Do you remember????
BillPalmer

Snellville, GA

#18466 Jul 28, 2013
Lowell wrote:
<quoted text> I barely remember the rag man...I do remember being at Hampton Beach and a man with a horse and wagon selling fruit and SCREAMING out PEACHES. I never laughed so hard in my life!!
In my neighborhood (Liberty Sreet and Powell), nobody had a refrigerator it seems. We had a man driving a horse and wagon loaded with ice blocks up Powell Street every few days selling blocks for ice boxes. I remember chasing behind the wagon with other kids to grab loose chunks of ice to suck on.
The Mayor Man

Dracut, MA

#18467 Jul 31, 2013
Looks like the Mayor is confirming that it was huge mistake putting him in office
Sla

Lowell, MA

#18468 Aug 1, 2013
The Mayor Man wrote:
Looks like the Mayor is confirming that it was huge mistake putting him in office
That's an understatement.
Mr Lowell

Dracut, MA

#18469 Aug 1, 2013
Wonder why we don't hear from the crown vic guy?

Who remembers the saying on TV 'Trow da bum out' hint: Chester A. Riley!
Sla

Lowell, MA

#18470 Aug 1, 2013
Mr Lowell wrote:
Wonder why we don't hear from the crown vic guy?
Who remembers the saying on TV 'Trow da bum out' hint: Chester A. Riley!
The crown vic . Is really a little FIAT.
Kay Quinn

Haverhill, MA

#18471 Aug 6, 2013
Florida Retiree wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember Bill Q. quite well, he was real gentleman and a pleasure to work with, smoked a lot I believe. There was also another pharmacist named Armand Landry, short guy rather chubby, they both worked together. The store was sold to a guy named Paul Gendron(sp) who was not a likeable guy at all and not nice to work for, many of us left.
I forgot about this post and how to find it. I was actually looking up info on my dad's brother Father Joseph p. Quinn OMI, and came across this. Yes, my father smoked like a chimney. The cigarettes killed him. I was daddy's little girl. I was only sixteen when he passed.
Please tell me EVERYTHING you remember about my dad. I remember the name Armand but don't remember him. I know my father couldn't stand "Gendron" and went to work at "Mason's" pharmacy across from the Immaculate Conception Church. He went back to Liggetts he missed the customers terribly. To quiet in Mason's for dad. Do you ever remember him talking about his brother Fr. Joe in the Phillipines? Or his wife Rita? Or his five kids? What about Rolland Kraft who worked there. I think he was like a janitor. When my dad died he cried like a baby. It was like he lost his best friend. Can you tell me your name I might know you or heard of you. My older brother Joey worked there at the soda fountain. Did you know him? He was just a kid at the time. He died at the same age as my dad did 53,(un-lucky number). Do you remember the name of a woman "Bertha" I think she worked there also and lived on Hovey St. I don't have many memories of my dad being healthy. Please, Please give me every story you can remember about him.

Sincerely,
Kay (or as my father would refer to me as "Blackie") only one with dark hair. Other children all blondes.
Jake

Lowell, MA

#18472 Aug 7, 2013
Kay Quinn wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot about this post and how to find it. I was actually looking up info on my dad's brother Father Joseph p. Quinn OMI, and came across this. Yes, my father smoked like a chimney. The cigarettes killed him. I was daddy's little girl. I was only sixteen when he passed.
Please tell me EVERYTHING you remember about my dad. I remember the name Armand but don't remember him. I know my father couldn't stand "Gendron" and went to work at "Mason's" pharmacy across from the Immaculate Conception Church. He went back to Liggetts he missed the customers terribly. To quiet in Mason's for dad. Do you ever remember him talking about his brother Fr. Joe in the Phillipines? Or his wife Rita? Or his five kids? What about Rolland Kraft who worked there. I think he was like a janitor. When my dad died he cried like a baby. It was like he lost his best friend. Can you tell me your name I might know you or heard of you. My older brother Joey worked there at the soda fountain. Did you know him? He was just a kid at the time. He died at the same age as my dad did 53,(un-lucky number). Do you remember the name of a woman "Bertha" I think she worked there also and lived on Hovey St. I don't have many memories of my dad being healthy. Please, Please give me every story you can remember about him.
Sincerely,
Kay (or as my father would refer to me as "Blackie") only one with dark hair. Other children all blondes.
My cousin worked the soda fountain there her name was Claire Touzin . Did you know her ?
I'm sorry I never met your Father.
The man you are asking questions only comes on every 7 or 8 days. But I'm sure he will answer you.
Liggetts

Mansfield, MA

#18473 Aug 12, 2013
Kay Quinn wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot about this post and how to find it. I was actually looking up info on my dad's brother Father Joseph p. Quinn OMI, and came across this. Yes, my father smoked like a chimney. The cigarettes killed him. I was daddy's little girl. I was only sixteen when he passed.
Please tell me EVERYTHING you remember about my dad. I remember the name Armand but don't remember him. I know my father couldn't stand "Gendron" and went to work at "Mason's" pharmacy across from the Immaculate Conception Church. He went back to Liggetts he missed the customers terribly. To quiet in Mason's for dad. Do you ever remember him talking about his brother Fr. Joe in the Phillipines? Or his wife Rita? Or his five kids? What about Rolland Kraft who worked there. I think he was like a janitor. When my dad died he cried like a baby. It was like he lost his best friend. Can you tell me your name I might know you or heard of you. My older brother Joey worked there at the soda fountain. Did you know him? He was just a kid at the time. He died at the same age as my dad did 53,(un-lucky number). Do you remember the name of a woman "Bertha" I think she worked there also and lived on Hovey St. I don't have many memories of my dad being healthy. Please, Please give me every story you can remember about him.
Sincerely,
Kay (or as my father would refer to me as "Blackie") only one with dark hair. Other children all blondes.
Kay, I believe that I have shared all that I remember about that point in time,I lost contact with those folks after I stopped working there. I am pleased that I met and worked with those people and rest assured that your father was a well liked and respected man. I did not know any of your family. Take care.

