Since: Jan 09

AOL

#21 Aug 24, 2009
Martin wrote:
Hushagen's house is still there and the limestone house in between Reeds and Hushagens was the shop of Calvin Lewis who manufactured hats. He built that house and Hushagens. Nice Lady, Mrs. Hushagen passed away several years ago.
I'm all confused on the houses. I know there is a white house up from dr reeds and then a stone house close to the road, but I know that one house was tore down for village green. I guess i'll have to take a closer look when I go to Lowville. I think I do remember reading about Mrs. Hushagen dying. She was a great teacher. Thanks for the info

Since: Apr 09

Henderson

#22 Aug 24, 2009
Does anyone know the name of the caverns in Natural Bridge? You used to be able to go on a boat tour or something up there, but I can't remember the name of them.

I tried to look into this actually. The son who is responsible for it never answered my phone calls or got back to me. My friend passed through Natural Bridge and noticed it and asked me to find out, as they were coming to visit me. I stopped by, got a hold of a couple people who gave me the number of the owner, and he never answered my calls, nor called back.

They are just going to waste as far as I can see.

AOL

#23 Aug 24, 2009
That's what I thought. I will ask my brother in law who lives in Natural bridge, has been there for 34 years but I have never gone to the caverns, just by there. I know there is a Howe Caverns down in the Albany area that I found searching. Thanks for trying to help.

AOL

#24 Aug 30, 2009
Henry Miller wrote:
Does anyone know the name of the caverns in Natural Bridge? You used to be able to go on a boat tour or something up there, but I can't remember the name of them.
I tried to look into this actually. The son who is responsible for it never answered my phone calls or got back to me. My friend passed through Natural Bridge and noticed it and asked me to find out, as they were coming to visit me. I stopped by, got a hold of a couple people who gave me the number of the owner, and he never answered my calls, nor called back.
They are just going to waste as far as I can see.
The caverns in Natural Bridge are called Natural Bridge Caverns. They have been closed down for years and do not do the boat tours anymore. No one is running anything there. Hope this helps
society

Theresa, NY

#25 Sep 1, 2009
The Martinsburg Historical Society has been trying for some time to develop the "Houghs Cave" site on St Rt 26 south of the hamlet of Martinsburg. The historical marker was placed there in 1931 as a location of one of the stops on the famous "underground railway" of pre-Civil War days. It sheltered runaway slaves on their journey to Canada. Landowners over the years have filled in the cave with rocks, etc. In the August 26 edition of the J & R Fred Schneider wrote a piece on Houghs Cave.
jule

Hayward, CA

#26 Sep 1, 2009
Could it be the same as Sleepy Hollow?
jule

Hayward, CA

#28 Sep 1, 2009
Is this the same place called sleepy hollow?
Rte 26 House

Syracuse, NY

#29 Dec 9, 2009
I grew up in a house on Rte. 26 about 5 miles north of Lowville that was part of the underground railroad. Owned by the Bollivers 1982-1975, Owned by the Farney family 1975- present.

Henderson

#30 Dec 9, 2009
Rt 26 house - do you mean 1962?- dates do not make sense.
ha ha

Constableville, NY

#31 Dec 9, 2009
just a typo Henry calm down

Henderson

#32 Dec 9, 2009
I was asking. I am curious. I did not know that you could tell my level of excitement from my post. And, I was right, because you could not. I was absolutely asking a question. You do realize it could be 1952 or 42 0r 32. I am interested in the story so I asked, what is your interest, to complain?

Whats is J&R?
just a mom

Rome, NY

#33 Dec 9, 2009
the 3 stone houses in Denmark that are near each other used to connect underground. Also, my sister's house in Denmark has a small hidden room; it was supposedly part of the underground railroad.
nice lady

AOL

#34 Dec 9, 2009
Rte 26 House wrote:
I grew up in a house on Rte. 26 about 5 miles north of Lowville that was part of the underground railroad. Owned by the Bollivers 1982-1975, Owned by the Farney family 1975- present.
I live in a stone house that was built in 1850 and was a school house three miles outside of Lowville on RT 26. The farm next door to me is the old Boliver farm which is now owned by the Farney's. Mr Boliver also owned the school house that I live in at one time. He used it to store oats after the school house closed and before it was turned into a home. I have lived here for 25 years. The house has been added onto several times but still has the kitchen that was the old school house that most of the neighbors around here went to this one room school. I love to hear their stories when they stop over about where they sat and who lived nearby. It brings back alot of history to this little area. Someday I'm sure this little school house will be tore down to expand the road, but until then, I'm here for awhile.
ha ha

Constableville, NY

#35 Dec 10, 2009
Journal and republican....a newspaper....some people read it.

