Should an uninsured driver from NH be allowed to drive their car in Mass?

Posted in the Lowell Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“Do NOT Feed the Trolls!!!”

Since: Jul 08

Lowell MA

#2 Aug 6, 2008
This is a rhetorical question. It's already illegal to drive in Massachusetts without insurance. It's seldom enforced however.
NH SUX

Boston, MA

#3 Aug 6, 2008
No way!

These NH losers are driving on our roads, and not carrying insurance.

What happens if you're hit by one of these knuckleheads?

From the looks of it most of our trashy neighbors to the North don't have two pennies to rub together.

So, good luck with the hospital bills after you're hit by the speeding white trash fords from NH!

“Do NOT Feed the Trolls!!!”

Since: Jul 08

Lowell MA

#4 Aug 6, 2008
NH SUX wrote:
No way!
These NH losers are driving on our roads, and not carrying insurance.
What happens if you're hit by one of these knuckleheads?
From the looks of it most of our trashy neighbors to the North don't have two pennies to rub together.
So, good luck with the hospital bills after you're hit by the speeding white trash fords from NH!
If you get hit by an uninsured NH driver, you have to chase them in court. Good luck
This is why there is a section of your auto insurance 'coverage from uninsured vehicle". In essence, we're insuring them.
Bronson

New Bedford, MA

#8 Aug 6, 2008
Okay, here is the natural truth on this subject because it happened to me. I was hit in Tyngsboro a few years back by an uninsured NH driver. When we pulled off the road to exchange papers and found this out, I did a 911 for the police. The officer showed up and I made him aware of this situation. He did not know what to do, so I said, if I have to be insured to drive in this state, then the out of stater should be held to the same. He called his Sargent to the scene. He talked to the girl who hit me got her statement and then came over to me. He asked if I had coverage for uninsured driver, to which the response was yes. He then said my insurance would pay me for the damage since she was clearly at fault then the insurance would go after her for to recoup the cost of having to pay me. I said good luck to them on that. Also, my truck was not operable because the bumper was pushed up against the tire. The Sargent then asked me if I had AAA because if they called the town's towing contractor I would have to shell out $90 then fight my insurance for reimbursement. Fun playing by the rules ain't it. I then asked if she was going to be summoned or arrested for violating Mass. law. He said no, my insurance would go after her. What a country, blatant violation of the law and she gets to drive home. The Sargent left, I called AAA, and the officer who responded to the scene, lit a couple of road flares for my safety and left me to wait for the tow truck alone and it is about 20 degrees out. Thanks for nothing. The tow truck came over an hour later and I told him do not tow me, hook a chain up to my bumper and pull it out from the tire and I will drive home. Perhaps I can get home before the Super Bowl starts. He was reluctant and wanted me to sign a waiver of liability before he would do it. Where's the justice. I got hit, and went through more BS than one could take. I said just do it and don't worry. It was the easiest thing he ever did and I went home on my own after that. That is life folks playing by the rules. Good luck to anyone hit my someone without insurance, and yes, get the coverage from your provider, my truck got fixed and my insurance paid without hassle. Hope this info helps.

“Do NOT Feed the Trolls!!!”

Since: Jul 08

Lowell MA

#9 Aug 6, 2008
Bronson,
Thanks for relating that real life example.
There needs to be a policy among the various police departments to tow uninsured cars off Massachusetts roadways. At the very least, a hefty fine for operating without insurance. How much would a Mass resident be fined for driving uninsured?
Tony

Sherborn, MA

#10 Aug 6, 2008
Thank God it wasn't an accident with an illegal alien. They'd probably be suing you.
Bronson, just curious, did your premiums go up after this accident, even though it wasn't your fault?
It's so unfair.

Since: Oct 07

Natick, MA

#11 Aug 6, 2008
I had a similar story Bronson. I got hit by an uninsured NH driver in Tyngsborough. Luckily all of the damage was to his car (he rear ended me at a stop sign and my rear spare tire on my CRV scraped the top of his hood). A cop came by and was at a loss for what to do. You think they would be prepared for such a thing since they share a border with NH.
NH SUX

Boston, MA

#12 Aug 6, 2008
Those stories seem pretty typical of NH people....

Live free or die translates into "I'll do what the f--- I want, and who cares what you think"

Just another reason why NH SUX!!!
Bronson

New Bedford, MA

#13 Aug 6, 2008
Tony wrote:
Thank God it wasn't an accident with an illegal alien. They'd probably be suing you.
Bronson, just curious, did your premiums go up after this accident, even though it wasn't your fault?
It's so unfair.
Premiums did not up, but I think my blood pressure did though.
anonymous

Lowell, MA

#14 Aug 6, 2008
Bronson wrote:
Okay, here is the natural truth on this subject because it happened to me. I was hit in Tyngsboro a few years back by an uninsured NH driver. When we pulled off the road to exchange papers and found this out, I did a 911 for the police. The officer showed up and I made him aware of this situation. He did not know what to do, so I said, if I have to be insured to drive in this state, then the out of stater should be held to the same. He called his Sargent to the scene. He talked to the girl who hit me got her statement and then came over to me. He asked if I had coverage for uninsured driver, to which the response was yes. He then said my insurance would pay me for the damage since she was clearly at fault then the insurance would go after her for to recoup the cost of having to pay me. I said good luck to them on that. Also, my truck was not operable because the bumper was pushed up against the tire. The Sargent then asked me if I had AAA because if they called the town's towing contractor I would have to shell out $90 then fight my insurance for reimbursement. Fun playing by the rules ain't it. I then asked if she was going to be summoned or arrested for violating Mass. law. He said no, my insurance would go after her. What a country, blatant violation of the law and she gets to drive home. The Sargent left, I called AAA, and the officer who responded to the scene, lit a couple of road flares for my safety and left me to wait for the tow truck alone and it is about 20 degrees out. Thanks for nothing. The tow truck came over an hour later and I told him do not tow me, hook a chain up to my bumper and pull it out from the tire and I will drive home. Perhaps I can get home before the Super Bowl starts. He was reluctant and wanted me to sign a waiver of liability before he would do it. Where's the justice. I got hit, and went through more BS than one could take. I said just do it and don't worry. It was the easiest thing he ever did and I went home on my own after that. That is life folks playing by the rules. Good luck to anyone hit my someone without insurance, and yes, get the coverage from your provider, my truck got fixed and my insurance paid without hassle. Hope this info helps.
It is NOT illegal to drive an uninsured vehicle in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. IT IS REQUIRED BY LAW THAT ALL MASS RESIDENTS HAVE AUTO INSURANCE. Check that Mass Gen Laws and you will see the law in black and white. Stop being ignorant folks!