Since: Aug 13

Lowell, MA

#18474 Aug 15, 2013
50s cruisin wrote:
This is like Moody Gardens on a Saturday night in the old days. What a friggin' zoo.
Speaking of the Moody Gardens on a Saturday night, I'm interested in hearing more about the Moody Gardens bar in Lowell. Do have memories you could share?
Josephine

Tewksbury, MA

#18475 Sep 8, 2013
I remember the dress shop in Belvidere I were those pretty little girly dresses.
My Uncle bought me dresses their when I was a little girl. I remember the dresses had a mess kinds lining underneath this gave the dress a puffy look. One I remember had scissors on the bottom half of the dress. I wish I had those dresses I would have had my daughter were them.
BillPalmer

Snellville, GA

#18476 Sep 21, 2013
50s cruisin wrote:
<quoted text>
Gallagher's Drug Store was on Chelmsford St., right around where Plain St. crosses. Marty's Penthouse, or Marty's For Parties, was owned by Marty O'Connor. He also owned Marty's Cafe in Kearney Sq. Marty was a very good friend of my uncle, George Murphy. The plane crash on the river side of Fort Hill is vaguely familiar. My dad used to take me to see the caged bear on that side of the hill. I was born in 1939, on Boylston St. I'll ask my older brother about the crash.
Your right, Gallagher's Drug Store was at the bottom of Powell Street which is where Plain St. intersects Chelmsford as you said. Have you had any input from your older brother about the plane crash?
I got it

Manchester, NH

#18477 Sep 24, 2013
SATXBern wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =k2mOkZACykAXX
this is the only one I could find....will look for more later
Lance Pelley
washington state cougars

Spokane, WA

#18478 Oct 2, 2013
thirty-two this morning.only got up to forty-eight at my place.snow in the mountains,i'm sure we'll see snow in a couple of weeks.how is everyone?
washington state cougars

Spokane, WA

#18479 Oct 2, 2013
this is for fr,were you aware that jimmy molloy passed away a couple of weeks ago?good solid highlands family.i'm sure you knew him also.
Janet Simard DiLisio

Spring Hill, FL

#18480 Oct 3, 2013
Cougars Still pretty warm here in Weeki Wachee Flordia(about 45 min north of Tampa) Days are high 80's and high70's at night.I am from Mass but live in florida now so I like the winters here much better than the summers.Summers are to hot but the hubby wont go back to the cold so I just use the A.C. all summer long.LOL Keep warm
washington state cougars

Spokane, WA

#18481 Oct 3, 2013
hi janet,i spent about six months in pensacola going to a navy school.i'd rather have the four seasons.i take the princess out for a walk,and i can smell the neighbors using their fireplaces.we have two fireplaces,but only use the one upstairs at thanksgiving/christmas time.it's thirty-one degrees right now,as i'm sending this post.it's been a long time since we've had this type weather before halloween.watching the wildlife around here,squirrels,racoon,deer,i'm thinking we have a couple of weeks until we see the snow.
FLorida-R

Largo, FL

#18482 Oct 4, 2013
washington state cougars wrote:
this is for fr,were you aware that jimmy molloy passed away a couple of weeks ago?good solid highlands family.i'm sure you knew him also.
WSC, sorry I didn't know him. He must be younger than me, how old was he??
Sla

Lowell, MA

#18483 Oct 4, 2013
WSC,. Janet, Fr.
Nice to see you all on here.
Been in the 70's here all week. Rain today.
WSC How is Sheri doing? My son Just bought a nice house in Fort Myers. Florida.
How far is that from you Janet?
You all have a nice weekend.
FLorida-R

Largo, FL

#18484 Oct 5, 2013
Sla wrote:
WSC,. Janet, Fr.
Nice to see you all on here.
Been in the 70's here all week. Rain today.
WSC How is Sheri doing? My son Just bought a nice house in Fort Myers. Florida.
How far is that from you Janet?
You all have a nice weekend.
Hello to all from me as well, it would be wonderful if we could resume Remembering Lowell as we all did in the past. It's enjoyable hearing other people's memories of Old Lowell.

WSC, it's too cold up there. You must remember those cold Thanksgiving Morning at the Lowell-Lawrence, I remember going to games when it was just standing room only at Cawley and 2-3 people deep too. Those were the days. Let's keep this Forum going!
jfc

Manchester, NH

#18485 Oct 26, 2013
The Yum Yum Shop at Demoulas had the best Birthday cakes. 45 years later I still judge birthday cakes by how close they taste to the Yum Yum Shpo cakes. Their frosting was the best I ever had.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Massachusetts pipeline opponents vow to stay ac... 11 hr Kim 1
News Three-alarm fire engulfs Billerica home May 2 hammerhead 1
News Billerica weighs smaller lot sizes to attract h... May 2 hammerhead 1
News A day in jail for VA theft (Jun '10) May 1 Not a fan 11
News Is The Driving Age In MA Too Young? (Apr '06) Apr 29 Hypocrisy person... 324
Should an uninsured driver from NH be allowed t... (Aug '08) Apr 29 NH_Native 109
News Lowell school budget cuts loom (May '10) Apr 27 Bob McHugh 32
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowell Mortgages