Why do people look down on others who have depression?

Posted in the Lowville Forum

not giving my name

Gouverneur, NY

#1 Dec 6, 2012
I have depression. Had it since I was 7 or 8. Seems like nobody wants to be around me. I don't talk much.
smile

Alplaus, NY

#2 Dec 6, 2012
Try not to focus so much on the negative but instead the positive. Life is beautiful, and no where near long enough. You have to enjoy and cherish every day because before you know it its over. Be happy and people will want to be around you. I know at times it may be hard but just be positive!
not giving my name

Gouverneur, NY

#3 Dec 6, 2012
smile wrote:
Try not to focus so much on the negative but instead the positive. Life is beautiful, and no where near long enough. You have to enjoy and cherish every day because before you know it its over. Be happy and people will want to be around you. I know at times it may be hard but just be positive!
I'll keep trying. Thank you :)
Tolerance is a virtue

Cary, NC

#4 Dec 7, 2012
Many who have never experienced depression don't understand it. If they don't understand it, then to some .... it doesn't exist.
Unfortunately, people don't like to hang around with people that make them feel down. Others like to give advice, and when the depressed person doesn't take their advice, the person giving the advice just gives up and moves on. Some people don't like to feel sorry for other people, so the person that needs friends is left sitting at home feeling sorry for themselves.
It seems like many people become depressed, so believe me you are not alone.
A long time ago I was told to read a book called, "Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy", by David D. Burns. It was pretty eye opening for me. Of course, not everything in the book will apply to everyone! It's the type of book that you really don't have to read cover to cover, if you don't want to. There's sections in the book that can help ANYONE. You can be severely depressed or just a little negative and if you follow some of the exercises, you'll feel better. It helped me through a rough patch, and I keep it on hand for reference and to let friends read (I have bought 4 copies by now).
Another thing I have done is to do volunteer work. It makes me feel good helping others less fortunate. I have volunteered at batter women's shelters and nursing homes and I do dog fostering now.(Dog fostering is when you take a dog from a shelter to rehabilitate (because they are timid and need socialization) or nurse back to health and when they are all better, you find a good home for them. You could see if Lewis county shelter offers this program. You should get all the food and medical needs for the dog for free in a program like this.)
Another thing that some people rave about is an over the counter herbal and natural remedy called Saint John's Wort. This has been used for centuries and in some countries it's called "the cure for a thousand diseases". I have a friend that's been taking it for 15 years and claims he doesn't get colds anymore. So I looked it up and it does have antiviral and antibiotic properties. My sister started taking it and it worked for her, both with moods and with physical sickness and she's a kindergarten teacher.
Have you ever tried therapy? That's sometimes good if there are good therapists to go to. You can ask around. Having a good reference can save effort and money.
Sometimes when a person thinks they are depressed, they really are not depressed. They may feel depressed for a reason, that is not depression. If they feel bad because of their situation it is not a mental problem. If there is something that's bringing you down maybe try your best to fix it. It may take a year or more, but if it's fixable, then start today.

GOOD LUCK! I know it's tough around the holidays and in winter for some people.
not giving my name

Gouverneur, NY

#5 Dec 8, 2012
Tolerance is a virtue wrote:
Many who have never experienced depression don't understand it. If they don't understand it, then to some .... it doesn't exist.
Unfortunately, people don't like to hang around with people that make them feel down. Others like to give advice, and when the depressed person doesn't take their advice, the person giving the advice just gives up and moves on. Some people don't like to feel sorry for other people, so the person that needs friends is left sitting at home feeling sorry for themselves.
It seems like many people become depressed, so believe me you are not alone.
A long time ago I was told to read a book called, "Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy", by David D. Burns. It was pretty eye opening for me. Of course, not everything in the book will apply to everyone! It's the type of book that you really don't have to read cover to cover, if you don't want to. There's sections in the book that can help ANYONE. You can be severely depressed or just a little negative and if you follow some of the exercises, you'll feel better. It helped me through a rough patch, and I keep it on hand for reference and to let friends read (I have bought 4 copies by now).
Another thing I have done is to do volunteer work. It makes me feel good helping others less fortunate. I have volunteered at batter women's shelters and nursing homes and I do dog fostering now.(Dog fostering is when you take a dog from a shelter to rehabilitate (because they are timid and need socialization) or nurse back to health and when they are all better, you find a good home for them. You could see if Lewis county shelter offers this program. You should get all the food and medical needs for the dog for free in a program like this.)
Another thing that some people rave about is an over the counter herbal and natural remedy called Saint John's Wort. This has been used for centuries and in some countries it's called "the cure for a thousand diseases". I have a friend that's been taking it for 15 years and claims he doesn't get colds anymore. So I looked it up and it does have antiviral and antibiotic properties. My sister started taking it and it worked for her, both with moods and with physical sickness and she's a kindergarten teacher.
Have you ever tried therapy? That's sometimes good if there are good therapists to go to. You can ask around. Having a good reference can save effort and money.
Sometimes when a person thinks they are depressed, they really are not depressed. They may feel depressed for a reason, that is not depression. If they feel bad because of their situation it is not a mental problem. If there is something that's bringing you down maybe try your best to fix it. It may take a year or more, but if it's fixable, then start today.
GOOD LUCK! I know it's tough around the holidays and in winter for some people.
I'm not as depressed as I used to be. I started counseling a few weeks ago. It's helping me but slowly. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to change. I've been like this basically my whole life so it's definitely not easy. My counselor just started using cognitive behavioral therapy on me. I'll have to see how it goes. I'll try your suggestions. Thank you :)
not giving my name

Gouverneur, NY

#6 Dec 8, 2012
Oh and I'm in a support group online. I know it sounds corny but it really does help to talk to people who are like me. Thanks for your advice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Croghan women charged with second-degree crimin... 4 hr the real Jeremy k... 11
Seeking Info 5 hr help 3
Common Core Opt-Out 23 hr food stamps eh 4
so loving this Sat oxy cotton and pi... 37
dating Sat Maggie 13
help Sat Your Back 3
Wedding Ring - Humiliating Sat Go Cart 6
More from around the web

Lowville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]