Girl hospitalized in Lowell pit-bull ...

Girl hospitalized in Lowell pit-bull attack

There are 249 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jun 4, 2009, titled Girl hospitalized in Lowell pit-bull attack. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

A 5-year-old girl was hospitalized with severe dog bites to her face last night after she was attacked by a pit bull she and her father had been playing ball with in the yard of a Chapel Street triple-decker. Police were called to 173 Chapel St., about 4:53 p.m., and found the girl suffering from bite wounds to her face.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
Freedom

Bedford, MA

#1 Jun 4, 2009
What was that father thinking? Why would he let his little girl play catch with a pitbull? IDIOT!!
Pitt Bull owner

United States

#2 Jun 4, 2009
The girl never should have thrown the ball. By doing so, she provoked the bite. End of story. Lesson learned.
Hayward

Lowell, MA

#3 Jun 4, 2009
Pitt Bull owner wrote:
The girl never should have thrown the ball. By doing so, she provoked the bite. End of story. Lesson learned.
Pitt Bull Owner lesson learned, there are a lot of nuts in the world and your the biggest one!
karen

Stoneham, MA

#4 Jun 4, 2009
Pitt Bull owner wrote:
Are you kidding, you are blaming the kid...Just shows the mentality of the people that own these animals.There is just something wrong with these dogs.It is always the same story, of people who have known these dogs for years and them BOOM the dog snaps. These are not a domestic animal...by the way where was the owner of this pit bull when the girl was play ball with this dog
JRock

Rockville, MD

#5 Jun 4, 2009
Where is Tennessee Jed now? Pitbulls are such good animals they attack people unprovoked, again! Dumb animals.
CENTRALVILLE

New Bedford, MA

#6 Jun 4, 2009
It's not the kids fault. It's her fathers. He should know better then to PLAY with someone's loose pitbull.

“um, ok...yea, that's it...”

Since: Aug 08

Lowell

#7 Jun 4, 2009
The biggest problem I see is why on earth would this father allow his 5 year old daughter to play with an animal that they didn't own and didn't know what kind of temperament it had? I mean, how stupid do you have to be to start throwing a ball and enticing this animal to play and jump? Especially a large, strong dog like a pit bull?
The story states it wasn't their dog - shame on the owners for allowing this dog to roam the city unlicensed, and off-leash.
disgusted

Tewksbury, MA

#8 Jun 4, 2009
Pitt Bull owner wrote:
Children deserve a right to be safe from harm, especially from people's pets. Kids throw balls, they should not be attacked for doing so. The dog should be put down.
Pitbull owners should take the precautions to make sure that they are never around children.
Tongue in cheek

Tewksbury, MA

#9 Jun 4, 2009
Hayward wrote:
<quoted text>
Pitt Bull Owner lesson learned, there are a lot of nuts in the world and your the biggest one!
I think he was being sarcastic
Pitbulls are JUST DOGS

Bangor, ME

#10 Jun 4, 2009
Why can't people understand a dog is a dog? A lab, Husky, St Bernard, a Pitbull, THEY ARE ALL DOGS. Saying thata pitbull is more prone to violence is like saying someone of non-cacasion race is more abt to do a violent crime. It is NOT TRUE. The true story of this 5year old and dog will never be told because of the biased mindset of the media, like thw Lowell Sun plus there is no 3rd party people who can say what really happened.
If this story was written by someone with credentials, maybe I wouldn't take such offense by it. However stories like these are written by people who have no clue about the truth behind the breed. Go talk to any legitamate dog trainer or vet and you will learn the truth about dogs and breeds.
Pitbulls are JUST DOGS

Bangor, ME

#11 Jun 4, 2009
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Children deserve a right to be safe from harm, especially from people's pets. Kids throw balls, they should not be attacked for doing so. The dog should be put down.
Pitbull owners should take the precautions to make sure that they are never around children.
Why? I have one who loves my kid. Perhaps people need to lose the stereo type and learn the facts about pitbulls, from people who know them. not stupid idiotic newspaper reporters who don't know a thing about them.
Pitt Bull owner

United States

#12 Jun 4, 2009
I'm being serious.
Too many laws in this country. The only law we need to respect is the law of nature: "Survival of the Fittest".

Don't blame the dog. Maybe the father is stupid, but the law of nature applies to stupid people too.
Billerica

Tewksbury, MA

#13 Jun 4, 2009
Pitt Bull owner wrote:
I'm being serious.
Too many laws in this country. The only law we need to respect is the law of nature: "Survival of the Fittest".
Don't blame the dog. Maybe the father is stupid, but the law of nature applies to stupid people too.
Okay, so going by your vision of the world, I'll get a bear and a lion to keep in my home. When a kid gets attacked in my yard, I'll say "sorry, survival of the fittest. Your parents should have watched you better"
Billerica

Tewksbury, MA

#14 Jun 4, 2009
Pitbulls are JUST DOGS wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? I have one who loves my kid. Perhaps people need to lose the stereo type and learn the facts about pitbulls, from people who know them. not stupid idiotic newspaper reporters who don't know a thing about them.
That's fine, it's your own so kid and your own dog so if anything happens it's on you. Just keep it away from strangers kids, unless you get permission first-like any dog owner should do.
Doyle

Lowell, MA

#15 Jun 4, 2009
Bunch of trash pitbull owners. Shoot 'em all.
LoWeLL 4 LifE

Braintree, MA

#16 Jun 4, 2009
This is the second time in a week a Pitbull has attacked a little girl in the Merrimack Valley(Haverhill) and bit her in the face.I am sick and tired of Pitbull owners and sympathizers defending these dogs.They are naturally dangerous dogs and most people who own them have them for a "showpiece".And don't give me this crap about responsible owners or Poodles biting ankles or the media glorifying a Pitbull attack.
I hope the next time a Pitbull attacks a kid someone pulls a gun and blows the dogs' head off.
Pitbulls are JUST DOGS

Bangor, ME

#17 Jun 4, 2009
Billerica wrote:
<quoted text>
That's fine, it's your own so kid and your own dog so if anything happens it's on you. Just keep it away from strangers kids, unless you get permission first-like any dog owner should do.
I agree with that statement. I am very protective of my dog and yell at people who don't approach him properly. When one of the neighborhood kids does do something stupid around he all he does is lick and play, no aggression at all. However he is also a very well trained and loved animal.
BLUE LOU

Irvine, CA

#18 Jun 4, 2009
I have owned dogs all my life. I have had big dogs small dogs purebreeds and mutts. There is a reson why ONLY pit bulls are trained for dog fighting. There are much bigger and stronger dogs but only pit bulls will snap and go from loving to crazy fight-to-the-death in a second. This is all they are good for. They should be outlawed and the only reson they are not is because many other breeds could fall into the term "pit bull" so where do you draw the line?
Lock Up The Owner

Hooksett, NH

#19 Jun 4, 2009
hey lemme tell ya these pitbull owners are all drug dealing slime. They buy pitbulls for protection, why do you think their are so many pitbulls in Lowell? Its cause everyone is selling drugs and they use these dogs as a form of protection. When a dog attacks someone like this the owner should be held responsible and sentenced accordingly.
karen

Stoneham, MA

#20 Jun 4, 2009
Statistics donít lie...these dogs are like ticking time bombs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
very nervous about 40B affordable housing Nov 15 fieldhockey 1
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Nov 14 Wondering 18,381
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Nov 12 spook 817
Is anybody out there? Nov 9 Dennis Pena 1
News Man, 60, charged with gas station robbery Nov 9 hammerhead 3
News Three charged in Dracut pizza-shop robbery (May '08) Nov 8 Justice 55
Psychic Judy from Billerica Nov 7 pugsley7 1

Lowell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance