Do you remember????
sla

AOL

#2666 Oct 11, 2009
burbacks milk sheldon st, puttnams wholesale, market,st, cotes paint fletcher,st, moose head cafe salem st, groveland fruit,parkway cafe, atlantis transfer,accros from mecharis, petes restaurant cornner broadway and willie,quelletts lunch moody st,kaplans clothing, moody st, leblancs furniture, merrimack,st, household furniture, market.st,antonis jewlers next to arthurs smart shop, merrimack,st, st halaire gas, moody ,st, parkway photo, merrimack st, garden florist market st,billy conns car lot market,st,
sla

AOL

#2667 Oct 11, 2009
l&d hardware,merrimack,st, austin provision moody,st, gills market moody st, later cabot,st goodrich tires moody,st, gas co market st gerards hardware, aiken st, jacks junk cars pawtaucket st now in bellrica, city cab, clairemonts milk, pawtaucket,st, a&p market, merrimack,st, sokols cafe, market st, omers cafe, merrimack, st, esso gas station ,corner of merrimack st & pawtaucket st, cognacks market, salem st, letoile french news papper, tilton.st,maries fish market moved from merrimack st to dummer st and the folded up.
sla

AOL

#2669 Oct 14, 2009
down town lowell was so busy in the 50s *60s. you could not walk without bumping into someone. the only place ths busy now is dunkin donuts,
sla

AOL

#2670 Oct 14, 2009
to friend in canada, did you no timmy page,ricky fox, mike landry, tom mcloughlin. ray couture, chuck at frank &ernies.

Since: May 09

San Antonio, TX

#2671 Oct 14, 2009
janet simard wrote:
<quoted text>Santoros had the best cheese steak thats what I miss living here in Tx you cannt get a good one like that
Hi Janet,my E-mail address is Haida25@satx.rr.com, send me your address. I have a pic from Lowell I think you would like....
Bob Mc-KA 58

Florence, AL

#2672 Oct 14, 2009
Just remembered: For a visual memory, Corey and his squeeze Jen, are capturing Lowell today with their casual photo melange. Obviously there are some shots of places of olde that haven't been torn down yet. Sadly, it was a bit more costly to take pics in the old days if you had the good fortune to have a "Brownie"...LOL.
When you go here http://home.comcast.net/~corey.sciuto/lowell....
click on Table of Contents when you get to the bottom of the page to continue with the 2 dozen pages.
Kudos to this yuppie couple! Consider sending them an email with a pat on the back to keep up the good work! BTW, if anyone finds a site showing the Commodore or Totem pole in the '50s with a Big Band playing, please post.
Galligan Road

Acton, MA

#2673 Oct 15, 2009
Just asking wrote:
<quoted text>`
But does anyone remember when "Jackie Mcdermott" or "Byron" or a whole lot of other guys were making "Book" out of the Copper Kettle back in the 60's and 70's before the Somerville guys tried to move in. I think a guy named Wynn was one of those guys.
"Wynn" was part of the "Winter Hill Gang" in Somerville. Howie Carr's website( wrko.com ) has police transcriptions regarding surveillance.
BTW, the first football card that I ever gambled on was a winner, bought from Byron at the Korner Kitchen as an employee and my mother knew that I had won before I did.
Galligan Road

Acton, MA

#2674 Oct 15, 2009
Ex-Teen wrote:
<quoted text>Its my turn to date myself Now, My Dad use to work at Pierce Ford, MANY moons ago, lol.
Are you kidding? Mother bought her first NEW CAR at Pirece in 1964, for about $2500.
sla

AOL

#2678 Oct 17, 2009
this is a great sight, please every keep it going would not like to loose,it,thank you.
sla

AOL

#2679 Oct 17, 2009
someone wrote about lowell police, here are some great police officers of the past, robert liston, arthur liakos, cornnie sullivan,tom machado,roger dumont,and manny others i did not no,
sla

AOL

#2680 Oct 17, 2009
juvenile furnituer, chucks veriaty school st,eat a donut,school,st,a & w root beer dracut,the traler hot dog stand,
sla

AOL

#2681 Oct 17, 2009
some of the nicest pepole ive met, andrew zaroulis,george rochett, charlie landry, sue landry, alan kazanjian, ray belley, sherriff bob masse, roger dumont,tartsie poulas,tiger contakas, teddy leakes, sam leakes,dennis had ciggarett store on middlesex st,, mr garside & his wife doris, jack brady,quito christakis,tom shannahan,of the owl dinner,scott the cameo dinner,arthur owner of the old a&l taxie,bob liston.artur liakas,mike riggs,billy conn,bob hamel,lenny vigant,dezi the barber,linda leakes.charlie contakes,charlie jones,of billrica,billy leakes,al therrian,norman suppernard,rita bolduc,morris bolduc,dave fosse,jone russell.rita mcann.pat mcann, plourde.the best atty in lowell andrew zaroulis,and many many others,
On the Border

