Do you remember????
sla

Howell, MI

#5448 Dec 1, 2010
Florida Retiree wrote:
<quoted text>Senyour Bob, I bet you never thought about being as old as we are now in those days, I know I didn't. I also think the medical care we receive today keeps us younger than in the days of our youth.
Thats why people died young in the early 1900;s. I saw a story by a docter who said they put so much salt on the meat to preserve it. They had so much high blood presure and heart attacks,
sla

Howell, MI

#5449 Dec 1, 2010
Bob Mc KA_58 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha... my ROATM (Running Off At the Mouth)responses in which I get all tangled up in, like #5287, sometimes misses the point...LOL. Indeed Gone is a great Oldie....and Ford must entice you per what I heard as an Elvis style! while Jones has that mellow voice of C-W singers of olde! http://tinyurl.com/2emu7lj
There's just something about being able to make out the words of songs of old.
Elvis isthe king of Rock & Roll.

And you are the King of best Videos.
Just Saying

Bedford, MA

#5450 Dec 1, 2010
sla wrote:
<quoted text>
Here are a few more names , Joe Kitchen, Bob Millett, Jerry Landry.
Timmy Page. Larry Page,
remember Joe Kitchen, came down the south common looking for me with a gun ,his wife was a beaut!All over something I supposedly said when we went to buy beer at the old howard st. apartment.we were only a few of the white guys who would frequent there.Same Joe Kitchen [he was black ] if not , sorry
washington state cougar

Spokane, WA

#5451 Dec 1, 2010
hey sla,would you or someone else in lowell remember a little cafe that was owned by a greek family.i think it was on the corner of gorham and middlesex street.they were open early in the morning,and we'd go in for coffee and english muffins.being teenagers there were times when we would "chew and screw".i think one of the girls in the family was named joyce.anyone help me outwith this?i see some people have written about the tb hospital,my grandfather died in that hospital.my grandfather worked in the mills back in the day.he started as a boy sweeping floors,and ended up high on the management list.his name was marcus gross.he was also a very good poet.i know as a kid reading his poems in the sun.my favorite was a poem named "tattered and torn".
sla

Howell, MI

#5452 Dec 1, 2010
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text> remember Joe Kitchen, came down the south common looking for me with a gun ,his wife was a beaut!All over something I supposedly said when we went to buy beer at the old howard st. apartment.we were only a few of the white guys who would frequent there.Same Joe Kitchen [he was black ] if not , sorry
Well Joe was a hell of a boxer, Did alot of drugs.

I met him 4 weeks ago he now weighs 280 pounds,
3 guys in 1989 beat him so bad with a baseball bat he almost died,
He is on disability due to the beating, Cant work gets dizzy spells.
He said thats why he got so big, If you remeber he was about 160 pounds,

Ys he is black,

His fighting days are over, He even told me he was so sotty for all the fights he had,
Now he is a church going guy,

take. Care,
sla

Howell, MI

#5453 Dec 1, 2010
And when I sat sotty , Thats how Joe says sorry now, Due to the beating he does not talk right,
Have. A. Good.. Week,
sla

Howell, MI

#5454 Dec 1, 2010
washington state cougar wrote:
hey sla,would you or someone else in lowell remember a little cafe that was owned by a greek family.i think it was on the corner of gorham and middlesex street.they were open early in the morning,and we'd go in for coffee and english muffins.being teenagers there were times when we would "chew and screw".i think one of the girls in the family was named joyce.anyone help me outwith this?i see some people have written about the tb hospital,my grandfather died in that hospital.my grandfather worked in the mills back in the day.he started as a boy sweeping floors,and ended up high on the management list.his name was marcus gross.he was also a very good poet.i know as a kid reading his poems in the sun.my favorite was a poem named "tattered and torn".
That must have (Danas) its still there today,
Please let me know if thats the one.

As for the rest sorry I cant help you.

Have. A. Good. week.
sla

Howell, MI

#5455 Dec 1, 2010
washington state cougar wrote:
But thinking now Danas Is on the corner of Gorham and Appeton, St.

Is that the one?
LTB

Stoneham, MA

#5456 Dec 1, 2010
sla wrote:
<quoted text>
The owl diner is a wonderfull place , But expensive.
Want a great place a little cheaper where the people take the time to talk to you. The food is good try the Cameo Diner on Lakeview ave, Tuesday to Sunday 6am to 11am.
Or Vicks on West 6 st accros from Lowell Proision excellent ham.
Good Night.
I'm partial to Gormleys on east Merrimack St
Anyone

Pinehurst, MA

#5457 Dec 1, 2010
remember Mama Lias?
sla

Howell, MI

#5458 Dec 1, 2010
LTB wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm partial to Gormleys on east Merrimack St
Yes Gormleys is very good. I like to try places i have never been to,

If someone recomends a place ,
I like to try it, So to you I recomend The Cameo diner,
Bob Mc KA_58

Huntsville, AL

#5459 Dec 1, 2010
Old but Young at Heart wrote:
<quoted text>still looking for info or pictures on it to share with everyone. Its too late tonight will try again by the weekend I hope!
Alas, many weeks ago (or is it months now...LOL) I posted a web site that had a great pic looking north up Central with a great view of the Strand's marquee sticking out. Alas I do not know where I put the website...LOL. In the meantime, here are some great views including one I'm glad I never saw as the Lady lay dying. http://www.pbase.com/jroy/strandlowell Click the thumbnail pics to enlarge

Here's a bunch of people http://cinematreasures.org/theater/4239/
sharing memories about The Strand where a fellow put the above link of Strand pics.