“Do NOT Feed the Trolls!!!”

Since: Jul 08

Lowell MA

#15 Aug 6, 2008
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
It is NOT illegal to drive an uninsured vehicle in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. IT IS REQUIRED BY LAW THAT ALL MASS RESIDENTS HAVE AUTO INSURANCE. Check that Mass Gen Laws and you will see the law in black and white. Stop being ignorant folks!
If that is true, then it is wrong, and the law should be changed
NH SUX

Boston, MA

#16 Aug 6, 2008
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
It is NOT illegal to drive an uninsured vehicle in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. IT IS REQUIRED BY LAW THAT ALL MASS RESIDENTS HAVE AUTO INSURANCE. Check that Mass Gen Laws and you will see the law in black and white. Stop being ignorant folks!
Must be another offending motorist from NH coming to our state to work!

GO BACK TO TRASHUA!

“Say it like you mean it!”

Since: May 08

Houston

#17 Aug 6, 2008
No!!! They should not drive in Massachusetts without insurance. One of my friend husband got hit by a drunk driver from New Hampshire without insurance. He was on duty that night and pulled over another car and bam! The New Hampshire car crashed into the car my friend pulled over.
sadbuttrue

Lowell, MA

#18 Aug 6, 2008
No, I believe everyone should be required to have at least liability. Many people travel to MA and other states for work, medicals, and school. It is the responsible way to protect the person they hit. Insurance really is not an option today. The "Live free or die" motto does not mean lack of responsibility.
Lowellboy

Boston, MA

#19 Aug 6, 2008
Hey, anonymous, read the law before you call anyone ignorant. Mass. General Laws chapter 90, section 3A says cars legally registered in another state can be driven in MA by a non-resident, but not for more than an aggregate of 30 days in any one year, or for more than 30 days after the non-resident becomes employed in MA, unless you have insurance. Failure to carry proof of insurance or produce it at the scene of an accident creates a presumption you are operating illegally.
Just the facts

Lowell, MA

#20 Aug 6, 2008
When you are hit by any uninsured motorist, wether or not they are from NH, forgot to pay their insurance from MA, or don't own a car and borrowed their sisters car who lives at the same address, your Massachusetts auto insurance policy will cover it. People who register cars in NH for the most part have auto insurance, because most of them have loans out on their cars. Those who don't have loans, and choose not to have what we call in MA, Basic insurance are completely responsible for their own losses, however, The state of NH requires any driver who has had an uninsured at fault accident, or a OUI offense to purchase what is called an SR22 coverage which is liability coverage for any auto losses. If you know anyone who has SR22 coverage, you'll know that it cost in the neighborhood of $300-$500 dollars per month, and is not optional if you want to drive in NH. So I understand that being hit by a uninsured driver from any state sucks, but you also have the protection of your own policy. The insurance companies are the ones who go to court, not you. Sure insurance rates go up for everybody because of it, but I think more people from MA, have more uninsured accidents in this state than anyone from any other state. I think NH's policy in responses to uninsured losses blows MA's policies out of the water. Which is probably why they pay less per year in auto insurance. Again Just the Facts.
Manchester

Gloucester, MA

#21 Aug 6, 2008
Sure!! Illegals do it all the time.
Nh Person

Pelham, NH

#22 Aug 6, 2008
When you own a home and work everday most likely you have insurance. Anyone with a car loan has to have insurance it's required by your bank. I bet there are a small amount of unisured NH drivers on mass roads.
the voice

Lowell, MA

#23 Aug 6, 2008
you're probably 1 of the idoits who has nothing to lose and drive uninsured.
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
It is NOT illegal to drive an uninsured vehicle in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. IT IS REQUIRED BY LAW THAT ALL MASS RESIDENTS HAVE AUTO INSURANCE. Check that Mass Gen Laws and you will see the law in black and white. Stop being ignorant folks!

“Do NOT Feed the Trolls!!!”

Since: Jul 08

Lowell MA

#24 Aug 6, 2008
Nh Person wrote:
When you own a home and work everday most likely you have insurance. Anyone with a car loan has to have insurance it's required by your bank. I bet there are a small amount of unisured NH drivers on mass roads.
If you rent, and own your car outright, then you can drive without insurance. A lot of people fit that category.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Freedom of Thought, Belief and Religion 5 hr Wondering 46
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) 12 hr Sammigirl 17,849
News Ten charged in Lowell gang raids; weapons, drug... (Jul '08) May 21 former gang member 666
News Lowell man gets life for city murder (Mar '09) May 21 Killuminati 29
Review: Eblens Clothing & Footwear May 17 mike 1
News State social workers say caseloads are worsening May 16 DCF are Monsters 38
News Pedestrian hit, hurt by pickup truck in Lowell (Jun '10) May 13 Ashley 20
More from around the web

Lowell People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]