Posted in the Lowell Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
looking for a job

Pepperell, MA

#1 Aug 20, 2008
POLICE DETAILS VS. FLAG MEN

I just saw on NECN that Govenor Deval Patrick's transportation secretary is going to pay flag men $31 to $38.00 per hour. I'll take that job, but then again I'm sure it will be a 100 percent political job for son's daughters, brother-in-laws, ect. of our wonderfull polliticians of Mass... Oh cops get paied $40.00 per hour for details. Where is the savings? Oh I forgot the transportation secretary will show us in a year. We all know how good of a job Mass is doing managing it's transportation projects !!!
The Rooster

Dracut, MA

#2 Aug 20, 2008
That's gross!!! If you work 40 hours a week that comes to 62K to 76K a year. That doesn’t included overtime which you know there will be. And let’s not forget overnight hours. Any high school drop out could do that job. I know people with their master’s degrees that don’t make kind of money. That’s an $8 an hour job and not a nickel more.

You’re absolutely right these jobs will be filled by friends and family of the state HACKS! Which do you think is a more appealing to Ted Kennedy’s nephews toll booth worker or flaghack?
Secret Clown

Walpole, MA

#3 Aug 20, 2008
So for $2 more we can have someone directing traffic that can actually enforce laws? What can a flagman do other than hold a sign? They have zero authority and police will be less accessible.
Bronson

New Bedford, MA

#4 Aug 20, 2008
In the other 49 states, flagmen are employed by the companies doing the work. This is the change we want Governor dumb Shite.
Judd

Tewksbury, MA

#5 Aug 20, 2008
$38 an hour, then you get benefits. Explain the savings and then we'll talk. i cant believe that there is not an easier way to go. Although the money doesnt come directly out of taxpayers pockets, isnt there a way to renegotiate with these unions to bring the detail rate back to a level that everyone could feel more comfortable with. The alternative to the police could be losing details altogether. I respect police as much as the next guy but they are really not helping themselves when they are putting $40 in their pockets for overseeing traffic.
Bagdad Harry

United States

#6 Aug 20, 2008
Bronson wrote:
In the other 49 states, flagmen are employed by the companies doing the work. This is the change we want Governor dumb Shite.
Repeat after me

YES WE CAN!

Feel better?
Bagdad Harry

United States

#7 Aug 20, 2008
This is the Yes We Can man trying to blunt the attacks that will be run by the advance question one folks.
It for the children....
the ones of state employees going to Ivy Leaugue schools (like thta happens)

“Do NOT Feed the Trolls!!!”

Since: Jul 08

Lowell MA

#8 Aug 20, 2008
This current action wont solve the flagman situation, but breaking the grip of the police unions is certainly a step in the right direction.
Fed up with Mass

AOL

#9 Aug 21, 2008
Lowering the Bar wrote:
This current action wont solve the flagman situation, but breaking the grip of the police unions is certainly a step in the right direction.
Yes what a good direction to head in. Let’s take one job from the police union and then give it to another union. WOW now why didn't I think of that? Yeah right, how about we just leave it alone. I live in a small town and actually like seeing more officers on the street. Especially if it's on Verizon's or National Grid's dime. Oh but wait Flag men will be paid less ($38 instead of $40 Way to go Gov. Patrick !!!!) and I'm sure Verizon will reflect their savings in your next phone bill. Dream on and on and on.

Let's go after the real crooks the politicians that are milking the system for their huge pensions and health insurance after a short stint in office. Now there would be a savings.

“Are you kidding me?”

Since: Jul 08

Dracut, MA

#10 Aug 21, 2008
Bronson wrote:
Here in Massachusetts police details are paid by the company doing the work. Verizon needs a detail, Verizon pays for the detail. Detail pay doesn't come out of the police or city budget, a fact that always gets omitted in news reports. If the media reported that fact, people wouldn't get all fired up and they wouldn't sell newspapers. The company that hires the detail pays for the detail. Plain and simple folks.
WOW

United States

#11 Aug 21, 2008
Bronson wrote:
Good point! Why is the state hiring these people? They should be employed by the company doing the work.

I can already see it these Flagmen will have union, they’ll be threatening to strike every two years because they’ll want more pay and better benefits. Plus there will be a whole slew of them out on disability. And they’ll have a retirement fund so we get to keep paying for these guys until they die and then their spouses take over the benefits.

There will several administrative level hacks that will be in charge of the Flagmen department. That has to be a $250 thousand dollar a year job.

