A toddler, alone in the pouring rain....

A toddler, alone in the pouring rain. Lowell councilor had to act

There are 62 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Nov 17, 2009, titled A toddler, alone in the pouring rain. Lowell councilor had to act. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

It was a raw November morning, the temperature hovering at 50 degrees, with a heavy rain falling.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Dec 07

United States

#2 Nov 17, 2009
Why do some women continually leave their kids with their loser boyfriends?
SpiceyRed

AOL

#5 Nov 17, 2009
Thank you Mrs. Mercier and I do not believe "anyone" would have pulled over to help.
Rosey

Boston, MA

#7 Nov 17, 2009
I have a 2 year old and this does not just happen! 1st you leave your child with some guy not the father, and he falls asleep?!? This is your responsibility at a mother to judge who can watch your child. Good thing someone stopped to help, the mother should be ashamed or be given birth contol.
Steve

Montgomery, AL

#8 Nov 17, 2009
I do think it's possible that someone else would help.

The difference is if it was me or you it wouldn't have made the papers. Because it was Rita it was made sure she would get publicity out of it.
lowelliswack

Boston, MA

#9 Nov 17, 2009
marisol silva is a horrible mother..dss needs to take her child away..marisol and her sisters were also in dss so what does that have to say about her family.this is also the mother who got her son a lineup at 9 months and has had numerous surgeries on his head over the 2 years of his life...poor baby!the father is actually a very good father and is not the boyfriend mention!
Sal

Boston, MA

#12 Nov 17, 2009
Just a thought wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree Steve, she is probably the one that called the Sun. one of those typical emergencies, she points at her daughter, you call the police and I will call the Sun! And said to the kid "shutup kid I'm dialing"!
What is wrong with you kind of people? If Rita did not call the cops, she can be charge as kidnap. If Rita did not stop and pick up this poor kid, possible the kid will run over by a car or someone else kidnap and moles for a few hour or so. Stop think about negative, we need more people like her a lot.
hummm

Worcester, MA

#13 Nov 17, 2009
The fact that she wasn’t "running" down the street tells you a lot about her parenting/ nurturing skills and her love or should i say, lack thereof for her child. It is sad to see what children in our society have to deal with. Her lack of parenting often leads to tax payers bring the burden of nurturing and caring for this child. "My boyfriend fell asleep." Get a life you freakin’ looser! and by the way get a new boyfriend too. Or maybe try a husband. Oh yeah and get a job!
Make Note

Boston, MA

#14 Nov 17, 2009
Funny thing is, she is pregnant again with a different guy than her boyfriend. Her boyfriend knows but they agreed they needed more welfare money. Unbelievable.

Wanan know where bad people come from….people like this. These kids do not have a chance in life.
mary mcdonald

West Palm Beach, FL

#15 Nov 17, 2009
thanks to God this child didn't get run over by a car.
I thank God this woman stoped to help a child.
This mother should be charged with child neglect.
some children in our society don't have a chance!
the mother should not be allowed to have children in her home.
to hell with the dumb a** boyfriend.
they are both living off the fat of the land!
shame on them both!
David

Wakefield, MA

#16 Nov 17, 2009
If this happened in Florida and some other states the mother and boyfriend would have been charged with felony child neglect and the kid would have been taken by DCF (Department of Children & Families). She should count herself lucky and that some creep didn't pick up her kid instead.
Maggie

Salem, MA

#17 Nov 17, 2009
Never mind the detractors Rita - You did the right thing and should be very proid of doing it. Wsy to go !!!
rock and a hard place

Las Vegas, NV

#18 Nov 17, 2009
David wrote:
If this happened in Florida and some other states the mother and boyfriend would have been charged with felony child neglect and the kid would have been taken by DCF (Department of Children & Families). She should count herself lucky and that some creep didn't pick up her kid instead.
Too bad DSS and other places like it can be just as damaging.

It seems there's no happy medium for the poor little ones.
Tyngsboro Resident

Nashua, NH

#19 Nov 17, 2009
as much as it was good that someone stopped and helped out, im sure no one else would have received the publicity Rita has on this. she just loves to read her name in print....now the boston papers have even picked up the story....next thing you know she will be on tv doing interviews with the boston media. its just too bad someone else didnt do this so that we could see how it wouldnt have gotten the publicity she has. Typical politics.
mee from lowell

Dracut, MA

#20 Nov 17, 2009
who cares if rita did this for the publicity or not

if it was your child would nt you be greatful she or anyone else was there to help ???
datcutieuluv2hat e

Somerville, MA

#21 Nov 17, 2009
lowelliswack wrote:
marisol silva is a horrible mother..dss needs to take her child away..marisol and her sisters were also in dss so what does that have to say about her family.this is also the mother who got her son a lineup at 9 months and has had numerous surgeries on his head over the 2 years of his life...poor baby!the father is actually a very good father and is not the boyfriend mention!
I agree she is a horible mother.. she is 2 busy walking down the st. and looking for new baby daddy's i know marisol for a couple of years and i would not be seen with her just becuase of her reputation is horrible and she is nasty!!!!
4th generation

North Weymouth, MA

#22 Nov 17, 2009
The mother is probably a 4th generation welfare recipient and can probably barely speak English. Funny how a certain ethnic population are continually repeat welfare recipients and don't speak much English.
datcutieuluv2hat e

Somerville, MA

#23 Nov 17, 2009
i think marisol is nasty and her child should be taking aways she dont take care of them always have different men in her house and doesnt even work..i have 2 bust my ass working to support her on welfare and her babys and nasty men...
Please

Shrewsbury, MA

#24 Nov 17, 2009
This is news, why? To make the mom look bad? Or to make Mercier look good? Enough.
Ernestine

Sharon, MA

#25 Nov 17, 2009
No good deed goes unpunished.
Maggie

Salem, MA

#26 Nov 17, 2009
I agree - if it were my child , I would be very gratefull that someone decent picked the kid up and called the cops. I don't think Rita leaked this to the press. She gave her name when she called the police.
mee from lowell wrote:
who cares if rita did this for the publicity or not
if it was your child would nt you be greatful she or anyone else was there to help ???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should an uninsured driver from NH be allowed t... (Aug '08) Jun 24 Umm23 113
News Plethora of pollen blamed on erratic weather pa... Jun 22 Buzz Lightyear 3
Section 8 Fraud (Sep '08) Jun 18 Emily 336
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Jun 16 Linda 759
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Jun 14 Wondering 17,972
News Lowell school budget cuts loom (May '10) Jun 10 Wondering 34
Just Saying Jun 10 Wondering 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowell Mortgages