Henderson

#36 Dec 10, 2009
Ha ha, you have quite the internet nerd attitude. I bet that helps you out quite well i n your obviously wonderful life. Thanks for the help.
Cavewoman

United States

#37 Dec 20, 2009
as far as i know, know one knows where the original entrance to the cave is. some say it is on land owned by the Demko's and others say it is on land owned by the Jantzi's. When the Gaylord's owned the farm, they filled in all the sink holes due to liability issues. They didn't want anyone going into the sink holes without their permission and then suing if they got hurt. Martinsburg Historical maintains the immediate grounds where the Hough's Cave monument sign is. The cave was a part of the Underground Railroad for slaves fleeing to Canada. At one time, NY State wanted to list it as one of the caves to be toured in NY, but the Gaylord's declined the offer for the same reasons of liability. Martinsburg Historical is trying to find the location to the cave to open it up to the public. If anyone is interested, the Martinsburg library has a book called Hough's History of Lewis County. It's a book to be viewed at the library, and last I knew, it couldn't be signed out. I hope this has been a little helpful.
Jody

Constableville, NY

#38 Nov 29, 2010
We purchased the Hushagen house from Perry & Glenda going on 24 years ago. Glenda lived in this house her entire childhood and most of her married life. They are both deceased. They had one daughter, whom I believe lives in Maryland or the D.C. area. After they sold the house to us, they moved to be near her. The "Stagecoach Country" is a good source for info on the underground railroad involving several stone homes in the area.
info

Constableville, NY

#39 Nov 29, 2010
Henry Miller wrote:
I was asking. I am curious. I did not know that you could tell my level of excitement from my post. And, I was right, because you could not. I was absolutely asking a question. You do realize it could be 1952 or 42 0r 32. I am interested in the story so I asked, what is your interest, to complain?
Whats is J&R?
the Journal & Republican weekly newspaper
Mallori

Lowville, NY

#40 Feb 26, 2013
nice lady wrote:
<quoted text>I'm all confused on the houses. I know there is a white house up from dr reeds and then a stone house close to the road, but I know that one house was tore down for village green. I guess i'll have to take a closer look when I go to Lowville.
I don't know if you ever figured out the answer to your question on the house torn down for the Village Green, but from what research I have done, I am pretty sure the house was Dr. C. E. Douglass' house. It was originally built in 1805 by Preserved Finch as an inn (the second in Lowville). It continued to run as a hotel under the supervision of Daniel Gould and then Major Melancthon Woolsey Welles. Sometime after Major Welles' death in 1857 (or possibly before, when he retired), the house was bought by George D. Brown. Eventually it was sold to J. N. Pelton and then bought by Dr. C. E. Douglass. Dr. Douglass practiced medicine in Lowville for over 30 years, approx. 1890-1926. He died Dec. 30, 1926. In May 1928, the house was sold to Mary S. Cook and her son-in-law, Jesse Swan. I am not sure when they sold it or to whom. They may also have been some other owners between Major Welles and Dr. Douglass. When Dr. Douglass owned the house, he maintained a beautiful garden park behind the house. The Lewis County Historical Society has photographs of both the house and the park.
not sure

United States

#41 Feb 26, 2013
I grew up in the brick house next door to village green and remembering it being torn down but I.was a kids and almost think I remember an old man living there but I maybe im wrong ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Three charged after meth lab discovered in Lowv... 44 min rosa 2
Shady Ave blocked off 3 hr Truth 4
Well known theives Shannon Ball Mike Ball 8 hr Hurts 3
New Relationship Advice 17 hr Ignoranus 6
who got busted for drugs at a plus? Sat wondering 15
Lewis County Sheriff What a Joke Sat wondering 32
Lowville Derby Sat Exactly 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowville Mortgages