For Christ sakes, if you’re going to go through all of the trouble of pissing off the Police Officers Union because you’re taking their cash cow away at least do it right.

Mark my words, even if they have flagmen in this state I’m sure it will be in conjunction with of having Police on details. They come up with some lame reason like some jobs require Police presents. Police on details aren’t going anywhere.
Tim

Burlington, MA

#12 Aug 21, 2008
looking for a job wrote:
POLICE DETAILS VS. FLAG MEN
I just saw on NECN that Govenor Deval Patrick's transportation secretary is going to pay flag men $31 to $38.00 per hour. I'll take that job, but then again I'm sure it will be a 100 percent political job for son's daughters, brother-in-laws, ect. of our wonderfull polliticians of Mass... Oh cops get paied $40.00 per hour for details. Where is the savings? Oh I forgot the transportation secretary will show us in a year. We all know how good of a job Mass is doing managing it's transportation projects !!!
Now, if this is correct (and I honestly don't think it is... the company gets paid $31-38/hr. They only pay the flagmen like $10-12) what is the hue and cry against taking the money away from the police officer? I also like how Deval is taking care of the MSP by throwing the speed limit clause in there. Talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Tim

Burlington, MA

#13 Aug 21, 2008
Outraged by stupid people wrote:
<quoted text>
Here in Massachusetts police details are paid by the company doing the work. Verizon needs a detail, Verizon pays for the detail. Detail pay doesn't come out of the police or city budget, a fact that always gets omitted in news reports. If the media reported that fact, people wouldn't get all fired up and they wouldn't sell newspapers. The company that hires the detail pays for the detail. Plain and simple folks.
Let's not forget the fact that the city or town also charges a % fee to the company thus making money for the communities general fund but hey, I got a ticket once or a cop took my beer when I was 18 or I didn't pass the exam so screw them! Gotta love irrational jump the gun thinking!
WOW

United States

#14 Aug 21, 2008
<quoted text>
So when Route 3 was being widened (a state project) and I would pass 7 to 9 State cruisers in a 15 mile stretch. Who was paying for those guys??? Us the "Taxpayers".

Are you sure you want to keep that screenname?
I Like it

AOL

#15 Aug 21, 2008
<quoted text>
OHHHH I see ...so it is the company that hired the Policeman to stand there on his cell phone, oblivious to anything around him .....or maby ...if you are lucky give a half a$$ stop or go motion by moving 3 or 4 fingers....

Thanks for the info ..
Outraged by a DOLT

Tewksbury, MA

#16 Aug 21, 2008
<quoted text>
And their outrageous fee for the task is all part of the bid for the contract that is paid by the state ...If the cost for the service was less ..than the overall cost for the project would be less ...Therefore saving the state money ...get it ?????? or are you too smart to understand that ????
Fed up with Mass

Brookline, NH

#17 Aug 21, 2008
Well under the new flag man bill the state troopers are protected. The Gov. added a little loop hole for any road posted over 45mph. The flag man bill is just another joke brought to us by our great state. I'm telling you if the politicians really wanted to save money they would look at their own pay check and bennies . . .
Jeb

Peabody, MA

#18 Aug 21, 2008
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
So when Route 3 was being widened (a state project) and I would pass 7 to 9 State cruisers in a 15 mile stretch. Who was paying for those guys??? Us the "Taxpayers".
Are you sure you want to keep that screenname?
I still see cops,State/local on rte.3 when the state is just cutting the grass in the median strip,or along the roadway. Why is it neighboring states use flagmen??
Lowell Born

Boston, MA

#19 Aug 21, 2008
It was a reported that a police officer on a detail was run down by a pedestrain who didn't feel the need to stop. What will happen if we put regular citizens in this position and people run them down.
Same Result

AOL

#20 Aug 21, 2008
Lowell Born wrote:
. What will happen if we put regular citizens in this position and people run them down.
They will get hurt , no different than the officer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Billerica crim,e 70s 80s 90s (Jul '08) 6 hr Anonymous 363
News State Rep. Jim Miceli prides himself on not tak... (Oct '10) 20 hr Respect 20
Should an uninsured driver from NH be allowed t... (Aug '08) Jun 24 Umm23 113
News Plethora of pollen blamed on erratic weather pa... Jun 22 Buzz Lightyear 3
Section 8 Fraud (Sep '08) Jun 18 Emily 336
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Jun 16 Linda 759
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Jun 14 Wondering 17,972

Lowell Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowell Mortgages