WZZM13 - Vanished: Searching for Dean...

WZZM13 - Vanished: Searching for Deanie Peters

There are 45 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from May 23, 2007, titled WZZM13 - Vanished: Searching for Deanie Peters. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

"Everybody knew about it. There was nobody who didn't know in this area, for hundreds of miles out," ponders Ken Kleinheksel.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

MeT

Deerfield, IL

#21 May 24, 2007
I agree with Mr. Herbert in that we all need to look at every side and theory out there. It doesn't matter what he said or she said or who heard what and when. She is out there somewhere and someone knows about it. It doesn't matter who "botched" the job then, let's just think about the here and now. It doesn't matter if you weren't "in the state" at the time, it's just good that you care, it doesn't matter if you knew her, it's just good that you want to know what happened to her and are willing to go the extra mile to find out in order to put her families' minds to rest. God Bless you William - take care and stay strong and know that even if you don't know us, there are many people who care.
Tina

Riverside, CA

#22 May 24, 2007
I certainly hope she is found, and the person/people responsible for her disappearance are brought to justice. Although there will never be complete "closure", this would at least help a little. My prayers are with the family.
Alicia

Grand Rapids, MI

#23 May 24, 2007
Does anyone know who to contact about what is or is not being done? Is there someone I/we can call or write with such force and quanity?
As far as this person who wrote he knew something about something about the guy from Lowell...if you do, do the right thing, if not, get out of this forum & grow up, no-one needs that.
As far as the 2 women on here, c'mon....
William, again, there are people out there who want to help in every way, and even though you don't know any or all of us, we do think about this, it may not be as frequent as you or you family, but your sister will not be forgotten.
Krystin

Holland, MI

#24 May 24, 2007
Alicia wrote:
Does anyone know who to contact about what is or is not being done? Is there someone I/we can call or write with such force and quanity?
As far as this person who wrote he knew something about something about the guy from Lowell...if you do, do the right thing, if not, get out of this forum & grow up, no-one needs that.
William, again, there are people out there who want to help in every way, and even though you don't know any or all of us, we do think about this, it may not be as frequent as you or you family, but your sister will not be forgotten.
Even though Deanie's case is not actively open you may always send tips and leads to the Kent County Sheriff's Department.
anonymous

Rockford, IL

#25 May 24, 2007
For all of those that have lost someone answers or no...people have difficulty with that loss, sometimes moving on is truly the best thing. Will, let go, I love you and your family: quit reading this 'forum' I know how much this is affecting you(even if you won't admit it). Just because you don’t obsess does not mean you don’t miss her, love her and hope for answers, but for your sanity…quit going back to this site.
Angie

Arvada, CO

#26 May 24, 2007
Alicia wrote:
Write the attorney general. Call Kent County Sheriffs Dept. and ask that the case be reopened. Anything helps. The public pulse is a great way to get more people involved.
Anonymous

Los Alamitos, CA

#27 May 24, 2007
Deanie is my cousin. It amazes me how many people care about her, still. Since I lived in CA at the time of her disappearance I never felt how much this stirred a community. I appreciate that she is not forgotten. I know she has always remained in my prayers. I pray for peace--peace for her, where ever she might be, peace for my family to go on, and peace of mind for those who may know more.
Peter

Angier, NC

#28 May 24, 2007
I was a senior at Forest Hills Central when Deanie disappeared. Does anyone know of a specific investigator assigned to the case as I have information that may or may not be relevant but would like to pass it along just in case it will help.
Angie

Arvada, CO

#29 May 24, 2007
Peter wrote:
I was a senior at Forest Hills Central when Deanie disappeared. Does anyone know of a specific investigator assigned to the case as I have information that may or may not be relevant but would like to pass it along just in case it will help.
Hi Peter, you may call the Kent County Sheriffs Dept.. and ask for the investigator in charge. Although, I believe there is a detective by the name of Robert Davis, who is in charge of the cold case dept. He might also be interested. I also know that Ken Kleinheksel follows up any leads that he receives. I'd prefer not to give out his phone number here. But, if you are interested in contacting him, I will send it through email. You may reach me through email at [email protected]
Beth

Grand Haven, MI

#30 May 24, 2007
Krystin,

I don't know you or your affiliation with the Kent County Sherrifs Dept., but I am appalled that you would post names on here. Let them decide for themselves if they want their name broadcast.

I went to school with Deanie.... we were classmates. Her disappearance has affected me throughout my life.

There has to be someone who knows what happened to her. I remember being told in class not to speak about her. As kids, we weren't encouraged to talk... and I fear that has kept someone quiet throughout the years.

My thoughts and prayers for Deanie,her family, and friends will continue.
Krystin

Holland, MI

#31 May 24, 2007
Beth wrote:
Krystin,
I don't know you or your affiliation with the Kent County Sherrifs Dept., but I am appalled that you would post names on here. Let them decide for themselves if they want their name broadcast.
I went to school with Deanie.... we were classmates. Her disappearance has affected me throughout my life.
There has to be someone who knows what happened to her. I remember being told in class not to speak about her. As kids, we weren't encouraged to talk... and I fear that has kept someone quiet throughout the years.
As I wouldn't expect you to understand, I asked with my initial speaking with these ladies not to ever mention my name as I had a family to protect. Both of these woman decided to still give out my name and there son decided to go out and tell it to people in the Lowell area where I am from. I no longer fear the individuals involved with Deanie's disappearance and only hope they will realize that I will never give up until Deanie is found and there is justice in this case. So before anyone else wants to call me out on anything think about what these two individuals could have done to me regarding this case and that I was only someone who called them to give them a lead in the initial part of my involvement. I now have decided that all of my information and any information given to me by others will go directly to Mark Fletcher who is part of the new "cold case" team. When they are ready to reopen Deanie's case all of the information will be in his hands.......not in the hands of two woman who are willing to put my family in jeopardy.
Krystin

Holland, MI

#32 May 24, 2007
Beth wrote:
Krystin,
I have no affiliation with Kent County Sheriff's Department nor do I represent myself as such. I just feel that all tips and leads should go to the proper authorities.
Angie

Arvada, CO

#33 May 24, 2007
Beth wrote:
Krystin,
Hi Beth, Thanks for writing. I agree that someone knows something and for whatever reason they are not willing/or feel they can't/shouldn't talk about it. Hopefully this latest exposure of Deanie on Tv 13 will help to bring us one step closer to solving this case. Deanie was a very dear friend of mine and like you...it has affected me for 26 long years. Your heart is in the right place...don't ever let anyone make you feel differently about that. Thanks for caring. Please feel free to contact me. My email address is [email protected]
Anonymous

Fort Collins, CO

#34 May 25, 2007
The great thing about this media attention on this case is that I received a call from someone that has information including landmarks but is very afraid for their safety. I have referred them to silent observer and also the investigative division of the Kent County Sherriff's Dept. Way to go WZZM.. Thank You
All information is Helpful..
Jenna

Crystal, MI

#35 May 25, 2007
I have no affiliation with this case, and had never even heard of it until WZZM did their story.

In reading the comments, obviously the years don't diminish the love and dedication and sense of loss and pain for this family. To the people who know something and are not disclosing it to the authorities, I am sure that the years have not diminished your fear and guilt either. And until you do say something, you will live with this weight on your shoulders for the rest of your life. It will not go away. You are giving in to that fear, and letting it conquer you. Why would you choose to live your life this way?

If you open your mouth, even annonymously, and tell the authorities what you know, you would be amazed at the relief that you will feel in having this burden released. Then you can take pride in knowing that you did the right thing, and maybe contributed to the finding of Deanie.

I would much rather live my life with a clear concience, than with a burden. Don't be a coward. Until you face your fears, they will continue to consume you. Have the guts to come forward and say something. This family must be in great pain. And you may be able to help relieve it. Be a hero instead. You don't want to live the rest of your life in fear, do you? Do the right thing.
Amy

Colorado Springs, CO

#36 May 30, 2007
I can't believe how much I still think about Deanie. And I talk about her too. To my husband and kids. Deanie and I had math and study hall together. I remember talking silly girl stuff; you know, like painting our fingernails. We skipped out of study hall one day and ate some cake from my sister's graduation party. We ate it in the bathroom.:)

Now it's been 26 years since her disappearance and my heart still breaks. Like Angie and Beth,(I know you both), this has affected me my whole life.