Beyond the Strand, bet most people haven't seen this view of the auditorium http://rocktour.net/directions/LowellMemorial...
After the first one here http://www.pkart.com/pages/artists/VassiliosG... here's some oil paintings of LowellLand of possible interest.
stemp

United States

#5460 Dec 1, 2010
killeen texas wrote:
<quoted text>Went there many times in the middle 70s and early 80s, a lot of good times there. Did you ever go to Mellos on Gorham st the next street over?
ya you mean the the sub shop shop?
Bob Mc KA_58

Huntsville, AL

#5461 Dec 1, 2010
Florida Retiree wrote:
<quoted text>Senyour Bob, I bet you never thought about being as old as we are now in those days, I know I didn't. I also think the medical care we receive today keeps us younger than in the days of our youth.
Whoa...so true, so true! Reminds me to make a New Year's Resolution to clean/purge this place so my kids don't have to sit here trying to figure out "Now why did he keep this scrap of paper; my gawd this coupon for Fixodent expired in '07; yada yada...." I better make a map of the yard so they can dig up all the cans of quarters, halves, and dollars that are silver and leave a note not to just through them in one of those machines that charges you to convert coins to paper...LOL Of course if they keep giving us NO SS Colas and my supplemental health insurance keeps going up, I might use them for myself!
killeen texas

Waco, TX

#5462 Dec 1, 2010
50s cruisin wrote:
<quoted text>
Tewksbury State Hospital was once known as the Tewksbury Insane Asylum. I was born and raised on Boylston St., next to Shedd Park, and frequented Tewksbury as a teenager, in the 1950s. The
Tewksbury kids would tell stories about the screams that came from the hospital buildings, especially at night, and of the warnings to beware of an occasional 'escapee'. We would sneak onto the grounds, after dark, trying to see what was going on, but we usually scared the crapola out of each other, or fled at the first sound of a rustling bush. It was definitely creepy.
I bet most people in there had Alztimers but we didnt know enough about at that time.I heard that poor people were put there also?
Florida Retiree

Tampa, FL

#5463 Dec 1, 2010
Does anyone remember Fitts Photo on Merrimack St. I used to buy model cars there and entered mine in the contest, came in secon place and received a nice thropy on a stand. The car was a 1939 Ford Coupe.
Bob Mc KA_58

Huntsville, AL

#5464 Dec 1, 2010
Father John's sign.

Danas pic
----------

How's about this one for Father John http://www.flickr.com/photos/29319466 @N08/4119024456/in/photostream / on "his" own plant on Market St.(now senior apartments?) across from the old Police Dept.

If ya keep clickin on the pics to its right, Y'all will find a Danas pic or just go here
here http://www.flickr.com/photos/29319466 @N08/4110990212/in/photostream /

kitty korner from the Olde Post Office. There used to be s soda fountain shoppe across maybe?
Bob Mc KA_58

Huntsville, AL

#5465 Dec 1, 2010
Dang....links too long. Hope these work

Father John's http://tinyurl.com/28vgx8z

Danas http://tinyurl.com/2av9vkc
Lowell Kid

Montpelier, VT

#5466 Dec 1, 2010
Bob Mc KA_58 wrote:
<quoted text>
-At one time, someplace around the South Common when the 4th of July carnival was there.
-KH: On the "hill" at the intersection of Thorndike and Chelmsford/Appleton Sts across from the Stairway down to the Depot. There was a trolley sitting where the converted house was, last time I visited.
2nd was the take over of the orphanage on Stevens St. just down from St. Margaret's school.
Okay Bob you got two of em.
Lowell Kid

Montpelier, VT

#5467 Dec 1, 2010
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text> News reporters
Jack Flannery and Joe Abrams were news reporters at WCAP. Jack McPadden was a disc jockey there. Good memory.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Camp Saint Mary's (Jan '09) May 25 Jappa 35
Should an uninsured driver from NH be allowed t... (Aug '08) May 24 Roger 111
Where are Lowell's most haunted places? (Jun '08) May 21 JordanWillis 836
News Billerica man gets probation in stolen-lottery ... May 18 hammerhead 1
Cheryl santos. May 17 Mewcatchew 1
News Tyngsboro High teacher quits over 'inappropriat... (May '08) May 13 asdasd 107
News Cause of April blaze in Billerica cannot be det... May 11 hammerhead 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowell Mortgages