Firearms courses fail to meet state s...

Firearms courses fail to meet state standards

There are 9 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from Feb 3, 2009, titled Firearms courses fail to meet state standards. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

The state Public Safety Department says two firearms instructors have been ordered to stop teaching courses for people applying for state licenses to carry concealed weapons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

“Hold Fast”

Since: Oct 08

Rio Rancho, NM

#1 Feb 3, 2009
Note to Peter:
Identify them, send them a letter stating their certification is invalid, advise them they may choose to take civil action and tell them to choose another instructor who does comply from a list your department will provide.
Was that so difficult?
Geesh! Why can't officials make a simple decision and statement in public anymore?
Katie

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#2 Feb 3, 2009
I agree with Ret-Cop. How hard can using common sense be?
dude

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Feb 3, 2009
pull those permits. the students knew the regs and didn't report the infractions made by their instructors to the state. don't need those kind of people carrying around guns.
Steve

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Feb 4, 2009
why would someone want to get a ccl and never take the time to learn how to properly use the weapon? or even the proper time to use it?
i love to go out and shoot targets. i dont even need an excuse like gee i want a ccl. it keeps me acurate and i alwase know what each weapon can do for me.
people if you own a firearm get to a range and go shoot. if you love someone make them go too.
Wally

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Feb 4, 2009
dude wrote:
pull those permits. the students knew the regs and didn't report the infractions made by their instructors to the state. don't need those kind of people carrying around guns.
I agree. Only criminals should have them.
Wally

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Feb 4, 2009
Steve wrote:
why would someone want to get a ccl and never take the time to learn how to properly use the weapon? or even the proper time to use it?
i love to go out and shoot targets. i dont even need an excuse like gee i want a ccl. it keeps me acurate and i alwase know what each weapon can do for me.
people if you own a firearm get to a range and go shoot. if you love someone make them go too.
Steve, I hope you shoot better than you type! lol
Steve Aikens

Clovis, NM

#7 Feb 8, 2009
The students violated the law. They knew they violated the law, and signed under penalty of perjury that they read the law and met the training requirements.

Step one - as specified in 29-19-6 Sec I, 1 & 2 - DPS needs to revoke those licenses immediately.

Step two - determine whether to prosecute those students.

I worked for many years lobbying for this law. I'm not at all happy that these students and instructors have now placed a dark cloud over it - especially when it comes to light when I'm working in the legislature to improve it.

I'm too much of a gentleman to say what I really want to say here.

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

#8 Feb 8, 2009
Let's just hope that former VP Dick Cheney does not start teaching a firearms safety class. On second thought, it might be good for him to teach a special class just for lawyers.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#9 Feb 8, 2009
Steve Aikens wrote:
The students violated the law. They knew they violated the law, and signed under penalty of perjury that they read the law and met the training requirements.
Step one - as specified in 29-19-6 Sec I, 1 & 2 - DPS needs to revoke those licenses immediately.
Step two - determine whether to prosecute those students.
I worked for many years lobbying for this law. I'm not at all happy that these students and instructors have now placed a dark cloud over it - especially when it comes to light when I'm working in the legislature to improve it.
I'm too much of a gentleman to say what I really want to say here.
So now it is the student's responsibility to "police" state certified instructors. And the right to own and keep a firearm in a certain manner is now regulated by the state. It is now made a privilege. It can be given and taken away. Thank you for your effort in getting this done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Loving Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gas $1.97 in Lubbock 8 hr TexinNewMex 2
News Locals say southern flag not a threat 19 hr Imcuriousnow 252
News Council approves leakage study, resolution oppo... 19 hr buddy 1
vacant houses 19 hr buddy 2
News Carlsbad woman gets 3 years for trafficking drugs 21 hr Sad 5
home health care recommendations 21 hr TexinNewMex 5
Republican Stella Davis Thu TexinNewMex 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Loving Mortgages