Food Lion Closing
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Curious

Gastonia, NC

#1 Jan 21, 2013
http://obswhatsinstore.blogspot.com/2013/01/b... Hate to see anyone lose their jobs, but was anyone really surprised this was coming?
Borious

Gastonia, NC

#2 Jan 21, 2013
Curious wrote:
http://obswhatsinstore.blogspo t.com/2013/01/belmont-food-lio n-to-close-as-delhaize.html Hate to see anyone lose their jobs, but was anyone really surprised this was coming?
You love it. People like you want to see people be as miserable as you are. You are full of shit. Go away.
Curious

Gastonia, NC

#3 Jan 21, 2013
Borious wrote:
<quoted text>
You love it. People like you want to see people be as miserable as you are. You are full of shit. Go away.
Does your mommy know you talk like that?
Redrum

Charlotte, NC

#4 Jan 21, 2013
That place is a turd hole anyway...

Since: Jan 12

Gastonia, NC

#5 Jan 21, 2013
I rarely shop @ Food Lion, but I would have to imagine that Aldi took a serious chunk of their business away from them.

Personally - I keep hoping for a Trader Joe's!
Borious

Gastonia, NC

#6 Jan 21, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text> Does your mommy know you talk like that?
My mom passed away a month ago.
Agreeable

Belmont, NC

#7 Jan 22, 2013
No way could Belmont support a Trader Joe's. I don't see anything taking that Food Lion spot really. That shopping center is dead ugly, as the one across the road. Nobody moved into the auto whatever store vacancy either. It's too bad, I don't really know what they could do to make that area more desirable.
Realist1962

Concord, NC

#8 Jan 22, 2013
How much you want to be it becomes a thrift store? Maybe a Goodwill at best. That would serve the community at large unlike a Trader Joes. I went there once and thought what's the big deal? They have about 1/3 of what I buy on a weekly basis and the prices weren't that great. I say we should be happy to have Aldi's and quit wishing for something our demographics don't support.
Butt Hole

Charlotte, NC

#9 Jan 22, 2013
Wake up people; Belmont doesn't even support Belmont. The people from Gastonia, Charlotte, Mt. Holly, Lake Wylie, Clover and people coming off 85 support most of downtown. Yea, we have our regular old spinster drunks at BF&B, the smelly redneck trailer park drunks at Friends, the Ghosts of Belmont at JAX LOL, The I don't know what kind of regulars at The Bean. I hope they have a better business plan with their brewery. I think The Belmont Brewery is adequate and their signature specialty drink should be Beer Enegmas Daily. That will get all the drunks get drunk quicker and out of downtown quicker too. What do ya thunk?
Thunker

Gastonia, NC

#11 Jan 22, 2013
Butt Hole wrote:
Wake up people; Belmont doesn't even support Belmont. The people from Gastonia, Charlotte, Mt. Holly, Lake Wylie, Clover and people coming off 85 support most of downtown. Yea, we have our regular old spinster drunks at BF&B, the smelly redneck trailer park drunks at Friends, the Ghosts of Belmont at JAX LOL, The I don't know what kind of regulars at The Bean. I hope they have a better business plan with their brewery. I think The Belmont Brewery is adequate and their signature specialty drink should be Beer Enegmas Daily. That will get all the drunks get drunk quicker and out of downtown quicker too. What do ya thunk?
I thunk you're an a-hole.

Since: Jan 12

Lake Butler, FL

#12 Jan 22, 2013
Trader Joe's isn't expensive, nor is it incredibly cheap. I wasn't all that impressed the first time I went to one either. I used to go by the one in the Universty area once every other week when I was working in the area as it was convenient, and now I miss their prepared meals and frozen foods. Bi Lo would still be my goto store though.

Belmont's demographics is changing and becoming more affluent. I could see a Trader Joes being supported before a Harris Teeter or Lowe's Food.
Long time resident

Gastonia, NC

#13 Jan 22, 2013
Let's see- before the growth spurt, Belmont had Harris-Teeter, Winn-Dixie, Bi-Lo and Food Lion. Now we are left with Bi-Lo and Walmart ( Aldi doesn't count). What did our grocery market in? One word - WALMART. We told ya so.
Long time resident

Gastonia, NC

#14 Jan 22, 2013
Also- Belmont is a " sick" place....we can only support a couple of grocery stores but we have six pharmacies ( would have been 7 if Rite Aid was still open)?
Realist1962

Concord, NC

#15 Jan 22, 2013
Long time resident wrote:
Also- Belmont is a " sick" place....we can only support a couple of grocery stores but we have six pharmacies ( would have been 7 if Rite Aid was still open)?
Not necessarily "sick", just over medicated! Compliments of SPFP and doctors in general. It's the way the system works.
Genuis

Charlotte, NC

#16 Jan 22, 2013
Agreeable wrote:
No way could Belmont support a Trader Joe's. I don't see anything taking that Food Lion spot really. That shopping center is dead ugly, as the one across the road. Nobody moved into the auto whatever store vacancy either. It's too bad, I don't really know what they could do to make that area more desirable.
Make the entire area part of Mt Holly or Charlotte; just have to reconfigure/extend the Catawba bridge up to Taco Bell. It goes with that part of 74 going east right up to Nichols at Old Dowd.
Agreeable

Belmont, NC

#17 Jan 22, 2013
I'm pretty surprised the Sake Express has done so well over there. It's got no direct road access and it's pretty expensive. Do they have I-85 signage? I never noticed any.
Agreeable too

Charlotte, NC

#18 Jan 22, 2013
I have never seen interstate signage. Call it good food at good prices, word of mouth, and they do advertise in Gaston Alive CONSISTENTLY. Good for them. Now, they have three or four locations after the first one opened at the locale we are speaking of across from Food Lion.
observant

Gastonia, NC

#19 Jan 22, 2013
Sake has several billboards on wilkinson blvd and multiple locations but they could be more consistent with food quality.
Long time resident

Gastonia, NC

#20 Jan 23, 2013
Sake is one of the best restaurants in Belmont. Consistently great food at good prices. And - the kids are friendly and mannerable and take care of their customers.
Statewide

Gastonia, NC

#21 Jan 23, 2013
Hummm Access is key to jobs and business success. How about a parkway!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jonas Brothers patriarch to open Belmont restau... (Sep '15) 20 hr Young Voter 11
Child Molesters of Gaston County Sat Coach Mack 6
News Sex offender charged with threatening Lincolnto... May 26 Director of Athle... 7
Why Belmont has an Undying Love for Alcoholics May 26 Lake Dweller 8
What happened to the Cramerton Christian Academ... May 26 Dick 5
allison love May 26 Ronnie Mund 12
getting to the truth. (Mar '10) May 26 CGJ 37
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowell Mortgages