Charter school's closure would hit Lo...

Charter school's closure would hit Lowell district hard

There are 37 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Dec 17, 2009, titled Charter school's closure would hit Lowell district hard. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

The city might have to build two new schools, or reopen the Rogers Middle School, if the state decides to close the Lowell Community Charter Public School because it lags in student achievement.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
George

United States

#1 Dec 17, 2009
Perhaps Ms. Scott would support another charter school opening in Lowell. As terrible as this thing is for the students, it has been humorous to watch the LPS teachers and administrators arguing out of both sides of their mouths. Make up minds guys. Do you want those students and their tuition in your district or at a charter school?
I know, I know. You want the money but not the students.
Teacher

Clinton, MA

#2 Dec 17, 2009
It is Dr. Scott.
George

United States

#3 Dec 17, 2009
Really. And would Dr. Scott support a new charter school in Lowell operated by a Sabis or Kipp Academy to absorb those students since she does not want them?
Bob

Bedford, MA

#4 Dec 17, 2009
Now we all see how shortsighted it was to decide to close a school and move the adminstration into it!

Next, we'll see how landlords will stick it to the school department to rent space for the adminstration.

Also, expect increased class sizes to be a factor in the next teacher contract.
Doyle

Lowell, MA

#5 Dec 17, 2009
LCCPS has a significant amount of money bankrolled. I don't remember the figure off the top of my head but it's posted in their Annual Report online (approximately $5-$6 million?).

In the event of LCCPS closing, could this money not be returned to the district in support of the 900+ student matriculation? What happens to the money that's sitting in account? Just curious.
No One

San Jose, CA

#6 Dec 17, 2009
Oh! The word DOCTOR doesn't mean anything and it's just a symbol to show that person has a high education. But the way that they act and do seem to be worst than an uneducated people. At least non-education people are moral and not brainless.
George

United States

#7 Dec 17, 2009
To Doyle's question:

603 CMR 1.13(8)
(8) Upon the revocation, non-renewal, or voluntary return of a Commonwealth charter, title to all of the property of the charter school shall immediately vest in the Commonwealth, subject to the rights of any secured party holding a perfected security interest in the property of such charter school. Any funds remaining after the satisfaction of the charter school's obligations shall be deposited in the General Fund. 603 CMR 1.13(6) shall not apply to the extent the charter school or any other interested party demonstrates that charter school property was purchased solely by, or solely with funds paid to the school by, persons or entities other than the Commonwealth, in which case ownership of the property shall be transferred to such persons or entities, unless otherwise voted by the Board of Trustees.

Since: Mar 09

Lowell, Mass

#8 Dec 17, 2009
The overlooked part to this whole issue is the fact that the state of massachusetts doesn't have any sort of contingency plan for failed charter schools. Issuing charters to organizations that may or may not be able to run a school properly without any sort of contingency plan for the inevitable failures is just plain negligent. What are the chances this will be addressed in the latest ed. reform legislation? It's unfair and unrealistic to expect any school system to take in an additional 800 or 900 students all at once. Whatever state agency steps in to take over failed public schools should be the ones to clean up after failed charter schools.
Shirley Moore

Westfield, MA

#9 Dec 17, 2009
It would be a great lost if this school were to close.II live in Dracut and pulled my daughter out our Dracut school and this school has been so much better for her. My daughter is in the ALPS progam for gifted and talented children. There is no school in the area that offers such a program . PLEASE KEEP THIS SCHOOL OPEN.
Ignorance is Bliss

Boston, MA

#10 Dec 17, 2009
First off from a teaching perspective, to close this school means adding innumerable students to other classrooms; which furthter reduces the possibility of individual attention for the student. The ramifications from such a change are far-reaching and include issues from: children slipping through the cracks, not being intellectually challenged, higher dropout rates (yes they drop out in middle school) and increased behavioral issues (including gang activity).

Realize that educators are paid minimally at best and are now going to have to expand everything and likely still at the same rate of pay. Also many school systems have already had to go down to bare bones (less staff, materials, etc.) because of the economic downturn. With no viable contigency plan, the reality looks grim at best.

Oh, also for the poster who stated that the term "doctor" meant nothing, why do you care about this little educational chat. No the intellectual level may not be the highest in someone with a doctorate, they may even lack common sense in some cases but it takes a heck of a lot of drive to complete that level of education.

I pray this is resolved in a way that makes sense and supports the students & educators best.
Mom in Lowell

Southborough, MA

#11 Dec 17, 2009
LCCPS has been great for my son. They are the only school that offers a Gifted & Talented program. My son has excelled and already knows that he wants to attend Harvard University. LCCPS has helped him form his positive educational path. The teachers are brilliant, sensitive and really are successful with the entire community. Would we get that sense of "community" in the Lowell Public Schools? Is Lowell really ready to re-district and perhaps build new schools? Or do they just want the LCCPS money? Please advise.
Tearful

Lowell, MA

#12 Dec 17, 2009
When your child gets up in the middle of the night frighten and angry that his school is closing and that he will no longer see his friends and teachers, and you have to console him let me know. When I asked my child to make his Christmas wish list, I never thought the first thing would be "Santa, please save my school, I promise I will do all I can so they don't have to close it, I will help mommy more, I will do my homework on time, I will help teacher and most of all I promise to be a good boy." How many of you have that to deal with in a time that should be joyful. What do I tell him when he asks me, mommy where are they going to put me? Mr. Chester I hope you are able to provide a good answer to that. I hope my son won't be lost in the system because classes will be too packed and teachers won't have the drive to teach because they simply can't manage. Well my answer is keep LCCPS opened, like the other favors you have granted to other schools who have been on not one but two probation grant that to LCCPS and let your conscience be your GUIDE. God is watching you and if we don't see he sees your every move and we will be all reap according to our deeds.
lhs mom

Quincy, MA

#13 Dec 17, 2009
When regular public schools are declared "Level 5" underperforming schools, they are supposed to be "remediated" and the state DESE takes over....(even though no one quite knows what this means...it's in the new Ed Reform Bill of 2009), why don't we do that?
Let the state step in and take it over, that way they can show EVERY BODY just how to make AYP.
They seem to have all the answers, let them put their money where their mouth is (so to speak).
Lowell

Lawrence, MA

#14 Dec 17, 2009
Your post says it all. You are brainful.
No One wrote:
Oh! The word DOCTOR doesn't mean anything and it's just a symbol to show that person has a high education. But the way that they act and do seem to be worst than an uneducated people. At least non-education people are moral and not brainless.
Lowell

Lawrence, MA

#15 Dec 17, 2009
This is a terrific idea.
lhs mom wrote:
When regular public schools are declared "Level 5" underperforming schools, they are supposed to be "remediated" and the state DESE takes over....(even though no one quite knows what this means...it's in the new Ed Reform Bill of 2009), why don't we do that?
Let the state step in and take it over, that way they can show EVERY BODY just how to make AYP.
They seem to have all the answers, let them put their money where their mouth is (so to speak).
Sk1ds

Haverhill, MA

#16 Dec 17, 2009
They should really close down all American schools..lol. Well, we can't do that, but I know they hired a guy that didn't even finish community college to be a sub. There's no surprised here!
Kim

Dracut, MA

#17 Dec 17, 2009
Mom in Lowell wrote:
LCCPS has been great for my son. They are the only school that offers a Gifted & Talented program. My son has excelled and already knows that he wants to attend Harvard University. LCCPS has helped him form his positive educational path. The teachers are brilliant, sensitive and really are successful with the entire community. Would we get that sense of "community" in the Lowell Public Schools? Is Lowell really ready to re-district and perhaps build new schools? Or do they just want the LCCPS money? Please advise.
As a Lowell Public school mom I must say that there is a great sense of "community" in my childs school. The charter school has not shown growth like the Lowell public schools. That is not accepatable for the children.
teacher

Amherst, MA

#18 Dec 18, 2009
I have received students from the ALPS program into my classroom and I can state for a fact that, while bright, they are not gifted nor talented. In fact, they were barely reading on grade level. Through numerous assessments, it was determined that while they had several strengths, they were seriously lacking in basic reading strategies and comprehension skills.
THis occurred more than once with students who transferred into Lowell Public schools. In addition, their math skills were even less developed. They had difficulty with higher level problem solving, but were strong in basic computation.

There are schools in Lowell with low class sizes. This move should help keep the smaller schools like Washington and Moody in business. Keep in mind, not all charter students are from Lowell
These were great kids, but sorry the criterior for the ALPS program gives parents a false sense of their child's ability. They did make great progress, but definately were not at the top of the class.
Another issue is that the charter school admits students in the fall while still 4 years old. Most educators will tell you that emotionally these children will also struggle to keep up and in fact will stand out with their immaturity.
I do believe that specialized charter schools may be a better fit for some students, but the curriculum and criteria for admittance needs to be specific and challenging(ie. a science, math, technology school)
People like the charter because of the extended hours(babysitting service)
KIM2

San Jose, CA

#19 Dec 18, 2009
Kim wrote:
<quoted text>
As a Lowell Public school mom I must say that there is a great sense of "community" in my childs school. The charter school has not shown growth like the Lowell public schools. That is not accepatable for the children.
As a LCCPS mom I must say you have no clue to what LCCPS does for kids and parents! LCCPS has before and afterschool programs which helps kids with homeworks and there are Spanish dance, African dance, Khmer dance and others programs to remind kids of their traditional cultures and to have fun! afterschool programs also help keep kids off the street!!! Public Schools does not have those special programs or an after school! where does your kids goes? on the street? or are you a stay home mom? good FOR YOU! there are alot of parents whose greatful for LCCPS, not for babysitting as most dumb people have stated but to help them stay safe and get their homeworks done or join one of those programs.
mom

Holly, MI

#20 Dec 18, 2009
LCCPS is a great school! I HAve two kids in there, one last year took advance on MCAS test, now my kid was in the 4 grade, is the good student, but when he started in this school, he came from Moody school, he can't even read something on the 1 grade, now he always take B+ and A+, I thank God for this school, where my kids learning so much, and about my ather kids he is in the first grade, he read and he is a very good in math, for me a kid with 6 year old, he's doing count, count money, he take a number like 38 he knows wich number is after and before, and he knows the number is even or odd, I think that school is great, and I'm so sad if my kids have to go to another school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to Brenda Lacombe? 23 hr JustBeReal 4
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Thu darby maloney 17,993
my wife refuses to get a job! (Aug '09) Thu Mark 191
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Jul 26 Boston1966 763
News Filming of 'The Fighter' begins in Lowell (Jul '09) Jul 25 Kittivers 5
News Inspired evolution of Billerica's Whiffle Tree Jul 19 hammerhead 1
News Westford neighbors demand action on rowdy Nasho... (Jul '10) Jul 14 Ghost of Tiki Pasr 234

Lowell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowell Mortgages