Attwood brings jobs to Lowell

The Attwood Corporation will add 50 jobs to its Lowell facility when it transfers work from Texas to Michigan. Full Story
missing_the_obvi ous

Holland, MI

#1 Jul 15, 2008
This is good news.

Who will fill the jobs? Locals or transfers?

The ultimate question however is whether the workers who are losing their jobs elsewhere in this state are qulaified to fill these positions?
Mitzi

Caledonia, MI

#2 Jul 15, 2008
The 50 jobs will have to pay a really good salary to offset the potential one million four hundred thousand in tax breaks for Attwood that our state goverment has awarded them.
Keep in mind the short fall from those lost taxes will be paid by someone....what to guess who?

Nitzi
RAB

Ionia, MI

#3 Jul 15, 2008
While I'm certainly happy that these jobs will stay in Michigan, for now, we all have to understand that the tax breaks the state gives have to be made up somewhere. Companies are offered millions in tax breaks and while that can create jobs those tax dollars have to be made up somewhere. How was this done last time.......that's right, more income taxes being taken from us all. You just can't makeup those kinds of tax breaks by continuing to burden the tax paying residents in all sorts of new taxes, fees, etc, and then cut services. At some point these businesses need to pay their fair share.
Make some sense

Pinconning, MI

#4 Jul 15, 2008
While any news of additional jobs is good, this one ranks fairly low. As said $1.4 Million in tax breaks for 50 jobs BU 2015- that's SEVEN YEARS AWAY!!
Make some sense

Pinconning, MI

#5 Jul 15, 2008
My bad "BY", not "BU"
Mitzi

Caledonia, MI

#6 Jul 16, 2008
And as we have seen repeatedly with other companies, as soon as the time limit expires on the tax breaks the company will pull out of the state. Perhaps this is why Atwood is taking the jobs out of Texas.

Mitzi
anonymous

United States

#7 Jul 16, 2008
Attwood is pulling jobs from Texas to Lowell to go lean and consolidate plants...the tax incentive is not the main reason. It's just smart business. The workers in Texas did not decide to come up, but were given the opportunity. They are being give good packages also. The new jobs in MI will be a great addition to Lowell.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Commission wants Servaas off bench (Feb '08) Dec 16 Servaas is a clown 232
Review: Haman Hounds Dec 7 sharen van santen 1
Do they drug test Saranac Teachers? (Aug '11) Nov 24 Karma Train 6
Chris Updyke is spreading STD (May '14) Nov '14 Chris Updyke Sara... 6
Davenport University president pleads guilty; a... (Oct '08) Nov '14 Terry 2
Davenport president accused of drunken driving ... (Sep '08) Nov '14 Doc 2
Review: Oosha's Haircutters (Jan '13) Sep '14 Joey Lo 8
Lowell Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web