Pepperell, MA

#2682 Oct 17, 2009
Malborough Market, Domesick's Drug Store, Tommy Gill's, Brunelle's....can you tell I grew up in the Highlands!!!
Bob Mc-KA 58

Florence, AL

#2683 Oct 17, 2009
sla wrote:
...some of the nicest pepole ive met...the best atty in lowell andrew zaroulis,and many many others,
So SLA or Anyone: do you know if Nancy Zaroulis, the author, is a kin of his? One googling refers to her as born in Chelmsford in '45. Another says that name is actually a pseudonym/pen name for Cynthia Peale who is married to a Gerald Sullivan.(How anyone would come up with an uncommon name like Zaroulis as a pen name, is beyond me.) In any event, every Lowellian should read her book 'Call the Darkness Light' about a Lowell Mill Girl in the 1800s to appreciate the folks who made it possible for us to have a place to grow up in.

I love coincidences. My Mom worked for Dr. Twarog on that second floor where Andrew has his office now and my Dad worked for Metropolitan Life when they occupied the building after Dr. T and my Mom moved to the Boyd Bldg in Chelmsford...LOL Anybody remember Dentist Currie in that Boyd Bldg? Well, except for gals and a few guys, not him actually, but his brunette dental hygienist? Ya know, the one you'd eat candy 5 times a day and not floss so your Mom would have to send you for a teeth cleaning three times a year?(She was probably a teen guy's first experience with S&M!)
Bob Mc-KA 58

Florence, AL

#2684 Oct 17, 2009
On the Border wrote:
....can you tell I grew up in the Highlands!!!
Not yet. If you were standing on top of Cowboy Rock would you be in Parker's Pasture or in the jungle by Hale's Brook? If you were a pre-teen on a Saturday afternoon in '53 or '54, would you be paying a) Ma Papadopolous, b) Ma Whitney, or C)Ma Zukowski 1)a buck fifty 2)forty cents or 3)ninety-five cents to a) ice or b) roller skate at 1)The Rex or 2)the Hi-Hat before a)going to confession at 1)St. Margaret's or 2)St. Jeanne d'Arc before watching A)Boston Blackie or B)The Jackie Gleason Show while eating 1)Baastan Baked Beans and boiled ham or 2) Baby Back Ribs and Chop Suey from Cathay Gardens?
Life long Lowell Resident

Lowell, MA

#2685 Oct 17, 2009
daisy may wrote:
<quoted text>\
I don't believe it was the 3 copper men. I know it had an upstairs and downstairs. i went to see Joan Jett there back in 1980.
Believe it, it was the 3 Copper Men. It was a strip/bar in the early 80's. I remember walking by there one night and looked in and saw a stripper perform. I couldn't go in because I was a teenager then.
Janet Simard Dilisio

Waco, TX

#2687 Oct 17, 2009
On the Border wrote:
Malborough Market, Domesick's Drug Store, Tommy Gill's, Brunelle's....can you tell I grew up in the Highlands!!!
Was Domesicks Drugs on the corner of Grand and Chelmsford?I lived on Chelmsford st in the 60s
Janet Simard Dilisio

Waco, TX

#2688 Oct 17, 2009
Life long Lowell Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe it, it was the 3 Copper Men. It was a strip/bar in the early 80's. I remember walking by there one night and looked in and saw a stripper perform. I couldn't go in because I was a teenager then.
Your right the stripers were down stairs the last I I went there,when they came in I stoped going
sla

AOL

#2689 Oct 17, 2009
to bob mcka -58. a long time ago i heard she was his couzin, but ill find out from him for sure will let you no in about a week, thank you,
tony

Woburn, MA

#2690 Oct 17, 2009
house bombing wrote:
<quoted text>why who wants to now
was it a house bombing?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tommy Ellis - Ding Ding (Nov '10) Sat Highlands kid 19
News Billerica man held in alleged assault (Jul '08) Sat Billyrica 33
News Police arrest log (Dec '10) Feb 13 sammy 9
News Respect government workers (Sep '10) Feb 13 Mr-Harrington 8
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Feb 13 Fiona 805
big fat white women with black guys are hilarious (Feb '14) Feb 11 maljoseph 8
News Boston man charged with ramming cruiser (Jul '10) Feb 8 JJ Baptisa 10

Lowell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance