feline house of horrors in dracut

feline house of horrors in dracut

There are 93 comments on the Lowell Sun story from May 15, 2010, titled feline house of horrors in dracut. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Neighbors say they don't have to tell you how to get to Sesame Street -- you just have to follow the stench of dead cats and urine.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Mike

Middleton, MA

#1 May 15, 2010
Oh this is digusting and shame on the town for allowing this to go on for years. I thougt it was a law you could only have 1 unregistered car in your yard in Mass. I think the board of health and town need to clearn this up ASAP...the poor kids in the neighborhood and all the neighbors I feel bad for you guys.
princesslia

Watertown, MA

#2 May 15, 2010
This is the most disgusting story I have ever heard. It's a disgrace to the town of Dracut. How these poor neighbors have had to deal with this is beyond me!
The fact that this is just considered a nuisance is outrageous!!!!!!!!!! The house needs to be demolished and the owners should serve jail time for animal cruelty without a doubt!!!! Absolutely dispicable!!
Keef

Pepperell, MA

#3 May 15, 2010
Another mishap in Dracut story and I am shocked.... NOT
Jane

United States

#4 May 15, 2010
I live nearby and this is a beautiful street and neighborhood, this house has always been an eyesore not even knowing about what was going on inside. There have been enough complaints and enough time has gone by, it should just be demolished now. But the laws to make it hard! I guess the neighbors will HOPE the owners of this property don't do anything so it can be demolished in a year! Dracut is a GREAT town, a great place to raise children, lots of open space.....people like this make it look terrible!!! They don't even live in that house! Hopefully positive change is on the horizon!
Neighbor

Billerica, MA

#5 May 15, 2010
I live on the next street over from this home, and every time I walk by I can smell the stench from the street. It's absolutely horrible. The house from the outside is bad enough, I cant even imagine what it's like inside. They need to demolish it. Let's hope they do something about it this time. Isn't that animal abuse, having 100 living cats and 40-60 dead ones in one house, just running around in there own waste????
reader

United States

#6 May 15, 2010
"Neighbors say they don't have to tell you how to get to Sesame Street -- you just have to follow the stench of dead cats and urine." - Best beginning to a Lowell Sun story EVER. I'm making this my status on facebook.

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_15092929#ixzz0o0R...
a bunch of BS

Gloucester, MA

#7 May 15, 2010
damn i clean it if i can have it
pepperell resident

Harvard, MA

#8 May 15, 2010
Has the aspca been contacted about the neglect of these poor animals? These people should be fined big time!
neighbor

Dracut, MA

#9 May 15, 2010
I grew up on the next street over from this and I used to ride my bike by this house all the time. All the kids thought it was haunted and were scared to go near it. The smell was pretty bad back then but we didn't know what was causing it. I feel bad for the neighbors and the poor helpless cats/kittens. I hope the town does something about this soon and doesn't wait a year. Also, I wouldn't be so quick to judge the town of Dracut because of this horrible incident. The town overall is a great place to raise a family and people are friendly.
vicky

Lancaster, NH

#10 May 15, 2010
What a disgrace the town not doing something about this before now.
catlover

Tempe, AZ

#11 May 15, 2010
Absoloutely horrible
Mike J

Wauchula, FL

#12 May 15, 2010
"If it's a threat to life and safety, something can be done immediately, but if it's just a nuisance, it can be hard to get anything done," said McLaughlin.

Complaints for years about the stench. The place looks like a dump. Illegal use of land.
How many potential threats to life and safety do you need? How would you know it's not a treat to life and safety if you don't go in and check?
Sounds more like just passing the buck.
TOOK TOO LONG

Dracut, MA

#13 May 15, 2010
What took the Town so long to take care of this matter? Maybe some of the cats and kittens could have been saved if something was done years ago when they initially started receiving complaints.
CAT TO PROM

Tewksbury, MA

#14 May 15, 2010
I was going to take one of these cats to the Dracut High prom... now I'll have to sue!
Cats in Need

Windham, NH

#15 May 15, 2010
It's about time Feline Friends in Salem NH gets some credit for all the hard work they do to save cats in need. Everyone associated with Feline Friends are UNPAID volunteers (unlike many other animal rescues) who sacrifice their time and money to rescue cats. There are still many cats from this home that need to be adopted!!! Please adopt one of these cats!!!
Tony

Holton, IN

#17 May 15, 2010
This story makes no sense at all. The town of Dracut is not doing it's duty in enforcing the town codes. A dump is illegal, having trailers and out buildings are against code, also. The animal cruelty laws that appear to have been broken are another matter. Working on cars in the middle of the night, if noise is made, is also illegal. What a bunch of nonesense, Dracut has turned a blind eye to this situation. They are to blame for this problem.
Maggie

Peabody, MA

#18 May 15, 2010
OMG what a mess! I cannot even to begin to imagine what the neighbors have gone through. The first thing Dracut should do is tighten up it's ordinances. Those neighbors and anyone else who cares should start calling their selectmen to make sure that happens; and then keep the pressure on until something substantial is done.
ewwwww

Leominster, MA

#19 May 15, 2010
Well maybe the town can hand it over to the fire department for training. Torch the place really. Sanitize the area in a controlled way.

Serious it can not possibly be habitable in anyway if the cats died in the walls ect. It's a health hazard so I would suggest burning it down or something legally to protect the neighbors.

But how come it lasted so long? This should have been done along time ago.
lighter

Dracut, MA

#20 May 15, 2010
somebody should burn that focker down.
Animal lover

Windsor, CT

#21 May 15, 2010
I feel for all those poor cats and kittens. I would walk with my grandaughter by this house which we referred to as the cat house. I think some of us assumed they had several but not to this extent and not realizing they were being neglected. What a shame if the town knew this and did nothing. We do have a animal control officer who should have filed animal abuse charges. One life lost is one to many. I hope this terrible crime of animal cruelty goes without punishment. Its always the poor innocent ones that suffer!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
High on Crack Street (Aug '08) Tue Granite Stater 163
Where are Lowell's most haunted places? (Jun '08) Tue allieT 839
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Tue Former Resident 798
The Hearing Room presents DAN KIROUAC & SEAN FU... Tue Beatleman 1
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Jan 12 Highlands Guy 18,123
Low Frequency Hum - Industrial Noise? (Mar '10) Jan 11 cardiffgirl 53
Born And Raised In Lowell (Dec '13) Jan 10 Martha Audet 4

Lowell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowell Mortgages