Do you remember????
sla

Tewksbury, MA

#5347 Nov 29, 2010
stemp wrote:
mary lou donuts on chelmford st or my denist was. good old Dr mccall downtown.. use too take the lrta bus to dt and drop us off at that candy store on the corner. what was that? fanny something.also that choclate candy out in chelford across from rt 3 movie
Fanny Farmer,
Across from rt3 movie , MRS Nelsons candy house,
killeen texas

Waco, TX

#5348 Nov 29, 2010
stemp wrote:
use hang out at the cell block?????? anybody else
Went there many times in the middle 70s and early 80s, a lot of good times there. Did you ever go to Mellos on Gorham st the next street over?
Bob Mc KA_58

Huntsville, AL

#5349 Nov 29, 2010
A Smiler for those hangin in the '50s
http://tinyurl.com/o3ukad
(Not a creation of mine.)

Geesh...another reference to Hunter's Haven!!(great fried chicken) but nobody will confirm a memory of the dirt race track out in back for jalopies!!!! LOL
sla

Tewksbury, MA

#5350 Nov 29, 2010
Bob Mc KA_58 wrote:
A Smiler for those hangin in the '50s
http://tinyurl.com/o3ukad
(Not a creation of mine.)
Geesh...another reference to Hunter's Haven!!(great fried chicken) but nobody will confirm a memory of the dirt race track out in back for jalopies!!!! LOL
Bob I always look for your;e web sites they just get better and better, It truly anazes me,
I will confirm the dirt race track with jalopies, They also had the midget racers, And later they had go karts.
My Dad went to cut brush and tres there for the power com.
Thanks Bob,
sla

Tewksbury, MA

#5351 Nov 29, 2010
(trees)
Bob Mc KA_58

Huntsville, AL

#5352 Nov 29, 2010
sla wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob I always look for your;e web sites they just get better and better, It truly anazes me,
I will confirm the dirt race track with jalopies, They also had the midget racers, And later they had go karts.
My Dad went to cut brush and tres there for the power com.
Thanks Bob,
Aha...Thanks for the confirmation SLA!

The first, and only time my Dad was gonna take me, I lost out! One Friday when I changed my school pants...didn't we all?.... I absentmindedly hung them on the outside knob of the closet door instead of on the inside hook like they were supposed to be! This brought an unprecedented wrath from my Mom down and my Dad chimed in that going to my first time at the races that night was "OFF". Indeed I can hear Everyone saying:'Whoa, that we don't have such discipline nowadays!!!' In fairness however, I must confess this has spoiled many a date over the years, when gals would get spooked out when I insisted on hanging my pants in their closet rather than dropping them on the floor. After many years of flying twice a week to NYC for analysis, I finally accepted the scenario that maybe my Mom's "having a cow" was simply her being in a snit with my Dad and his 'extreme' punishment was actually to get even with her.....LMAO
sla

Tewksbury, MA

#5353 Nov 29, 2010
Bob Mc KA_58 wrote:
<quoted text>
Aha...Thanks for the confirmation SLA!
The first, and only time my Dad was gonna take me, I lost out! One Friday when I changed my school pants...didn't we all?.... I absentmindedly hung them on the outside knob of the closet door instead of on the inside hook like they were supposed to be! This brought an unprecedented wrath from my Mom down and my Dad chimed in that going to my first time at the races that night was "OFF". Indeed I can hear Everyone saying:'Whoa, that we don't have such discipline nowadays!!!' In fairness however, I must confess this has spoiled many a date over the years, when gals would get spooked out when I insisted on hanging my pants in their closet rather than dropping them on the floor. After many years of flying twice a week to NYC for analysis, I finally accepted the scenario that maybe my Mom's "having a cow" was simply her being in a snit with my Dad and his 'extreme' punishment was actually to get even with her.....LMAO
All this time I thought you were a smart guy,

You should have put the pants in their wash basket you could have stayed a few days, lol,
Cracker Jax

United States

#5354 Nov 29, 2010
Goldie, the Ragman?
Depot Annie?
The Iceman?
The Rex?
The Dutch Tea Room?
Getting a steamed hot dog and Root Beer at Woolworth's 5 & 10 for 25 cents ???
Newbury's 5 & 10?
Liggett's Drug Store?
The Palace Theatre where you could see a cartoon, the Three Stooges and a Movie for 9 cents?
When the RKO and Strand Theatre's charge 25 cents admission?
Newsreels at all the Theatre's.
When the best place to go on Halloween night was to Congresswoman Edith Norse Roger's house on Andover Street because she had bowls and bowls
of candy bars, popcorn balls and candy apples?
Those were the days ! Huh?
Lowell Kid

Montpelier, VT

#5355 Nov 29, 2010
The T.B. hospital was actually up by the Pawtucket Memorial School. My family dentist was Dr. Liston,in the Sun Building, Dr. Green, in the building next door was our physician. He actally made house calls. I remember him stitching my face on the couch in my home after I tripped up the stepps of the Sacred Heart Church coming out of Mass.My early years were in the era of radio and I recall the first neighborhood kids who got a TV. We all got to go over to their place and watch Super Circus and Howdy Doody. Big day when we got that 12 inch black and white
Nan

