T.J. McCARTHY

There are 42 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jul 22, 2010, titled T.J. McCARTHY. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

T.J. McCarthy, who has worked for the city for a decade, yesterday accepted an offer to work at UMass Lowell as its assistant director of buildings.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

BOSTON

Peabody, MA

#26 Jul 22, 2010
See Ya wrote:
TJ was and always be a left over bully from the god awful John Cox days.. glad to see him go!
Smart man.. Get out while you can. The city may cut your position next year..Mr Caulfield, do we fill this position ???
no more looting

Dracut, MA

#29 Jul 22, 2010
another umass insider wrote:
<quoted text>
He's got a position that requires a college degree, specifically a Masters' degree and he has only a trade school diploma. Friends in high places definitely helps.
Please define "requires".....

(sounds a lot like "optional")
no more looting

Dracut, MA

#30 Jul 22, 2010
Blazon Saddles, Don Lampoon....?

sounds like a target-rich environment
local observer

Dracut, MA

#31 Jul 22, 2010
who knew that Marty's real goal was to run Lowell?...

Congress, etc. was all just a setup....

(Tsongas at least wanted to be President...)
Frosty

Lowell, MA

#32 Jul 22, 2010
Former D Pu W wrote:
I wish TJ the best of luck. Since Bernie got in, he wanted him out. He didnt want the DPW position in the first place. It was forced down his throat, hoping he would leave and now he is. At least there is some security at UMA.
I never worked with such a bunch of rude, bitter, greedy, whacked out, cut throat and insecure employees as I did at the DPW. You all need to be disposed of because you are an embarrassment to the city! I hope you all get pink slips!
You sound bitter, were you one of the people who got layed off a few years ago because you didnt have a CDL?
Nelson Muntz

North Billerica, MA

#33 Jul 22, 2010
Sounds to me like TJ got out before the DPW ship went down.

20k hit? Not normal behavior at all. The John Cox ship is sinking. Can't wait to hear the news to come in the weeks ahead.

Mrrr...mrrr....(cue violins)
Former Insider

Lowell, MA

#34 Jul 23, 2010
TJ MCarthy is a true professional. He is always willing to go the extra mile, he would never hesitate to pick up a shovel and work along his men if needed. TJ, it was a pleasure to work with you. You will be missed by many. Good Luck
Hack O Rama

United States

#35 Jul 23, 2010
From one public payroll to the next...

Courtesy of King Marty
well know family

Billerica, MA

#36 Jul 23, 2010
they are a well know family alright - TJ's dad Terry has been on the public tit for years with a high paying do-nothing job with the sheriff and is one-third of the three amigos who have the fat contract for the Lowell Memorial Auditorium, wonder how much cash has been taken out of that business???, his "uncle Pat" is the nut who used to scream on WCAP - drives around with Brian McMahon all day doing god only knows what... real upstanding family
Mayflower

Boston, MA

#37 Jul 23, 2010
I have no dog in this fight but I think the bloggers are over reacting on this. The guy in this job makes sure the streets are plowed, pot holes are fixed, etc. This isn't brain surgery, it requires a conscientious hard working guy who knows his way around the city. Obviously its going to be a local person and obviously the city emplyees who work for him are not going to like him. My advice to people in this department is stay out of the politics as much as you can, get the work done and trust that your career will take care of itself. It might not happen fast but effective performance is usually recognized.
no more looting

Dracut, MA

#38 Jul 23, 2010
Nelson Muntz wrote:
20k hit? Not normal behavior at all
This is The Great Depression II. Poor is the new black.

In military terms is a "strategic retreat"....

(to very defensible ground, damn near impregnable)
no more looting

Dracut, MA

#39 Jul 23, 2010
no more looting wrote:
<quoted text>
This is The Great Depression II. Poor is the new black.
In military terms is a "strategic retreat"....
(to very defensible ground, damn near impregnable)
TJ will be manning the boilers, shoveling coal on the SS Massachusetts as it plunges into the abyss of economic collapse, frantically trying to reach retirement....

(or, maybe not)
PVilleGrl

Concord, MA

#40 Jul 23, 2010
well know family wrote:
they are a well know family alright - TJ's dad Terry has been on the public tit for years with a high paying do-nothing job with the sheriff and is one-third of the three amigos who have the fat contract for the Lowell Memorial Auditorium, wonder how much cash has been taken out of that business???, his "uncle Pat" is the nut who used to scream on WCAP - drives around with Brian McMahon all day doing god only knows what... real upstanding family
I think your a little bitter about his family, it's not like your a part of it. Maybe you should concentrate on your on family before slamming another you know nothing about.

TJ I am very happy for you, you are a hard worker. I wish you the best of luck in your new journey!
Maggie

Gloucester, MA

#41 Jul 23, 2010
Tj puts in long hours and is underappreciated by Lynch who probably wants to bring in another "friend" from Chelmsford. TJ is stuck with really serious budget cuts , not enough staff and still expected to get it all done and then some. He'll probaly need a lot less headache pills after he moves over. Rumor has it that the Manager's secretary is bailing out as well. Could it be something the water at City Hall?
no more looting

Dracut, MA

#42 Jul 23, 2010
Maggie wrote:
Tj puts in long hours and is underappreciated by Lynch who probably wants to bring in another "friend" from Chelmsford. TJ is stuck with really serious budget cuts , not enough staff and still expected to get it all done and then some. He'll probaly need a lot less headache pills after he moves over. Rumor has it that the Manager's secretary is bailing out as well. Could it be something the water at City Hall?
Great stuff. The in-the-know people know.
no more looting

Dracut, MA

#43 Jul 23, 2010
PVilleGrl wrote:
<quoted text>
I think your a little bitter about his family, it's not like your a part of it. Maybe you should concentrate on your on family before slamming another you know nothing about.
You realize that you are making disparaging remarks about an anonymous person who you don't know who is not in the news?

(tho the anger is admirable, I guess.....)
no more looting

Dracut, MA

#44 Jul 23, 2010
Maggie wrote:
I would put Bernie's contract in the same category. Everybody's getting what they can, while the getting is good.
BTW

United States

#45 Jul 26, 2010
Not to take anything away from TJ, but this job couldn't be that difficult -- Brian Martin used to do it.
former fan

Lowell, MA

#46 Jul 26, 2010
we read in the sunday sun who will be possibly taking tj's job. wonder who will be taking the secretary position.......could be interesting!
Shecky

Dracut, MA

#47 Jul 26, 2010
former fan wrote:
who will be possibly taking tj's job
talking "trash"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Filming of 'The Fighter' begins in Lowell (Jul '09) 1 hr Kittivers 5
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) 20 hr dingodevil 17,990
What happened to Brenda Lacombe? Fri Justice For All 3
News Inspired evolution of Billerica's Whiffle Tree Jul 19 hammerhead 1
News Westford neighbors demand action on rowdy Nasho... (Jul '10) Jul 14 Ghost of Tiki Pasr 234
Westford water ban and why isn't the town obser... Jul 13 runscottygrun 1
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Jul 11 ThndrBrdLnge 760

Lowell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowell Mortgages