Ted

United States

#21 Aug 3, 2012
Unity wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you Bill, Merger would be the best thing Paducah & McCracken County could do. Our current situation have not worked. We have went from the 5th largest to 15 th over the last 20 years or so. Some people in our area wonder why the young people grow up and leave. Every Town or City that have Merge have prosper and move ahead, with higher paying jobs, Better roads, Better police service, Deposable service. I could go on. This is a no Brainer. Merge or be left behind.
If we went from 5th to 15th, then all 10 of the cities that passed us were non merged city's too, correct? There are only a couple of merged county city goverments in Kentucky and they have alwaysu been bigger than Paducah.
Ted

United States

#22 Aug 3, 2012
BIll wrote:
hummmm.....have you actually seen the number of businesses that have by-passed this city based on numbers of population?....Our City has and actual low city population,but with the county included it is a whole different outlook!!
No, I have not seen them. If you have, I would be interested to know who they were?
Ted

United States

#23 Aug 3, 2012
My guess wrote:
Well, I know that Van is about as two-faced and "speaks with a forked tongue" as they come. Just because he tells me something, I sure don't believe him at his word. And he may not personally have the money being thrown around, you bet'ch he has access to it. And why do you think he would be out of job? Someone has to fill the post, and "pretending" to be against the merger and not wanting the job is the fastest way to dupe people into electing him to the new position.
The problem I see is that you are so hung up on Newberry, or Paxton, or whoever, that you are gonna get this merger shouved down your throat without knowing how it happened. Newberry is NOT for it. Paxton is kinda for it, but compleatly ineffectual in getting it done. But there does seem to be somebody or some group raising lots of money and pushing hard to ram this through. While you guys get lost in your little petty feuds, they are organizing, spending money, and making progress.

Somebody, like this bill guy, has something to gain from this. He wants this bad. Imjustvhavent figured out what it is yet
Unity

United States

#24 Aug 3, 2012
Ted wrote:
<quoted text>If we went from 5th to 15th, then all 10 of the cities that passed us were non merged city's too, correct? There are only a couple of merged county city goverments in Kentucky and they have alwaysu been bigger than Paducah.
Half of the Cities are outside of Lexington which is a Merge City/County. But that's not the point. Our current situation is deteriorating. What doesn't grow and change slowly whitter an Die. Being against Merger is insanity, Doing the same thing over an over with no results. Merger would put everyone on the same playing field. The more Population you show on paper, The higher chances of landing higher paying jobs. Because companies are giving more incenitives at lower tax rate. Remmember every city merger is different. Paducah/ McCracken is proposing a Merge with 9 district. What ever district your in you can vote on what goes an what you don't want in your district.
LLLLLSSSSSMMMM

Paducah, KY

#25 Aug 4, 2012
NO NO NO WRONG!!!!!!

you have people in the local government who STOP others from starting businesses in McCracken County. The last thing you want to do if give theses dick weeds consolidated power. If you want a consolidated more powerful government then get the TRASH out of the local government first!!!!

Go downtown paducah and look at all the homes that were confiscated by the city government and remember, your neighborhood may be next, because somebody's is.
peacock

Paducah, KY

#26 Aug 4, 2012
Look for a locally owned non chain resturant in McCracken county that started in the last 10 years. Basically, they are not allowed unless owned by certain connected individuals.

they even wanted to regulate YARD SALES!!!

noon by 12

Paducah, KY

#27 Aug 4, 2012
I'm willing to go door to door before the election and hand out fliers and explain to people "HOW IT WORKS" in McCracken County

there's only a few set up to profit from the merger there are lots of us who can stop them
noon by 12

Paducah, KY

#28 Aug 4, 2012
city county and connected individuals

why should we give more control to a select group who wantto control everything, get them out and let's run it ourselves
Ted

United States

#29 Aug 4, 2012
Unity wrote:
<quoted text>
Half of the Cities are outside of Lexington which is a Merge City/County. But that's not the point. Our current situation is deteriorating. What doesn't grow and change slowly whitter an Die. Being against Merger is insanity, Doing the same thing over an over with no results. Merger would put everyone on the same playing field. The more Population you show on paper, The higher chances of landing higher paying jobs. Because companies are giving more incenitives at lower tax rate. Remmember every city merger is different. Paducah/ McCracken is proposing a Merge with 9 district. What ever district your in you can vote on what goes an what you don't want in your district.
That is the point. 10 cities in Kentucky passed us and THEY did it without merging with their county.
Sir xI

South Holland, IL

#30 Aug 4, 2012
Did Louisville join a merger and Lexington!? I am just curious if they did. It would be interesting what cities did and the population of those cities.
My guess

Princeton, KY

#31 Aug 4, 2012
In this article from 2011 linked below it says: Lexington and Louisville are the only merged city-county governments in Kentucky. Voters rejected merger proposals in Franklin and Scott counties in 1988, Daviess and Warren counties in 1990, Taylor County in 2002, and Franklin County again in 2004.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/08/15/1845649/me...
My guess