I was so hopeful after the 25 year anniversary and the coverage in the media that a cold case team might pick it up and run with it. Maybe they still will.

I don't know how much credibility to give to the Lowell story, but if there is anything at all to it, I hope they do the right thing.

To Deanie's family: please know that she will never be forgotten. I've never been able to directly tell you how much she meant to me. My thoughts and prayers are with you always.

To all those who knew Deanie and even those who didn't, keep the word out there. Keep this in the media and lets get someone motived to reopen this and get it solved.

KATHY

United States

#37 May 30, 2007
DEANIE WAS MY VERY BEST FRIEND. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T THINK OF HER AND HER FAMILY. I AM SO GREATFUL FOR THE OUTPOURING OF LOVE AND TRUE CONCERN FROM PEOPLE. IT'S AMAZING TO ME THAT HER CASE HAS STILL YET TO BE SOLVED. HOW DOES SOMEONE JUST FANISH? AND 26 YEARS LATER PEOPLE WHO KNOW SOMETHING ARE STILL HESISTANT TO SAY SOMETHING. THIS WAS SOMEONES DAUGHTER,SISTER,FAMILY AND FRIEND THE PAIN IS UNDISCRIBABLE THE LOSS UNEXPLAINABLE. FOR THOSE WHO MIGHT KNOW SOMETHING BIG OR SMALL PLEASE STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND CALL KSDP OR SILENT OBSERVER. GOD BLESS EACH OF YOU FOR YOUR REPONSES YOU TRULY ARE EARTH ANGELS.AND TO WILLIAM PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AT kat4weeks @yahoo.com GOD BLESS YOU!!!
Ashley

Colorado Springs, CO

#38 Dec 19, 2008
My mother, Angela, has been looking for Deanie for as long as i can remember. We still have a picture of Deanie and My mom is always talking about her. I have been there to see the pain that it has put my mother into. I cant believe that something so cruel could happen to someone so nice. There are countless nights where I have seen my mother cry over this and I feel so helpless. It not only puts friends and family into pain, but it has also pained us to see them suffer. Please, if you have any hints, or anything at all, please say something.
27 years.
Wishing I could have met her.
Ashley
porchlight

Walterboro, SC

#40 Nov 17, 2009
Cold Case Team to update Deanie Peters
Press conference set for Thursday
Updated: Monday, 16 Nov 2009, 5:28 PM EST
Published : Monday, 16 Nov 2009, 5:28 PM EST

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.(WOOD)- Cold case investigators are getting ready to talk now about one of West Michigan's biggest mysteries, the decades-old disappearance of Deanie Peters.

The Kent County Sheriff's Department scheduled a news conference for Thursday on the case, which the Metro Cold Case team has been working for a year.

Sources close to the investigation told 24 Hour News 8 that detectives will not make a major announcement.

Instead, they're expected to again ask for the public's help in finding out what happened to the 14-year-old.

Deanie Peters disappeared from her brother's wrestling practice at Forest Hill Central Middle School in February of 1981.
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/kent_......
Lakeshore

Grand Haven, MI

#41 Nov 18, 2009
The Cold Case teams have been successful in the past. I hope they are able to figure out what happened.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Body of Rockford man found in Flat River after ... (Oct '10) Jan '17 Kimhelmsbobbysma 50
Bobby snide the career criminal (Jan '16) Jan '17 Thatdudeisajoke 12
Zack Dale (Jul '13) Dec '16 Ralph Nader 9
Solid Wood Furniture For Sale Wrexham (Jun '16) Jun '16 ayobangkit 1
Review: Oosha's Haircutters (Jan '13) Jun '16 Sammy Lopez 9
Crazy driver in a silver Malibu (May '15) Nov '15 backdoor man 2
News Hit and run accident causes house fire (Oct '07) Sep '15 Never forget 61

Lowell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowell Mortgages