Simple as that. So simple as that. You enter a dangerous situation, that is what you may get.
Danielle

Rome, NY

#13 Feb 23, 2009
Timmy O Toole wrote:
How the hell to you get "ejected" from a sled?
That means he must have been INSIDE the sled.
Are newsday reporters getting dumber or louder?
well lets see... you aint buckled in, your just sitting on and, and when you go fast and hit something, you get ejected..i dont think its the reporters, i think its the dumb shit like you in this world
barb

Rome, NY

#15 Feb 23, 2009
Good point danielle! People are f*ucking retarded...everyone knows if u hit something while riding ur gonna fly off (which is called being ejected) and another thing to all u morons that think they were driving on a road...yeah it was a seasonal road (which for all u non local f*cks that dont know what that is...its a road not accessiable by vehicle hense it is a snowmobile trial..made for riding sled..not like they were cruising down the middle of route 12...people need to get their shit straight before posting and looking stupid!!!
liner

Bronx, NY

#16 Feb 23, 2009
barb wrote:
Good point danielle! People are f*ucking retarded...everyone knows if u hit something while riding ur gonna fly off (which is called being ejected) and another thing to all u morons that think they were driving on a road...yeah it was a seasonal road (which for all u non local f*cks that dont know what that is...its a road not accessiable by vehicle hense it is a snowmobile trial..made for riding sled..not like they were cruising down the middle of route 12...people need to get their **** straight before posting and looking stupid!!!
WOW, where did it say all that?
Haywood Jablowme

Rome, NY

#17 Feb 23, 2009
Yes, idiot, I read it was on CENTERVILLE RD. not RT 12. You don't have to f-n talk down to people. I'm sorry, I didn't realize that Danielle and/or Barb were all high and mighty. Hm, reminds me of JTL.
Jason McMurtry

Rochester, NY

#18 Feb 23, 2009
I am from Livonia and I have been coming to Tug Hill for some time. I know the trails can't be groomed and I understand there were many sleds this weekend. But I have one question? When I ask why the groomers are not running I always get the same response, too many sleds on the hill, every stop I make I see a sign stating that Groomers can be on the trails any time night or day. I think that if it were true that the groomers were out people would slow down on the what I would call unsafe trails we had over the weekend. I have to say that for the first time I really did not enjoy myself at all, and it sucks because I brought a buddy that had never been there before. I think we need to work on the whole seen so everyone can have fun and make it home safely.
miss ya Jake

Rome, NY

#19 Feb 23, 2009
rip jake wrote:
two of them - I'm pretty sure - were on roads that are closed to traffic in the winter and serve as snowmobile trails. Please do check your facts.
Yes both roads are seasonal roads , which means they are not plowed and you couldn't drive a car or a 4wheel drive truck up there if you wanted to!! They become snowmobile trails in the winter .RIP Jake ,you will be missed by many
FYI

Rome, NY

#20 Feb 23, 2009
liner wrote:
R Andretti: What you say is all true, however my point was these things generally don't belong on a road, although I have no idea if them being on a road contributed to the accident in this case.
jakes accidet had nothing to do with being on a road, and when they say road, they mean trail or a snow covered road
FYI

Rome, NY

#21 Feb 23, 2009
Jason McMurtry wrote:
I am from Livonia and I have been coming to Tug Hill for some time. I know the trails can't be groomed and I understand there were many sleds this weekend. But I have one question? When I ask why the groomers are not running I always get the same response, too many sleds on the hill, every stop I make I see a sign stating that Groomers can be on the trails any time night or day. I think that if it were true that the groomers were out people would slow down on the what I would call unsafe trails we had over the weekend. I have to say that for the first time I really did not enjoy myself at all, and it sucks because I brought a buddy that had never been there before. I think we need to work on the whole seen so everyone can have fun and make it home safely.
the people who drive the groomeds are volunteers. So if you have a problem with how it's being done, volunteer, donate your money, or shut up and get off the hill.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Glenfield BOCES students tackle tiny house project 1 hr Helpme 2
Lowville Couple Arrested 18 hr Lol 1
Pizzaria 19 hr Yuck 4
Kenny Sun Democrat Witch Do... 32
justin pate Sat blah 6
Donald Trump Jun 22 Willie 63
News Lowville teen accused of menacing other student... Jun 19 Harry Bawls 10

Lowville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowville Mortgages