Princeton, KY

#32 Aug 4, 2012
Also there's this:

Louisville Before and After Merger
(2000 Census, US Census Bureau)
Before After

Area (sq. miles) 60 386

Population 256,231 693,784

Rank in U.S. City Size 67 16

Median household income $28,843 $39,457

Full article at:

http://www.google.com/url...
Tar

United States

#33 Aug 4, 2012
Jeffersons country had 693,000 people in it behoren THE mergel. 256,000 in THE city and THE rest outsider THE city. Naturally, wen you ombinden thema, THE Total was still 683,000. Nut nog you vallend it louisville, not Jeffersons country. Mccracken country has 65,000 of so. Were we to merge, paducah wild have 65,000, but they woud still be THE same people.

Note how Munch THE averge incompetent of Jeffersons country droppend after THE merger. Louisville had all THE low incom peppel and all the perplex with jobs lied in THE country. Munch like heer.
Tar

United States

#34 Aug 4, 2012
Man, my iPad is doping nummer on my spelling.
A damn Smith

Paducah, KY

#35 Aug 4, 2012
Nobody is fooled by this stupid numbers game. You want industry? Make it a right to work state, until then you can more or less forget it. Paducah outlawed smoking in restaurants and that that was all the fascism I needed to see to know that I will never vote for a merger. Higher taxes and City Hall my new boss. No thanks.
Unity

United States

#36 Aug 4, 2012
Ted wrote:
<quoted text>That is the point. 10 cities in Kentucky passed us and THEY did it without merging with their county.
It's hard to believe you can't see the Oppertunity with Merger. It Boggles the mind. If we were located just 20 miles or so outside of Lexington or Louisville, We probally want need to think about Merger. People locate an Live in these smaller towns commute to Lexington to go to School or Work. Because Larger towns has more Jobs. It just the Fact. Paducah doesn't have that Luxury. So we need to work together as One. City & County.
Tar

United States

#37 Aug 4, 2012
Unity wrote:
<quoted text>
It's hard to believe you can't see the Oppertunity with Merger. It Boggles the mind. If we were located just 20 miles or so outside of Lexington or Louisville, We probally want need to think about Merger. People locate an Live in these smaller towns commute to Lexington to go to School or Work. Because Larger towns has more Jobs. It just the Fact. Paducah doesn't have that Luxury. So we need to work together as One. City & County.
No its not. I lived in the city. I moved out of THE city cause i did not like it. They told me how often to cut my grass, how many vehicles i could park under my carport, where and if i could smoke. Than They spent my taxs on silly projects that i did not want. than i wachtend everyone that could move away. Towards the end, i was outnumbered by people that did not have jobs. They all wanted to tell me how to give my money to them.

The city is failing. Dont want to be any part of in ever again.

By the way, i lived in louisville too. No one in the country voted for merger there, either.

Difference here is that we have more people in THE county than THE city does. Not gonna pass is iets doen Fairly.
Tar

United States

#38 Aug 4, 2012
My iPad has switchend to german while discussing this topic. If i did nok knowhow better, i woud take this as some kind of sign
tna

Whiting, IN

#39 Aug 4, 2012
Unity wrote:
<quoted text>
You have some good points, but I am still undecided. I don't understand what you mean that once we are merged everybody will be on a level playing field. Are you suggesting a level playing field.with bigger cities such as Louisville? I don't see it. And where is all of this government money coming from that everybody is talking about. We will not be actually gaining any population so we will not.be getting any more elected representatives, so how will we have more influence to get more money. And as far as economic development, I think most businesses look our entire area, not just Paducah and McCracken County. Our lack of a mjor airport would keep allot of businesses from locating in our area.
Unity

United States

#40 Aug 4, 2012
tna wrote:
<quoted text>You have some good points, but I am still undecided. I don't understand what you mean that once we are merged everybody will be on a level playing field. Are you suggesting a level playing field.with bigger cities such as Louisville? I don't see it. And where is all of this government money coming from that everybody is talking about. We will not be actually gaining any population so we will not.be getting any more elected representatives, so how will we have more influence to get more money. And as far as economic development, I think most businesses look our entire area, not just Paducah and McCracken County. Our lack of a mjor airport would keep allot of businesses from locating in our area.
What I mean by level playing field is, Right now only City resident can vote for Mayor or Commissioners. With Merger the County resident could vote for Mayor or anything else in McCracken county boundaries. If we have just one or two big Manufactory type business producing good paying jobs, It would spiral accross the County an Region to other jobs. To make a long Story Short The current way is not Producing those type of Jobs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tuna Can 15 min Marks friend 12
Nagpur se gand marwani hai 25 min JOY 24
Advice for getting foot in door with IUOE Local... 2 hr IWantToWork 1
Why 106.7 SUCKS! 2 hr Withers 3
traggiiccc 2 hr Callie 2
girl named kelly 3 hr well 1
Captians Bar and Grill 3 hr someone from the ... 10
More from around the web

Lowes People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE