Greater Lowell restaurants serve up d...

Greater Lowell restaurants serve up deals to keep diners coming

There are 205 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Feb 12, 2009, titled Greater Lowell restaurants serve up deals to keep diners coming. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

From half-price wings to dollar oysters to a three-course meal for $33, whatever gets people through the door in a down economy, restaurant owners are trying.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

New Englander

Palm Bay, FL

#202 Mar 8, 2009
You people really need to drive a little bit to go to a good place. Those places in Lowell are old and tired, look at the Olympia, they serve the same food and raised the prices, I don't go there anymore, I go to Salem N.H. for a great lamb dinner at the same cost.
Do yourself a favor, eat at a good place and don't be afraid to travel a little bit.
Anonymous

Tewksbury, MA

#203 Mar 8, 2009
Pearl head wrote:
I never said anything about the 99 which I think is a glorified Wendys but Cobblestones is just overrated. I went there for dinner and ordered the NY sirloin and it was horrible, I actually asked if they ran out of meat and had to run to Market Basket and it was almost $20.00.Now JJ Boomers has to be one of the worst restaurants I've ever been to there is literally nothing good about the place.
Pearl Head, you did mention 99.It makes you look foolish when you back track. Bloggers who are able to remain anonymous get brave and exagerate and I really don't appreciate your cowardly comments. I have never heard of how moonstones is but Cobblestones is a classy place. Yes it is high in price but perhaps that is why you diss them. Just to be posting comments to slam hard working dining establishments is NOT COOL, and I think you are cowardly for doing so. If you don't have anything constructive to say than keep quite.
Chelmsford Kid

Dracut, MA

#206 Mar 8, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Pearl Head, you did mention 99.It makes you look foolish when you back track. Bloggers who are able to remain anonymous get brave and exagerate and I really don't appreciate your cowardly comments. I have never heard of how moonstones is but Cobblestones is a classy place. Yes it is high in price but perhaps that is why you diss them. Just to be posting comments to slam hard working dining establishments is NOT COOL, and I think you are cowardly for doing so. If you don't have anything constructive to say than keep quite.
If you like Cobblestones you'll love Moonstones too. It's classy but unlike its 'traditional' sister restaurant is more of a 'Manhattan' style restaurant. You'd never guess you were in Chelmsford nevertheless an old Ground Round!
nazz

Dracut, MA

#208 Mar 8, 2009
Nazz, we only go this way once from what I know. Go to a nice place and enjoy a great meal, treat yourself to a dessert too!

I will be going out this weekend. I don't know where yet. It's my daughter's birthday and it's her pick. By the way...my favorite dessert is the tiramisu at Cafe Paridiso.
nazz

Dracut, MA

#209 Mar 8, 2009
Chelmsford Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Nazz, why back central? Ricardos and Cobblestones ARE the two best restaurants downtown but not portuguese if that's what you mean.
that wasn't me ...check your post
nazz

Dracut, MA

#210 Mar 8, 2009
You people really need to drive a little bit to go to a good place. Those places in Lowell are old and tired, look at the Olympia, they serve the same food and raised the prices, I don't go there anymore, I go to Salem N.H. for a great lamb dinner at the same cost.
Do yourself a favor, eat at a good place and don't be afraid to travel a little bit.

Would that restautant be the Phoenician? It's very good there. I believe the chef is from Bishop's. They have the same french fries like Bishop's used to have. Great shish-kabob too! They're not Greek. Lebanese or Syrian
Dracut Retiree

Palm Bay, FL

#211 Mar 8, 2009
nazz wrote:
Nazz, we only go this way once from what I know. Go to a nice place and enjoy a great meal, treat yourself to a dessert too!
I will be going out this weekend. I don't know where yet. It's my daughter's birthday and it's her pick. By the way...my favorite dessert is the tiramisu at Cafe Paridiso.
May I make a suggestion, try http://www.phoenicianrestaurant.com/ this is the cooks from the old Bishops that used to be in Lawrence, you will love it. I always the tenderloin, it's much better grade of meat than you get at Sam's.
Dracut Retiree

Palm Bay, FL

#212 Mar 8, 2009
nazz wrote:
You people really need to drive a little bit to go to a good place. Those places in Lowell are old and tired, look at the Olympia, they serve the same food and raised the prices, I don't go there anymore, I go to Salem N.H. for a great lamb dinner at the same cost.
Do yourself a favor, eat at a good place and don't be afraid to travel a little bit.
Would that restautant be the Phoenician? It's very good there. I believe the chef is from Bishop's. They have the same french fries like Bishop's used to have. Great shish-kabob too! They're not Greek. Lebanese or Syrian
Laughing here, I think we posted at the same time!

Have a nice time at dinner.
Chelmsford Kid

Dracut, MA

#213 Mar 8, 2009
nazz wrote:
Nazz, we only go this way once from what I know. Go to a nice place and enjoy a great meal, treat yourself to a dessert too!
I will be going out this weekend. I don't know where yet. It's my daughter's birthday and it's her pick. By the way...my favorite dessert is the tiramisu at Cafe Paridiso.
hhhmmmmm. Nazz, why are you addressing yourself here? hhhmmmmm.
nazz

Dracut, MA

#214 Mar 8, 2009
When your in Salem,NH....Stop in at Mckinnons Butcher Shop. You won't be dissapointed. It's on the main drag (28). Look it up online. Try the Sicillan sausages. You won't want to go out to eat if you shop there...believe me.
New Englander

Palm Bay, FL

#215 Mar 8, 2009
nazz wrote:
When your in Salem,NH....Stop in at Mckinnons Butcher Shop. You won't be dissapointed. It's on the main drag (28). Look it up online. Try the Sicillan sausages. You won't want to go out to eat if you shop there...believe me.
Thank You, I will try them in the spring when I return to Mass.
Teddy P

AOL

#217 Mar 9, 2009
Lowellian wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Ted, Do you want some cheese to go with that WHINE?
Have been eating at the Olympia for forty + years and it's still the best Greek food in Lowell.
Great restaurant...open 60+ years, I believe. I eat there myself at funtions sometimes. Food is great.

If that was your way of taking a shot at me, STRIKE ONE!
Teddy P

AOL

#218 Mar 9, 2009
nazz wrote:
I can list hundreds of restaurants I've been to.....I will not go out much now though because
EVERYTHING has gone up too much in price. I will continue to go out every 10 weeks the my dinnerclub friends. We have been going out for dinner on Sat. night for the past 25 years. Wise Americans will save not spend.
Do you not drive your car when you go out, too. I mean, gas has gone up a lot faster than food costs at restaurants, right?
nazz

Dracut, MA

#219 Mar 9, 2009
Teddy P wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you not drive your car when you go out, too. I mean, gas has gone up a lot faster than food costs at restaurants, right?
Funny you should ask...we car pool!
nazz

Dracut, MA

#220 Mar 9, 2009
We also have a designated driver.
Dracut Retiree

Palm Bay, FL

#222 Mar 23, 2009
nazz wrote:
We also have a designated driver.
Where did you go for that Birthday dinner?
Lowellian

Brighton, MA

#223 Mar 23, 2009
Teddy P wrote:
<quoted text>
Great restaurant...open 60+ years, I believe. I eat there myself at funtions sometimes. Food is great.
If that was your way of taking a shot at me, STRIKE ONE!
Yes Ted, That was a shot at you. Good thing your Dad started a business for you, If you had to start from scratch you'd be in tough shape.

"Duh, you want fries with that?"
Lowellian

Brighton, MA

#224 Mar 23, 2009
Teddy P wrote:
<quoted text>
Great restaurant...open 60+ years, I believe. I eat there myself at funtions sometimes. Food is great.
If that was your way of taking a shot at me, STRIKE ONE!
Yes Ted, That was a shot at you. Good thing your Dad started a business for you, If you had to start from scratch you'd be in tough shape.

"Duh, you want fries with that?"
Teddy P

AOL

#227 Mar 26, 2009
Lowellian wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Ted, That was a shot at you. Good thing your Dad started a business for you, If you had to start from scratch you'd be in tough shape.
"Duh, you want fries with that?"
Aren't you so clever!
BUBBA

Chelmsford, MA

#228 Mar 27, 2009
I love Carrabbas in Tyngsboro. All of their food is good. Best calamari anywhere. We also like Stelios. I would not call it a dive at all. I haven't gotten a bad meal at the Princeton, big menu. We won't go to a restaurant that charges higher prices for alcohol than most. Why would a place do that, you won't get people to go there for a few drinks if they're overpriced.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
High on Crack Street (Aug '08) Sat ronnie 153
Where are Lowell's most haunted places? (Jun '08) Sat Jenn Lowell Highl... 829
Billerica crim,e 70s 80s 90s (Jul '08) Sat MaryJ 351
my wife refuses to get a job! (Aug '09) Jul 25 Carrieing a bag o... 190
News Bicyclist reportedly rode into traffic on busy ... (Jul '08) Jul 23 Suckadick 110
why do girls lie about being pregnant? (Apr '09) Jul 19 Cherrypye89 24
do you remember? (wilmington style) (Aug '08) Jul 18 galpal 350
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lowell Mortgages