people kill people; not guns or knives!!
ThePeople

United States

#22 Dec 18, 2012
Guns will be out there regardless if banned or not.

The gun is not to blame, the goverment is not to blame, the parents is not to blame, the society is not to blame, the person to blame is the one who did it.

The saddest thing of this tragedy is, the non stop media coverage, blogs, exposure of it all.
I thank the media for the information when it happened, but no reason to continually subject the family to the constant reminder of what happened. I say let the families mourn in peace.

My prayers and thoughts go out to the familes. May God heal them the best He can. GOD SPEED!
concerned citizen

Gastonia, NC

#23 Dec 18, 2012
Truly Independent wrote:
<quoted text>
My point was that some of these things I have listed were things that people crave, but yet CAN live without. How many deaths each year can be linked directly to alcohol or smoking? Why is there not an outcry for banning or creating stricter regulations for those two things? Peoples' interests vary, so therefore I do not believe that you, nor the government, should infringe upon my constitutional rights just because of a few bad apples out of millions just in this nation alone. The mental health system and gun control are two totally different issues and you, or anyone else, should not intertwine the two. Here's another poor, yet good example: Someone is pulling a double shift at work and to stay awake they drink lots of coffee. On the way home after 16 or more hours, they fall asleep at the wheel and crash, killing themself and possibly another. Do you now blame the driver, or the coffee makers for helping to keep this person awake far past when they normally would have been asleep? I believe that as a society, we are more about finding someone else to blame. We should blame the person, and not their means. We should not punish the majority, in order to serve justice on the minority. You might not be an owner of a gun, or high powered rifles, but find something else you take for granted each day, and then ask yourself how you'd feel if all the sudden someone wanted to take it from you.
I acknowledge your opinion and your right to it even though I do disagree. I feel that in a democracy one has to recognize the need at times that societal rule takes precedence eg. banning assualt weapons which are not comparable to a craving or even a right in my opinion. One more observation, in reviewing all the posts on this subject, check out the judged "X's'. Even those who advocate the freedom to possess firearms including assault weapons as a constitutional right.... fail to sanction others'right to disagree. A paradox!!!!!
Cletus Crockett

Robbins, TN

#24 Dec 18, 2012
Hobby vs horror wrote:
http://www.charlotteobserver.c om/2012/12/17/3732551/the-choi ce-on-weapons-hobby-vs.html
You don't need to own a weapon capable of mass killing in order to protect your family. If the argument is to own one for the
When the damn drug infested liberals break down my door I want to make sure they are harmless to my family when my clips are empty.
objective independent

Gastonia, NC

#25 Dec 18, 2012
Wow!!!!! and you really want me to be wary of the liberals...something is missing here????

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#26 Dec 18, 2012
Can anyone define "assault weapon"? Most of the public can not! Gun control advocates created the "assault weapon" moniker in an attempt to confuse the public over the difference between semi-automatic, which include many small and large game hunting rifles, and fully automatic assault rifles. According to the Dept. of Justice, rifles of any kind, including semi-automatic firearms, are used in only 1.3% of crimes committed using firearms...nationwide, and that same DOJ, including Attorney General Eric Holder, is responsible for smuggling over 2000 semi-automatic firearms into Mexico, causing the death of a border patrol agent and an unknown amount of civilians in Mexico and the US, in an attempt to create the illusion of massive gun smuggling in order to drum up support for the reimplementation of the federal ban! Now our useless govt is using these recent tragedies, exploiting the victims who've lost loved ones, to pull on the heart strings of the govt educated dumb masses in an attempt to restrict the sell/possession of such firearms....which is a right given by the Second Amendment.
I agree, guns don't kill people, people kill people! To say guns make it easier is a cop out.
Who is responsible for the recent tragedies? Look in the mirror.....our govt and our society as a whole is the problem, not the guns.
Cliff

Charlotte, NC

#27 Dec 19, 2012
Keith F wrote:
Mentally ill and emotionally damaged people with GUNS and knives kill people. To eliminate the guns is not genocide, to get rid of all the people with guns would be genocide. This is a very simple formula. If these weapons of mass destruction were to be outlawed, then those with guns who are not law enforcement could immediately be identified and fired upon without a question of whether they mean harm or not. To have a gun is to mean harm against someone or something. It is very simple. These are instruments of death. Every gun owner carries and probably has training to use an instrument of death. May God forgive us as a nation. But it appears that we are seeing the ramifications of our bad acts. Children dying in our schools. Need it be your child before you agree to take the guns?
Tim McVeigh, pickup truck, fertilizer, items purchased at any hardware store, simple detonator. Didn't need a permit. Killed over 200 people in OK. Should every farmer carrying fertilizer on his pickup be shot without question or local hardware be closed because they could possibly be contributing to a weapon of mass destruction. McVeigh had to be mentally ill to commit this act although he did not meet the court's definition of mentally ill. What's the test for how mentally ill a person is if they have not admitted to thoughts of proclivities toward killing and if said person can own a pickup and fertilizer. Sane or insane, if a person desires to kill, then he will kill.

Since: Jan 12

United States

#28 Dec 19, 2012
People kill people. Guns don't kill people, they just make it a whole lot easier.

As gun owners, we have to realize that we live in a democracy, and if it is the majority's decision to place heavy restrictions on guns, then that is what will happen.

The 2nd Amendmment is just that: an Amendment. The right to keep and bear arms could be wiped out with another amendment. While that's not likely to happen anytime soon, it is likely to happen someday if we keep having these massive shootings.