Cape Coral, FL

#5356 Nov 29, 2010
I remember the race track in back of Hunters Haven. There was a race one night and a tire came off a car and flew into the stands, killing the girlfriend of the driver of that car. That is when they put up the fence. At least that is how I remember it. If I'm wrong after all these years, someone please let me know.
sla

Tewksbury, MA

#5357 Nov 29, 2010
Nan wrote:
I remember the race track in back of Hunters Haven. There was a race one night and a tire came off a car and flew into the stands, killing the girlfriend of the driver of that car. That is when they put up the fence. At least that is how I remember it. If I'm wrong after all these years, someone please let me know.
You are not wrong, That is why they closed it,
sla

Tewksbury, MA

#5358 Nov 29, 2010
Lowell Kid wrote:
The T.B. hospital was actually up by the Pawtucket Memorial School. My family dentist was Dr. Liston,in the Sun Building, Dr. Green, in the building next door was our physician. He actally made house calls. I remember him stitching my face on the couch in my home after I tripped up the stepps of the Sacred Heart Church coming out of Mass.My early years were in the era of radio and I recall the first neighborhood kids who got a TV. We all got to go over to their place and watch Super Circus and Howdy Doody. Big day when we got that 12 inch black and white
Well I did say Varnum ave, I knew it was very close to Varnum ave,
But could not think of the name of the street, Must be going senile after driving a cab for 25 years,
Just Saying

Bedford, MA

#5359 Nov 30, 2010
Cracker Jax wrote:
Goldie, the Ragman?
Depot Annie?
The Iceman?
The Rex?
The Dutch Tea Room?
Getting a steamed hot dog and Root Beer at Woolworth's 5 & 10 for 25 cents ???
Newbury's 5 & 10?
Liggett's Drug Store?
The Palace Theatre where you could see a cartoon, the Three Stooges and a Movie for 9 cents?
When the RKO and Strand Theatre's charge 25 cents admission?
Newsreels at all the Theatre's.
When the best place to go on Halloween night was to Congresswoman Edith Norse Roger's house on Andover Street because she had bowls and bowls
of candy bars, popcorn balls and candy apples?
Those were the days ! Huh?
Remember them all [never could get away with going through the line twice at Miz Rogers house,I think the nurse was a secret service agent LOL] My wife actually worked at Liggetts snack bar when we were first married .
lowell girl

North Andover, MA

#5360 Nov 30, 2010
sla wrote:
<quoted text>
But could not think of the name of the street, Must be going senile after driving a cab for 25 years,
the stret is west meadow road!!!
lowell girl

North Andover, MA

#5361 Nov 30, 2010
I meant Street!!!
LTB

Wilmington, MA

#5362 Nov 30, 2010
sla wrote:
<quoted text>
when did you retire from being a cab driver
Lowell Kid

Montpelier, VT

#5363 Nov 30, 2010
Used to listen to the radio whenever it snowed to see if there was school in Lowell. Got 25 cents per sidewalk when I shoveled for the neighbors (that included a couple of driveways too). Walked to the First National at Lincoln & Gorham for bread milk and eggs and came back with change from a dollar.Penny candy or 5 cent candy bars at Pages Variety at Lincoln and Main. Nickel cokes at Larry's on the other corner. Comic books, rows of them on the back wall at Cunninghams (Gorham and Moore) for 10 cents each. There were some places you could get them for a nickel if they tore the front cover name off. Every t.v. or radio program had mail-in offers, usually connected with cereal. 25 cents and a box top from Rice Chex got you a cosmic smoke gun. That allowed you to squirt powder at the enemy and it was suppose to make him go to sleep. Today today they'd say it caused cancer or something.
sass

Nashua, NH

#5364 Nov 30, 2010
what about white wheels in dracut the dance hall upstairs that always had rumbles, or the skating down stairs...capitals was the bomb in lowell off rt 38 pick and u shall find
Florida Retiree

Tampa, FL

#5365 Nov 30, 2010
I used to ride my bike down to Kauffman's for bike parts. This is a test; anyone remember where it was located???
Just Saying

Bedford, MA

#5366 Nov 30, 2010
Florida Retiree wrote:
I used to ride my bike down to Kauffman's for bike parts. This is a test; anyone remember where it was located???
remember the store ,not the location ,will guess Middlesex st ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ten charged in Lowell gang raids; weapons, drug... (Jul '08) Fri theo 668
Kenneth Waters was innocent 100% (Oct '10) Apr 24 blowbackredfish 34
Section 8 Fraud (Sep '08) Apr 17 Shortstuff 346
Billerica crim,e 70s 80s 90s (Jul '08) Apr 14 Chaz 370
News THE MAIN EVENT: Crowds flock to see 'Fighter' s... (Jul '09) Apr 9 Erin M 76
Should an uninsured driver from NH be allowed t... (Aug '08) Apr 5 Greg 115
Low Frequency Hum - Industrial Noise? (Mar '10) Apr 2 Darrell Dammen 55

Lowell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowell Mortgages