It is however extremely liken to happen that a liberal leaning Supreme Court could choose to interpret the 2nd Amendment in a way that does not follow the original intent of the Founding Fathers.

Conclusion: We had all better stock up on whatever we need now, because either prices are going up or it will just be unavailable.
Bob

Charlotte, NC

#29 Dec 19, 2012
Am I the only one not buying the official reports of the Aurora and Sandy Hook shootings? If you investigate the Police scanner audio logs and the eye witness accounts, you'll discover several major innaccuracies in what is being reported.

Since: Sep 11

United States

#30 Dec 19, 2012
Bob wrote:
Am I the only one not buying the official reports of the Aurora and Sandy Hook shootings? If you investigate the Police scanner audio logs and the eye witness accounts, you'll discover several major innaccuracies in what is being reported.
What are those innaccuracies...curious to know?
Bob

Charlotte, NC

#31 Dec 19, 2012
This is just 1, but I could go on for days. The medical examiner asserts that all wounds were caused by rifle or other long weapons, and police say the school was littered with 223 rifle casings, however, Adam Lanza was found dead at the school with only hand guns, a rifle was later found in his car's trunk. He never fired a rifle.
nobody else

Atlanta, GA

#32 Dec 19, 2012
Keith F wrote:
And do not forget that the republican party and NRA are guilty of those children like all the rest dying. The republican party fault valiantly to reduce public programs like mental health, they privatized and put no inspection to the private sector to insure that the mentally ill were being helped, controlled or separated from society. How safe do those politicians feel now? Their goal was to just arm America through the lobbying efforts of the NRA so everyone will have a gun and just shoot at will. Great answer folks, that puts us that much closer to anarchy. Do you think Cheney was mean, intoxicated or just stupid when he shot his friend in the face? And that was a controlled scene with men who had experience using fire arms. Republicans and NRA wants everyone to have those weapons of death. What a great banner to fly....not!
You are nuts!!!!!!!!!!
R U IMPLYING COVER_UP

Charlotte, NC

#33 Dec 19, 2012
Bob wrote:
This is just 1, but I could go on for days. The medical examiner asserts that all wounds were caused by rifle or other long weapons, and police say the school was littered with 223 rifle casings, however, Adam Lanza was found dead at the school with only hand guns, a rifle was later found in his car's trunk. He never fired a rifle.
WE HAVE ALL NIGHT..GO ON WHACKJOB.
WE ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH CONPSIRACY THEORISTS.
Lunatic Fringe

Charlotte, NC

#34 Dec 19, 2012
R U IMPLYING COVER_UP wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when does questioning the media and stating facts make you a whack job. Maybe you need to wake up and find out for yourself. Is your paradigm too fragile?
Bob

Hamer, SC

#35 Dec 19, 2012
R U IMPLYING COVER_UP wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing I'm implying is your foolishness.
curious

Charlotte, NC

#36 Dec 19, 2012
Bob wrote:
well bob, still waiting!! i guess you are the only one.
Lunatic Fringe

Charlotte, NC

#37 Dec 19, 2012
you can lead sheep to water, but you can't make them drink.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#38 Dec 19, 2012
Malcolm III wrote:
People kill people. Guns don't kill people, they just make it a whole lot easier.
As gun owners, we have to realize that we live in a democracy, and if it is the majority's decision to place heavy restrictions on guns, then that is what will happen.
The 2nd Amendmment is just that: an Amendment. The right to keep and bear arms could be wiped out with another amendment. While that's not likely to happen anytime soon, it is likely to happen someday if we keep having these massive shootings.
It is however extremely liken to happen that a liberal leaning Supreme Court could choose to interpret the 2nd Amendment in a way that does not follow the original intent of the Founding Fathers.
Conclusion: We had all better stock up on whatever we need now, because either prices are going up or it will just be unavailable.
Although I agree with almost all of your post, the problem lies within the second sentence. Our founding fathers, under Article IV Section 4 of the Constitution, "guarantees to every state in this union a Republican form of government".... Conversely, the word Democracy is not mentioned even once in the Constitution. Just after the completion and signing of the Constitution, in reply to a woman's inquiry as to the type of government the Founders had created, Benjamin Franklin said, "A Republic, if you can keep it." It's fairly obvious we haven't.
Mr Perfect

Belmont, NC

#40 Dec 20, 2012
I do remember the first reports that came out on MSN. It was reported that the assault rifle was found in the back seat and he had used a Glock and a Sig Saur handgun. I,m not the only one that remembers this.
Agreeable

Belmont, NC

#41 Dec 20, 2012
Turns out it was a shotgun in the car. The main weapon he used had 30 round magazines.
Mr Perfect

Belmont, NC

#42 Dec 20, 2012
I just attributed it to poor reporting. Sometimes the media gets caught up in the mayhem. Right now my prayers go out to the families of the victims.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Crime 15 mins ago 1:11 p.m.Four people charged ... (Jul '16) Jan 11 Uknownightmare 6
News Lincolnton Chick-Fil-A hearing on city agenda Jan 8 Robin 19
News Confederate flag, monument rally set for Saturd... (Aug '15) Jan 7 Enter Username 34
Way to go Mayor Larry Simonds (Mar '15) Aug '17 John k-hole 6
News McCrory to address public about gas price gougi... (Sep '16) Oct '16 Bendover 9
News Police: Teacher had sex with student Updated at (Nov '15) Jun '16 Ohm a God 15
News Hundreds turn out for chance of finding job (Apr '13) Apr '13 Sticky Heels 2

Lowell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowell Mortgages